Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Roll to Rebuild - Day 3 [9/10]  (Read 8657 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Rebuild - Day 2 [9/10]
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2021, 05:34:59 am »

Since they haven't seen me yet I'll take this time to determine which of the two weapons I carry is the better one, then try to get the attention of one or two of the zombies attention and kill them it away from the others, if I can't do that and get the attention of more instead to lead them away, continue killing or leading away until the building's empty, then loot the corpses if there are any and look around the building.

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2021, 12:50:03 pm »

Pat continues to follow the weird costume guy it isn't until halfway threw the trip Pat starts thinking of WHY he is following this fellow maybe its cause they allure a aura of confidence that compels Pat to follow him, maybe its cause he is attracted to the prospect of looting a bank and all the riches inside, it may even be that Pat subconsciously feels more comfortable sticking around with oddballs. Pat gives a small chuckle. Regardless of reasoning Pat continues to follow the weird costume guy to the destination.

Continue awkwardly following weird costume guy from a meaningful distance scavenge around the bank assuming he clears it out run away back to the farmhouse in the most cowardly way possible if he should perish.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 07:10:26 pm by Fluffe9911 »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Rebuild - Day 1 [9/10]
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2021, 02:20:43 pm »

In addition to a newfound sense of comradery in shared work, another shared feelings comes between the two of them. It's the lingering sense that often falls upon the most industrious members of a group, the inkling that the two of them are putting in more effort and focus to the long term survival of the whole group than the others. Both of their plans thus far have been meticulous and serious, while other people seem to be content going on "adventures" or engaging in personal side-projects...

It was a feeling Caroline was all too familiar with. This was part of the reason why she got into sports in the first place. Sure there were the star players and celebrities, but everyone had a part to play and they all played it well, unlike in other groups. Without the rest of team, the stars would have went nowhere.

The next day came and there was more work to be done. As much as Caroline wanted to work on the watchtower and create a flat platform she could stand on (rather than risk slipping off the slanted roof), she knew that she didn't have the materials or tools for it. The forest was filled with wood, but we needed axes, saws, nails and hammers in order to make proper use of it.

The people in the countryside have always been a more self-sufficient lot. Repairs need to be done frequently and so most folk carry the required tools. Search the barn for the above supplies and if they aren't found, search the neighbors houses and farms. If those also give zilch, then try to find either a hardware store or a farming goods store. It would be crazy to imagine a rural town without one.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 03:23:19 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2021, 12:13:52 am »

(( OOC:  I typically prefer 3rd person responses, but it's been looking good altogether so far anyway! ))

It was a known and true fact that if you wound up doing dirty work outside, you better damn well be wearing something on your forehead. Sweat builds up, trails down, gets in your eyes; nasty stuff. You do NOT want to reach up and wipe it, especially not when cleaning up animal droppings. So, Sam gets a bandana out of his back pocket and ties it securely around his brow before getting too far into the job. He wanted to do away with the vest, too, but respect for his erstwhile co-worker stopped that cold.

After the barn job is done, Sam makes a new note on the bulletin board: "Barn cleaned up - still need water - no freezer = NO COWS/PIGS! need power or smoke the meat, or waste it in a day :( - ~Sam"

And for good measure, because the markers are there, he draws a little stick figure of two spotted cows side by side, with a clock and arrow sign and '1 day' written between them. The cow the arrow points to has its eyes (and entire body) crossed with X'es, with little flies flitting about its rotting body.

Sam helps Caroline go search for tools (and also food & supplies) around the area. Having a flashlight, he might be useful there. Definitely hang on to the rusty shovel; he might need it soon. "Y'know, if we need wood," he starts, aiming to strike up conversation, "we can just break up some furniture in the house, no need to go get it raw. Though I guess you could whittle down some straight staves and lash 'em with baling wire, that'd be an okay platform. Farms gotta have wire; no tying hay bales up without it."

Still, he's nervous; he knows it'd be better to have at least one more person, and even a hunting rifle like Caroline's can be a liability at times. But he's happy to carry loot and keep an eye out if that's what it takes.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:16:04 am by Xvareon »

Machiavelli Corleone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2021, 03:15:14 am »

Day 3
-Sunny-

Find a regular academy this time, and take stock of their inventory.  Then take all weapons, fishing gear, cooking gear, and camping gear (except for tents) that I can find in the store.  Then find a different gas station and, if it’s not inhabited, loot it’s food.
(((Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I meant find an academy as in academy camping store.)))

