Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 431339 times)

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #615 on: April 08, 2012, 10:29:25 pm »

Another excellent post, Mister Talvieno. Keep it up.

But so help me Armok if anything I disapprove of happens to KodKod I will find where you live and kill your loved ones.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #616 on: April 08, 2012, 10:30:36 pm »

I know we're all probably going to die,

But my hand's broken?

Ah crap.

Someone get me two mechanisms, a large serrated steel disc and a gauntlet.

Fix this evil dead style.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 08, 2012, 10:32:19 pm »

*Digs himself up to the surface.*
I am finally free!

Huh.. That's odd.. I didn't know rain could be purple..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:33:50 pm by Ultimuh »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 08, 2012, 10:35:40 pm »

beautiful bit there. Quite inspiring really.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 08, 2012, 10:38:00 pm »

Mark my words, I will get those kidneys one way or another. 
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 08, 2012, 10:41:21 pm »

I vote his two closest friends get them as waterskins, so he'll be with them always.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 08, 2012, 10:42:49 pm »

I vote his two closest friends get them as waterskins, so he'll be with them always.

Kidney doesnt make good leather.  The outer tissue is far to soft. you would have better luck tanning cheek skin, or intestine leather, both are far tougher.  You can DIE from bruised kidneys.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 08, 2012, 10:44:32 pm »

Kidney doesnt make good leather.  The outer tissue is far to soft. you would have better luck tanning cheek skin, or intestine leather, both are far tougher.  You can DIE from bruised kidneys.

I don't care, i was just thinking they'd hold water good.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 08, 2012, 10:45:53 pm »

No, that's bladder, or stomach.

Kidneys are for pie.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:48:24 pm by wierd »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 08, 2012, 10:47:46 pm »

Then use'em. UES'EM DAMN IT! IM NOT ABOVE TROPHY TAKING MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Hell every adventurer I've ever played was a skull taker.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 08, 2012, 10:48:00 pm »

You couldn't get the interior structure of the kidneys out to hold the water without tearing the outer tissue. It would be pointless, really.

Also, Good job Talvieno. Good to know we're screwed to the highest degree...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 08, 2012, 10:48:45 pm »

Interesting fact:

Ancient native Greenlanders used to play some sort of ballgames with seal bladders.

edit: At least something similar to a ball game, was not much about kicking them as running around with them..

My knowledge with this is a little rusty.. So don't take my words for it!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:50:58 pm by Ultimuh »

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 08, 2012, 11:20:09 pm »

I will not let this fort die so soon. Neither will I let many more people die, either. Human ingenuity is better than that! Talvieno, I'm dropping my current profession as a siege engineer/philosopher and activate my Universal Mobilization Protocol, code Gorilla, for the fortress.

I'll assign three of the dwarven migrants to make thirty crossbows and all available smithies - to forge thirty stacks of metal bolts; it seems dwarves are born with innate knowledge of how to do everything that dwarves can do, while humans have to stumble blindly through these crafts. My belief is that it's better to let the dwarves do something if you want it done right the first time.

Whoever are our masons, I'll drag two of them out to the dining room and yell at them until they wall in the doors leading to goblins and fortify every corridor with at least one firing position. We'll need everything we can do to slow them down.

Finally, I'll use the ichor-covered trousers - wherever our vermin-hunters got these - and a bucket to strategically place several pools of ichor-stained water near the critical points of the fort's inner doors. A water mixture would penetrate that armor better than just a stain, and I'm pretty sure that ichor's doing something bad when it hits your skin.

The plan of battle for when the siege commences is this: ten volunteers will be manning the fortified positions in the southern corridors and retreating as the greenskin forces advance... retreating into the dining hall, luring the pink-haired bastards into the primary bulk of our trap.
At the dining hall, another twenty volunteers will use upturned tables as fortifications and fill the greenskins with bolts one by one as they enter the room. Eventually, the goblin forces would sound retreat; I strongly believe that it'll be before our crossbowmen run out of bolts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 08, 2012, 11:28:41 pm »

We'll do our duty with a fire in our bellies and prayer to Armok on our lips. And if we do run out of bolts, I'm sure we can give them a through beating with the bows if they don't retreat.

