Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Trials of The Outsider  (Read 5781 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Trials of The Outsider
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 12:34:33 am »

I opened it with Notepad++ and got:
Code: [Select]
And then it started like a guilty thing
Upon a fearful summons.

itwashereitwashereitwashereitwashereitwashereitwashereitwashereitwashereiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Which is from Hamlet. I suspect that someone (Jackrabbit?) is leading us on a scavenger hunt.

Full error message:
C:\users\USERNAME\Downlo~1\TRIALS~1.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:e700 IP:6951 OP:ff ff ff ff ff Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
The tilde nonsense is a result of it being on DOS, in BASIC I believe (maximum 8 letter filenames). The other nonsense is the fact that, shockingly, the code does not recognize anything from hamlet. What's "IP:6951" though?

Running it in DOSBOX, it just crashes. I'm pretty sure there's nothing more hidden than a bunch of shakespeare.

Edited for filepath typo

Added: Also, Jackrabbit, I demand that you open it in Notepad++ and textdump it, so we can see what you supposedly have nine kilobytes of.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:39:27 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 12:36:31 am »

Uh. Do you want me to reupload it or something? That is...

What? Seriously?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 12:40:43 am »

Note edits to above post.

Anyway, IF there is actually mysteriousness here, it happened between you and Uploader. I wanna see a nine kilobyte file. And don't tell me you can't get notepad++ to work.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 05:40:43 am »

Uh oh Jack, I think he's on to you.  Now the question is, Sensei, why do you have to tear down something that looked cool and stuff?  Honestly, if Jack is making this up, that might be cooler than playing a random alpha he found.  This is why we can't have nice things, you're too cynical.

Also, insert obligatory "No Jack! You are the demons!" reference here.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 06:25:04 am »

I was never sure if you quoted me out of irony or because you genuinely thought I was funny.

And don't worry about it, I'll do what he asked. I haven't been doing it because I was out all day and posting from my iPod and when I got home I couldn't be bothered. Severe headaches do that.

EDIT: I can't open it in notepad. I know I already did before, when I was confronted with, well, code, but now it won't let me, saying that it's being used by another person or program or whatever. I know how much of a copout this must seem, but it's true.

But that doesn't matter. What does matter is this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First off, I copied the file and pasted it here because I got the fairly ludicrous idea that moving it would change the file size.

It appears to have done so. But that's not the worst of it. I took a picture, closed the document, put the picture in paint to ready it for imageshack and then when I went back to open the document:

The filesize had fucking changed. And the game refused to work. And then there's this, the what the fucky'est of the what the fucks.

The actual file had changed. And I can still play it, oh yes, it still works. But it changed for no reason. I've reuploaded it, because I don't know what else to do. I guess I'll submit it for your frank approval, Sensei.

Here. http://www.2shared.com/file/10934134/5f1fc349/Trials_of_The_Outsider.html
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:18:01 am by Jackrabbit »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 11:27:06 am »

First download :D

Of course, it still doesn't work, but whatever. Viruses for me and all that.

Because this is obviously ASCIIDraw, in case any of you haven't figured it out by now.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:09:05 pm by Mr.Person »
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Synzig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 03:08:46 pm »

I refuse to believe this isn't real.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 03:44:06 pm »

I refuse to believe that too, because believing that it is real is much better. now, let him continue.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 04:30:02 pm »

EDIT: I can't open it in notepad. I know I already did before, when I was confronted with, well, code, but now it won't let me, saying that it's being used by another person or program or whatever. I know how much of a copout this must seem, but it's true.

Restart the computer.  Really, I'm all in favor of going along with this narrative, but you have to really try.

By the way, I love how you took screenshots of the folder in front of your browser with the forum open, like a newspaper in a ransom photo.  Completely ignoring that you just edit all the text in Paint anyway.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 06:13:05 pm »

I don't really know what difference it makes where I took the photo if you honestly think I edited it anyway.

EDIT: And I don't know about that thing with the bow. I guess I just assumed that if I had arrows I had a bow. Possibly a different inventory screen? That wouldn't make much sense but this does appear to be a very early version of the game. I guess I'm just lucky my bow wasn't lying around before I left.

Oh, oh oh, and the full name folder thing is because I moved the game from Program Files and gave it it's own folder and it's capitalized because, well, because it is.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:36:07 pm by Jackrabbit »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 06:36:46 pm »

Go north. Let's see some more of this town.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 06:54:08 pm »

I don't really know what difference it makes where I took the photo if you honestly think I edited it anyway.

And once again my spotty typing bites me in the ass.  Completely ignoring that you CAN just edit all the text in Paint anyway.  That's what that sentence was supposed to be.  You know I got your back Jack.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 06:59:49 pm »

Ah, I see. Really, it was a case of me mixing it up between either pressing alt-printscreen or getting real tricky and not pressing alt-printscreen. The difference is negligible although yes, I do like the effect.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 07:06:31 pm »

You also let some typos fly. Plus posting it on a forum were at least half of the users play ASCII games more then once in a while, and using DF style walls, which I must say I never saw in any other roguelike EVER (much less the early day ones), sorta doomed it from the start. The shakespeare was a nice touch though.

You should have posted it somewhere people aren't as roguelike/DF savvy, but are willing to believe in evil vydia games, like /v/ or /x/. I wish people would've let it fly for more, it was an interesting story, a poorly disguised fake, but still interesting.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:09:44 pm by Dakk »
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 07:09:14 pm »

Meh, I never expected this to fly, ever. It would have been nice, but just not possible.

That doesn't mean I'm going to stop. I'm certain I can make this fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6