Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Penal Mage Colony (7/7): Turn 0, Turtles all the way down.  (Read 6226 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Penal Mage Colony (7/7): Turn 0, Turtles all the way down.
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2016, 02:42:50 pm »

"Calm down, fire lady. Keep the heat for where we are heading."
Begin meditating to attract spirits
[15]
You trip over a rock as you follow the crowd.
Keep the rock! Make it our mascot!
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2016, 02:54:36 pm »

Mordenor steps out and talks to a gargoyle:

"Hey! Stupendous work you are doing right here, I can see. As your job is to take care of us, wouldn't you mind helping me to go down?"

Convince the gargoyle to fly me down.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2016, 03:39:55 pm »

"Lord Jadesea, I'm afraid that my specialties lie in static arrays and item crafting so the likelihood of me making it down unharmed is rather minimal. I would very much like to help you with your projects, but I'll need to be intact for that so a bit of aid would be much appreciated."

Ask Jadesea for his aid in getting down the pit unharmed.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2016, 03:43:51 pm »

"Are you kidding me."

Thomas is basically petrified with fear.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2016, 05:02:15 pm »

Me Grab Thomas and Jump Down because This look Fun!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2016, 05:42:08 am »

Climb down the pit

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2016, 07:40:26 pm »

"Calm down, fire lady. Keep the heat for where we are heading."
Begin meditating to attract spirits
[15]
You trip over a rock as you follow the crowd.
Keep the rock! Make it our mascot!
I agree. It's a 15/20 rock. It must be important.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2016, 11:07:23 pm »

Take the rock with me

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2016, 06:31:22 am »

Take the rock with me
[5]
You attempt to rewrite history so that instead of ignoring the rock earlier, you picked it up. Nothing seems to happen, though you notice Jadesea glaring at you with disapproval.
Jump down the pit, attempting to flare up just at the end to soften the fall.
[19]
Who needs those snobby air elementals! Real mages fly with fire! You rocket down the vertical tunnel, your magnificent glow lightning it up in a truly artistic display of pyrotechnics.
"Fear is for people who aren't me!"
Jump down from ledge to ledge using the combined agility of an otter and a weasel.
[1]
You scrabble uselessly at the edges of the shaft, attempting to seek purchase on its perfectly smooth and ledgeless surface. Worse, your efforts cause you to shoot around wildly, bouncing against the edges of the pit all the way down. The sickening crunch of bone sends you into hazy pain-filled daze, which you are forcefully brought out of as space weeps purple ivory. You feel you're mind beginning to crumple, and then you're through, having survived a few moments at the edge of a spatial tear, though it seemed so much longer.

[Gained Minor Spatial Horror Trauma]
[Your arm is broken]
[You have bruises over your entire body]

Mordenor steps out and talks to a gargoyle:

"Hey! Stupendous work you are doing right here, I can see. As your job is to take care of us, wouldn't you mind helping me to go down?"

Convince the gargoyle to fly me down.
[18]
The gargoyle rumbles something abashedly that you don't quite catch, then picks you up, diving into the pit. While not exactly gentle, you're having a far smoother ride than the otterweasel, whose misfortune you take a moment to chuckle at as you speed past the spatial tear it's stuck inside.

Your keen perception notices that you don't seem to moving straight down, or at least not moving entirely through boring vanilla euclidean space. The pit curves through some of the local dimensions, inevitable heading to some sort of local dimensional nadir, intriguing!

[Gained Gargoyle sweetheart]
"Lord Jadesea, I'm afraid that my specialties lie in static arrays and item crafting so the likelihood of me making it down unharmed is rather minimal. I would very much like to help you with your projects, but I'll need to be intact for that so a bit of aid would be much appreciated."

Ask Jadesea for his aid in getting down the pit unharmed.
[8]
Jadesea grins evilly, then punts you into the hole, massive green foot shining with rainbow lightning. You realize you're screaming when you feel your throat becoming raw. Your eyes see an insane kaleidoscope of writhing smells as your tongue tastes the rainbow.

Your loyal forge hurriedly scuttles after you, its spider legs easily clinging to the side of the shaft.

You eventually come to facedown on the ground, groaning, but otherwise not that much worse for wear.
"Are you kidding me."

Thomas is basically petrified with fear.
You freeze in place. This is crazy! That golem is crazy! Everyone is crazy!

Before one of the gargoyles can give you some 'encouragement', the kindhearted(?) ogre grabs you and jumps into the pit. Fuuu-
Me Grab Thomas and Jump Down because This look Fun!
[11]
Fun! You grab the little funny man, then jump into the big hole! Little guy scream in joy! You try to let him go but, he cling tightly, like little barnacle thing! You must have made a new friend! Or perhaps you are becoming a whale, just like you always dreamed of!

Whee! Falling is fun!
Climb down the pit
[10]
Just like weasalotter thing-thing before you, you fail to find any handholds, sliding down the hole. Fortunately, you are clever-clever and skilled-skilled, so you merely enter freefall rather than bouncing around like a marble. Gnoll superiority has been proven once more!

You're all in freefall just long enough for it to become monotonous, when suddenly the walls disappear, and you're falling into the open sky. A audible twang echoes across the plain as gravity realizes you're falling the wrong way. You hang motionless in the air for one precious moment, gods in heaven, before gravity reasserts itself, pulling you into a fast landing with the increasingly hard and unforgiving looking ground.

[2]

Despite Jadesea's dubious assurances, it seems clear to anyone with an rudimentary idea of how physics works that those colonists are falling way too fast and are soon going to squish against the ground in a giant fleshy mess.

