Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 119

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 254597 times)

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1680 on: January 13, 2023, 05:26:13 pm »

That pyromancy mod is finished with the help of some smarter people from this board, now I'm feeling ambitious and wish to make more types of -mancers. Starting with one revolving around either wind or water.

GadgetPatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: January 13, 2023, 09:18:50 pm »

I'm currently plugging away at a different take on the old Playable Kobolds idea. Trying to keep the spirit as close as possible to DF's Kobolds, without veering too hard into Forgotten Realms kobolds, or the whole Aboriginal Cutebold territory. Tentatively titled Kobold Caverns.

The general idea so far:
- Kobolds have local-only government, with no central monarch supporting your expedition, so your settlement is largely on it's own.
- Diplomacy and trade are technically options, but your Kobolds aren't particularly well-liked, so positive relations are an uphill battle.
- Kobolds are prone to banditry, and even your own civ can splinter off into rogue camps that might give you trouble.
- As your settlement grows, all military and social leaders become elected mini-nobles, who demand trinkets and special treatment.
- Kobolds tend to bond quickly, and have multiple kids which grow up as fast as animals, to make up for the low immigration.
- A broader range of intelligent creatures/monsters can petition to settle at your camp, like harpies and serpent-folk.
- You can metal-craft, but you'll need to acquire anvils from your neighbors. And alloys, if you want to use harder metal than copper or lead.
- Due to being tiny, Kobolds use smaller weapons and tools, though some Dwarf weapons can be 2-handed by particularly mighty kobolds.
- Kobolds are anxious little critters, and tend to flee or go catatonic in melee. They do best with war animals, traps, and ranged weapons.
- To round out their ranged damage types, they can use cloth and leather slings, which use Throwing skill to deal ranged blunt damage.
- When they can't steal, they rely on wood, stone, and animal products. Expanded bone, shell, scale, ceramic, and wood crafting are available.
- Kobolds have access to unique animals, like large cave rats for meat, dog-sized wooly spiders for silk, or helmet snakes for eggs (and venom).
- They lack artful language, but still dance and play music (with gibberish lyrics and single-note melodies, but they're doing their best).

And since the graphical release doesn't have a working kobold sprite sheet for most clothes and gear, I've been re-spriting all their equipment! Whoof!

Also pictured here are some of their new small weapons, and a few pets.

I ran into a bit of a snag trying to let them envenom their weapons and traps without DFHack. Latest attempt was a ridiculous idea, to use a crafting recipe that creates a "venom gas", which induces an inhalation syndrome that briefly panics them and enables them to use a fear-based interaction to emit venom mist from their hands and onto their weapons. But the result was weird, clumsy, and wasn't consistently triggering.

For now, they have access to several venomous war animals, and I'll probably add proper venom support when the game allows, or if I get any better ideas for doing it without hacks! Hoping to release the first draft on the Steam Workshop, and backport it to classic over the next week or so.

That pyromancy mod is finished with the help of some smarter people from this board, now I'm feeling ambitious and wish to make more types of -mancers. Starting with one revolving around either wind or water.

Always thought magic mods were a neat concept! If you're looking for ideas, interactions like PROPEL_UNIT could be neat for wind. And I think dust clouds made of fixed-temp supercold materials can make things freeze, for water.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: January 16, 2023, 12:01:46 am »

Yeah, freezing materials will 100% kill any creature they land on, its often guaranteed death. They can be almost as nasty as fire, but they don't spread destruction across the map.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: January 17, 2023, 10:37:18 am »

I didn't expect mammals to be nearly as difficult to make as they are, but I think my new method works better than just editing existing sprites.

Andrewtherium = Andrewsarchus + Deinotherium

I downscaled the picture from Jurassic World Alive wiki, then did my best to  convert the result to DF artstyle (still sounds weird to me). It's not looking bad, considering my complete lack of artistic skills. Vaguely looks like a mutant elephant freak.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: January 19, 2023, 01:03:40 pm »

I had a spat of civil violence that killed around 18 denizens, but unlike the old civil war bug, it petered out on its own. Did seem to be sparked off by an axe lord tantruming and swinging fists around and resulted in a ton of injuries but everyone got over it. I'm wondering if its because I set the KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER ethics to PERSONAL_MATTER; either allowing the violence or preventing it from becoming a death spiral.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: January 19, 2023, 04:58:08 pm »

I had a spat of civil violence that killed around 18 denizens, but unlike the old civil war bug, it petered out on its own. Did seem to be sparked off by an axe lord tantruming and swinging fists around and resulted in a ton of injuries but everyone got over it. I'm wondering if its because I set the KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER ethics to PERSONAL_MATTER; either allowing the violence or preventing it from becoming a death spiral.
Civil violence is not a bug and happens with regular ethics too. And, yes, having it peter out is due to bug fixes as death spirals aren't fun. Now we can enjoy the occasional barroom brawl. Just make sure you have plenty of beds in the hospital. Seems to finally be working, which is nice.

It would be nice to have our Killing is Personal civs instantly murder one another like in worldgen, but that doesn't happen in fortress mode yet (except in a Fell Mood of course).

("Theft is OK" civs work. No-one reports artifact heists. Captain of the Guard has little to do but grumble about chains. Ha ha...).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 05:01:30 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: January 19, 2023, 08:39:12 pm »

Civil violence is not a bug and happens with regular ethics too. And, yes, having it peter out is due to bug fixes as death spirals aren't fun. Now we can enjoy the occasional barroom brawl. Just make sure you have plenty of beds in the hospital. Seems to finally be working, which is nice.

It would be nice to have our Killing is Personal civs instantly murder one another like in worldgen, but that doesn't happen in fortress mode yet (except in a Fell Mood of course).

