Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2209887 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Also... THIS is a meat pie:
Thats a forfar bridie. Quite a good looking one too.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

Eh... Alright. Personally, I think that snack cakes include any small handheld cake. For example, pieces of Lembas bread, cornbread with sugar in it, brownies, stuffed mini-pastries (when they aren't mini-pies ), and some forms of donut. Not to mention miniature king cakes.

Also... THIS is a meat pie:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't know what that soupy potted nonsense was.
The "meat pie" picture from Wikipedia. :P

Lembas would be okay, they're technically elven biscuits or human cram from LOTR.

edit: Aseaheru, you're awesome. That was pretty sharp of you. lol   I've never even heard of those.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:24:15 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Lembas would be okay, they're technically elven biscuits or human cram from LOTR.

Tttch. Trust wikipedia. * eye roll *

Also, yea. I know. That's what I was thinking when I thought snack cakes tho. I wasn't necessarily thinking the modern mass-produced theme snacks. Again tho, that's probably because I've never referred to that as a "snack cake" and I barely ever eat them. My mistake.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Thats a forfar bridie. Quite a good looking one too.

A what...?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scottish meat pastry.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, yea. I know. That's what I was thinking when I thought snack cakes tho. I wasn't necessarily thinking the modern mass-produced theme snacks. Again tho, that's probably because I've never referred to that as a "snack cake" and I barely ever eat them. My mistake.
Nah, it's no issue. :) Don't apologize. It was a fun little debate, ground was gained on both sides and nobody was an ass to anybody. (Except maybe me, but I hope not. :-\)

And, the picture on wikipedia was what I've always referred to as a meat pie. :P We have the same names for different things.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Scottish meat pastry.

Ah yes! That's one of the reasons I love Louisiana cuisine, it combines British, French, Spanish, and [Native] American foods into one really awesome meal.

Nah, it's no issue. :) Don't apologize. It was a fun little debate, ground was gained on both sides and nobody was an ass to anybody. (Except maybe me, but I hope not. :-\)

And, the picture on wikipedia was what I've always referred to as a meat pie. :P We have the same names for different things.

Mmhmm, that it was. :) I was talking to my sister and I said "I can't believe we're having a page long argument about snack cakes". She pauses for a second and then replied, "I can."

Yea, that tends to happen a lot on the internet. We call that a pot pie. I prefer my form of the meat pie. If ever you go to Louisiana, be sure you try one before you go. Along with any Cajun restaurant. Just be very careful what you ask for. "Blackened" means that the entire top of your dish will be charred and imbued with the strongest potency of seasoning available at that time. "Cajun" means that it will probably involve some sort of seafood and a liberal application of peppers and salt. Also, "jambalaya" can be made about three different ways ( to the point where they are nearly separate dishes with each method) and a pot of gumbo will always have food for a week. Also, if you come down for Mardi Gras, then be sure to get a Jacques Boudreaux pizza at Deano's in Lafayette. It's a pizza made with crawfish, crab, and shrimp. Meche's Donuts is also amazing... I'm just making myself hungry. Let's just press "Post".

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Potpies are technically meat pies.

As for forfar birdies, whatever version they have in louisiana must be a tad different than the normal one. They dont normally have any spices...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

Yes, that would be different. I'd be somewhat okay with that, there wouldn't really be any reason not to. Snack cakes are worlds removed from meat pies, though.

Meat pie:

Snack cakes:
What if Mass Effect suddenly had Tinkerbell? What if The Little Mermaid showed up to help Marcus through Gears of War? What if there were suddenly rainbows and butterflies all through the world of Stargate? The genres clash. So does this.

Plus, there's how Propman said it that really bothers me:
The incursion of this object in the item_food raws is most vital for next game, I assure you all. How vital? Well, I don't want to spoil anything, but include it you must!
That raises a red flag for me. I'm not going to trust it just on faith, especially when we've already got giant armykilling toys and cute dog people to worry about. :P Those were pushing it already. I'm getting the feeling that the off-genre mods aren't going to stop coming, and we of Spearbreakers have poured two years of our time into developing this universe and its theme. We have reason to make it Serious Business - we have a lot invested in it. Propman isn't really trying to do anything besides insert his own fluff into a story that's already over, between the two games, without really providing a reason for it.

Going back on the other two, take a look at the bronze colossus, for instance. It was never encountered in either Spearkbreakers nor Syrupleaf, or even Boatmurdered. It's not written into the lore at all, but would it break the story if next game, a B_C were to suddenly trundle in and pound a caravan apart? Of course not, because we've already established that it's the creation of some obscure ex-Parasol engineer. The tin tyrant is meant to be nothing more then a mid-boss version of the bronze colossus, whose story was placed there to justify their existence.

The gnolls are already part of the unified setting. Everoc is part of the unified setting. Granted, it's a bit different in that it has been visited by a couple intradimensional corporations, but the point stands. Anything that appears in the U_S background material should be fair game for reference or inclusion, with the agreement of the majority. The main reason why gnolls were chosen out of the other races was:

1.) They were the easiest to code.

2.) Their homeland is south of lower Everoc, so it would make sense for them to appear.

