Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 431366 times)

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #705 on: April 09, 2012, 12:37:50 pm »

On the topic of sky whales
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What. Have. You. DONE?

Now capture one, cage it, break its spirit and train it for war. Then have it kill all the clowns.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 09, 2012, 01:02:51 pm »

I understand we're human and all, but come on, we can learn how to do crap! And we have the dwarves, again, who can show us how to do this in a sort-of right way.

We're adaptable, toolmaking, above average sized monkeies goddamnit! You saying the majority of us are incapable of learning anything? besides, who said anything we humies do had to be fancy? Even I could make a chair with enough nails and vaugly shaped pieces of wood; whatever was too long, saw. too short.... nail a smaller bit on the bottom! This is coming from a person with only limited carpentry skills (I used to help my dad with stuff requiring more than 2 hands.)
Wouldn't exactly be comfortable, but it'd be better than standing. And probably look like a bunch of scrap wood bits glued together.... Bet making spikes would be a bitch for us though.

I would imagine anything we did try to do would end badly the first few times though at least. very badly. And result in dwarves laughing at us for our ineptitude with wood and stone. masonry and most forms of metalworking I could totally understand damn near none of us knowing how to do, cause I'm not even sure what all of the tools for those are.

But it still seems like an unecessarily imposed challenge, since we humans are intelligent and quite capable of learning new things sort of quickly. Not like dwarves, but still.
No, think about it. Dwarves can build perfectly functioning cages, doors, stairs, statues - even crossbows and magma pumps - anything the first time through. We can't. We wouldn't have the slightest idea how, for most of it. Unfortunately, Dwarf Fortress can't simulate the learning process. Rather than give everyone jobs they didn't specify, I limited myself to only giving them the jobs they said they'd be capable of. While this keeps anyone from learning anything new, it also keeps people like KodKod from being upset that I gave them cleaning duty, or sent them to work in the mines. It helps preserve the characters that people laid out for themselves in this thread. If it was completely realistic, we'd all learn to do the jobs that needed done. Anyone can chop a tree, right? But who among us do I assign the task?
Stil was a lucky find. He said he'd do anything. lol    Therefore, he was the one to step up to chop down the forest - and he ended up doing a pretty damn good job of it, too. The second time through I was able to add Oliolli to woodcutting duty, and it got done twice as fast.

Plus, if I just gave anyone what jobs I wanted, that would be entirely too easy, and hardly worth a playthrough. :-\ Even with the lack of food.

Epic. This reminds me of the time that I modded dragons so that they could fly, learn and open doors, and then created a civilization for them. Those were the worst sieges I've ever experienced... but they were fun.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:04:39 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 09, 2012, 01:24:33 pm »

If we're allowed to expand our character profiles, I would be willing to add herbalism and farming, since I can at least uproot a plant, transplant it, and thusly grow it as a crop. Actually, I'd like a personal vegetablemushroom garden in my quarters for various crops, on 1x1 plots.

I can also do some ugly, uncomfortable carpentry and basic bow-making. (think a flexible, relatively flaw-free stick with fishing line strung between the ends. I call that a bow. I call strapping that to another stick a crossbow, and another thin stick with a pointy end and a notch a crappy toy arrow. I've done it all before. I can improve... With chert/obsidian points and turkey feather fletchings.)

You set me up with architecture, stonecrafting and masonry, right? I know I have dabbling experience with all three, but more than I have with digging. Maybe mechanics, eventually. I'm terrible with machines...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 09, 2012, 01:27:07 pm »

While this keeps anyone from learning anything new, it also keeps people like KodKod from being upset that I gave them cleaning duty, or sent them to work in the mines.

Whilst we're on the subject, what do I do exactly? The only skills that I have mentioned so far that are DF applicable are my talents of hurting people in a variety of colourful and creative ways. I think I mentioned cooking at one point, but it would be a very silly stupid suicidal idea to put me in charge of the food supply.

I hereby volunteer my not-previously-mentioned organisational skills for use as bookkeeper or manager. That would fit in quite nicely and give me the opportunity to be plotting scheming reclusive in my own room and office, once I get one. You could even lock the door to keep me away from society.

