Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 344607 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2760 on: July 23, 2020, 06:04:25 am »

"Oh, yes!  You've brought that up before, I believe.  It's a very interesting idea, though it would be a lot of work, for us both.  Still... I think I'd have a lot of fun working with you on it.  I really don't know much about the design of Japan's architecture, so you would have to help me a lot there."  He nods absently as he continues idly speaking.  "I've felt very listless, lately.  I think I've been working with the clockworks too much, filling my head with gears and structural diagrams.  A truly creative project would be good for me, it's been too long since I focused on true art, rather than mathematical schematics.  Yes, I'd really like to work on the painting world, that would be a wonderful project!"

Ekrov pauses, then suddenly dives forward and hugs Saeko tightly--an extremely unusual display of affection for the typically reserved boy.  He holds on for a few seconds before releasing Saeko and leaning back, holding her at arms' length.  "Thank you, Saeko.  You always help me see things differently, it's a pity we don't talk more often." he pauses again, then nods and releases her, stepping back.  "I've kept you too long, though.  You just wanted to say thanks for the gun--go ahead and start your hunting."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: July 23, 2020, 06:17:09 am »

"Don't be embarassed, Ekrov, you've done plenty for me.  I'm just glad you're happy."

"As for the hunting.. eh, I'm thinking it's a little less urgent.  After that talk, I'm not really expecting to level up anymore.  I think I'll just go looking for those two words we got a lead on.  When we go to the sky, I think we might need some strong summons.. there could be thousands of robots up there, far more than we should fight alone."

"I'll keep in touch on this." At that, she waves the magical messaging device.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: July 23, 2020, 11:42:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
“It filled up a large room. Whatever it’s there for is likely in the room or in the underground ruins somewhere”

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: July 24, 2020, 03:30:02 am »

"That's quite possible. But it doesn't change my responsibility. I can't just give it away to someone who will misuse it. WHY do you need it? What will you use it for?"
This could be trouble. I need the crew to recover before the attackers do if I want to avoid slaughtering the attackers with attack spells. They aren't going to back off, and we're both stalling for time at this point.
I'm kinda expecting the big guy to try to attack me soon. when he does I'm going to have to do something violent and destructive. probably freeze and shatter him. But I don't want to do that unless he attacks, and I'm keeping my distance to make sure I'll have time to react and do it before he can actually swing. In the meantime, I'm going to keep talking, and hopefully learn this guys motive.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: July 24, 2020, 10:31:44 am »

Basically, the idea with the gun modifications is that it should be low enough weight to be easily wieldable for Saeko, whether she's flying around or in a close range fight.  And it has a lower rate of fire, so it's still controllable.  These two changes would reduce its damage and range; how much they should be removed is up to you.  The purpose of the thaumic charge thing which makes the bullets more powerful is simply to make the gun go back to its normal damage die.

...As a reminder, when asked about the damage of the machine guns awhile back, you responded "d12, if memory serves, though they often roll multiples."  So I'd expect the gun to go down to d10 or d8, with the thaumic buff increasing its damage back to d12.

As to the "battery size" of the silencing enchantment, go with 25.  As far as making sure the thaumic component can successfully affect the bullets as they pass through the barrel... I dunno, know roll up a clockwork design that can do it?  Or just use "Clockwork" to summon some kinda internal timing system that can ensure the thaumic enchant always hits the bullets, rather than the air in the gun.  In both cases, do try to make the system non-essential to the gun's normal operation.  If the clockworks jam or something, it would be preferable if the whole damn gun didn't jam too.

That's all for the gun.  Grab the universal lubricant and place two enchantments on it.  The first uses "Speed Animate Iron" to make it float around within a short distance according to Ekrov's will, draining mana while it's flying.  So, he can will it to fly over and ram itself into a tree, burning a few points of mana out of its internal battery, then tell it to fly into another tree, or back to him.  It's a large metal ball, so in addition to using this to "select" materials while staying a safe distance away, I want it to be powerful enough that it can do damage when slamming into things.  Battery of 40 for this.

The second enchant is a simple "Banish Iron" spell, which makes it teleport back into Ekrov's possession when he recalls it.  Specifically, it only teleports back to Ekrov.  I'd like this to work at a distance; if someone steals the ball from him, he can use this enchant to bring it back.  I don't know if this idea would really work, since I want it to be tied to Ekrov in a way without actually enchanting Ekrov.  If possible, use the same mana pool battery as the first enchant.

