Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 129620 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #825 on: July 05, 2016, 03:54:50 pm »

NFO puts it pretty succinctly.

And deciding what angle to shoot at is not something volleys will help with. I agree on the others, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 05, 2016, 03:56:42 pm »

I searched for volleys and archers on google and can't find any historical sources one way or another. One nice point someone made is that by shooting in volley, you can be sure all your archers are effectivelly shooting in cadence. Otherwise,  a lot of them might be distracted, considering fleeing or doing something else than pouring arrows downrange as far as possible. Making them shoot in volley, just like making infantry goosestep, is a nice way to keep them all focused on the task and easily controllable.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #827 on: July 05, 2016, 03:57:34 pm »

Not to mention resupplying an entire unit is a task in itself. I'd imagine that knowing exactly how many bundles of arrows the unit needed would be a lot simpler than asking each individual how many arrows he used.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #828 on: July 05, 2016, 04:00:04 pm »

1. Galactic Empire owns an entire galaxy, Federation has about a fourth of one. Point Empire here.
I am pretty sure this isin't a thing. More like 3/4 or half of galaxy.

Actually, have a map.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 05, 2016, 04:02:14 pm »

1. Galactic Empire owns an entire galaxy, Federation has about a fourth of one. Point Empire here.

Actually, have a map.
Well that's still technically a point for the Empire, but I am gleeful nonetheless :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 05, 2016, 04:02:26 pm »

That's just because nobody lives in the other half of the galaxy but the fucking Chiss. I wouldn't even evolve next to them, much less share a spacefaring society.

The fucking Emperor was just like "nah it's good" when the Chiss asked if he was going to conquer their side of the galaxy, and conquest was like the only thing he was into.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 05, 2016, 04:04:43 pm »

Since the UFP doesn't even own the entire alpha quadrant, and instead shares it with the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, and whoever else, TGE owning sixty percent or so of their galaxy is an enormous point in their favor.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 05, 2016, 04:08:24 pm »

Since the UFP doesn't even own the entire alpha quadrant, and instead shares it with the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, and whoever else, TGE owning sixty percent or so of their galaxy is an enormous point in their favor.
The Cardassians aren't in the alpha quadrant, but the BETA quadrant. That's where DS9 is.
Federation has about half the Alpha and half the Beta quadrant under its control. Earth is literally the dividing line between the two quadrants.
So they effectively control 1/4 of their galaxy.

But yeah, like I said, still point Empire.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #833 on: July 05, 2016, 04:17:45 pm »

Actually, have a map.
Well that's still technically a point for the Empire, but I am gleeful nonetheless :P
Also, while this doesn't really give you numbers, it gives some sense of scale and where people actually live.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 05, 2016, 09:40:09 pm »

Star Wars strategies haven't changed because they've found what works. For them, at any rate. But stuff was still and is still being developed. Differences are more subtle, like cruise missiles vs. carriers or battlecruisers vs. dreadnoughts, but they're still there.
Examples of what exactly has changed would be nice.
As far as I can tell the biggest tech changes in the entirity of Star Wars canon are the Death Star and the Kaminoans perfecting cloning. These were both developed during the prequel movies, so I can only presume Palpatine was Evil Space Da Vinci.

Well, if you look at the changes in design from the Venator to the Star Destroyer...and yeah I'm kinda copping out on this one, mostly because I don't remember what the exact changes are. My point is mostly that while people think of it as technological stagnation, it's mostly because at a certain point, refinement is the only thing you can really do, that and I think strikecraft doctrine and design changes (look at the various TIE types that were developed in the EU after the events of the movies, for instance). That, and apparently superweapon design. >.> Whether it's the Sun Crusher or the new movie's Star Eater or whatever.

Kamino already had stupid good cloning, they just didn't have the facilities for such mass production and training, as far as I know.

