Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35

Author Topic: Internet habits which annoy you.  (Read 97927 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Internet habits which annoy you.
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2012, 12:40:25 pm »

I'm somewhat disappointed that I couldn't think up more for this.  I used to have a long list of things to complain about at any given moment, and some were internet related stuff.  Guess I mellowed out some in the last few years.

I'm not sure I consider the whole poor grammer thing a valid answer to this since it's not exactly a habit and is hardly limited to the internet.  But... it still jars me whenever I see people get possessiveness wrong on words, or use then / than improperly.  Or your / you're.  Or their / there / they're.  Possesiveness on its / it's is a bit less of a problem to me since it goes against the common rules of English.

Anyway... not sure that I should continue the MLP discussion considering how many mines there are in that minefield (and the effects of their previous detonations), but I can completely understand where everyone is coming from there.  I'm a brony, but I used to hate it whenever I had anime shoved in my face at every turn on the internet.  I still don't care for anime, but I used to detest it because I couldn't get away from it, and people made it out as if it was just absolutely magically more fantabulous than western animation because Japan.  Or something like that.  I've learned to mostly just not care now, because I realized it was pretty stupid to get so irritated at nothing.

There are pretty strong parallels to the current brony community.  Ponies are everywhere and if you don't like it, it's pretty hard to avoid ponies.  It's one of the main reasons I don't have a pony avatar, for example.  I know how the people who don't like ponies feel.

To be fair though, I mellowed out about the anime thing before I became a brony.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 01:57:56 pm »

The massive over-defensiveness and insecurity combined with group-think that comes with most large online communities.

An outsider* criticised** something we hold dear? THEY MUST DIE***!

I can think of a number of communities I share interests with where their reaction to criticism, usually accurate/justified, has put me off them far more than the criticism itself.

*Outsider may or may not be an outsider. More often a fan who has been put off by something.
**Criticism usually here means actually analysed to demonstrate flaws using an explicit set of criterion.
***Usually actionable death threats are only occasional, although death wishes and borderline threats are common. If female, rape threats and wishes guaranteed, regardless of the criticised group's progressive/accepting/female friendly credentials.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2012, 02:03:49 pm »

When people say "dwarfs"
MLP gifs.
Stupid youtube comments
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2012, 02:11:15 pm »

This. Yes, the language was different 100 years ago, and it shall be different 100 years into the future, but ‘could of’ is awkward and clumsy right now.
"Could care less" and others that reverse the meaning of the original phrase (eg "Impossible to understate his contribution" for someone who contributed a lot) are ones that I can't quite tolerate either.  It's better if you can logically work out what a phrase means rather than have it backwards.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2012, 02:37:10 pm »

When people say "dwarfs"

Your height dwarfs me o_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2012, 02:46:37 pm »

The availability cascade in general annoys me. Sure, you can link to someone else who thinks the same way as you. Good for you. That means both of you are wrong/not objectively right.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2012, 02:47:53 pm »

When people say "dwarfs"

Your height dwarfs me o_o

Of course, the classical usage of the word was in fact "dwarfs". Tolkien used "dwarves" (as well as other things, such as "elvish" instead of "elfish") to differentiate between his conception of them and the contemporary norm. So if anything, "dwarfs" is 'more correct', though wrangling over something like that borders on pendantry. That said, I really wish that "dwarrow" had taken hold, rather than "dwarves".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2012, 03:15:24 pm »

DF memes, general 4 chan terms used elsewhere on the net, people not letting other people like or dislike what they like or dislike and general stuff like that.

Most annoying for me though is internet elitism. Be it indie elitism, console elitism, old game elitism, any of that shit.

you shouldn't post drunk kids
Yeah, one should avoid that. Thanks for giving me new idea for avatar though!

Wait. If I never posted drunk I'd never post?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2012, 03:39:33 pm »

Wait. If I never posted drunk I'd never post?
In that case you should avoid posting sober. Just have to pick a state of mind and commit to it. 

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2012, 03:53:48 pm »

you shouldn't post drunk kids
True, their parents tend to not like that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2012, 04:27:19 pm »

People Who Type Like This.

It Annoys The Hell Out Of Me And Makes It Very Hard To Read.
It Could Just Be The Very Long Title Of A Book. Have You Ever Thought Of That?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2012, 04:32:54 pm »

That Still WouldN't Make Sense. Unless Every Word Was Someone's Name.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2012, 04:33:29 pm »

No, But I Don't Think That A 3 Paragraph Long Post Would Be The Title Of A Book (Yes, I Have Seen Someone Type That Much Like This. I Fail To See Why They Do, All It Does Is Take More Time Than typing like this)
In all seriousness, I think some forums automatically turn ALL-CAPS POSTS OF RAGE into the stuff that bugs you. It's not them typing it out themselves (sometimes).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2012, 04:35:14 pm »

I Fail To See How This Method Of Capitalization Impairs Literacy.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2012, 04:37:56 pm »

Oh, this...

My manager does this in comments in his programs and scripts.  No idea why.  It used to annoy me when I read it, but like everything else you're subjected to for extended periods I grew numb to it.  He's a great programmer otherwise, so it's forgivable I suppose.  I perform the arguably worse sin of over commenting everything, so I don't mention it.

At least program comments are generally short.  If I had to read an entire paragraph written that way I'd want to stab my eyes out.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35