Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 393

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2951973 times)

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5640 on: October 03, 2023, 05:01:03 pm »

To be honest a truly infinite world with infinite numbers of relevant entities with elaborate, comingling histories would probably not be that fun to actually interact with. Too many things to keep up with; at one point you'd just end up overwhelmed.

BlackAion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: October 03, 2023, 05:33:27 pm »

To be honest a truly infinite world with infinite numbers of relevant entities with elaborate, comingling histories would probably not be that fun to actually interact with. Too many things to keep up with; at one point you'd just end up overwhelmed.

I dont see it that way. Larger worlds also means more adventures, always new sights on the horizon, and new and incredibly diverse species of all sizes. In an infinite world it is entirely plausible to have a giant world tree and a skyworld all in one game. It would probably be hell to actually build a dwarf fortress in but isnt this game all about having "fun" anyway?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: October 03, 2023, 05:49:38 pm »

To the extent there are 'planes' as in 'planar realms' on the roadmap, I think there's plenty of opportunity to reach outside the world zone or create lasting impacts like you can do by whittling monsters down until you reach mundanity, or on the more extreme magical/antimagical side of things either release or entrap and banish magic from the world in a lasting impact for future forts, but its probably going to be a finite thing for a long while.

BlackAion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: October 04, 2023, 01:02:36 pm »

To the extent there are 'planes' as in 'planar realms' on the roadmap, I think there's plenty of opportunity to reach outside the world zone or create lasting impacts like you can do by whittling monsters down until you reach mundanity, or on the more extreme magical/antimagical side of things either release or entrap and banish magic from the world in a lasting impact for future forts, but its probably going to be a finite thing for a long while.

And thats fine honestly. I would be satisfied with simply worlds that are finite but still bigger than Earth in some way. HunterXHunter and Toriko has convinced me that that larger worlds are far more interesting than smaller ones, if only because the life forms therein are interesting. And thats not even getting into the magical side of things. It would be far more likely for such worlds to maintain or even regress back to an Age of Myths. Especially whenever the Magic Update finally gets started.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: October 04, 2023, 06:53:05 pm »

Thanks for the answers as always Toady. And thanks for the update. Those faces look incredible, even if they're still just prototypes. I also love the icon that is the singing turtle person. Hopefully that makes it to release.

1) Since getting a look at someone based on their clothing and description is coming up before the villains release, is there any chance of wanted posters with the last known description of famous villains rendered on them in a similar style?

2) Will someone with face obscuring garb still have their eyes/nose/scars/blue skin/full suite of intellectual values/etc visible at a glance in their description in adventure mode once villains are finished? Or fort mode for that matter?

3) Have you ever played Shadows of Doubt, the proc gen detective game?

Turbans and different kinds of head clothes are some of the clothing I'm most excited to see rendered in DF. Dwarves also seem to love wearing them, nearly as much as underwear.

4) Will dwarven civilizations ever have a chance to be generated with different styles of clothes like human cultures are?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: October 04, 2023, 10:13:01 pm »

One of the famous DF stories on this site is Cog the Blind Drunk.  He manages to ascertain that the elves he is talking to are wearing loin cloths... despite being blind.  Watch where you are putting those hands there, Cog!  So I'm pretty sure the descriptions will give full details even when some things would logically be obscured by clothing.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5646 on: October 07, 2023, 04:53:52 am »

Does the latest devlog mean we're getting palettized forgotten beasts, and other procgen creatures, next update?

Koteevich

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: October 08, 2023, 05:55:12 am »

Toady One: "Same goes for translation/localization if we can ever figure that out."

Why don't you make a toolkit for translators? By the way, translations for the game already exist, for example, into Russian (DFRus community). But the translation is just terrible, huge chunks of the game have not been translated, or translated poorly. Also exists problem with game`s code. At the same time, one of the obvious problems is that when a new version of the game is released, for example, 50.11 translation for the previous version does not work. It needs to be additionally adapted a little for new versions. Yes, it's fast, but it's inconvenient to bother with it every time.

also understand that even translating into 6-7 languages will take both a lot of money and a lot of time, besides, Adventure Mode and Steam achievements are now your priority. In general, if there were normal tools, the translations would be done by fans. From a practical point of view, it is also convenient that later this translation could be officially implemented into the game (and why not?). It seems to do so, for example, with Cataclysm: DDA. Of course, the games are different in terms of text volume, but that game, it seems to me, despite the fact that it is less popular in general, has a translation into 17 languages! https://docs.cataclysmdda.org/TRANSLATING.html

I think, with a convenient toolkit, I would do the translation myself

I would really like to know how difficult it is to bring this to life. Thanks!

MalroktheIII

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: October 08, 2023, 04:45:39 pm »

I've asked other questions about how you plan to rework worldgen in the future, but I'm going to go again with that. Sorry if someone else asked any of these before.

So, we know that spheres will influence world gen significantly more by that point, but how will spheres like 'Revenge' or 'Rumors' or 'Lust' or 'Fame' work in that regard? They don't seem all that geography-y to me, at least without another sphere to ground it.

and, for that matter -

What of the combinations? Let us say I have a God of Fame, Rumors, Trees, and The Rain. Two of these (trees and the rain) seem to be the core of our theoretical godly biome, but how would the others effect it?