I searched for volleys and archers on google and can't find any historical sources one way or another. One nice point someone made is that by shooting in volley, you can be sure all your archers are effectivelly shooting in cadence. Otherwise,  a lot of them might be distracted, considering fleeing or doing something else than pouring arrows downrange as far as possible. Making them shoot in volley, just like making infantry goosestep, is a nice way to keep them all focused on the task and easily controllable.
Another thing to note is that it's sortof like MRSI is for artillery nowadays. You can take evasive action to some degree against a single archer. Harder to do that against fifty. Morale impact helps too. But I'm pretty sure that once they got real close that it was basically fire at will. Once volleys would be less volleys and more horizontal sheets, that is.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:44:07 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 05, 2016, 09:46:53 pm »

Arguably I'd say the kaminoans cloning successes were more from methodology involved than the technology used to grow the clones. Also given the size of tipoca city and it's facilities, I'd likely say that they had the ability to produce a large army, just the production time was particularly lengthy compared to mass conscription, enlistment or the manufacture of droids.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 06, 2016, 01:59:38 pm »

The Cardassians aren't in the alpha quadrant, but the BETA quadrant. That's where DS9 is.
Federation has about half the Alpha and half the Beta quadrant under its control. Earth is literally the dividing line between the two quadrants.
So they effectively control 1/4 of their galaxy.

But yeah, like I said, still point Empire.
Err, the Cardies are in the Alpha Quadrant, as is Bajor.  The Klingons and Romulans are in the Beta Quadrant, as are the Vulcans.  Also, as a bit of a Trekkie myself, I think you're significantly overstating the size of the Federation.  The amount of space explored by the great powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants is maybe about half of each quadrant.  The UFP covers around 8000 light years in diameter, naturally with estimations given based on where it has met other great powers.  This seems rather large to us, but the Milky Way galaxy is at least 100 thousand light years in diameter.  In area, even assuming the UFP were a perfect disc from the "top" to "bottom" of the stellar disc, it covers less than 0.6% of the entire galaxy, which is a far cry from a quarter of the galaxy implied by control of half each of two quadrants.  I think you mistook "half of the Federation being in each quadrant" with "half of each quadrant is controlled by the Federation". 

EDIT:
To put this in perspective, if the Empire by volume were to be considered analogous to Russia in area (chosen due to being the largest country by area on Earth), the United Federation of Planets would correspond rather well to Belarus.  This neglects human capital or the ability to leverage this preponderance of force, but it is a tremendous preponderance of resources nonetheless.  So yes, point very much Empire. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:15:44 pm by Culise »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #837 on: July 06, 2016, 05:19:11 pm »

No. And that's not a particularly helpful comment, since you can't prove the converse.
Fair enough.
The advantages of volley fire outweigh any advantage you might gain in rate of fire. Men firing as they wish are going to be inaccurate. With peer pressure and direction from officers you can make everyone hit the same spot. Why trust individuals to judge their shots when you can control their fire to ensure that everyone hits the advancing enemy? There is also this impression that volley fire is somehow significantly slower than firing at will. If anything everyone will be faster by proceeding in a coordinated and instinctive manner, doing as they have been trained rather than being under pressure to make difficult decisions on their own.

Men were drilled because they needed to do as ordered, it was the officers who needed to be able to think independently. Allowing individual decision-making might increase rate of fire for the more skilled, confident, and independently-minded individuals, but for others it would slow their rate of fire to below average or make them so inaccurate as to be useless, or reducing the effectiveness of the fire while increasing its volume. The structure of armies for all time has always revolved around lowering the total amount of decisions that need to be made.

My point is that a higher rate of fire does not necessarily lead to more effective fire.
I can't speak for fire at will commands, as I'm not even sure if they existed when or how they were used

But to look at Agincourt where 6,000 English soldiers defeated 20-30,000 French soldiers with volley fire can show quite accurately when volley fire works just perfectly.
The English army had been marching for quite some time, suffering from starvation, dysentery, homesickness and constantly being outmaneuvred by a superior French force that was growing and whose commanders were competently maintaining their tactical advantages against the English. The French were aware of the danger of longbowmen, and aware that the English had sizeable numbers of them, thus the French commander Boucicault favoured simply starving the English army to surrender instead of risking open battle. If the French had known of the 6,000 English soldiers, 5,000 of them were Longbowmen from Wales and England, they may have attempted a more risky assault instead of their conservative approach which pretty much sealed the deal (though then again, French experiences with archers were that they were relatively worthless, so they may not have listened to Boucicault anyways, as part of the problem with the French army was Lords eager for glory ignoring the wisdom of experienced soldiers). They encamped at Agincourt, blocking the road to Calais, with the supply issue being quite shite, this forced the English to fight on French terms. The site the French chose was altogether quite narrow, with the ground being heavy clay (slowing their cavalry down), the French wearing much heavier armour after it had rained all over that heavy clay (heavy, sticky mud + heavy plate = slow, laborous charge), bounded by hills and forests.

