Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10441 10442 [10443] 10444 10445 ... 10989

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13451115 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156630 on: April 12, 2021, 11:13:17 am »

diarrhea is the word for liquid shit so what is the word for solid piss?

(Time sensitive question please respond)

Stuck in the tube.
But yeah, kidney stones
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156631 on: April 12, 2021, 11:27:07 am »

Could also just be a urinary tract infection
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156632 on: April 12, 2021, 12:03:38 pm »

If your piss is solid, and you are not standing outside in -30C or colder, you should see a doctor.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156633 on: April 12, 2021, 04:01:19 pm »

omg I saw that video where a guy throws boiling water off his balcony in Ukraine, and it just *snows*
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156634 on: April 12, 2021, 04:07:06 pm »

Oh, I see how it is, Windows, 20 thousand PNGs in the same directory is perfectly fine, but 50 RAW images cause your performance to shit the bed?! Goddamnit. It's like it's desperately trying to make thumbnails for images it cannot open. Is there a way to disable thumbnail generation for certain file extensions?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156635 on: April 12, 2021, 05:25:52 pm »

Used to be able to change the view in the folder. Not sure with Windows 10.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156636 on: April 12, 2021, 05:42:40 pm »

Just do Ctrl+(mousewheel up/down). At first it zooms in/out, but at some point the view changes.

I have this conspiracy though: Explorer, even in Details view when it's utterly useless to load thumbnails, still tries to do that. Opening a folder with a bunch of RAW images causes the same kind of slowdown in Details view. It's dumb, in other words. It's trying to go through every possible thing that a .raw extension could imply and slows down the system with it, I think. It's a tenacious thing, I'll give it that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156637 on: April 12, 2021, 07:38:53 pm »

Someone donated about a half dozen volumes of the Journal of Recreational Mathematics to the library, today. Not the oddest thing that's been donated to our rural public library since I've been working there (that's either the handbook of helicopter blade aerodynamics, the one that had erotic pyrophilia as a major plot point, or the one where a granny fucked an angel to regain her youth, I think), but it's probably in the current top ten or so. Somewhere.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #156638 on: April 12, 2021, 07:47:29 pm »

Mathematics should never be used recreationally.

The medical benefits, on the other hand, could be hugely beneficial.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156639 on: April 12, 2021, 07:49:16 pm »

Someone donated about a half dozen volumes of the Journal of Recreational Mathematics to the library, today. Not the oddest thing that's been donated to our rural public library since I've been working there (that's either the handbook of helicopter blade aerodynamics, the one that had erotic pyrophilia as a major plot point, or the one where a granny fucked an angel to regain her youth, I think), but it's probably in the current top ten or so. Somewhere.

You seem to know a lot of specific details about these weird books. Does the library force you to read them before you put them on the shelf?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156640 on: April 12, 2021, 08:52:58 pm »

Hey, recreational mathematics is fun! And not that obscure either. Conway's Game of Life first appeared in a recreational mathematics column, I think.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156641 on: April 12, 2021, 09:19:39 pm »

Why would helicopter blade aerodynamics count as an odd book?

Disk loading, ground effect, wake effects, auto-rotation, all good stuff!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156642 on: April 12, 2021, 09:27:06 pm »

Isn't every form of math recreational at first? After all, no-one thought that the current "difficulty" (difficult to solve efficiently; the brute-force algorithms are trivial but inefficient) of prime factorization would be useful in public-key encryption as a one-way function. Number theory was recreational until modern cryptography arrived.

Boolean algebra? That was 1847! Dude who made it didn't even live to see a computer, yet it's the fundamental theory behind almost every computer you've ever interacted with. The exception there is for the computers that don't use binary internally. Those are a bit rare as physical machines, or they're virtual machines for an esoteric programming language.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156643 on: April 12, 2021, 09:48:06 pm »

You seem to know a lot of specific details about these weird books. Does the library force you to read them before you put them on the shelf?
Read them through, no. Check reviews and sometimes skim over parts (to confirm review contents, among other things like condition or printing error checks), yes. You pick up a decent amount doing that, particularly if you read fast enough and/or are (morbidly) curious enough to take a moment scope out a page or three just make sure you're not hallucinating and, yes, that actually got published.

Yes, it actually got published. Iirc the pyrophilia one sent us multiple copies as a promotion for their book (we yeeted the lot; beyond the magical forest stuff the writing was remarkably shit and the general subject something our patrons don't circulate much).

Why would helicopter blade aerodynamics count as an odd book?

Disk loading, ground effect, wake effects, auto-rotation, all good stuff!
It's a rural public library. There's functionally or literally no one within like an hour or better's drive that would have need or interest in a helicopter blade aerodynamics technical book, and it's wildly at odds with patron interests or the rest of the collection (too specific, not to mention that particular one was a good 15+ years old). It was odd it was still in decent-ish condition, and odd someone thought it was a good idea to donate it to a general use public library at all (though think is a strong word a lot of time, from what I've seen. We appreciate it and try to treat donations better than most things, but I'm pretty sure some folks just dump old book collections on us to clean out space).

Mostly it was just that it was a hyper focused subject matter; most of the time that sort of technical writing doesn't make it into the general population to get donated to us to begin with.

Hey, recreational mathematics is fun! And not that obscure either. Conway's Game of Life first appeared in a recreational mathematics column, I think.
Some degree of it isn't that obscure, but these weren't a column or part of a general book of puzzles or whatever; it's literally a journal series of recreational mathematics. That, specifically, is pretty unusual. Not super unusual, but like I said, probably in the top ten or so most unusual I've seen in the last year or two.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156644 on: April 13, 2021, 12:23:02 am »

Oh, I see how it is, Windows, 20 thousand PNGs in the same directory is perfectly fine, but 50 RAW images cause your performance to shit the bed?! Goddamnit. It's like it's desperately trying to make thumbnails for images it cannot open. Is there a way to disable thumbnail generation for certain file extensions?

Don't use explorer. Use a third-party file browser, such as Master commander, EF commander, Altap Salamander, etc... . They do not generate thumbnails and can have multiple (at least 2) directories open in the same window, allowing for easier file manipulation.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 10441 10442 [10443] 10444 10445 ... 10989