Similarly, currently, we get things like necromancers and demons corrupting the land using their spheres as the baseline, and I understand that with future worldgen (and magic), we will likely have various wizards and gods being able to do that with any sphere, but -

What if we had a area that was already tainted or blessed by someone else? How would a blessing and a curse placed upon a land interact? (or two blessings... or two curses?)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: October 09, 2023, 02:16:30 am »

@MalroktheIII:
I'm guessing, of course, but:
- Some spheres probably won't have any terrain effects as such. Instead, things like Revenge would firstly manifest through worshiper doctrine, and possibly secondly as a skew in the propensity for creatures within the sphere's influence to select that course of action, although that could be tricky to implement.
- In the combination case, the above could apply, i.e. worshipers in particular would seek fame in its many forms and engage in rumor mongering (which might assist in the fame creation process in this particular combination). Non worshipers within the influence ought to be skewed towards fame seeking and might have a higher probability of sharing rumors (or a lower trust threshold for it).
- Intersecting spheres would probably overlap as the default, and clash when conflicting. Thus, you might be blessed with luck while cursed with a shortened life span, or many crops might die due to a blight, but the ones that don't might be bountiful due to a blessing of bounty. When spheres clash the end result would likely be an average of their respective power in the area, possibly with a random factor. Obviously, implementing all variants (or, rather, a system that generates effect combinations) will probably be tricky, not fully thought out yet, and probably run into snags that will force things to change.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: October 09, 2023, 07:30:18 am »

Toady One: "Same goes for translation/localization if we can ever figure that out."

Why don't you make a toolkit for translators? By the way, translations for the game already exist, for example, into Russian (DFRus community). But the translation is just terrible, huge chunks of the game have not been translated, or translated poorly. Also exists problem with game`s code. At the same time, one of the obvious problems is that when a new version of the game is released, for example, 50.11 translation for the previous version does not work. It needs to be additionally adapted a little for new versions. Yes, it's fast, but it's inconvenient to bother with it every time.

also understand that even translating into 6-7 languages will take both a lot of money and a lot of time, besides, Adventure Mode and Steam achievements are now your priority. In general, if there were normal tools, the translations would be done by fans. From a practical point of view, it is also convenient that later this translation could be officially implemented into the game (and why not?). It seems to do so, for example, with Cataclysm: DDA. Of course, the games are different in terms of text volume, but that game, it seems to me, despite the fact that it is less popular in general, has a translation into 17 languages! https://docs.cataclysmdda.org/TRANSLATING.html

I think, with a convenient toolkit, I would do the translation myself

I would really like to know how difficult it is to bring this to life. Thanks!

Not sure what part of that is meant to be directed at Toady, but around here, we change the colours of whatever sentence or paragraph, using the dropdown list if we have to, to lime green to facilitate it, thanks very much. 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: October 09, 2023, 05:40:38 pm »

How much procedural construction of paragraphs does Cataclysm DDA actually do? Is there anything akin to the musical form constructions? Or even the artifacts? Let alone Mythgen...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: October 09, 2023, 06:31:51 pm »

Within the overhaul of the Adventurer character creator, will we be seeing embark profiles like in fortress mode?

Likewise, would it be possible to make custom labor details something similar that could be moved between forts/worlds/installs, etc?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: October 10, 2023, 03:03:37 am »

How much procedural construction of paragraphs does Cataclysm DDA actually do? Is there anything akin to the musical form constructions? Or even the artifacts? Let alone Mythgen...

Cataclysm DDA doesn't do any procedural text generation beyond parameter insertion. There's probably support for massaging the translated text to transform things properly, but that's a concern for translators only, not coders, which is a sensible division of labor, although there are sometimes (rather sensible) requests from translators to modify things a little to allow texts to be translated properly.

Code wise you enclose all (non debug) text in a special wrapper that then (I believe) results in the generation of files with text snippets to translate and some comparison then filters out the ones that are new/changed for translators to chew on. Thus, it's easy for coders to add text: follow the established rules and translators will have to process the results (and draconic automated code checking will reject your code if you don't follow each and every rules precisely to the character, including formatting).
For JSON data (very roughly corresponding to RAWs) you just use English text, and I assume that then gets handed to translators in a manner similar to how text in the code is provided based on data tag parsing that known whether a string is a UI string or an identifier.

Can it be done for DF? Probably. Would it be easy? Probably not. At best it would be a huge amount of sheer work, and at worse (but probably not worst) it would require a restructuring of everything text related to export the information in a format that provides enough context to be worked with (does the single word "die" from a list of words refer to the things you roll or the end of existence, for instance).

Koteevich

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: October 10, 2023, 04:38:39 pm »

Not sure what part of that is meant to be directed at Toady, but around here, we change the colours of whatever sentence or paragraph, using the dropdown list if we have to, to lime green to facilitate it, thanks very much.

Did I understand correctly that if I want to address something directly to ToadyOne, then I should highlight my text in lime green? It's just that I'm new to the forum and haven't really sat on it before, I'll be glad of any such information. Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 393