3.) Hyena Man existing is actually a worse affront to the lore then gnolls are.

As for the cake though, I likely should have specified that "snack cakes" were more akin to a slab of bread with berry jam filled within it, as opposed to a processed twinkie. If they really offend you that much, we can simply keep to the current model of everything being an Armok damned biscuit. Or use meat pies instead (though, change the moniker to "pie", as we wouldn't want "sunberry meat pies" without meat in them deceiving our dwarves, wouldn't we?)

And finally, here is a comprehensive list of ways to easily dispatch an armed Tin Tyrant:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:12:28 pm by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Potpies are technically meat pies.

As for forfar birdies, whatever version they have in louisiana must be a tad different than the normal one. They dont normally have any spices...

Yeah, and isn't most Scottish cuisine goat-based? These are beef based. They are seasoned with salt, red pepper flakes, and onion. The better ones have even more seasoning than this. They are then cooked in a fold-over shell and fried, then often coated with a thin brushing of butter if it's meant to be eaten fresh.

Mmm... on researching, they seem very similar after all. The bridies are also made with beef, pepper, and salt according to Wikipedia. Nonetheless, they are very good no matter what you call them.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

As for the cake though, I likely should have specified that "snack cakes" were more akin to a slab of bread with berry jam filled within it, as opposed to a processed twinkie. If they really offend you that much, we can simply keep to the current model of everything being an Armok damned biscuit.

Mm. Nay! Biscuits are but one of many foods. And yea, you were thinking like I was about what a snack cake is.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

total derail:

Take a look at the bronze colossus, for instance. It was never encountered in either Spearkbreakers nor Syrupleaf, or even Boatmurdered. It's not written into the lore at all, but would it break the story if next game, a B_C were to suddenly trundle in and pound a caravan apart? Of course not, because we've already established that it's the creation of some obscure ex-Parasol engineer. The tin tyrant is meant to be nothing more then a mid-boss version of the bronze colossus, whose story was placed there to justify their existence.
They don't have to be encountered in Spearbreakers/Syrupleaf/Headshoots/Boatmurdered. They're already part of Dwarf Fortress and part of the main game. While you may not encounter any teddy bears in a game like Crysis, it would be ridiculous to think they didn't exist in the world. GNOLLS, on the other hand... :P

The gnolls are already part of the unified setting. Everoc is part of the unified setting. Granted, it's a bit different in that it has been visited by a couple intradimensional corporations, but the point stands. Anything that appears in the U_S background material should be fair game for reference or inclusion, with the agreement of the majority.
Ah, but you forget, we're not going by the 1d4chan's Everoc, which is a setting for roleplaying games, and not so much Dwarf Fortress. We're going on a mix of the three preceding fortresses. You won't find anything having anything to do with Holistic Spawn in 1d4chan's very well defined worlds, which are structured to the point (out of necessity, being a roleplaying game) that you can't insert whatever you like. Parasol isn't even mentioned once. 1d4chan's Everoc cuts off sharply after Headshoots at the very latest.
Also, if you go by http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Unified_Setting/Gnolls, gnolls aren't actually on the continent of Everoc at all.

Not really, they already exist in DF. You just don't see them much. Kind of like kids in Halo - just because they're not there doesn't mean humans don't reproduce.

As for the cake though, I likely should have specified that "snack cakes" were more akin to a slab of bread with berry jam filled within it, as opposed to a processed twinkie. If they really offend you that much, we can simply keep to the current model of everything being an Armok damned biscuit.
I really didn't mean to tick you off, and was intending on keeping it in PMs until Captain started that little debate on foodstuffs (which was somewhat enjoyable and enlightening, btw). 
We call those biscuits, though. Or at least, we do where I come from (southern US). It's pretty common to fill small wheat-based "biscuits" with jam (though we call it "jelly" here).

And finally, here is a comprehensive list of ways to easily dispatch an armed Tin Tyrant:

I don't really have so much of an issue with the Tin Tyrant anymore, honestly, not since you rewrote them as a Parasol employee trying to defend his town, rather than an eccentric, oddly advanced, magical toymaker that sounds like something out of Babes in Toyland. :P Tin Tyrant is fine, doesn't really change much, and will only effect the game in rare instances. We have the Megaspawn anyway, which is likely far deadlier.

(I'm actually even somewhat iffy on manamaids, btw, and they've been around since before Spearbreakers even started.)

edit: Wait, are you saying that conventional weapons are entirely ineffective against tin tyrants? Because that would be a problem.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:20:50 pm by Talvieno »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, and isn't most Scottish cuisine goat-based? These are beef based. They are seasoned with salt, red pepper flakes, and onion. The better ones have even more seasoning than this. They are then cooked in a fold-over shell and fried, then often coated with a thin brushing of butter if it's meant to be eaten fresh.
No, thats middle eastern.

Scottish food is mostly based on what the english didnot want to get from them, so inotherwords creative use of organs.

