Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2214103 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

Two to three hours, usually... Why, do you have an idea?

Kinda, sorta... If you have access to mainstream telecommunications, and if it's in any way plausible, you could try and get your biological father to help. (Unless your relationship and those of your siblings with him are less-than-amicable, in which case don't listen to me :S)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

No, we're on very good terms with him, he's just... well, just barely scraping by. He moves around the country (and world) a lot. Being in a really specialized field of chemistry, it's usually hard for him to find a job. He hasn't had the funds to visit us in over two years, and my mom loathes him. I think she might actually hate me a bit just because I look like him. She certainly doesn't act the same way towards my brothers as she does me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:29:03 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah. I see...

Back to the Void to run some more ideas around for me, then :/

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

So, Talvien, I printed a copy of Chapter 64 to read... and promptly forgot it at school. >.< Oh well, at least I can still read it here.
Heh, lucky, I'd love to have a printed copy of it all to read. ...Then again, I'd probably mark it all up with proofreading. I regularly correct my own grammar in the Skulker's Tale thread.

Oh good, because I've made it my personal mission to have it "published" for you. In effect, I'm going to use my leatherworking skills to bind you your own personal copy of each major section of A Skulker's Tale and send them to you via mail.

Also... can we send any funds to TalviDad? Seems like he could be a big help if he were capable of doing so.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I doubt my dad would accept anything, and more importantly, I have no idea where he is - he's without a way to talk to us most of the time. :P It still goes against everything I am to accept money from people without offering something in return, though. I'm not sure what I would have to offer, anyway.

As to the bookbinding, that would be awesome. :o I love that idea, though I'd still like to offer you something in return for it, if you can think of anything. lol
I'll try not to "edit" them. >.>
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:06:02 am by Talvieno »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It still goes against everything I am to accept money from people without offering something in return, though. I'm not sure what I would have to offer, anyway.

You could consider it payment or endorsement for the Vanya story.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm... I guess I could do that, yeah... still. >.> The Vanya story isn't just me - all of you guys put work into it, in one way or another, even if just with feedback - if you affected the Spearbreakers canon in any way, it's reflected in her tale.

Something I've been working on related to that... I needed a song for Vanya to hear in an upcoming scene, but I'm not going to put the lyrics/poem into the story. It'd be weird to have a single song/poem in the book when the rest of it's text, and in addition, it comes close to breaking the suspension of disbelief for her to remember the lyrics to an entire song long enough for her to write in her journal. :P I guess it could be in an appendix or something.

It's supposed to be an emotional song that particularly shakes her to her core, but I wanted to be careful to make sure it sounded vague enough that it wasn't forced... like it was tailored for a wider audience than just her, but that she got something special from it. It'll be a big moment for her... but I don't want to spoil anything by telling too much about it.

Spoiler: Lyrics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:29:32 pm by Talvieno »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, you're a far better lyricist than I, that's for sure :P

(Those lyrics... :O Do you mind if I synth a melody for it and then get someone (or, if worst comes to worst, me) to sing it? That is, if I ever lose my fascination with Black MIDIs...)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Those lyrics... :O Do you mind if I synth a melody for it and then get someone (or, if worst comes to worst, me) to sing it? That is, if I ever lose my fascination with Black MIDIs...)
Go right ahead. :D I'd love to hear what you come up with.

I kind of imagine that Vanya's favorite musical genre would be something along the lines of synthpop/electronica/trance (something like Ellie Goulding's "Lights", as an example)... which isn't generally my preferred genre of music, but I think it's what she'd like, and in the story, that'll be about what she's listening to (though I won't specifically say what genre it is). You can do whatever you want with it, though. (just warning that I won't necessarily use your version in the story, as I already have it planned out.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:59:09 pm by Talvieno »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

How about we all try to sing it? :p  Embarrassing oneself is always more fun if it's done as a group.

E: Just a suggestion (I really need to read the damn story so I can have a better basis for this stuff), but instead of having the whole song be pertinent to her (not that I'm saying it is, I have no way of knowing short of reading the story), maybe have just one or two parts that jump out at her? That's usually how it is with me.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:20:57 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about we all try to sing it? :p  Embarrassing oneself is always more fun if it's done as a group.