Melt magicoal.

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2765 on: July 24, 2020, 11:52:54 am »

Try and convince him to allow me to use the acid
"If you give me the acid, I'll use a little as possible. I only need enough to disable the beast."
Ask others to join me
"I'll allow anyone who joins me to keep some of what salvage is left once the beast is killed.

[4,4]
You manage to convince the three other men to cooperate with you, and for the one with the acid to use it. He doesn't agree to give it to you, but does agree to use it on your command.

"You mean some way of subverting that army? The Sculptor who works for Saeko seems to like machines and has the Clockwork Material. Maybe you could get his help?"

[Blank, empty stare into space.]

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
"It is possible. We will look into multiple avenues. Regardless,you have done well. In peace times there is a mandated week of rest between missions if you wish to take it, otherwise, there are further jobs we need done. Report to your captain when ready."

“It filled up a large room. Whatever it’s there for is likely in the room or in the underground ruins somewhere”
"Did you see if it seemed to be gathering anything? Gold? People? Water? Angelic things are odd, but they have patterns. If its gathering water we can just let it be...but if its gathering other things..."

"That's quite possible. But it doesn't change my responsibility. I can't just give it away to someone who will misuse it. WHY do you need it? What will you use it for?"
This could be trouble. I need the crew to recover before the attackers do if I want to avoid slaughtering the attackers with attack spells. They aren't going to back off, and we're both stalling for time at this point.
I'm kinda expecting the big guy to try to attack me soon. when he does I'm going to have to do something violent and destructive. probably freeze and shatter him. But I don't want to do that unless he attacks, and I'm keeping my distance to make sure I'll have time to react and do it before he can actually swing. In the meantime, I'm going to keep talking, and hopefully learn this guys motive.

The man makes a sudden move...away from you. To your surprise he doesn't make a mad charge at you, instead he dashes for the edge of the deck and leaps into the water, disappearing beneath the surface with a splash.

Try tapping our sunbro staff against the door. Also let Darwin touch it, maybe his covenant with Alizarin will be recognized?

If that doesn't do anything, consider whether opening this door would require a specific artifact or key of some sorts, or if we more need to present a certain type of item (eg. something related to the sun and something related to the dead goddess from this place).

If it seems like we really need a specific item, then first check if there are no side entrances or anything like that. If not, Ecalir can try to blow us a hole into the temple with the manasword. First tap the door with the lotus orb in case there is a protective enchantment over it.

You tap on the door with your staff and touch it with your bare hand. Nothing. You have Eclair attempt to open it with brute strength and, to your surprise it does actually budge a good inch or so. Its just too heavy for him to get it any further than that; you just need some greater strength. Or perhaps better leverage?

The sound of bells, at first completely indistinguishable, has risen into a soft, seemingly distant noise. The Lizard thing hasn't stirred yet, but you begin to worry about staying here too long.

Use the recovered water-producing basin from the ruins of Gravid for part of a thaumic building.  Use it, along with Chemical, Grow, and Plant from the various word-jades to make an artificial mana-powered stream, that can be filled with chemicals intended as impossibly effective plant fertilizer.

Aim for efficiency, and try to find out how much land can be watered and fertilized for one mana/day, and what (if any) more words will help make it more mana-efficient.

It is to be powered and controlled through a wire hooked up to the mothplane.  Give it a chunk of magicoal if it needs a top-up, but at 1 mana/day, should be fine for a while.

Also, get my thaum (33) converted to mana through Ekrov.

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)
Ok...so lets go over this.

You want to use that basin eh? That basic is a thaumic machine that, when powered, produces water. Its circuit is very simple:

Mana--->Crystal with "Water" inscribed----->Output (water).

You want to use those word jades, which are tablets with words inscribed on them. Does that mean you want to inscribe those words on your own crystals and lay them in series with the existing circuit for something like

Mana---->Water-->Chemical--->Grow--->Plant---->Output

Or are you going to do something more like...just putting a spell on the basin itself such that any water it produces is transformed into a chemical that makes plants grow quickly?