FOR THE TWELFTH BAY!!!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 08, 2012, 11:35:10 pm »

Electricity? You don't need batteries, all we need is magnetite and copper (but silver or gold is better). Just make a spool of copper wire and rotate the magnetite inside it! The motion of a magnetic field near a conductor changes the magnetic flux, thereby creating current. We could even go big and hook up the magnetite to a water wheel!
Thanks for pointing that out - I hadn't thought of it. And congratulations, I think you may wind up being one of Girlinhat's assistants. ;D

Another excellent post, Mister Talvieno. Keep it up.

But so help me Armok if anything I disapprove of happens to KodKod I will find where you live and kill your loved ones.

I fear for my life. Also, thank you. :)

@Splint - thanks, man. :)

Okay, so... Do you want to be a graverobber?

Also, Good job Talvieno. Good to know we're screwed to the highest degree...
Actually, that's the next post. But still, thanks. :)

I will not let this fort die so soon. Neither will I let many more people die, either. Human ingenuity is better than that! Talvieno, I'm dropping my current profession as a siege engineer/philosopher and activate my Universal Mobilization Protocol, code Gorilla, for the fortress.

I'll assign three of the dwarven migrants to make thirty crossbows and all available smithies - to forge thirty stacks of metal bolts; it seems dwarves are born with innate knowledge of how to do everything that dwarves can do, while humans have to stumble blindly through these crafts. My belief is that it's better to let the dwarves do something if you want it done right the first time.

Whoever are our masons, I'll drag two of them out to the dining room and yell at them until they wall in the doors leading to goblins and fortify every corridor with at least one firing position. We'll need everything we can do to slow them down.

Finally, I'll use the ichor-covered trousers - wherever our vermin-hunters got these - and a bucket to strategically place several pools of ichor-stained water near the critical points of the fort's inner doors. A water mixture would penetrate that armor better than just a stain, and I'm pretty sure that ichor's doing something bad when it hits your skin.

The plan of battle for when the siege commences is this: ten volunteers will be manning the fortified positions in the southern corridors and retreating as the greenskin forces advance... retreating into the dining hall, luring the pink-haired bastards into the primary bulk of our trap.
At the dining hall, another twenty volunteers will use upturned tables as fortifications and fill the greenskins with bolts one by one as they enter the room. Eventually, the goblin forces would sound retreat; I strongly believe that it'll be before our crossbowmen run out of bolts.
1. Have no fear, HmH, we're not dead yet. I'm not giving up while we're still alive.
2. One of the rules in this fortress is that aside from new forum players coming in, and the forum players initially, I'm not allowed to change skillsets (unless someone adds something else they can do in RL). I don't know about dwarves, though... it feels like cheating - it'd make everything a lot easier. I would've taken migrants out if I'd thought of it, but it's too late now. Oh, and we don't have any bowyers as it stands. Not one.
3. Sounds like you want an army position. Militia commander sound good to you? Oh, and by the way - this is only half of what I've gotten done. Autumn was incredibly eventful.
4. Do you really want us to breach the cavern for the possible (uncommon) chance that we'll find a forgotten beast with deadly ichor? Remember - no one can die. That's the goal. Nobody dies. Not one. I'm failing so far with four casualties. :P that's pretty good considering we started with almost no food. I was sorely tempted to cheat and mod in NO_EAT and NO_DRINK, but we managed without it... barely.

We'll do our duty with a fire in our bellies and prayer to Armok on our lips. And if we do run out of bolts, I'm sure we can give them a through beating with the bows if they don't retreat.

FOR THE TWELFTH BAY!!!
We're already out of bolts. :P Yes, I did just say that. Our hunters used up all the bolts and I had yet to find iron.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:44:23 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 214