Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: (SG) Penal Governor  (Read 8552 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Penal Governor
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2024, 11:07:01 pm »

Could Beatriz somehow use illusion magic to induce the crowd to clear a landing spot? Crushing our charges with the shuttle wouldn't be a good look, and every second wasted trying to manuever the landing will bring more and more death.

"Beatriz, I would like the shuttle to pick us up without turning a bunch of my colonists into smears on the ground. Could you perhaps encourage them to move?"

The Transhuman offers you a wicked grin. "On it, boss."

BALOOOOOOSH!

Three more explosions rock the concert grounds, right on your position. Had they been real instead of illusion, you would have been vaporized. Three more monsters, these ones clearly labeled as non-existent by your helmet's hud, rise and begin to harass and herd the crowd. You holster your grenade launcher for a moment, and tap on your wrist interface to log onto coms and alert the shuttle to your plans and the false nature of the new monsters.

You are mildly surprised, upon logging in, to hear a cacophony of mostly unfamiliar voices.

"Three more? Fuck!"

"Hang in there, Autumn. We are 10 minutes out."

"We would be 8 if you knew how to operate that fucking Jump Pack Joyce."

"Fuck you, Sabre."

It quickly occurs to you that Lady Mercury's group coms must run on the same network as her armory and nanites. You tap your interface a few times to get back to your own channel and hail the pilot, informing him of the plan. You then cue up some battlefield calculations on your helmet hud. The crowd is densely packed; Even with the added motivation of extra monsters, it will take them awhile to move. You have at least a minute and a half before your shuttle can land safely; Longer if you decide to have Sister Beatriz clear or mercy kill the poor sods who will inevitably get trampled in the chaos.

As it will take a moment for the shuttle to be ready, you run calculations on how fast you can reach the remaining elephant-moles on foot. The one without an opponent is moving away from you at a speed that makes it impossible to catch without the shuttle. You could reach Lady Mercury's burning victim in about two minutes, or half that if you asked Sister Beatriz to clear a bloody path through the crowd in your way. The one being spun by Brother Karl is about two and a hal-

Karl lets go of his sparring partner's trunk, causing it to fly across the concert grounds. Your hud recalculates. Seven minutes.

In addition to where you go next, you also face the dilemma of your date's group com channel. You could hop on and speak up right now, to warn Autumn about the creature's poisonous decay and that the new ones at your location are illusions. You keep quiet about your access, and gain a new tool to spy on both Lady Mercury and your various rivals for her affection. You are pretty confident that her helmet is airtight.

How do you proceed?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2024, 01:06:49 am »

Oof, that's a tough one. Keeping tabs on our wife is highly valuable, but if the sirens don't trust our helmet to keep out the gas I don't either. We should probably reveal ourselves and let her know that the three newcomers are fake and the beasts dissolve into toxic fumes when they die. Something so bad our siren didn't want us in it even though our helmet is sealed.

The other obvious advantage is that we can coordinate easier this way. Also let her know we're three minutes out and will pick her up to go after the last creature.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2024, 01:19:41 am »

+1 to the above.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2024, 01:40:11 am »

+1 to the above from we as well.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2024, 09:56:06 pm »

Oof, that's a tough one. Keeping tabs on our wife is highly valuable, but if the sirens don't trust our helmet to keep out the gas I don't either. We should probably reveal ourselves and let her know that the three newcomers are fake and the beasts dissolve into toxic fumes when they die. Something so bad our siren didn't want us in it even though our helmet is sealed.

The other obvious advantage is that we can coordinate easier this way. Also let her know we're three minutes out and will pick her up to go after the last creature.

You switch back to the noisy group chat, wait for a lull in the conversation, and then speak up.

"Lady Mercury, the three new monsters are Chrono-Siren illusions. We are clearing civilians to land the shuttle."

"Huh?"

"We have an interloper on the coms! Sabre, can you triangulate?"

"Standby for that..."

"No need guys. That's governor Conrad. I let on the network to borrow my nanites. I copy governor."

