Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 129620 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #660 on: July 01, 2016, 11:27:45 pm »

Star Trek ships barely have any velocity at all.  The warp drive works by distorting space, not adding kinetic velocity.

Star Wars?  I dunno.  Looks like some sort of wormhole thingie.

I'm acting under the assumption both sides have engines that allow them to change their realspace velocity without firing up big scary warp drives. Star Wars ships definitely have non-hyperspace engines. These engines seem to have pretty good acceleration, and don't seem to need much fuel. That gives you a planet killer, at least if you give it a while to speed up first. You don't need to be moving at warp speed to blow up a planet, just a little bit below the speed of light, since relativistic effects become exponentially stronger the closer you get to c.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 01, 2016, 11:42:07 pm »

The sublight maneuvers in both lores are distinctly non Newtonian.  You are talking about them like they are rockets capable of indefinite acceleration.  They aren't.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 01, 2016, 11:45:35 pm »

The sublight maneuvers in both lores are distinctly non Newtonian.  You are talking about them like they are rockets capable of indefinite acceleration.  They aren't.

If anything, the fact that near c kinetic kill vehicles to planets isn't the preeminent form of warfare in either universe says that it's either taboo or not effective.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 01, 2016, 11:53:46 pm »

Inertialess drives/non-newtonian accelerators/whatever the heck are even more terrifying, unless given arbitrary limitations by the author specifically to avoid their use as weapons.

If anything, the fact that near c kinetic kill vehicles to planets isn't the preeminent form of warfare in either universe says that it's either taboo or not effective.

My default assumption is that it's taboo, a taboo that will be broken in sufficient emergency, like nukes in our world.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 01, 2016, 11:58:36 pm »

Inertialess drives/non-newtonian accelerators/whatever the heck are even more terrifying, unless given arbitrary limitations by the author specifically to avoid their use as weapons.

My default assumption is that it's taboo, a taboo that will be broken in sufficient emergency, like nukes in our world.

We see an awful lot of desperate straights in both universes, though. Why build a death star if you can get a beater starship to do it?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 02, 2016, 12:00:15 am »

When the engine fails the ship doesn't hurtle forward, it just stops.  It doesn't have any energy.  If you want to give a mass kinetic energy you are going to need to supply that with energy from your anti matter core.  You are stuck back in the realm of Newtonian physics.  And if you are doing that, why not just send down an antimatter torpedo?  A kinetic killer might always just harmlessly pass through the planet because some clever captain got the idea of putting it into a warp bubble for a few seconds.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 02, 2016, 12:19:58 am »

@maniniac: In fairness, above .84c you get more energy per impactor mass than antimatter, but I see your point.

We see an awful lot of desperate straights in both universes, though. Why build a death star if you can get a beater starship to do it?

Why spend billions bombarding enemy positions with fighter-bombers and tomahawk missiles of only uncertain effectiveness when you could drop a nuke and end it?
Muh FG--OOC Thread

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 02, 2016, 12:23:09 am »

@maniniac: In fairness, above .84c you get more energy per impactor mass than antimatter, but I see your point.

I guess they should ditch those antimatter warp cores and install flywheels.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 02, 2016, 12:26:33 am »

I would guess that flywheels don't like holding together under the centripetal/centrifugal force of rotational velocities near c, whereas a straight velocity doesn't inherently try to tear you apart.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 02, 2016, 01:20:39 am »

Why spend billions bombarding enemy positions with fighter-bombers and tomahawk missiles of only uncertain effectiveness when you could drop a nuke and end it?

