Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 82

Author Topic: Armchair General General - /AGG  (Read 129373 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair General General - /AGG
« Reply #930 on: July 12, 2016, 06:53:20 am »

Sorry yeah I was talking modern.
The original Damascus steel I believe involved green wood and other weird illuminati secrets.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 12, 2016, 06:56:33 am »

Sorry yeah I was talking modern.
The original Damascus steel I believe involved green wood and other weird illuminati secrets.
I heard unintentional nanotechnology and special ores.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #932 on: July 12, 2016, 07:03:09 am »

Damascus steel was basically Valyrian steel, to the point that some German sciencists reported carbon nanotubes and nanowires (wat) in those. Like, not even joking.

Afaik the katanas are only folded 'cos that's how oldtimeyjaps made steel.
Their steel was shit, as in it was hard to make it into a sword, not that the finished product was bad, and the easiest way to get it right was folding, IIRC. Europeans did the same thing in early middle ages with like Ulfberhts and stuff, albeit details vary.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #933 on: July 12, 2016, 07:11:30 am »

The finished product was bad, it was mass produced shit; the spear, naginata and bow were what did the killing

Top kekels when one of the Chinese Emperors even mass ordered Japanese swords in order to further drive down their quality and deprive pirates of good weapons

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 12, 2016, 07:12:01 am »

Damascus steel was basically Valyrian steel, to the point that some German sciencists reported carbon nanotubes and nanowires (wat) in those. Like, not even joking.
Have you read about the roman goblet?

Afaik the katanas are only folded 'cos that's how oldtimeyjaps made steel.
Their steel was shit, as in it was hard to make it into a sword, not that the finished product was bad, and the easiest way to get it right was folding, IIRC. Europeans did the same thing in early middle ages with like Ulfberhts and stuff, albeit details vary.
If you look at a resource map of japan there are few natural sources of iron ore, and lots of coal mines.

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #935 on: July 12, 2016, 07:21:06 am »

Don't be so rough on katanas though, the meme is funny and it's true they weren't wonder weapons and that majority of them were dog shit, but some of them, the expensive ones, were actually pretty good. I am not arguing that it was actually used as main weapon, but there is only so many ways you can fuck up a sharp metal stick and I refuse to belive they were as bad or as good as memes make them out to be. The truth is proably somewhere in between.

Have you read about the roman goblet?
Roman magic/acient aliens.

If you look at a resource map of japan there are few natural sources of iron ore, and lots of coal mines.
Uh, I think the whole deal is actually about that their iron was contaminated as fuck and they didin't have a lot of it so that's what the whole fuss about. I dunno, really.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #936 on: July 12, 2016, 07:28:33 am »

Don't be so rough on katanas though, the meme is funny and it's true they weren't wonder weapons and that majority of them were dog shit, but some of them, the expensive ones, were actually pretty good. I am not arguing that it was actually used as main weapon, but there is only so many ways you can fuck up a sharp metal stick and I refuse to belive they were as bad or as good as memes make them out to be. The truth is proably somewhere in between.
No, the truth is they're good for slicing peasants and drawing on a charging Mongolian, that's where it ends. You take a weapon that's used as a shite sidearm, forget how to make it in three dark ages, stick with the same design for 1300 years and what have you got? A shit inflexible sword whose purpose is romanticism and policing

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #937 on: July 12, 2016, 07:38:35 am »

I belive there is actually retarded variation of Katanas. Fat katanas, slim katanas, light katanas, heavy katanas, longer katanas, shorter katanas and whatever, which supposedly made them useful for various tasks, but that might be just modern thing.

In the end I guess that Katana is better than no weapon, though I would choose an infantry sabre (maybe an karabela, though I'd feel safer with a bit more armoured handguard) because I am apparently some kind of Poleaboo, even if I'm Polish myself.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 12, 2016, 07:44:55 am »

No, the truth is they're good for slicing peasants and drawing on a charging Mongolian, that's where it ends. You take a weapon that's used as a shite sidearm, forget how to make it in three dark ages, stick with the same design for 1300 years and what have you got? A shit inflexible sword whose purpose is romanticism and policing
[Citation Need]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #939 on: July 12, 2016, 07:48:00 am »

I've done my bit

I had 2,600 words worth of this crap going through bloomery iron to the dark ages and all that, but I lost it due to virus attack

I may retreat my ground there, but as it stands, Katanas are very low priority for me

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #940 on: July 12, 2016, 07:56:08 am »

I've done my bit
God Emperor, I got cancer just by listening to first 5 seconds of the Cringemaster America speaking.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #941 on: July 12, 2016, 07:58:32 am »

It gave me katana fatigue

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 12, 2016, 08:55:51 am »

The only problem I have with lindybeige is that he's the only youtuber who hasn't replied to my shit posts.   

They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 12, 2016, 09:13:51 am »

Katanas were pretty shitty for a long while. Then the Mongols invaded. The Japanese bladesmiths were not pleased to learn about their swords snapping in Mongolian brigandine armor. They revamped their techniques, and the swords got pretty good.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #944 on: July 12, 2016, 09:45:13 am »

The Mongols didn't actually invade, preliminary vanguards were all that made it to Japan, as both their Korean invasion fleets were destroyed by divine winds. Thus the Japanese katana was untested against real enemies, remaining useless compared to the entire world
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 82