Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Lithrushsazir-The fetid bridge (Haunted road+bridge succession game)  (Read 18382 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: Lithrushsazir-The fetid bridge (Haunted road+bridge succession game)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 11:19:09 am »

Downloading the save now.  It'll probably have to wait until tomorrow for me to properly get started, though, since I've been on the computer for much too long already today ;).

I'll also see about getting maps up.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 11:44:39 am »

Could you please let Captain Affy keep his position as the Sherrif (Militia Captain)?

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 04:51:24 pm »

I wonder how I went berserk? I was doing fine when I uploaded the save. Also, if nobody else joins, we could simply repeat this order. I'll grab a new dwarf once it's my turn again.

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 05:01:28 pm »

You where just lying in your bed being fed and given water untill you just snapped.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 05:29:08 pm »

Strange.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 05:20:57 am »

Dwarves sometimes go berserk when they're very unhappy - you must have been miserable from being bedridden for so long.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 06:18:05 am »

Here's the prologue leading up to the beginning of my turn.

Excerpts from the journal of Domas "Keldor" Lolormörul

14th Malachite, 1052:

I have arrived at Lithrushsazir, or "The Fetid Bridge" as it is known in the common tongue.  Surely this place will be better than that salt mine I fled from.  After all, the only wildlife I've seen on my way here were a few deer.  No giant tigers, crocodiles, or, thank Armok, carp.  Now I can practice my fishing in peace, and leave the carving of salt behind for good.

27th Galena, 1052:

I have caught a good many fine turtles for the good of the fortress, and yet sometimes I still dream of carving salt.  Except instead of rock salt, in these dreams I'm carving from fine stone.  I wonder what this means.

8th Limestone, 1052:

The dreams have become unbearable!  I must carve- I've got to- BAUXITE!! - [this entry trails off into an indecipherable scrawl]

13th Limestone, 1052:

I have created Memadlűk!  The name translates into "Reinsight".  I have enclosed a sketch here provided by one of the other dwarves, so that it might provide context to any future dwarves who may read this.

Memadlűk, "Reignsight", a Bauxite idon

This is a Bauxite idol.  All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of Bauxite.

As I write this, I have come to a very important realization.  While my time spent carving salt in that accursed salt mine may have made my eyes sting, and my throat parched, the same is not true of rocks in general.  In fact, I now do believe that stonecrafting is my true calling.  All that time spent fishing now seems meaningless.

From this day forth, I shall carve stone!

23rd Obsidian, 1052:

Today Captain Affy knocked on my door late at night to speak to me.  It seems that he wants me to take over leadership of the fort come the start of the new year.  Me!  A leader!  Imagine that!  Still, I didn't feel that I could answer 'no'. Still, I can't say I'm really looking forward to it.  It seems that there are a lot of ways I could make a mistake, to the detriment of the entire fortress.

[inserted between the pages is a copy of Keldor's personal file]

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 08:06:00 am »

Here's the log for spring.

1st Granite, 1053:

The day I have been dreading has arrived.  I am now leader of Lithrushsazir.  I suppose I had better take stock of the entire fort, so that I can decide how best to proceed.

It appears that there is no Bookkeeper.  Thus our records are a mess - those that still bear any accuracy whatsoever, that is.  I have stepped into the role, since it seems like something which should fall to the leader of a fort.  I shall have to commission myself an office to work in, since I can't very well update our records without a desk to write on!

As a matter of fact, given my husband's, Kib ňnultitthal, broken leg, as well as the limited space in my room, I've ordered a new room as well as an office dug out.  I wouldn't want to strain Kib any worse than he already is.

Talking to Kib has revealed another problem.  Apparently his squad has been on duty continuously since their arrival!  I've ordered the millitary to stand down for now, and will see about arranging some sort of shift schedule in the coming days.

I have designated my new quarters here, with access directly to the crafting zone, so that I may craft stone whenever I have free time.