Then Pyrriete's fire blooms outwards like a flower, slowing down not only her own descent, but creating a massive updraft of hot air that preserves the lives of most of the colonists. Miraculously, there's only some scrapes, bruises, light singing and a couple of broken bones. The colonists are beginning to look at the fire elemental with eyes filled with reverence

[61 injured colonists]
[Pyrriete has gained minor cult!]

As all the mages finally safely stand on a solid surface again, though some more battered than others, they begin to take in their surroundings. Above, the sky is inky black, ghostly light shining from the gigantic turtles that sometimes swim overhead providing the only ambient illumination. By the turtlelight you make out faint distortions in the air from which the turtles sometimes emerge or disappear into.

Around you seems to be endless scrubland, scarce patches of transparent grass growing here and there in the fertile, yet strangely barren, loess. You sometimes notice massive shadows lumbering across the ground just beyond the range of your sight, the vibrations they send through the ground the best proof of their realness.

The air tingles with wild magic. A biting wind howls hungrily.

Then Jadesea shoots out the hole, riding on a bolt of bucking lightning, laughing wildly as the gargoyles follow behind him, carrying what supplies of the expedition that hadn't been forced into backpacks on the colonists.

As the last one exits, the hole gives a mighty crack, sealing up in a single fluid gulping motion.

"Welcome colonists, to the hollow center of the earth, your new home! You may have heard of it. Space isn't quite right here, which is part of the reason most teleportation hops off the edge of this place as a shortcut on the way to their destination. Some of the more useless teleporters end up here instead. In fact, we just went through something like that, except much less lethal than that normally is! It's much worse when you're inside though. You'd have to be a spatial magic archmage to get out of this teleport trap instead of just making things worse, which the Undying Court made sure none of you mages are. Needless to say, it's an even worse idea to mess with time here than with space."

Jadesea pauses here, raking a glare over the assembled mages. Gerod whimpers in pain from broken bones.

"This place is also filled to the brim with ravenous titan tortoises, strangely successful wolfpacks, banished demons, sealed ancient evils and so on, so I strongly recommend not trying to escape the colony. Earlier mapping expeditions have failed, since apparently terrain changes when you aren't keeping an eye on it, incidentally the reason we brought the gargoyles along, which is why we're going to be setting up camp right here. It's a prime metaphysical location to receive supplies and new prisoners.

That'll be all. Get to work you slackers!"

The gargoyles have taken up sentry positions on large boulders that they dragged from a nearby hill, encircling the camp of hastily set up tents. Jadesea is deadset on having the colonists build some fortifications, and seems to be leaving the mages largely alone for now. You may take two Major Actions and a reasonable amount of minor actions. Please clearly mark your major actions, as they will be processed at the end of turn 1.

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Colony (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:09:29 am by Demonic Spoon »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2016, 08:26:08 am »

These are two major actions:

Mordenor will use his Fleshmancy skill to help heal the injured people, and use that opportunity to start forming a small cult.

Then, Mordenor will engage in a ritual to summon a small servant, an Imp.

Spoiler: Spell (click to show/hide)

Questions for the GM:
1) Is this the way we are supposed to do spells? Is everything right?
2) What does the [Gained Gargoyle sweetheart] mean? Can I still order the Gargoyle around?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 08:41:19 am »

Questions for the GM:
1) Is this the way we are supposed to do spells? Is everything right?
It seems mostly fine, though I'll note that the power source would be blood in this case, since that's what you're paying the Demon Lords in exchange for the imp. Also please write somewhere that these are Major Actions (as they seem to be)
2) What does the [Gained Gargoyle sweetheart] mean? Can I still order the Gargoyle around?
The Gargoyle now has a crush on you. Be careful that it does not become a literal crush.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:45:53 am by Demonic Spoon »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2016, 08:50:15 am »

I see. Everything has been corrected in that post now.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2016, 08:57:11 am »

Thomas' eyes stayed closed for the moment. Very tightly shut. Then he opened his eyes.

"I live! I LIVE!" Thomas breathed deeply for a moment, then turned to Blorgath. "I'm not sure if I should thank you or slap you." Thomas then took note of precisely what Blorgath was. "thank you thank you." Thomas quickly backed away from Blorgath.

After a minute or so of contemplation, Thomas realized he had no intention of staying in a tent.

Thomas then spent another minute thinking of his fellow mages, of which, most were not human. Actually, only one of the mages other than him was human, and that was Vlad.
Thomas nodded to himself. He knew what he could do in lieu of having to sleep in a tent.

Major Action: Thomas speaks to the insubordinate channelers, giving them a preposition: if they help him with a pair of spells, they'll get access to some better housing as a result of said spells. If at least 8 of them agree, Thomas then gets to work with them, finding a somewhat empty space not near the camp's borders and casting a spell with them:
Spoiler: See The Details (click to show/hide)

Some time afterwards, Thomas and the channelers get to work on "refining" the tree.

Major Action: Assuming the tree is sufficiently sized and sufficiently stable, and assuming it exists, Thomas and the channelers(and Vlad, if he wants to) refine the tree into an apartment building.
Spoiler: Spell Details (click to show/hide)

Conditional Major Action:(if the second major action is not preformed for some reason, do this) Thomas searches the area for any magically valuable plants.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 09:21:37 am »

Strength: 1 or 2(it's just a tree)
Scale: whatever number is needed for an apartment sized tree
Stability: 3. It's going to be a long-lasting tree.
Sophistication: 0. It's just a tree.
Higher strength would give you a tougher tree, which would then be less likely to collapse under its own weight when you grow it super big. Metamagic should handle it fine in this case though, just mentioning that to give a better understanding of the system.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2016, 01:42:23 pm »

Minor: gather one stick per tree from Any Near by trees.
Minor: Find out who the strongest being in the Colony is.
Major: MAGIC!
Spoiler: MAGIC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:47:56 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5