Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Omod Ed - The Realm of Legends (32x tileset test fort)  (Read 2026 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Omod Ed - The Realm of Legends (32x tileset test fort)
« on: October 11, 2016, 03:19:26 pm »

Hey everyone!

I want to play a community fort testing my new tileset, who is interested?

We would play dwarves in a relatively normal mountain embark, maybe a partial good/evil biome.

I'd love to build a bit of everything the game has to offer, to check if I missed any tiles while making the tileset. That means a crazy fortress!

Edit: Tileset looks like this:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:46:39 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: 32x32 test fort - Need players with 1440p or 4k displays
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 06:43:33 pm »

Dwarf Fortress- a game without graphics (in the modern sense) giving you reason to upgrade your monitor, lol.  I'm sitting at 1920x1080, which I know isn't exactly new.  Still though, I didn't think 4k was all too common just yet.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 07:28:10 pm »

There were some cheap korean 4k a while back, the problem with such cheap monitors is having the expensive graphics cards (and game support) to make it worthwhile.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 11:53:34 pm »

My laptop is a 4K 17" screen. I was really hoping DFHack would make it to 43.05 before really getting into a new fort, but I'll download the 32x32 tileset and try it out. 

If nothing else, it'd be a neat excuse to put together a silly embark. What size do you usually embark?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 12:01:18 am »

Reading the title, I was expecting a 32x32 tile embark (4 region tiles).

What size are you planning embark for, then? An 1x1 embark would take 1536 pixels both ways, which wouldn't fit on my screen.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 04:39:06 am »

A 1x1 embark would still take 80 tiles, because of the menu.

I'd embark on a normal 4x4 embark.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Omod Ed - The Realm of Legends (32x tileset test fort)
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 10:27:56 am »

Chapter 1: Embark

Melbilorrun.

A name not often heard in the Mountainhomes since the incident.

Melbilorrun.

The lost expedition of 127.

Melbilorrun.

Our destination.

We, the 7, will reclaim what was lost. Reclaim the honor of the dwarves, discover what happened that fateful day, a decade ago. Why a once flourishing outpost is filled with nothing but empty corridors and the whispers of the wind. What happened to the inhabitants? We will find out.

Spoiler: Embark map (click to show/hide)

It lies in the center of our great kingdom, untouched from the relentless assaults of the goblins on the northern and eastern fronts. No humans from the west have set foot there, nor did the uneasy truce with the elves break. Right in the center of our kingdom, yet ignored and shunned, avoided by all caravans, traders and mercenaries alike.

A thick fog lies in the air on our arrival.

Before us, the great hall. Empty, except for the trade depot, with wares intact, covered only by cobwebs and dust. Nothing touched it hence. No disturbance in the dust, no imprints...

No plants either, as if nature itself avoided the place. No greenery, no bush, no tree in the vicinity of the former fortress. A small trail leads to the forest pond, never to be finished. To the north, the great merchant road leaves the fort, the only entrance.

Curiously, a small path to the west leads to the second road... yet it ends in the solid wall. No hidden pathway, as far as our mason could detect. And he is a Dwarven mason after all. We know our fortresses.

Someone must have bricked it shut. But was it to keep something out, or lock it in?

Spoiler: Hall and embark group (click to show/hide)

We, the 7, stopped our wagon at the north-eastern corner, next to the former doorway. First order of business will be exploration, sealing the potentially dangerous path that leads deep into the bowels of the former fort, and filling the hall with... anything, really. Anything is better than the silence.

We will build and labor. We will drink and eat and be merry. We will let the voices of dwarves be heard again.

And then, we will muster a great militia and reclaim what was once ours.

(OOC: Embarked with 7 dwarves, lifestock, 3 picks, 1 axe, 1 sword, on a dwarven ruin.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:47:31 am by Meph »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Omod Ed - The Realm of Legends (32x tileset test fort)
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 11:36:01 pm »

Armor up and kill whatever FB is in the depths? Or first train a bit of mining to that the picks strike true?

A spooky introduction, nonetheless. Are those FB webs?