E: Just a suggestion (I really need to read the damn story so I can have a better basis for this stuff), but instead of having the whole song be pertinent to her (not that I'm saying it is, I have no way of knowing short of reading the story), maybe have just one or two parts that jump out at her? That's usually how it is with me.
That'll be hard. lol   I don't know if you've ever tried to say stuff at the same time as somebody else online before, but when you try to do it in Skype, it comes out as a huge mess due to the tiny fraction-of-a-second lag delays. I guess we could each record ourselves singing it and then send it in, but then you lose the "as a group" feeling and you feel singled out. Or maybe you weren't really serious and I'm taking you too seriously. (also, I imagined a girl singing it. random.)

As to your suggestion, yeah, most of the song is just poetic stuff that doesn't apply to her, really. What's really going to get her moving is going to be the music - the beat of the song, and all that - and then halfway through, she'll hear these lines:

"Stone, moon, and shadow
I need you here with me"

I'll probably have her mention those lines in her journal, because it'll remind her so much of her almost-kiss with Urist in the Gorlak Caves that she'll break down.
edit: I had her write this about the gorlak cave in her journal:
"The moonlight shifted again, throwing moonbeams upon the walls, glittering gems catching the reflections and throwing them about in a beautiful cascade of colors; the shining elven moonlight combining, intertwining, with the solid dwarven stone."

A big thing to note is that she's never really listened to music before, so any music she hears is going to have a much stronger psychological effect on her than it would on most other people - I speak from experience here.

edit: what'll be interesting is seeing if I can pull off giving her an experience that will make her actually be able to relate to the rest of the song - but afterwards. Although, Urist has technically rescued her at least twice before, so she might be able to most of the rest of it already... but, the point is largely moot because she'll be listening to the music instead of the lyrics... it's how I do things. I could never be content with writing two lines and pretending the rest of the song was actually there - I have to write the rest of it to be satisfied. I may have her mention some of the rest of it, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

I was mainly just posting it in thread because "why not", though.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:39:03 am by Talvieno »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Something I've been working on related to that... I needed a song for Vanya to hear in an upcoming scene, but I'm not going to put the lyrics/poem into the story. It'd be weird to have a single song/poem in the book when the rest of it's text, and in addition, it comes close to breaking the suspension of disbelief for her to remember the lyrics to an entire song long enough for her to write in her journal. :P I guess it could be in an appendix or something.

Oh really? I'd believe it.

In fact, here's some lyrics from random songs I have memorized.

Ok. Bad examples, I don't really remember the rest of the lyrics. I still think it's an acceptable break from reality. The thing I'd be concerned about is a break of flow. Those lyrics are long enough to break the flow of a chapter, 'specially with how short some of your chapters tend to be. An insert should never outweigh the rest of the content in a chapter. Mr Frog is probably right. Pick out the parts that are most emotionally significant to Vanya.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Okay, so question. Does anyone want to have at a standardizing of the materials for certain creatures for SBII? I figure with all the changes that will be made we'll need to do something to reduce the eventual drag from so much crap to keep track of, especially since I want to try and merge it with a slightly reduced Civilization Forge (until its Alchemy feature is made more useful and less novelty,) and some weaker fortress defense races. I'd do it myself but I have absolutely no understanding of materials beyond mildly modifying metals.

I figure an increase in cultures such as the xelics and chaos dwarves (possibly here as deranged Holistic Detective worshipers or something like that,) as well as beak wolves and stranglers, roving spawn, and other assorted nasties will make the inlands as dangerous as intended to be.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile

Okay, so question. Does anyone want to have at a standardizing of the materials for certain creatures for SBII? I figure with all the changes that will be made we'll need to do something to reduce the eventual drag from so much crap to keep track of, especially since I want to try and merge it with a slightly reduced Civilization Forge (until its Alchemy feature is made more useful and less novelty,) and some weaker fortress defense races. I'd do it myself but I have absolutely no understanding of materials beyond mildly modifying metals.

IIRC you can use Rubble to automatically standardize materials in your mod without any real knowledge of how rubble works. Duplicate the file beforehand though, since it can sometimes delete the raws in my experience.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

IIRC you can use Rubble to automatically standardize materials in your mod without any real knowledge of how rubble works. Duplicate the file beforehand though, since it can sometimes delete the raws in my experience.

I think it pretty much does delete some files out of necessity unless I read something wrong. Guess I can give it a go myself.
Pages: 1 ... 689 690 [691] 692 693 ... 815