"Very good. I'll swing by to grab you once I get on the shuttle. ETA 3 minutes. Then we can go after the straggler. If the one you are fighting drops dead before then, stand clear. The Chrono-Sirens said mine began to rapidly decompose into toxic gas."

"Understood. This motherfucker is as good as toast. I'm just herding it away from civilians until the plasma puts it down. No terrandamned idea how long that will take."

Time passes slowly. The idle banter on on Autumn's group channel stops with the governor on coms. About 25 seconds in, you see the creature Lady Mercury was fighting collapse to the ground. The coms flare up again as she speaks. "Alright, mine's nice and crispy. I'm going to take your advice, guv, and move away. Heading in your direction. Lets see if I can beat the shuttle."

When the shuttle finally lands, you find your date already on board, smuggly fiddling with her jump pack. You and Beatriz climb on, and you order the pilot to run down the last elephant mole. The shuttle arrives quickly, and you assess the situation.

A trail of blood flows in the monster's wake, as it is missing both its trunk and several large chunks from its flank. Shelly and Daisy fight the beast in tandem, the former using an energy whip from Autumn's armory, and the latter some sort of energy bladed boomerang. They keep the beast off balance with illusions and tandem attacks at transhuman speeds while chipping away at it with their rather ill-suited weapons.

"Those are your Chrono-Siren's with my gear, right? Your date asks, "I'm usually with my Golden Elk who can see through illusions, so I don't usually run that filter on my hud."

"Yeah."

Beatriz chuckles, and allows her own disguise to fall away. "Ya should get dat shit on your everyday glasses if you are gun date my boss. Fucker usually has at least one of my sisters fawning o'r him."

The Chrono-Siren extends her hand toward the beast as the three of you step off the shuttle, locking it into slow motion. "Now, its been a few centuries since I was but a mortal a'dating, but if ta memory serves, it is propper ta give the lady ta Coup de Grace, no?"

With her free hand, Beatriz waves her sisters off the target, and pats Lady Mercury on the back. The illusionary people surrounding the mole creature vanish, offering Autumn a clear shot.

You date proceeds to spend about 40 seconds emptying her plasma tank into the helpless monster, until naught but ash is left. She then flips her visor open, and makes a dramatic show of taking a deep breath. "Ahhhh... Nothing left to decay into poison. Love the fucking smell of plasma-char!"

She then taps on her wrist interface a few times. "Brother Karl had to run off in the other direction to confirm his kill, but the transhuman wet blanket moves fast. He'll be at our position within two minutes. Not enough time to get the armor off and do anything fun. Bummer."

---

The date continues, although not exactly as you had planned. The Silver Anchors arrive from orbit within fifteen minutes, and take charge of the cleanup operation. The shuttle and its occupants return to their original position, hovering a few feet in front of Ms. Marlowe's platform. The Bardic priestess plays a long mournful horn solo, devoid of magical frill aside from volume amplification, while you and Autumn enjoy both the show and a bottle of your date's favorite cheap synthetic wine. Daisy and Beatriz pull a thirty minute shift on the ground, disguised as you and Autumn to make a show of helping with the cleanup. They keep respectful distance from each other, aware of the courtship protocol you are following.

As the sun begins to set, you consider both the events of the day and the company you kept. The Protocol allows you to propose marriage anytime before the end of your fourth date. Perhaps now is the time? Is there anything you want to talk with Autumn about, either on the shuttle roof or in the few moments you have between the defeat of the final monster and the return of your chaperone?

---

The investigation into the attack is somewhat rushed, as your best biologist Elke is preparing to leave the system with the bulk of your Chrono-Sirens. Still, she has time to give a brief report. According to your half sister, the creatures were clearly bio-weapons designed to kill and destroy, as they lacked many things important for long term survival: such as a reproductive system or even an entirely functional digestive tract. Their genetic sequence doesn't match the fauna of Lush Temple Zone or old Terra, but does have some slight similarities to the organic parts of the creatures found around the guilded temple.