The French delayed battle for 3 days, at which point King Henry in charge of the English army advanced to the narrowest point of the battlefield, setting up stakes before ordering his longbowmen with the heaviest bows to fire galling arrows into the French lines. These arrows were not meant to do much beyond wound, frighten and disorientate French horses and soldiers, which the nobility (making up the cavalry) found highly dishonourable and insulting. The French commanders Charles d'Albert and Boucicault were both experienced soldiers and good commanders, but they were not considered of high enough rank to be worth respecting, thus the cavalry ignored their commands and amassed to charge the dishonourable English longbowmen. Having already been attacked unprepared, the cavalry then attacked unprepared out of anger, with only 500 knights able to charge out of the 2,500 they had at the battlefield. In order to salvage a tremendously deteriorating situation, the infantry were ordered to follow up the knights. The heavy infantry, already slowed by the mud, were now even further slowed by the mud kicked up by the charging cavalry. The longbowmen held their arrows en masse until the cavalry were within 220 to 240 yards, at which point they loosed arrows into the cavalry.

5,000 longbowmen vs 500 knights, horses panicked, riders were thrown from their saddles, were inflicted with terrible wounds, the horses thrown back - trampling right into their own advancing infantry. The French army had crossbowmen and longbowmen of their own, but they had been placed behind the French footmen because they were unwilling to use them (sharing the same line as commoners and servants the Lords didn't really care to use), meaning the battle's outcome now depended on the fatigued heavy infantry. The heavy infantry were injured greatly by the volleys of longbowmen fire, but the real killer was their own march, trampling over and crushing their own fallen infantry in the drowning mud. This crushing march eventually reached the English lines and even managed to push them back a bit, but by then a counterattack was all that was needed to overpower the tired and wounded, capturing thousands (and momentarily executing many prisoners due to reports of French raids on their baggage train). The French were by then so densely packed that not only were they killing their own by falling upon one another, but they could hardly use their own weapons effectively in hand to hand combat. The English flanks continued pouring point blank fire at the packed infantry, which may have even managed to severely injure even the heaviest armoured nobleman, but the most significant thing is that at this point the French infantry were so exhausted they were pretty much done for.
With visors, a crush of human bodies and the long march under thousands of arrows, many suffocated to death in their own armour, or when knocked down no longer had the strength to lift themselves from the muck under the weight of so much armour.

I'm not really convinced then that the issue here is accuracy, speed, or independent thinking. Agincourt displayed both, and neither hampered accuracy or speed, and the longbowmen on the flanks were just as accurate as the core. I would suppose speed and accuracy are a matter of how well trained and disciplined the troops are, after all, your volley is only as good as your leadership and your soldiers' training (Henry ordering the first volley fire as the knights entered the furthest effective longbow range for example). Moreover, a shoddy archer will not be able to shoot where they are commanded to shoot if they are a shoddy archer, you don't really get better accuracy from an inaccurate archer - training is paramount (as the saying went, you trained a Welsh longbowman starting with his grandfather).
I suppose the greatest difference is that since you're not going to cause much in the way of casualties on heavily armoured infantry or cavalry either way with your arrows, with a volley you cause the most wounds and most importantly - panic. I reckon the psychological impact of a rain of thousands of arrows is more demoralizing than a pattering of arrows

Though I suspect you would want a pattering of arrows if you wanted to suppress enemy archers, that last bit is speculation I'm just completely guessing on tho

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #838 on: July 06, 2016, 11:37:11 pm »

The French men-at-arms were highly aware of the presence of English longbows, which is why they chose to wear their heaviest configuration of armor that day.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 07, 2016, 01:15:23 am »

Part of the question would also then be the amount of training and discipline you could expect from your troops.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 82