2nd Granite, 1053:

It has come to my attention that we do not even have any logs, with which to craft another bed for my quarters.  Since I am lothe to remove any of the existing beds from our spare rooms, I have ordered another clump of trees cut down, that we might have some wood.  Besides, I know that we'll need barrels and bins in the future.

4th Granite, 1053:

There is a foul miasma rising from the kitchens.  Apparently no one has the time to come and store our food properly.  I will have to take a talley, and see who can be spared to handle this task.

7th Granite, 1053:

I finally traced our lack of food hauling to its source.  Our food storage area is too small, and there simply isn't enough room to add any more!  I'm enlarging it now.

14th Granite, 1053:

The elves have arrived!  I have sent črith, our broker, out to trade with them, in the vain hope that they may have brought something useful.  Seeing dwarves carrying crafts one at a time to the depot, it is obvious that we need more bins.  In fact, I don't believe we even have any whatsoever.  I hope that my office is finished soon so that I can take a thorough look at our supplies and find out what else we need.

17th Granite, 1053:

Apparently the path to the trade depot goes straight through the middle of our fort.  Upon inspection, the reason for this is the presence of a very large pit blocking access to the depot.  Surely there's some way to extend a bridge over it??

21st Granite, 1053:

črith came across a kobold while she was cutting trees.  She chased it off promptly, waving her axe and screaming something aweful.  One of our miners chased a second kobold off as well.  While this is all very nice, it begs a question.  WHY IS čRITH CUTTING TREES?!  SHE'S SUPPOSED TO BE AT THE DEPOT TRADING!

23rd Granite, 1053:

I told črith that until she finished trading with the elves, she was not to cut another tree.  In response, she dropped her axe, saying, "good.  I was beginning to get thirsty," and proceeded to run off to the cellars for some ale.

24th Granite, 1053:

I caught črith standing around the meeting hall, apparently with nothing to do.  I told her to get up to the depot and trade already, and she told me she was on break, so it would have to wait.  She got back to work pretty quickly when I threatened to call in Captain Affy, though.

27th Granite, 1053:

Those elves are greedy beardless twigs!  Three times, we offered them a fair trade, and three times, they demanded that we give them extra items, each time demanding items worth more than the last!  We've let it slip, this time, but only because of those rumors I've heard about elves bringing tamed giant tigers, which will loyaly protect any fort with the strength of ten dwarves.

6th Slate, 1053:

Although our military is dependant on marksdwarves, it appears that we do not have a single target range!  How can we possibly expect them to become skillful archers if they do not have a place to practice?!  I've ordered the construction of a target range next to the depot.  This way our practicing archers will be in the perfect place to deal with and goblins that try to ambush the merchants.  Moreover, their presence should help prevent merchants from trying to cheat us.

7th Slate, 1053:
Poor Lorbam Olinkod was found dead in the cellars today.  It looks like he hadn't bothered to get himself a drink for days.

Soon after, I recieved word that one of our cheesemaker immigrants has become possesed.  I hope this doesn't lead to another dwarf withering away in the dining room.

9th Slate, 1053:

It appears that there is no tomb available to bury Lorbam.  Since our mason shop is presently occupied by a frothing cheesemaker, I've ordered a second one built.  Besides, in the future the extra shop might help with our furnature production.  As things are right now, it took them an entire month to build two doors a table and a chair for my rooms!

19th Slate, 1053:

It looks like our cheesemaker has found what he needs to build whatever it is he is trying to build.  We did have to rush to cut him some gems, though.  I chose rubies, since they should look very nice with the bauxite he already claimed.

23rd Slate, 1053:

Our cheesemaker has finished his wonderful construction!  It is a... quern?  I suppose our foodstuffs have been rather boring lately.  I'll have to see about getting more diverse farms up.  I did catch one of our miners grumbling about having the same drink far too often.  In any case, I have placed a sketch of the new artifact here.  črith estimates that it's worth 99600☼!  Quite an accomplishment for a random cheesemaker!

6th Felsite, 1053:

Some immigrants have arrived.  How wonderful.

