Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 129616 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #780 on: July 05, 2016, 07:06:17 am »

Ok well yeah that's density. Its easier to fit a handful of lead into a replicator then to compress a whole roomful of oxygen into it :P

As for why no neutrons because they have little to do with the actual element, and more to do with isotopes. They're kinda secondary to Protons in this context.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 05, 2016, 07:17:29 am »

Is atomic mass really all there is to energy? I thought there was more.

Also the recycling might not be atomic at all. We don't necessarily know.

think it's something in the way your posts are written, and something I've observed across a bunch of topics.

Okay but where is this concern for other people. Tack was complaining about me telling them how they felt but said nothing when they continued to do so even after his white knight referee move.

I would be a lot more sympathetic to these complaints if I had ever once seen them applied to anyone else.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 05, 2016, 07:24:16 am »

Again, I don't know, but most of the time their post don't feel as aggressive as yours.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 05, 2016, 08:04:47 am »

'The Referee' and 'The White Knight' are two different forum personalities. Please don't apply both to me. I am gallant for no man, I just dislike when the discussion is sidetracked by you being shit.
BFEL may have been getting passionate, but at least he was on topic about it.
If anyone here is jealous, it's you, because you're not Polish thus you can't have Winged Hussars. :*
That was funny.
God dude. CHILL OUT.  It's just a conversation.  Stop acting so angry.
That was where you came against poe's law. Kot, I knew was shitposting. I've given him crap about it in other threads. No, I'm not going to link them to soothe your battered ego.

Ever heard the saying something like "If someone has a problem with you, it's them; if many people have a problem with you, it's you"?
As has been said by two others, something about the way you've been posting makes you seem either really worked up, or rather bad at conveying humour through text.
Believe me when I say I'm trying to be helpful, so I'd really prefer we get the thread back on the rails, like I was trying to achieve with my first post before I ended up just being pulled into this mess.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 05, 2016, 08:26:40 am »

No, I'm not going to link them to soothe your battered ego.
This kinda thing is probably why he was getting so salty Tack. There's some definite back and forth going on here. Just pointing this out so mainiac doesn't have to later.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 05, 2016, 08:28:31 am »

That is literally the exact double standard I was talking about.

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 05, 2016, 08:57:03 am »

True, it didn't need saying. My apologies. I tend to get dickish when I'm trying to give advice- offsets my fear of being helpful.
Whether or not the pertinent, non-dickish part of that advice will be taken heed of, I hope to find out.

As for double standard- it's possible, although certainly unconsciously happening. But it's less likely that I, RPGeek and Sheb all have a hidden bias towards all of the people you were arguing with.
It's more likely that you've taken it too far.

On the note of 'taken it too far', can we move this to PM's or something?
Because an awesome discussion is happening and I want to follow it and also probably necro the one about the pikes and the crossbows.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 05, 2016, 09:58:25 am »

Regarding C) The Tau are Xeno, and thousands of years of xenophobia aren't set aside easily. But do not that I said Human and Humane. Most of the settings we've discussed are human-dominated.

As for macro cannons, I've seen a range of 40 km on the lexicanum. That's not going to help you much.
You' re mixing up ground based and space based macro cannons. Which is okay, they're easy to confuse because they have the same bloody name. But BFG and a wealth of Black Library novels confirm the range.

And Chaos is often human too, and they're going to be at least as tempting as the Federation or Empire, and the Imperium hasn't fallen yet.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 05, 2016, 11:47:05 am »

Deuterium specifically is an isotope of hydrogen, and exactly one neutron heavier. It's also not especially rare, available in low concentration wherever hydrogen or water are. If the replicators just convert stuff into energy and back again, the only thing that matters is the mass of an object, so a two-ounce gold watch could easily become a two-ounce box of nanitic medical supplies or something.
Well then Deuterium is a very weird example then and I have no idea why its considered rare.

As for the "the only thing that matters is the mass of an object" no. What matters is the ATOMIC mass of an object. Basically how many protons are in its atom.
So you could convert lead (82 protons) to gold (79 protons) at a somewhat decent exchange rate, but converting oxygen (8 protons) into gold would quickly deplete the atmosphere.
This also explains why that watch would be energy rich, since it was gold and gold is one of the decently high massed elements.
Meanwhile most foodstuffs are made of carbon which has only 6 protons and is thus easy to make lots of.
So basically people mine things because metals and such tend to have higher atomic mass and thus make buttloads of food.

Exactly.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 05, 2016, 12:05:36 pm »

Tack, no need to insult mainiac either. Alao, if you want to take it to PMs, you could, you know, PM him instead of berating him here....

Where can i find info on spaceborne macro cannons?

Also, given that ramming is a viable tactic in BFG, thats a sign the imperium lack range.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 05, 2016, 12:31:02 pm »

But it's less likely that I, RPGeek and Sheb all have a hidden bias towards all of the people you were arguing with.

I have no beef with Sheb.

I appreciate you coming out against dickishness though.  My honor is satisfied, there is no need for a duel.

Also, given that ramming is a viable tactic in BFG, thats a sign the imperium lack range.

Ramming is such an iconic tactic that it shows up pretty much everywhere.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 05, 2016, 12:42:46 pm »

Then I too shall cease my quiet seething at being called a white knight.
Edit: ... But now a duel sounds awesome cool.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:48:19 pm by Tack »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #792 on: July 05, 2016, 01:14:58 pm »

Crossbows are not a replacement for 15th century firearms. Firearms have similar reload times, better stopping power, and a massive psychological effect on the enemy.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 05, 2016, 01:22:45 pm »

Do they have more of an effect on enemies that are familier with them? Frightening Aztec I get, but European soldiers?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 05, 2016, 01:24:09 pm »

Probably would frighten the unfamiliar less, honestly. The Aztecs went around with their crazy Death Whistles, which were loud but harmless. It's only once you've seen what a gun can do to someone that the fear sets in beyond "loud noise".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 82