Remember kids, the locks aren't to keep everyone else out, they're to keep me IN.
/人‿‿人\

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 09, 2012, 01:29:22 pm »

Now that i think about it, how the hell do dwarves string crossbows!? I don't think they'd sacrifice any of thier beard hair.... Oh god. Horrible image. Letting it go now.

Remember kids, the locks aren't to keep everyone else out, they're to keep me IN.

Are you a vampire or something that we need to keep locked up?

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 09, 2012, 01:30:36 pm »

Are you a vampire or something that we need to keep locked up?

"Or something".
/人‿‿人\

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #711 on: April 09, 2012, 01:42:46 pm »

Epic. This reminds me of the time that I modded dragons so that they could fly, learn and open doors, and then created a civilization for them. Those were the worst sieges I've ever experienced... but they were fun.

Oh I tried them against multiple dragons, no contest, the poor lizards get pummeled ;(

What. Have. You. DONE?

Now capture one, cage it, break its spirit and train it for war. Then have it kill all the clowns.

A sky whale or an avatar? Both have not yet faced the HFS, though I think it's about time...

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 09, 2012, 01:44:54 pm »

A sky whale or an avatar? Both have not yet faced the HFS, though I think it's about time...

The majestic sky whale, of course, gliding through the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
/人‿‿人\

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 09, 2012, 01:49:52 pm »

The majestic sky whale, of course, gliding through the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.

(...was that a Hitchhiker's Guide -reference? I'm quite certain there's somthing like that in there.)

Look at them, gliding through the air majestically, like an eagle... piloting a blimp.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 09, 2012, 01:54:39 pm »

(...was that a Hitchhiker's Guide -reference? I'm quite certain there's somthing like that in there.)

Natch. I love the Hitchhiker's Guide.

In fact I think you might have been the one who caught the last reference I made to it, too.
/人‿‿人\

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 09, 2012, 06:26:27 pm »

The kittens tell me they don't like this talk of having their bones removed, and that bad things will happen if they hear more of it.

If you want us to tell you specifically what we're capable of, here's my most likely skill set:

At least novice in all crafting (dabbling metalcrafter though), most competent/proficient
Novice bone carver/crafter
Adequate archer
Novice bowman
Competent grower
Competent organizer
Legendary reader

I'm willing to dig, but just make sure all my crafting labors are turned on.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 09, 2012, 08:07:41 pm »

Natch. I love the Hitchhiker's Guide.

In fact I think you might have been the one who caught the last reference I made to it, too.

Schist, I just realized, we'd lose the vast majority of really good books if we went into DF-land. Good thing I have Hitchhiker's and a bunch of Terry Pratchett on my iphone...

The problem being, then, what would I transcribe from the phone? The battery surely wouldn't last long enough to get them all..
This space for rent

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 09, 2012, 08:18:08 pm »

It probably wouldn't last very long at all. You may have to engrave the tales from memory as if they'd been oral legends.

Although, considering the average IQ and academic successes of our community, somebody would probably be able to come up with a charging solution for our devices. We'd just have to hold them extra-tight, as just about everyone would be wanting to get their slimy mitts on our magic boxes!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 09, 2012, 08:20:14 pm »

Schist, I just realized, we'd lose the vast majority of really good books if we went into DF-land. Good thing I have Hitchhiker's and a bunch of Terry Pratchett on my iphone...

The problem being, then, what would I transcribe from the phone? The battery surely wouldn't last long enough to get them all..

I think there's a good chance than the majority of all books would be lost to us.

The solution to this problem is elementary; we simply lock anyone who has previously displayed any talent for writing, such as girlinhat, in a room with a chisel, and deny them food until they have turned the whole area into an original masterpiece of literature.

If not, then I shall go in and give them my own painful brand of motivation in order to ensure that the work is completed.
/人‿‿人\

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 09, 2012, 08:22:27 pm »

Damn, looks like I'm stuck in that room then. Well, I have inclination for writing, don't know about talent. That can only be told after someone else reads it.

Why engrave? Personally, I know how to make graphite pencils. Assuming the site has graphite, anyway. I could settle for charcoal or oak ink.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 214