Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 393

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2951983 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5520 on: July 16, 2023, 02:00:22 am »

Hello. I am a novice and I have a problem that has been bothering me. How do dwarves write without pen and ink? I see dwarves writing in the library without the need for pen and ink. Will pens and ink be added in the future?
A lot of things are abstracted away in DF, and in the case of writing the production of the material written on can be considered a stand in for the complete set of things actually needed. It's somewhat similar to how workshops can produce things without explicit tools (or even materials for the construction of tools). Some aspects of the simulation may be expanded on in the future (I believe workshops will be overhauled at some unplanned point in the future). My guess is that the answer to the question would be that it's not impossible, but we'll see what happens.

hitorigochi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: July 16, 2023, 03:50:02 am »

Hello. I am a novice and I have a problem that has been bothering me. How do dwarves write without pen and ink? I see dwarves writing in the library without the need for pen and ink. Will pens and ink be added in the future?

Hello, hitorigochi!  Welcome to the Bay12 Forums!  Please remember to make your questions lime green so that Toady One can see and remember to answer them!

Thank you!

hitorigochi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: July 16, 2023, 04:00:37 am »

A lot of things are abstracted away in DF, and in the case of writing the production of the material written on can be considered a stand in for the complete set of things actually needed. It's somewhat similar to how workshops can produce things without explicit tools (or even materials for the construction of tools). Some aspects of the simulation may be expanded on in the future (I believe workshops will be overhauled at some unplanned point in the future). My guess is that the answer to the question would be that it's not impossible, but we'll see what happens.

I really hope to add a pen and ink. Because writing in the library doesn't require pen and ink, it feels like the words written on paper are out of thin air. It feels strange.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: July 16, 2023, 12:00:02 pm »

When will the merch be available in Europe?
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

SeeSchloss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: July 17, 2023, 02:54:31 am »

Hello. I am a novice and I have a problem that has been bothering me. How do dwarves write without pen and ink? I see dwarves writing in the library without the need for pen and ink. Will pens and ink be added in the future? Because writing in the library doesn't require pen and ink, it feels like the words written on paper are out of thin air. It feels strange.

That's an interesting point, and it wouldn't add too much complexity either. Ink could be made from some leaves or fruit I guess (like real ink can be made from acorns or walnut flesh, or various leaves).

I'm not sure pens really need to be explicitly mentioned as they were mostly disposable things that could easily be made from many kinds of feathers or reeds.

hitorigochi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: July 17, 2023, 05:25:55 am »

Hello. I am a novice and I have a problem that has been bothering me. How do dwarves write without pen and ink? I see dwarves writing in the library without the need for pen and ink. Will pens and ink be added in the future? Because writing in the library doesn't require pen and ink, it feels like the words written on paper are out of thin air. It feels strange.

That's an interesting point, and it wouldn't add too much complexity either. Ink could be made from some leaves or fruit I guess (like real ink can be made from acorns or walnut flesh, or various leaves).

I'm not sure pens really need to be explicitly mentioned as they were mostly disposable things that could easily be made from many kinds of feathers or reeds.

I think pens can have a "durability" level like soap.

Dwarf Fortress Wiki:Unlike most other items, bars of soap have a "durability" level which allows jobs to partially consume them – each bar starts with 150 units, and cleaning jobs consume varying quantities of soap before ultimately using it up.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 05:28:53 am by hitorigochi »

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: July 18, 2023, 04:44:25 pm »

Another question, do dwarves not use any tools when fishing? Will fishing rods be added in the future?

our best scientists put their heads together and determined that they use their stiff beards to push bits of plump helmet mince roast into the soft, spongey tissue of the papyrus fabric.

it's probably for the best that it's not in the game as dwarves may simply have spent all their time running around collecting pens and inkwells, much like the coin hoarding problems that disabled the economy in earlier versions.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 04:46:55 pm by Nihilich »

hitorigochi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: July 18, 2023, 10:19:40 pm »

Another question, do dwarves not use any tools when fishing? Will fishing rods be added in the future?

our best scientists put their heads together and determined that they use their stiff beards to push bits of plump helmet mince roast into the soft, spongey tissue of the papyrus fabric.

it's probably for the best that it's not in the game as dwarves may simply have spent all their time running around collecting pens and inkwells, much like the coin hoarding problems that disabled the economy in earlier versions.

I don't think so, because pen and ink are not as versatile and important as coins, they are only used as tools for writing. It's different from a coin.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: July 18, 2023, 10:33:46 pm »

how do you know dwarves need pen and ink to write

hitorigochi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: July 18, 2023, 11:22:18 pm »

In fact, dwarves write with beards and food scraps.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: July 18, 2023, 11:45:01 pm »

Why aren't you taking this to DF Suggestions where it belongs?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

ShiraKage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: July 19, 2023, 07:08:29 am »

1a- About future law arc, will we have a bounty system? It would be good if the only way to learn someone's bounty is looking at boards in the towns or with rumors (rumors can be wrong but you will never know until you find the truth). Also bounties can change depending on person's crimes. Also I would love playing as a bounty hunter and compete with other bounty hunters in the world. If you become more and more popular, towns could also ask for help (both for our player and other characters)

1b- If they catch us and put in a prison, will we actually live in a prison life? Like maybe every prison has its own rules, difficulty (easy to escape or more developed and hard to escape), different guardians (some guardians are more friendly, some are more strict) more interactions with people in prison, trade with them etc.

2- About myth and magic arc, will we see different kinds of magical systems like maybe a world which only way to cast a magic spell is upgrade items and weapons with runes or other materials?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 05:48:44 am by ShiraKage »

hitorigochi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: July 20, 2023, 12:23:04 am »

Why aren't you taking this to DF Suggestions where it belongs?

Is it about writing and fishing? I'm not very sure where to put it, so I just decided to put it here. I am not very familiar with this forum.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5533 on: July 20, 2023, 01:51:09 am »

2- About myth and magic arc, will we see different kinds of magical systems like maybe a world which only way to cast a magic spell is upgrade items and weapons with runes or other materials?

Yup, proceedural magic systems of different kinds is one of the goals of the Myth&Magic arc. The development page should have the outline of planned features, but I also recommend checking out the DF Talks, and previous FotF answers.
The game currently has magic to upgrade weapons, and runes have been mentioned many times for being a type of magic often associated with dwarves. That doesn't mean dwarves will always get rune magic, that will depend on the world generation, but rather that rune magic is likely to make it in the first pass. Since there are lots and lots of imaginable magic systems, effects of magic, etc., not all of it can be added at once.

hitorigochi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: July 20, 2023, 09:03:16 pm »

Will anti piracy features be added in the future? I found that the game can be opened without starting Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 393