Elke notes that she couldn't recognize the fingerprint of any gene-editing technology in the monster's DNA, and she is familiar with all such technology commonly used in confederation space and by the alien races found in this corner of the galactic frontier. This leads her to conclude that the monsters were most likely spawned via supernatural means by an entity affiliated with one of the many temples on the planet.

---

Twelve hours after the report is filed, the Solo flies a safe distance from the planet, and jumps away on its scrying mission. You are now isolated, with only three Chrono-Sirens and a planet and starship worth of relative strangers to keep you company. You have about one month of living in a cramped officer's quarters with the three Chrono-Sirens who remained behind before your planet side accommodations are ready to live in. The Solo will return in about two to four months. Four months is also about the earliest you could possibly expect reinforcements from your old criminal empire to arrive.

How do you proceed? The game will likely skip a good deal of time until something interesting happens if you don't have much planned in the short term.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2024, 10:47:24 pm »

Could this have been done by the Guilded Temple deity? Hopefully the scrying will shed some light on why we were attacked.

Proposing directly after the first date seems premature.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 02:55:51 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2024, 01:24:12 am »

+1 We should probably wait a bit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2024, 01:32:55 am »

I don't know if it would be premature as both are clearly seeing this more as a political marriage than anything, not that there isn't sexual tension or a bit of endearment but...

Maybe on the second date? we got test the waters somehow right now, make a joke/ask how long could they talk anything more suggestive without Karl becoming insane or yelling for us to just propose already

Or maybe karl or herself would say how many dates would be needed to avoid any socialite unpleasantry (I dunno if this word exist), She looked like she likes straightfowardness so maybe delaying the marriage would piss her hornyass

I think the best moment to propose would be right after a fight, and then she would be trully falling for us :v next date with or without the proposal right now we end it hunting a metallic creature on the tin biome too close to our colonists
------

Maybe the culprit was some of the other dome-colonies that were already on the planet, we didn't contacted then until now, some may see this as a threat, we need to start dialoging with them, know who they are, who they worship and see which ones we assimilate through diplomacy, eliminate or let them be as a friendly independent resort, also they may know about the domes that don't have comunication means, I doubt they didn't talked nor formed friendships and mild rivalries with each other

------------
Lady Autumn is a fighter, horny and reckless, every women of this colony is making the sirens happy and proud, I bet that after today this marriage is approved and desired by the sirens too now.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2024, 02:11:57 am »

Could this have been done by the Guilded Temple deity? Hopefully the scrying will shed some light on why we were attacked.
I don't think anything's off the table, but if it were the Guilded Temple deity I'd expect more than "slight similarities" to the fauna surrounding it. More likely it's a temple we haven't surveyed yet; this planet is supposed to be filled with the things, right?

On that note... I hope not every single temple is filled with loot that summons calamity when stolen. There's no way we'd be able to guard them all, so it'd just become the planet of permanent judgement day.

+1 We should probably wait a bit.
Agreed. Lady Mercury would probably be fine with it, but we should genuinely try to get to know her better, and more dates would probably make us look better to polite society.

...this couldn't have been divine judgement from a deity who's offended by Old Terran dating protocols, could it?

Maybe the culprit was some of the other dome-colonies that were already on the planet, we didn't contacted then until now, some may see this as a threat, we need to start dialoging with them, know who they are, who they worship and see which ones we assimilate through diplomacy, eliminate or let them be as a friendly independent resort, also they may know about the domes that don't have comunication means, I doubt they didn't talked nor formed friendships and mild rivalries with each other
Plausible, but if there's a cabal of sorcerers sending alligator moles after us they're vastly underestimating how hard we're going to be to dislodge.

As for talking, we should ask if she always rushes in like that. It'll probably be relevant for the future.

Otherwise, let's get to work on our other dates. If we have one date a month and go for the full four, we'll have a four month courtship. That should be nice and dignified by frontier standards while matching our panicked haste in getting political connections and heirs in order.

Maybe an expedition? We could explore some uncharted areas, ideally with her crew. Especially if we can bring the muse along for temple insight.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2024, 11:28:16 am »

As for talking, we should ask if she always rushes in like that. It'll probably be relevant for the future.