Basically, the idea with the gun modifications is that it should be low enough weight to be easily wieldable for Saeko, whether she's flying around or in a close range fight.  And it has a lower rate of fire, so it's still controllable.  These two changes would reduce its damage and range; how much they should be removed is up to you.  The purpose of the thaumic charge thing which makes the bullets more powerful is simply to make the gun go back to its normal damage die.

...As a reminder, when asked about the damage of the machine guns awhile back, you responded "d12, if memory serves, though they often roll multiples."  So I'd expect the gun to go down to d10 or d8, with the thaumic buff increasing its damage back to d12.

As to the "battery size" of the silencing enchantment, go with 25.  As far as making sure the thaumic component can successfully affect the bullets as they pass through the barrel... I dunno, know roll up a clockwork design that can do it?  Or just use "Clockwork" to summon some kinda internal timing system that can ensure the thaumic enchant always hits the bullets, rather than the air in the gun.  In both cases, do try to make the system non-essential to the gun's normal operation.  If the clockworks jam or something, it would be preferable if the whole damn gun didn't jam too.

That's all for the gun.  Grab the universal lubricant and place two enchantments on it.  The first uses "Speed Animate Iron" to make it float around within a short distance according to Ekrov's will, draining mana while it's flying.  So, he can will it to fly over and ram itself into a tree, burning a few points of mana out of its internal battery, then tell it to fly into another tree, or back to him.  It's a large metal ball, so in addition to using this to "select" materials while staying a safe distance away, I want it to be powerful enough that it can do damage when slamming into things.  Battery of 40 for this.

The second enchant is a simple "Banish Iron" spell, which makes it teleport back into Ekrov's possession when he recalls it.  Specifically, it only teleports back to Ekrov.  I'd like this to work at a distance; if someone steals the ball from him, he can use this enchant to bring it back.  I don't know if this idea would really work, since I want it to be tied to Ekrov in a way without actually enchanting Ekrov.  If possible, use the same mana pool battery as the first enchant.

Melt magicoal.

1 coal, 39 mana.
Alright so lets assume its d12, single shot instead of multiple for slower firing and making that damage enhancing thing work.  The battery ends up being 19 after the cost of spell is deducted.

As per those spells, I will say this: Placing spells directly on the sculpture CAN cause the sculpture to become inert. Sculptures are very specific things, not even you understand exactly how they work, so magic can interfere with their working. It won't always, but it CAN. However, if you were to say...hover and move a HOUSING on the sculpture, then that would be danger free. The teleportation is unfortunately always gonna have a risk.

The difficulty of these spells is d8 and the second one depends on the distance. d12 would be within a mile, d20 within several miles.  If you want a housing built, that would be 3 gold.  You can roll these yourself if you choose to, to save time.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: July 24, 2020, 12:14:52 pm »

Think I want to make two circuits, actually.

Leave the existing Mana ---> Water ---> Output one.

Then make a second one for making the fertilizer.  Mana --> Chemical --> Grow --> Plant --> Output.

Both into the same bowl, so they mix.  With a spirit to monitor the process, should be able to control the ratio, if each is wired seperately.

Unless I can put more than one word on a crystal, in which case it'll be Mana --> Chemical, Plant, Grow --> Output.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:28:57 pm by Devastator »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: July 24, 2020, 10:18:14 pm »

Well, so long as he stays away this is fine. I do need the people from where he came from to know my intentions regarding the sword. I'll keep my eyes and ears open though in case he's just trying to flank me.
I turn to the next possible leader of the group, and release that individual, again alone, from his paralysis.
"And what about you? What are your reasons for your actions?"

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: July 24, 2020, 11:55:57 pm »

Go with two gold wires, one for Mana ---> Water ---> Output, and one for Mana --> Chemical --> Grow --> Plant --> Output.

Then, go to Ekrov to recieve biomodding.

Finish a couple of emergency options for the trip away.  Make a popsicle stick with a ten-minute duration d8 Strengthen Grow Expand Bird spell, to make self much more bird (in shape) and more bird (in size) along with my armour.  For fighting.

Make another one with an hour duration d8 Strengthen reverse-Grow reverse-Expand Speed Bird, to make self much more bird (in shape) and less bird (in size), again, along with my armour.  And significantly faster.  For escape.