Because it's not important enough to pay the political cost of a nuke. An all out war implies that it is worth that cost.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 02, 2016, 01:37:03 am »

Not necessarily.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 02, 2016, 03:57:59 am »

Not necessarily.
mini-rant: Depends on how all-out. Hermann Kahn, the Cold-War Theorist who was one of three inspirations for the character of Dr. Strangelove, with such lovely book titles as On Thermonuclear War, Thinking about the Unthinkable, and On Escalation, was a staple of my tween years. He theorized the existence of a "Escalation ladder". Whereas most thinking about Nuclear Weapons traditionally imagines that Nuclear weapons are a very simple "Yes/No" value, he argued that Nuclear Weapons had their place on the "ladder" of confrontation, where the bottom  rung is "Ostensible Crisis" and the Top rung is "Spasm or Insensate Nuclear Warfare", and everything else inbetween covers everything else, from shows of force to legal and diplomatic sanctions, from limited conventional warfare, to Nuclear Ultimatums, and from Local "Exemplary" use of nuclear weapons to limited military usage, all the way up to targeting of civilians to various extents. No such crisis needed to go through every single step on the ladder, he thought, so a situation COULD just develop straight to "general nuking of everything", but it need not. There are stages between using war and nuclear war, and there are stages between local nuclear war or military nuclear war and the popular image of sending 50-megaton bombs to all the major cities. I'd say that this ladder would only become more diverse and complicated when different types of WMDs are used with wildly different capabilities, so the space version of the Escalation ladder must be pretty complex.
Spoiler: The Ladder (click to show/hide)
Arguably, that ladder is also one of the biggest issues with hypothetical wars in general. With a hypothetical war you have to "assume" that one stage or another is being used, when reality might be different. The Federation here might be superior in one localized, "conventional" space conflict limited to one solar system, while the Empire might clearly win out in any sort of multi-system war, while perhaps the Federation has a significant when it comes to a localized military-targeted WMD-using conflict, while perhaps the Empire has a slight advantage when it comes to "blindly flinging the strongest bombs we have at any target that presents itself." We might end by saying that the one who is best at the last stage wins, but the issue is that the results of a real war will depend on what stage is actually used, and when, whether, and how much the rung of escalation changes (can't nuke anyone if you lose your entire fleet in conventional warfare, for example). Do the Federation and the Empire start off by flinging both the regular and jury-rigged WMDs at major population centers? Most wars don't start that way. In fact, no war has ever started that way. And if they don't start that way, when do they get there? These are questions the Armchair general must answer.

TL;DR In short, I'd say it's impossible to analyze how a "real" war would go between the two, while it might be worthwhile to figure out who has the advantage in a variety of different scenarios, and then guess from there what that means.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 02, 2016, 04:59:43 am »

Because you get a level of control with fighter bomber you don't get with nukes. The Death Star sole purpose is to blow up planets. If a KKV could do it at a fraction of the cost they'd use that. In a world with KKV, the Death Star would be the equivalent of designing an gigantic airship that can litterally drop a million tons of TNT on your target so you get the effect of a nuke without a nuke.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 02, 2016, 07:17:17 am »

I'm pretty sure the Empire would win simply by the fact the Star Wars Universe has had mass organized space warfare over the scale of a galaxy for what? several thousand years at least? and Star Trek has had it for a couple centuries on the scale of singular battles? I think the Federation might be a little screwed.
The Star Wars Universe has had ONE mass organized space war. The same one over and over. Jedi vs. Sith. Jedi vs. Sith. Rinse, repeat.
The entire galaxy has experience fighting ONE enemy, whereas in Star Trek the Federation has fought Klingons, Romulans, Borg, Dominion, Cardassians, Breen, NUMEROUS PHYSICAL GODS, etc. All of which fight in entirely different ways from each other.

Even if the Empire has fought for longer, it doesn't have anything close to the experience the Federation has, because its only had one experience, over and over.
Its like how the Aztecs only ever fought other light infantry units while Europe had cavalry, heavy armor, gunpowder, pike formations, etc. to deal with.
And we all know who won that fight.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:19:21 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 02, 2016, 08:51:56 am »

I would guess that flywheels don't like holding together under the centripetal/centrifugal force of rotational velocities near c, whereas a straight velocity doesn't inherently try to tear you apart.

They could make a "flywheel" that has a linear velocity and then trap it in a warp bubble to keep it in the ship.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 82