17th Felsite, 1053:

A werewolf was sighted, which proceeded to terrorize some of the peasants.  I dispatched the military, and they made quick work of it.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 11:31:18 am »

i just want to say i really like this story/fortress  ;D keep goin'

*PS* can i join? :P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:37:03 am by Scruga »
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 11:58:16 am »

And here's up until autumn...

2nd Hematite, 1053:

Today we were attacked by harpies.  Vulcar Kuletdakost, our newest marksdwarf, bravely defended the peasentry, killing one, and wounding the second of the vile beasts before literally being ripped to shreads.  The rest of the military arrived with admirable promptness, but by then it was already too late to do anything but avenge Vulcar's death.  He will recieve a hero's burial, since his sacrifice prevented the loss of any further life this day.

20th Hematite, 1053:

The human caravan has arrived, bearing with them large quantities of wood and leather and cloth.  This is good, since all three of those things are in high demand around here.  After only mild coaxing, črith proceeded to the depot to trade.  The humans will be leaving with a nice amount of stone goods, goblin clothing, as well as two pairs of dwarf sized socks that they took great interest in for some reason.

23rd Hematite, 1053:

Ogres have been sighted south of the fortress.  I'm ordering the military to stand atop the wall and rain bolts down on them.

25th Hematite, 1053:

Captain Affy stands atop the wall glowering at the ogres.  The ogres stand at the base glowering back.  Apparently it never occured to our captain to grap a crossbow.  I hope the rest of the military decides to show up some time in the near future.

28th Hematite, 1053:

After I discovered the remainder of our military "guarding" their command officer while he took a drink, I disbanded the squad and sent each dwarf up to his own personal post upon the wall.  This worked nicely, as the ogres are now pincusions.

1st Malachite, 1053:

Today is a wonderful day indeed, for today is the day I have given birth to my beautiful boy, whom I have named Udib Taronrigňth, or Udib Yellscrafted in the common tongue.  I am now a mother!  I hope Kib recovers from his broken leg soon so he can properly share the joy of parenthood with me!

20th Malachite, 1053:

The renovations I ordered on the wall are now complete!  The walltop now has a proper walkway on top, with fortifications to protect our archers.  However, I fear that this will not be enough, given the harpies.  Perhaps I should expand it so that the fortifications are covered, and have direct access to the archery range without ever having to set foot outside?

1st Galena, 1053:

One of our masons abruptly quit working on the new wall reinforcements and ran off frothing to claim a workshop.  I hope this turns out well...

9th Galena, 1053:

The mason has finished her work!  Here's a sketch of the finished artifact.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 03:44:03 pm »

And finally, the last section, as well as a map and the save!

12th Limestone, 1053:

črith got ambushed by a werewolf today.  Although she managed to hold it off with her axe until the archers arrived and turned it into another pincushion, all the while Captain Affy hacking at it with his axe, črith recieved a broken arm, and thus will probably not be able to trade this season.  As such, it now falls to me to find someone else with a head for trading.  Wish me luck with this, for I doubt that it will be easy.

16th Limestone, 1053:

The merchants are here now.  I hope our stand in trader doesn't spoil our trade dealings.

20th Limestone, 1053:

We traded for a lot of nice stuff, but we are now completely out of stone crafts!  I suppose I have been too busy keeping records...

Looking into the records, I have noticed that everything is completely in order.  I suppose it's time for me to return to stone crafting!

14th Sandstone, 1053:

Our mayor has mandated a battle axe constructed, and I have noticed that we do not even have a forge!  I've ordered a new area dug out to address this issue.

19th Sandstone, 1053:

Curses!  The merchants have just left, and only NOW do I find out that we don't even have an anvil!  Why, we've declined to buy no less than THREE different anvils from merchants during my time in office alone!

3rd Timber, 1053:

Harpies!  They've already slain one dwarf who was too stupid to run back in through the gate, even though he was STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO IT!  Instead he opted to run away into the woods.  Idiot.