Otherwise, let's get to work on our other dates. If we have one date a month and go for the full four, we'll have a four month courtship. That should be nice and dignified by frontier standards while matching our panicked haste in getting political connections and heirs in order.

Maybe an expedition? We could explore some uncharted areas, ideally with her crew. Especially if we can bring the muse along for temple insight.
+1. An expedition sounds like it would suit her.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2024, 12:39:07 pm »

While not in the original suggestion list, a "scenic walk through the countryside to ivew landmarks" sounds like a classic date idea. Of course, this being a freshly colonised world, and the couple being... us, we probably don't have to try hard to find some excitement.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2024, 02:10:23 am »

+1

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2024, 07:07:26 pm »

+1

As the date winds down, you decide to ask the potentially difficult question that has been eating at your mind. "So, are you always the sort to rush headlong into danger?"

Autumn briefly considers your quarry before answering. "Kind of. In my group it is sort of the dynamic. I advocate for the risky big glory plays, while Sabre and the Golden Elk try to talk me down. For the future, even if I whip out my armory and start gearing up, it is not too late to talk me out of it if you put in the effort, and I wont hold it against you. I do appreciate you letting off the leash today, quite the romantic gesture actually. Thanks."

She grins, and playfully punches you on the shoulder.

---

The next month moves at a crawl. Little of note happens in the wider colony, but at least the situation improves within your temporary quarters. After a bit of complaining, Sister Daisy uses her illusion magic to mask the smell of her rotting food, and Sister Shelly does the same to cover up the sound of the beatings she lays onto Beatriz. Beatriz herself seems to have improved her behavior towards you quite a bit since you fought alongside her agaisnt the Elephant Moles; The predatory looks she gives you are somewhat less frequent. She also spends quite a bit of time away from the Trumpet when left to her own devices, which is better for everyone.

To kill time, you take a few shifts on the bridge, commanding the Trumpet of Revelation. Although you don't make any true friends of the hardened Judgement Department employees, you do learn names and who best knows what to the point where you would be fairly comfortable commanding the cruiser in battle or other stressful situations.

Two solar days before you are scheduled to move into your new quarters planetside, you are briefed on some of the previous month's happenings.

Chief engineer Straton's group has the Bambi Temple district about 1/5th mapped out. Progress has stalled has he and his team are currently in cyrostasis.

Lady Mercury's group has the Lush Temple district about half mapped out. They have made an interesting discovery; About 5 kilometers from the temple, directly opposite of your settlement, is a strange system of caves and ravines. The walls are covered by what appears to be a mega-colony of strange and friendly beetle-like eusocial creatures, who produce a translucent purple rock candy-like substance that tastes of honey and lavender. The explorers were able to map out about a kilometer and a half of tunnels. There is more to explore, but after a point the floor is covered with dangerous fast running water, which renders deeper penatration unsafe.

Chippy's group of aliens have finished their survey of the Guilded Temple District. They have found one interesting feature aside from the temple: a 'clearing' in the deepest part of the woods, covered by the canopy but devoid of root, branch, or trunk. The clearing seems to be a perfect pentagon in shape, with each corner marked by a large brass structure reminiscent of a totem pole from old Terra, each decorated with the faces of various alien beasts. In the center of the clearing is a single anvil made from some strange metal; an alloy consisting mostly of Iron that every scanner Chippy used have thus far refused to identify.

There was another Elephant Mole attack, this one far more costly than the last. The creatures seem to have targeted your half sister Lina and her Enforcers. They emerged while most of the troops were unarmed doing jogging drills, and positioned themselves so as to cut the enforcers off from their armory. To make matters worse, the attack happened while the Trumpet of Revelation's coms systems were offline for a few minutes for regularly scheduled matienence. It took the better part of an hour for the Silver Anchors to respond and put down the monsters, by which point your enforcers had suffered over three quarters of their number in fatal causalities, and Lina herself was brutally mauled. The inexperienced tank crews were unable to affix their modules and deploy in time to help. Your sister will live, but is expected to be out of action for at least a few months while new limbs are vat-grown for her.