("Theft is OK" civs work. No-one reports artifact heists. Captain of the Guard has little to do but grumble about chains. Ha ha...).

I noticed the theft thing too, which makes me want to know which ethic represents "I don't care if you steal from each other but steal from us, as a collective, and your guts are gonna be made into garters".

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: January 19, 2023, 09:00:17 pm »

Did some low light vision stuff today. Been bugging me that creatures are mostly either without low light vision or can see perfectly in the dark. Tried to find out if there's any info on the values, but couldn't find any except what's on the creature token page of the Wiki.

Probably this info is somewhere and maybe I understood wrong, but this is what my testing resulted in:

Code: [Select]
LOW LIGHT VISION RANGES (tested in 0.47.05):

734-10000 = 25 tiles
700-733 = 24 tiles
667-699 = 23 tiles
634-666 = 22 tiles
600-633 = 21 tiles
567-599 = 20 tiles
534-566 = 19 tiles
500-533 = 18 tiles
467-499 = 17 tiles
434-466 = 16 tiles
400-433 = 15 tiles
367-399 = 14 tiles
334-366 = 13 tiles
300-333 = 12 tiles
267-299 = 11 tiles
234-266 = 10 tiles
200-233 = 9  tiles
167-199 = 8  tiles
134-166 = 7  tiles
100-133 = 6  tiles
67-99 = 5  tiles
1-66 = 4  tiles
0 = 3  tiles

No idea why such a broad range for perfect low light vision when others are 1 tile per 33.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: January 20, 2023, 04:59:06 am »

got done messing with finding out a way to install wagons and a fake baron position to my custom entity civs, and realize animal entity tokens now grant labor access to semi-citizens and there's a process to slowly grant them access to full citizenship either through doing historical acts of violence and/or crafting then waiting 2+ years for them to petition to the fort.

then I got told you could tame zombies which spiral me into making a civ of necromancers that I'm going to play around that info and see how far I could push zombie making industry.
since you could trade caged tame zombies.

said civ of necromancers are a modified raw ripped angel group of humanoids made of green glass with 3 long hanging tails that turn into swords and spread necromancer secrets via line of sight and via greeting( currently testing to see if this works)
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: January 20, 2023, 02:51:17 pm »

Spreading secrets through a cdi should work, yes, I tried to do that for Spellcrafts mundane spells, so they'll become learn able skills that can be written down and passed on to apprentices. Don't think it will happen in WG though. They'll pick up the secret and start using its interactions. But they never seem to start writing books and necromancer apprenticeships don't seem to happen in fort mode.

Also, my familiars and summoned critters have been becoming citizens too. The familiars are strictly pets for some reason still but a summoned Unnatural Child from the birth secret became a full fort member and I assigned her to the mining detail and she does in fact mine. I assigned her to the hospital but nobody's been hurt (and survived) yet so no idea if she'll take up medical professions.

I think it may be because the unnatural child doesn't have a PET tag, and familiars do. If I remove that from them and peons maybe they'll start becoming full citizens too. But I can assign them to militia squads as-is. They're just so small and wimpy and their magic abilities aren't great, so they tend to die horribly.

I'm going to push this as far as I can, because being able to summon new fort citizens in the event you don't get migrants sounds rad.

But should I make a reaction+spell for summoning actual dwarves/humans/elves/etc or just keep doing peons and familiars only?

Also my mayor was cursed by a deity in WG to turn into a giant hamster every full moon. No rampages, just inconveniences her. The curse works!

I also had a wereopposom show up on a "rampage." Because they're not CRAZED, he walked right past my door guards and entered the fort, but then got in a fight with and was mauled to death by my dogs. So, non-crazed werebeasts might not be hostile to your citizens, but may be hostile to your animals, for some reason. No idea why, but that's important to know.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 03:00:06 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: January 20, 2023, 03:23:13 pm »

I also had a wereopposom show up on a "rampage." Because they're not CRAZED, he walked right past my door guards and entered the fort, but then got in a fight with and was mauled to death by my dogs. So, non-crazed werebeasts might not be hostile to your citizens, but may be hostile to your animals, for some reason. No idea why, but that's important to know.

Could it be LARGE_PREDATOR that causes that? I think (generated) werebeasts have that token.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: January 20, 2023, 04:57:21 pm »

I'll have to check the raws to see if I even have that tag in there, they were supposed to be chill, friendly werecreatures.
I make Spellcrafts!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: January 21, 2023, 09:21:47 am »

Fast worldgen in 50.0x is great for testing longer worlds. I have very busy worlds, with lots of new entities and I love studying the interaction between all of them. Being able to pump out thousand year old worlds relatively quickly has been great.

Haven't checked too far into Legends of my latest world, but the king is a goblin-turned-necromancer experiment, the outpost liaison and most of the nobility are Dark Elves and the untamed wilds are swarming with at least three different kinds of experiments.

It feels like civilization is collapsing rather nicely.

GadgetPatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: January 22, 2023, 11:27:34 am »

Is there a faster way to generate worlds? A setting I overlooked somewhere or something? Or is it just generating smaller worlds.

I'm making some kobold banditry-related tweaks, and some hidden cave-dwelling animalfolk civs, and I want to see that they're doing their thing correctly.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1694 on: January 22, 2023, 12:35:57 pm »

Is there a faster way to generate worlds? A setting I overlooked somewhere or something? Or is it just generating smaller worlds.

I'm making some kobold banditry-related tweaks, and some hidden cave-dwelling animalfolk civs, and I want to see that they're doing their thing correctly.

There's a command line command for generating worlds in 0.47.05 as far as I know. Though I haven't actually tried it and who knows if it still works in v50.

Just got Teh LOLmod up to v50. Well, hopefully; it worked in 0.47 and produces no errorlog messages when you create a world.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 119