Forfar birdies are beef, and have salt and black pepper.
No bushings of butter, but otherwise sounds like the same...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

total derail:

Take a look at the bronze colossus, for instance. It was never encountered in either Spearkbreakers nor Syrupleaf, or even Boatmurdered. It's not written into the lore at all, but would it break the story if next game, a B_C were to suddenly trundle in and pound a caravan apart? Of course not, because we've already established that it's the creation of some obscure ex-Parasol engineer. The tin tyrant is meant to be nothing more then a mid-boss version of the bronze colossus, whose story was placed there to justify their existence.
They don't have to be encountered in Spearbreakers/Syrupleaf/Headshoots/Boatmurdered. They're already part of Dwarf Fortress and part of the main game. While you may not encounter any teddy bears in a game like Crysis, it would be ridiculous to think they didn't exist in the world. GNOLLS, on the other hand... :P

The gnolls are already part of the unified setting. Everoc is part of the unified setting. Granted, it's a bit different in that it has been visited by a couple intradimensional corporations, but the point stands. Anything that appears in the U_S background material should be fair game for reference or inclusion, with the agreement of the majority.
Ah, but you forget, we're not going by the 1d4chan's Everoc, which is a setting for roleplaying games, and not so much Dwarf Fortress. We're going on a mix of the three preceding fortresses. You won't find anything having anything to do with Holistic Spawn in 1d4chan's very well defined worlds, which are structured to the point (out of necessity, being a roleplaying game) that you can't insert whatever you like. Parasol isn't even mentioned once. 1d4chan's Everoc cuts off sharply after Headshoots at the very latest.
Also, if you go by http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Unified_Setting/Gnolls, gnolls aren't actually on the continent of Everoc at all.

Not really, they already exist in DF. You just don't see them much. Kind of like kids in Halo - just because they're not there doesn't mean humans don't reproduce.

I really didn't mean to tick you off, and was intending on keeping it in PMs until Captain started that little debate on foodstuffs (which was somewhat enjoyable and enlightening, btw). 
We call those biscuits, though. Or at least, we do where I come from (southern US). It's pretty common to fill small wheat-based "biscuits" with jam (though we call it "jelly" here).

I don't really have so much of an issue with the Tin Tyrant anymore, honestly, not since you rewrote them as a Parasol employee trying to defend his town, rather than an eccentric, oddly advanced, magical toymaker that sounds like something out of Babes in Toyland. :P Tin Tyrant is fine, doesn't really change much, and will only effect the game in rare instances. We have the Megaspawn anyway, which is likely far deadlier.

(I'm actually even somewhat iffy on manamaids, btw, and they've been around since before Spearbreakers even started.)

edit: Wait, are you saying that conventional weapons are entirely ineffective against tin tyrants? Because that would be a problem.

Actually, I was more worried that I got our most competent writer irate at my constant arbitrary suggestions, which is really, really bad. The main reason I'm putting stuff out that doesn't seem immediately relevant at the moment is that once we actually generate the world, most of the raws will be set in stone. Hence why it is of the upmost importance that we decide what will and will not be in the next game, as well as debug it and set it up for whatever raw changes next version will have so we don't have any snags.

Also, stuff like manamaids and the like are what make Everoc DF different from the norm, and add to the flavour of the setting. You appear to be well aware that things that aren't immediately written into the narrative can have as much as an effect to the story as things that are, and hence seem a bit hesitant to add in anything that hasn't been immediately mentioned to be relevant to the story. I can certainly see why, as you don't want anything to appear as a deus ex machina, which is a common sign of bad writing. Keep in mind this isn't always a good thing, however. Think of all the alien rubbish that goes on in Starwars, for instance, the stuff that never gets explained in the scenes they appear in, forcing you to dig through volumes of the EU in order to figure out what they are. Would you have preferred it that they all be explained to you on-scene? Of course not, that ruins the pacing of the story, and sometimes, it's best that things are explained outside the proper of the story itself to preserve the flow of the story as a whole. The Scythods meshed in with Spearbreakers just fine (well, I guess that isn't 100% the same as they haven't appeared in game...yet), and so long as we figure out how to balance out the new stuff we add with the old so that no one part is more dominating then it needs to be, it would be great if we could leave the future of the setting a bit more open, but also make sure to figure out what goes into it earlier so as to give more leeway into meshing it in.

Also, while Parasol and Ballpoint might not have appeared in the Everock proper, they were things that we've decided to add into our version of the setting. I'm not saying that we stay 100% kosher to the US, but as long as we're (loosely) basing the game off it anyways, we could always take the time to figure out how the whacky hijinks of Everock (which as far as head canon goes, I think is the world in its entirety to the dwarves at this point) might interact with the rest of the world, or how the rest of the world might subtly interact with Everock.

As for the convention weapons issues...Yes and no, sorta. A bunch of dwarves clad in iron+ should still be theoretically able to take out a tin tyrant if it's only using a copper short sword, but even then, it's damn near unstoppable to anything it can physically harm with said sword. Generally, something has to go really, really wrong for it to actually handle a sword in the first place, but what I said about it able to destroy a village with a steel blade is not a lie. Basically, treat it with caution; Don't overreact to it, but don't leave it in a position where it might grab at your civies (as opposed to your skivvies, which while embarrassing, will at least ensure that it cannot grab a sword).
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 815