Two alien warships jumped into the system. They stuck to the outer fringes of the star's gravitational influence, ignored most hails, and left after about a solar week. They had one brief conversation with the crew of the Trumpet of Revelation, in which they claimed to be a routine patrol but otherwise refused to identify themselves. Translation software suggests that the visitors were speaking Krakgar, a language belonging to an alien race of the same name. Officially little is known about the Krakgar aside from the fact that they are active in this part of the frontier. Jasper pulls up a 50 year old report that speculates the Krakgar have the strength equivalent to a minor human civilization of a half dozen developed star systems, but that they are spread out over a much larger area hiding in floating communities beneath the upper atmosphere of various Jovian planets.

Ironically, you think you probably know more about the Krakgar than the government. They make themselves scarce because they fear the much more powerful confederation, but they do conduct busniess with pirates and smugglers from time to time. Your organization rarely conducted business in this part of the galactic frontier, and you would have delegated such dealings to Ol' Crablegs, your Lieutenant in charge of handling non-human clients, but it is likely your business database has some information on the Krakgar. It is a shame that said database is located aboard the currently absent Solo.

---

You are quite relieved when the time finally comes to move into your new headquarters. The building is nowhere near complete, but the basement is. Your eventual grand apartment is to be on the top floor, but for now you are moved into a fancy basement suite intended for visiting dignitaries, important underlings, and your future adult children. You have a private bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and dining hall, as well as a large sitting room with one wall made of glass facing out to the bottom of an open pit; Eventually this glass wall will be the window to the bottom of a fountain-pond, giving its inhabitants a nice view of whatever decorations or aquatic life you choose to stock it with. For now, your three remaining Chrono-Sirens set up shop in this common space so that they are close enough to take your requests and serve as your bodyguards. You wind up spending most of your day in the bedroom, as it is the only part of your apartment insulated against the sound and vibrations of the construction happening above you.

---

Sitting in your new room, you ponder what you should do for your next date with Lady Mercury. You've narrowed it down to an expedition of some sort, and you have a few options, the most obvious of which is to simply join her group as they continue to explore the nearby woods of the Lush Temple district. You could also pull them off that duty for the afternoon, and pick up where your currently frozen engineers left off in the Terran forest.

If you are feeling a bit more daring, you could always explore a temple instead. As far as you know, nobody has dared enter the abandoned alien houses of worship at the center of the Lush or Guilded districts. There are also a few dozen temples that don't support biomes themselves, but are close enough to the terraforming machine so as to have enough atmospheric pressure to make visitation safe. You suppose you could call up to the bridge of the Trumpet, and request the coordinates for a temple of almost any theme of your choosing.

How do you proceed?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2024, 11:08:43 pm »

Sorcerer theory is sounding more likely. That second mole attack seems like it was not only planned, but planned by someone with a bizarre amount of information from the inside or the supernatural.

Alternatively, there might just be an entire subterranean civilization down there or something. Either way, we should probably assume we're currently under siege and will experience routine mole attacks.

Since Lina is down, we'll probably need to start training and positioning guards (and tanks) in every inhabited district. Ideally we'd station some Silver Anchors, but depending on how long it takes to deploy from the ship versus move around on the ground, that might actually slow our response time. Plus... if whoever (or whatever) is doing this can respond to jogging routines and scheduled maintenance, keeping our elites in reserve and able to deploy anywhere might be the best way to hamper our foe's ability to act.

I want to take Lady Mercury's crew to explore Lush District's temple but someone would almost certainly touch or steal something they shouldn't. I think I'm leaning towards doing it anyway.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2024, 11:18:23 pm »

We may want to consider seeking divine protection with an existing deity, or fast-tracking the recovery of the Hollywood Scrolls so that we can found our own religion and receive its aid. For now, +1 to posting guards and tanks in all districts.

Not sure about where the expedition should take place.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9