Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 642

Author Topic: [40.24] ۩۩۩ Genesis Mod ۩۩۩ [ϟ .11c Old Genesis ϟ] - 0.40.25 update by TomiTapio  (Read 1202170 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

P.S. By your tests, hand axes are better, while by raws battle axes are deadlier (they chop off bodyparts easier and penetrate better), I think it's caused by totally random stats.
Must resist...Testing on &...

Edit: I did not include those because what I took by the word axe are those that make the dwarf an axe-user. The skills affect the role I guess.

Edit(II): How do you make the text all small and orderly like that?

Edit(III): I did edit the names of the artifacts to be more in tune, ignore that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:02:59 am by Tiruin »

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

!!UPDATE!!

Deon is indeed correct; battle axes seem to be better at penetrating armour. Evidence is below...

All tests have the same format: 5 male stone dwarfs against 5 male stone dwarfs placed in straight lines 10 paces apart. Team 1 has (one each) steel hand axes. Team 2, steel battle axes (one each).
Both teams have full steel mail armour: mail shirt, helm, 2 x gauntlets, 2 x low boots, mail leggings.

Test 1:
Victory for team 2
Team 1, 5 dead.
Team 2, 1 dead, 4 with minor wounds.
Deaths were more varied: 3, blood loss. 1 was suffocated (bruised right lung). 2 had their brains mulched...

Test 2:
Victory for team 2
Team 1, 5 dead.
Team 2, 1 dead, 2 with minor wounds, 2 with major wound (bruised lung/s)
Deaths: 4, blood loss. 1 was suffocated (bruised right lung). 1 was decapitated.

Test 3:
Victory for team 2
Team 1, 5 dead.
Team 2, 3 dead, 2 with majors wounds (multiple fractures et al)
Deaths: 1, blood loss. 1 was suffocated (bruised right lung). 4 got their heads mulched (same as 1). 1 was decapitated.

I'm keeping the necromancers busy by feeding them children.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

!!UPDATE!!

Deon is indeed correct; battle axes seem to be better at penetrating armour. Evidence is below...

All tests have the same format: 5 male stone dwarfs against 5 male stone dwarfs placed in straight lines 10 paces apart. Team 1 has (one each) steel hand axes. Team 2, steel battle axes (one each).
Both teams have full steel mail armour: mail shirt, helm, 2 x gauntlets, 2 x low boots, mail leggings.

Test 1:
Victory for team 2
Team 1, 5 dead.
Team 2, 1 dead, 4 with minor wounds.
Deaths were more varied: 3, blood loss. 1 was suffocated (bruised right lung). 2 had their brains mulched...

Test 2:
Victory for team 2
Team 1, 5 dead.
Team 2, 1 dead, 2 with minor wounds, 2 with major wound (bruised lung/s)
Deaths: 4, blood loss. 1 was suffocated (bruised right lung). 1 was decapitated.

Test 3:
Victory for team 2
Team 1, 5 dead.
Team 2, 3 dead, 2 with majors wounds (multiple fractures et al)
Deaths: 1, blood loss. 1 was suffocated (bruised right lung). 4 got their heads mulched (same as 1). 1 was decapitated.

Actually if you want a true "science", you should make 50-100 fights and make an approximation :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I've just noticed something... The whole /data/speech branch of the mod is not updated, damn it. For a long time you've missed all the new threats, phrases and dialogue options for the adventure mode :(. I will upload a fix soon (along with -COMMON METALS- artifacts fix).

P.S. To accomodate for the bug, I will prepare a Phoebus version too.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:53:19 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile

AFAIK smaller contact are is better.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

YEY!

I like pheobus far more than Ironhand (or whatever).

Actually if you want a true "science", you should make 50-100 fights and make an approximation :).

Hmmmm, well... the results I have posted were really just meant to give some evidence behind the two previously mentioned theories, not entirely prove (or disprove) them. Besides:
1) I would bet my 100 year old fortress that conclusions would (baring very specific details) be very similiar. I.E. Battle Axes are better at penetrating armour than hand axes.
2) Dwarf Fortress is so random (specifically, too many variables) that these approximation would have little impact unless you needed them for a very similiar scenario.

Its about 1 am here in the Federation of Australia... I really should be getting to bed soon.

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Glad you're back on modding Deon!
Seem like i have to broke my self-imposed veto on adventurer to test the new goodies.
And about tileset, some days ago i fired up Genesis(3.25k Ironhand) and found this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
gem clusters look like... creatures? and when designated turn just plain black.
I suppose it's some sort of tileset mismatching bug, so can someone point me to a solution/editor/literature on the topic?
or even better, can Deon sort it out in the upcoming update ? :P
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Seem like i have to broke my self-imposed veto on adventurer to test the new goodies.
And about tileset, some days ago i fired up Genesis(3.25k Ironhand) and found this
I suppose it's some sort of tileset mismatching bug, so can someone point me to a solution/editor/literature on the topic?
Are you sure you've downloaded the recent update? The gems looked like night creatures after the initial release but I fixed it at once.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

(I removed the latest false positive derail since it was getting reported a lot due to the strident tone.)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

^ Someone should note that in DfHack. Thanks Toady One!

Are you sure you've downloaded the recent update? The gems looked like night creatures after the initial release but I fixed it at once.
Thanks for the notice Deon!

First appearance of those right next to my paused embark:

*Panic* "Oh I know they added night creatures but we have them in fortress mode?!"

-Moments later-

The rough-hewn Milk Quartz cluster has been struck down!Prase the miners!

Sorry, couldn't resist...But it did happen.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:45:37 am by Tiruin »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any chance for named (or even speaking) yet auto-hostile beastmen and centaurs in the new release?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any chance for named (or even speaking) yet auto-hostile beastmen and centaurs in the new release?

Completely off topic, but it is funny how you are only one vowel off having an (almost) identical username to someone else.
Yes...

-Edit-
^ Someone should note that in DfHack. Thanks Toady One!

First appearance of those right next to my paused embark:

*Panic* "Oh I know they added night creatures but we have them in fortress mode?!"

-Moments later-

The rough-hewn Milk Quartz cluster has been struck down!Prase the miners!

Sorry, couldn't resist...But it did happen.

Hilarious.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:43:56 am by slawr34 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

You can add CAN_SPEAK to them AFTER the world is generated. It will keep the war status but give them names (won't help historical figures though).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Note that if they have will have names, said names will be based on the [Translation:_] in the raw entity file. Which means their language.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Deon, I suggest adding head butting to various humanoids as a natural attack
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 642