Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 214

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...  (Read 431340 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall...
« Reply #1365 on: April 16, 2012, 03:49:47 pm »

Man I wish my Dad had all that crap laying around.... The most I get are tales of rather disturbed individuals he served with in veitnam, including a walking black sterotype of sorts: heavy heavy southern accent, dumb as a sack of bricks, and can make his fist meet the back of someone's head. From the front. And a creepy little peurto rican guy who liked stabbing things and was on a type of liquid meth on a fairly regular basis when on missions. Oh and an Inidan (feather, not dot) who liked crossbows.

I know a few things, but the only useful one is using a really good piece of pipe, some gunpowder of sufficent quanity and some shrapnal to make an improvised shotgun/blunderbuss.

I know, bieng a little envious of someone who had a.... Different childhood is screwed up, but it's the kind of information I'd like to know in case I ever needed it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 16, 2012, 04:28:35 pm »

Improvised shotgun is too dangerous. Risk or bore failure and self-inflicted injury is too high, and would only be effective at close quarters.

I really don't want to give a long discussion on guerrilla combat and stealth elimination techniques. People probably worry about me enough already. :)

Google indexes this forum, so I should probaly exercise some discretion. :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1367 on: April 16, 2012, 05:01:39 pm »

Improvised shotgun is too dangerous. Risk or bore failure and self-inflicted injury is too high, and would only be effective at close quarters.

But... It's a shotgun. In a Dwarf Fortress in the twelfth bay. It is quite possibly the best (and worst) place for improvised boom sticks :D

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: April 16, 2012, 05:22:03 pm »

Why risk personal injury of that sort, when you could just ask me, and I could make you some improvised claymore and bouncing betty mines instead? :D

Perhaps some spring loaded constantina wire traps as well... :D

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 16, 2012, 05:35:01 pm »

No, by all means let other people risk their lives with improvised weapons. It saves me some effort down the line.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: April 16, 2012, 05:48:25 pm »

No, by all means let other people risk their lives with improvised weapons. It saves me some effort down the line.

...So not only you want to kill dwarves, you seem to want to kill everyone ?

What's the point ?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: April 16, 2012, 06:07:38 pm »

Hey, it was unintended result of a pipe bomb not going boom properly. Evidently the pipe itself was stronger than the force of the amount of powder used, while the cap that blew off was made from aluminum or something. I'd only try to make one of those if I knew exactly how much powder made it go boom like a shotgun.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: April 16, 2012, 06:14:00 pm »

What's the point ?

I do not necessarily want to kill everyone, you're just assuming that what I said implies that I want to kill everyone.

Instead it would be more correct to say that I do not want to kill anyone, but should any specific person's death become, at any point, a favourable outcome for me it would be easier if they were already dead as opposed to having to organise it at the time.

It's logical.
/人‿‿人\

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: April 16, 2012, 06:14:49 pm »

What's the point ?

I do not necessarily want to kill everyone, you're just assuming that what I said implies that I want to kill everyone.

Instead it would be more correct to say that I do not want to kill anyone, but should any specific person's death become, at any point, a favourable outcome for me it would be easier if they were already dead as opposed to having to organise it at the time.

It's logical.
Chaotic Neutral/Evil

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: April 16, 2012, 06:22:45 pm »

For some, bearing witness to the suffering of others is pleasing in and of itself. Usually, the foolhardy, and those seeking glory/military admiration are the ones who rush out to the battlefield to die gloriously.

The more intelligent stand back and watch.

In the case of the ambitious like ms. Kodkod, this natural pruning simply cuts down on the competition, and leaves more for her.

In my case, not choosing to die for queen and country is merely prudent. "Team" is simply a clever way to spell "meat", afterall.  I prefer to remain in one piece, and kill in secret, from a distance.

As such, should kodkod succeed in her regal ambitions, it would be inevitable that she and I would come into direct opposition eventually.  I prefer complete personal autonomy, and am not vulnerable to sheild beating, saber rattling, nationalist propoganda, and am adept at seeing through plots and plans of schemers.  As such, my unwillingness to submit to her rule as an absolute monarch would create an unsufferable situation, in which she would seek to get me into her scorpion pit, even if it means killing the oddball who makes the delightful skin creams.

Of course, the situation would be different if my gender was different, but being of the bearded menace, my fate would be sealed.  Too strong a personality, with too many skills, and a lack of state dependence (and thus, unneeding of her rule) would write my own death warrant.

That's the way power struggles turn out.

She might be content to imprison me for life, chained to an alchemy aparatus in her own twisted version of the tower of london though. That way she could still get cosmetics and emolients out of me.

Sadly, people like me tend to know how to destroy iron chains, and how to gently demolish walls with controlled explosives. Keeping me in the tower would be a genuine accomplishment.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: April 16, 2012, 06:31:30 pm »

Can they keep you in a tower alone? Doubtful in the extreme. Can you dodge dozens of crossbow volleys? If you like the rest of us... probably not. You'd probably need to be kept under armed watch until old age finally got you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 16, 2012, 06:35:32 pm »

Oh, most deffinately.  However, guards need to sleep. And a prisoner who shows absolutely no signs of defiance or resistantance, promotes comfort, and with comfort, laxity in the perfrmance of their duities.

I am devious in the extreme. I would exploit this.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 16, 2012, 06:35:51 pm »

Sadly, people like me tend to know how to destroy iron chains, and how to gently demolish walls with controlled explosives. Keeping me in the tower would be a genuine accomplishment.

The more prudent question is are you able to destroy iron chains and break out of a tower without any limbs?

In truth in this hypothetical scenario you are describing I doubt that we would come to blows unless you have any particular desire to usurp my throne. Unless I have a specific use for someone then they are going to find themselves largely ignored by me, by all means crawl off into a cave and fend for yourself.

Plus you said "Ms". If you had addressed me as "Miss" I would have slit your throat.
/人‿‿人\

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 16, 2012, 06:41:12 pm »

Then there's the matter of probable execution if they shirk thier duties ever. But I'll admit, it only takes one jackass to not pay attention to ruin everyone's day in a big way.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 16, 2012, 06:49:01 pm »

That was the alternative situation I had envisioned, with a strained but mutual 'respect', as long as boundries and distance were maintained. I hold no ambitions of establishing a rule of my own, and would be perfectly content to have a freehold. As long as the political situation was mutuallu amicable, you would have little to worry about from my end either. I would however, not accept serfdom.

(As for Ms. Mrs. Mme. Et al, "mrs.", and "Mme." Have specific connotations that I doubt you would find favorable. Though I imagine you might giggle (at first) to 'lady' kodkod. Given the lack information, and the informality of "miz", with the above noted, Ms. Seemed the most appropriate, given the current lack of established title. When responding personally, I would probably use Ma'am.)

It was not meant in any disparaging manner, I assure you.

As for escaping the tower without limbs..... likewise, how would I make beauty aides without arms or hands either?  I could see you mutilating my face... perhaps cutting out the tounge, or removing ears or toes.... but I expect you would leave the hands alone.

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 214