Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 445844 times)

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1995 on: June 13, 2021, 07:28:48 am »

In real life bucklers are basically small shields, that allow for higher mobility, in real life they would be terrible against arrows and such, but very good to defend yourself against a sword attack or something like that, basically better in one-on-one combat. (I don't know much about this, somebody else who understands more about medieval weaponry can probably explain their purpose better).

One on one combat with bucklers reminds me of that scene in the 13th warrior where he's fighting a very large, borderline giant guy - and he's definitely very mobile jumping and dodging a lot, and when he did use the buckler (small round wooden shield), it was more of a striking block than the more stationary style of blocking I imagine when I think of someone holding a kite shield or something like that.  I've always just made shields because shield sounds cooler to me than buckler, and to hell with the weight of metal ones, it'll make the dwarves stronger.  But more seriously, shield bashing seems very common in DF combat, so if you're lucky enough to get a platinum shield and a dwarf beastly enough to wield it, you're in for a treat.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: June 23, 2021, 09:33:55 am »

Here's an explaination on bucklers

https://youtu.be/WGbrNpuxHL0

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: June 25, 2021, 12:11:25 am »

If a dwarf is not caught in a cave-in but is nearby, they can get caught in the dust explosion and knocked unconscious, into walls, and off heights.  However, they can also fall downstairs and when they do, especially if enclosed, they can continue to fall to the bottom.  I had a central staircase down all the way to the semi-molten rock at the bottom and he fell down the entire way, about 100 z-layers, leaving a trail of blood all the way from the top to the bottom.  I never found an actual body, but there were scattered bits and pieces of him every few layers.

Anyway it would make a pretty spectacular execution method.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: June 25, 2021, 05:06:05 pm »

Not so much a finding. But I have been out of the loop for a few years. I made a world and saw two necro towers going white, which means they were conquered and the necromancers possibly killed.
So I opened legends and found one of the necromancers was drowned by a dwarf. She was quite a badass, drowning multiple people. But how do you even drown people? Did she toss them into a river?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #1999 on: June 26, 2021, 01:28:50 am »

But how do you even drown people? Did she toss them into a river?

I've never seen this. Maybe there's a river or coast at the site?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: June 26, 2021, 09:14:42 am »

But how do you even drown people? Did she toss them into a river?

Looks like they were executed by drowning after the conquering. I guess it's up to the player to interpret how they were drowned?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: June 26, 2021, 09:30:36 am »

Not so much a finding. But I have been out of the loop for a few years. I made a world and saw two necro towers going white, which means they were conquered and the necromancers possibly killed.
So I opened legends and found one of the necromancers was drowned by a dwarf. She was quite a badass, drowning multiple people. But how do you even drown people? Did she toss them into a river?

When a site is conquered, all necromancers must be regarded as leaders so they deal with them in kind just as they'd execute clowns/goblin-master when a dark fortress falls or a more mundane leader who happens to remain on site when it is conquered, or maybe this is just a necromancer night-creature specific thing. I honestly had a elven warrior decapitate a clown in worldgen logs after the fact with a apple wood axe.

On the other foot Necromancers don't leave survivors to upkeep their zombie populations at that site, its more a systematic execution than anything so leaning in on the "necromancers are hated, any ones you find that arent imprisoned or hiding must be killed" is plausible. We can only hope that Toady in the future might give us a ETHICS type response to necromantic magic to determine how Civs respond and deal with it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: July 13, 2021, 05:46:59 pm »

Broker will cancer "Trade at Depot" to diagnose patients.

A dwarf will dehydrate when the creature they're trying to pasture is in impassable tile of workshop.

And...

While it seems ice cast and regular constructions accept a fountain of blood just fine....

||

...It seems like ice boulder constructions wont stick blood to it?

||

..Or no. Some of those are dug, not constructed ice stairs. Same biome too. Not sure what to make of this, but seems like there ought to be a way to build hemophobic fortressi.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: July 13, 2021, 05:58:00 pm »

Certain intelligent undead are naturally set as "Opposed to all life" when visiting forts

unlike other intelligent undead they're immediately perceived as hostile by your fort

I had two come to visit my tavern and run in fear, and soon die, as they ran from my dwarves

Other types of intelligent undead have had no issues

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: July 14, 2021, 12:29:19 am »

I recently learned that even retracted bridges get deconstructed when hit by a cave-in.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: July 14, 2021, 01:09:07 pm »

Children like to play in their parents' bedroom.  I found this out in a fort where I lock my married couples in a bedroom together for a couple weeks every year to make sure I can grow my population.  Although adults never get involved, I find that children frequently end up idling in the room with their parents.  And it is always an older child of that specific couple.  I don't know if this is because the child spent time in this room as a baby when his mother was sleeping or from some other mechanic.
The children in my fortress make a point of playing in places where a battle has taken place or in the caves, their sense of self preservation is amazing, despite this none of them have died.
I'm not convinced its always their parents bedrooms, but any unoccupied space with a few beds and a chest tends to get overrun by my forts kids. I tend to make a nice wellroom away from danger with its own beds and chests and the kids just gravitate towards it. I've also repeatedly seen kids in bedrooms that do not belong to a member of their family, so perhaps your forts children are more obedient than mine.

I know I'm a few months late on this, but I think I understand why this happens! Children do not have jobs to pull them around the fortress - the few that do have a specific location are socializing/performing in a meeting hall, praying, and claiming clothing or food. Once they finish those designated tasks, they generally end up "playing", whether that's with a toy in their inventory or make-believe.

Children in bedrooms that do not belong to their family were probably picking up an item of clothing that is no longer claimed. Children in meeting halls/dining rooms/taverns were drawn in by the socialize/perform needs or food needs. Ones in the stockpiles or out in the middle of a battlefield were drawn by clothing. The ones in their own/their parents' rooms and honeymoon suites can be drawn in by any of the above, in addition to the coding where dwarves may choose their room as a place to hang out when idle.

I have noticed them returning to some of the same locations later, having taken a break to go eat, and I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps their playing is considered a suspended task that they resume at the location?

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: July 14, 2021, 11:41:14 pm »

Has anyone else noticed dragons reproduce during world gen?

I thought it was pretty neat.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: July 15, 2021, 03:09:50 am »

Has anyone else noticed dragons reproduce during world gen?

I thought it was pretty neat.

There's a cap, so you need to be thorough about slaying aboveground megabeasts in order to make room for them to reproduce if you had any designs on breeding two captive dragons or any other kind of megabeast (rocs, captured giants on chains etc.)

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: July 15, 2021, 05:19:07 am »

and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: July 17, 2021, 10:49:31 am »

I just learned the melted cheese is still viable for cooking.

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 148