Make one more with a fifteen-second duration d8 Force Wall, to surround myself in a nearly impenetrable force-field.  If I can control it, try to make it more like a skin than a bubble.

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 04:57:55 am by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: July 25, 2020, 12:16:30 am »

I'll take a new mission. I'm out of mana though, how does that supply chain work for us? I figured we were just supposed to supply it for ourselves.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: July 25, 2020, 01:13:47 am »

After a few minutes of pleasantries, and some oohing and ahhing over the gun, Saeko puts on a bit more of a serious face.

"Ekrov, there's just one more thing I'd like before I go off hunting down those words.

"Are you okay with using the biomodder gloves on me?  I'd really like my condition fixed.  These eyes aren't good out there in the sun, and I'm worried I'll get really sunburnt."

"And well.. if you're working on my eyes.."  She halts for a moment, and her ears twitch.  "Do you think you could make them better?  I know you're not quite comfortable with that, but I think it'd be a great help if I could see like a hawk."

"I could cast a spell for it, but I'm afraid I might mutate again.  If you don't feel comfortable using the gloves, I'll do it that way instead.  You'd be okay with fixing the mutation instead, right?"
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:23:46 am by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: July 27, 2020, 02:48:05 am »

You tap on the door with your staff and touch it with your bare hand. Nothing. You have Eclair attempt to open it with brute strength and, to your surprise it does actually budge a good inch or so. Its just too heavy for him to get it any further than that; you just need some greater strength. Or perhaps better leverage?

Invest 10 mana to bring str to +1. Then, grab something that we can use as a crowbar of sorts (something from our digging tools perhaps, or from our camping gear, we should have something suitable) and then have Ecalir and Darwin work together to try and open it.

If we don't have enough strength like this, use sunbro staff to bring Darwin's strength to d10 (if that's something that can be done fast and isn't very loud). If still not enough, have Ecalir cast a d6 multiply spell to multiply our leverage and/or strength for a few seconds to help us open up that door.

Either way, try to only open it wide enough so that the two of us can slip through, no need to give the biggo lizardos an entrance as well. Then go in and keep looking for the dominion.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:58:29 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: July 27, 2020, 05:31:10 am »

”It is gathering people. I know this because people go missing down there. What kind of supplies are needed to fight angelic beings?”

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: July 27, 2020, 09:55:13 am »

Use my stonk muscles to help out Darwin in getting this door open. If pure musclepower doesn't do it, help him with whatever magical shenanigans he's got planned.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: July 28, 2020, 05:08:42 am »

Yeah, spend 3 gold crafting a housing for the Universal Lubricant, and do the enchant on the housing.  You suggested I roll for it myself, so I rolled a good ol' physical d8, and... got a 7.  ._.

Go bodymod Saeko, using the biomodder gloves she wanted.  This should roll know, to my understanding; that's why Ekrov is doing it.  She wants to have her albinism removed, restoring her to her original skin/eye colors, and while at it, she also wants her eyes to be improved into hawk-like eyes.

Last few things to craft for Saeko before she leaves.  I want to make a few of those emergency popsicle sticks which cast a premade spell upon being broken.  I don't know the costs of making these; if possible, I'd like to make batches of five for each, but if each needs a d10+ spell individually, just make two of each.

First: "Blink" stick.  Uses Banish.  Upon being broken, teleports the user ~15 feet in a nearby direction, either their choice (if that's easy), or in the direction the stick is being pointed in.  It's NOT precise, unless that would essentially be free.  Basically meant to be an emergency escape/dodge.

Second: "Stealth" stick.  Uses Banish again.  Upon being broken, casts an illusion to partially hide the user from view while quieting their movements and such for about a minute.  Not full invisibility, or full silence, more like a partial transparency/muffling effect.

Last item to craft: A thaumic clockwork smoke grenade.  It's a thaumic crystal with a strong "Cloud" effect engraved on it, with the clockwork segment just being a time delay.  When the timer runs out, it summons an *illusion* of a cloud around it, continuing to summon and maintain the illusion until its mana charge runs out.  It's reusable, just pick it up and recharge it.  The body and timer should be simple enough to make from clockwork bits that are lying around.

...Throw in a "sticky" enchant on the smoke grenade, a normal enchantment that has a battery of 2, after cost. 

Melt magicoal.

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 203