4th Timber, 1053:

The harpies, after feasting on our poor bonecrafter, made another pass at our fortress.  This time the military was on the wall waiting for them!  We now have some new pincushions.

6th Timber, 1053:

In light of the recent harpy attacks, I have ordered that no fewer than two marksdwarves be patrolling the walltops at all times.  Unfortunantly, when I told them about taking shifts, they simply looked at me with blank expressions.  I suppose I shall have to organize their patrol duties myself.

12th Timber, 1053:

Captain Affy told me about the trash compactor.  I've decided to use it to get rid of broken bolt shafts from our crossbows.

19th Timber, 1053:

A raccoon was found trying to make off with a steel cap!  One of our archers is trying to hunt it down, but the creature is giving a merry chase.  It already has a bolt stuck in one of its legs, but that hasn't stopped it.  I hope they catch it before it escapes!

20th Timber, 1053:

The raccoon escaped, with the cap!  However, the marksdwarves did manage to slay one of its foul kin.  Still, I can't help but wondering what that cap was doing out there in the first place.  Shouldn't it be on one of our marksdwarves' heads?

6th Moonstone, 1053:

Winter has come, and with it werewolves.  One of them chased Ustuth's cat all across the countryside, the cat only escaping by jumping into a dried up pool!  The cat is fine, and I'm comtemplating sending a dwarf out to dig it a way out.  Of course, it might actually be SAFER staying in the pool...

15th Moonstone, 1053:

Our leatherworker has just kicked everyone out of the leather working shop, and is now sketching pictures of square blocks in the dirt.  I've told everyone to keep a safe distance, and had our mason make some stone blocks, just in case.

27th Moonstone, 1053:

Our leatherworker has come out of the shop, carrying the most wonderous buckler!  I have drawn a sketch of it below.

6th Opal, 1053:

Winter is truely here now.  The river has began to freeze, leaving intricate patterns of ice and water.

22nd Opal, 1053:

As fast as the frost came, so too now comes the thaw.  I think that at last, my time to retire draws near.  In fact, I plan to retire on the eve of the new year, which is but a month away.

14th Obsidian, 1053:

The end of the year draws close indeed, but the wall reinforcements are still not quite complete.  I have rounded up every idle dwarf and told them to help out.  As of now, there are as many dwarves working on that wall as there is space for, and yet, it still might not be enough...

18th Obsidian, 1053:

The final stretch of wall work has been designated, and now it is only a matter of time.  I suspect that it will fall to my successor to finish the work, by sealing off the roof entrances so that the wall is truely impervious to flying monstrocities.

1st Granite, 1054:

Alas, but the wall has not quite been finished, and the time of my retirement is here.  Nevertheless, I expect that the wall will be finished within the week (except for final sealing) so long my successor doesn't immediately do something drastic.  I feel that I should pass on some advice for whomever follows my footsteps as our next leader.  First, we are in desperate need of an anvil!  Get one as soon as possible!  Second, keep an eye on the food stockpile.  I suspect that before long it will overflow once again.  Finally, I believe that we are somewhat short on beds, and many of our bedrooms are presently empty.  Oh, and one last thing!  I would recommend that you disallow any masons that are not formally novices or better from using the workshops.  There are a great many would-be masons that helped build the wall, and suddenly think they're as skilled as those who have spent their entire lives working at the profession.

In any case, it is now time for me to return to my stone crafting, and spend some more time with my son.  In addition, my husband's leg doesn't seem to be healing as well as it should, so I should spend some more time with him.

Map: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-3119-lithrushsazir
Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=327

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 05:09:02 pm »

i just want to say i really like this story/fortress  ;D keep goin'

*PS* can i join? :P

Yeah, download the latest map and start playing!

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 01:48:25 am »

i just downloaded it :D

*edit* my name is wrong on the first post XD
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 01:56:21 am »

i'm sorry guys :( it's a little overwhelming for me. such a beautiful big castle
i don't think i can lead this place
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12