[2] Calvin can judge that one burnt out husk of a building once was some sort of fishing, outdoors store based on the charred remains of advertisements clinging to the exterior walls. The exact specifications of what this store sold can not be discerned as it clearly had been burned a while ago, leaving only heaps of ash and exposed foundations.

[4] "Reliant" Gas Station mostly lives up to its name. The store is clear of inhabitants, living or dead, though there are two burned bodies sprawled out around the shrapnel debris of a gas pump that burst at some point in the past. The inside is messy and ransacked, but there are a few tidbits left, and luckily it is hyper-preserved junk food that never goes bad: an individually wrapped donut here, a bottle of warm orange soda there, a bag of cheese flavored chips around the corner, and so on. By the time Calvin has finished clearing the store, he has enough snacks to feed himself for a few days, or to feed a few others.

+3 Rations

[Academy Camping? Can not say I have heard of it.]

I appreciate the help Willow.” Amon smiles.

I go on a scavenging mission with the hopes of finding lab materials and rations. I try to avoid any obviously dangerous areas and use my hearing to see if there are any zombies in a building.

After this, If I have the time, I try to make my living conditions better by cleaning and etc. Also, I put a sign on where my lab is so people know where it is. Plus, It’s way more convenient.

”You’re welcome, I should probably go with you and try finding food and water for the stockpile, I don’t think we’ll find lab equipment out in the forest, if we do happen on an abandoned lab, we could check it”
Go with Chris, scavenge for food and water, look for any buildings, try listening for zombies so we can avoid them, try finding something we could use as weapons
((If this is too much, tell me, you mention each turn taking a day))

[6] Chris and Willow head off to find laboratory equipment. The best idea they have is that the community college could store some leftover inventory, since it would have been too bulky and unwieldly to take by anyone fleeing, or by scavengers. They enter the school, staying away from the occasionally stumbling zombie. Most of the Agricultural Sciences building is cleared out, stripped to dusty desks and broken windows. However, there is a thick metal door labeled "EQUIPMENT - AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY". Unfortunately it is shut behind the protection of triple padlocks, although the presence of these padlocks indicates that no one has managed to break in so far.

[1] The search for rations brings them to the school cafeteria. The tables and restaurants look barren at first glance, but they find a half-full vending machine. As they inspect the machine for ways of carefully retrieving the contents, a group of a dozen unforeseen zombies shamble out of a nearby restroom hallway towards them. They escape outside, but Chris trips down a small set of stairs and sprains his ankle. This injury necessitates their departure from the campus.

[5] On their way back to The Farmhouse, Willow keeps her eyes out for weapons and ruffles through the inside of a crashed car, it's former owner having been ejected out with the window and onto the asphalt with such force that he never had the chance to become reanimated. Underneath some bloody pillows she locates a golf bag with 3 Irons, a putter and 23 golf balls.

[5-1] Back at base, Chris cleans out his laboratory area in the basement, pushing through the pain in his lower leg to wipe up the area with rags, removing dust, dirt and cobwebs. The area ends up being pretty clean and sanitary by the end. To finish things off, he uses a whiteboard marker to label the door down to the basement "LABRATORY".

[@Naturegirl: That was a fine number of actions. Anything that can reasonably be accomplished over the course of a day should work. As you can see by these responses, the flipside is that the more actions you take, the more risky rolls follow, and bad results can compound.]

making a note of the route conditions on his map, Alex finished his journey to the supermarket. His first goal upon reaching it was to clear out the zombies that were present.

[2] Alex makes a mental note to remember the treacherous conditions on the route between The Farmhouse and the Crazy Chicken supermarket before continuing onwards. He has to rough it through some roadside wreckage, a pile-up of cars that must have caused a fire due to the all the burnt ash coating the vehicles.

Further down the road as the sun starts to go down, Alex spots the Crazy Chicken Supermarket sign, featuring a squawking, cross-eyed fowl. The last deal they ever advertised looks to be a "Buy 2, Get 1 Free Orange Juice". Evading a handful of zombies in the parking lot, Alex finds the inside of the supermarket...completely bare. It resembles supermarkets that had been abandoned for years: shelves falling on top of one another, missing pieces of floor, yellowed signs directing customers to products that no longer exist. The few remaining cans and boxes have been deprived of their contents or had rotted weeks ago. This supermarket must have been ransacked numerous times before Alex arrived.

[5] Dispatching the few zombies in the parking lot is as simple and sneaking behind them and then stabbing them through the back of the skull with a swift thrust of Alex's steel spear. One of them still had a half-pack of cigarettes in its breastpocket.

Since they haven't seen me yet I'll take this time to determine which of the two weapons I carry is the better one, then try to get the attention of one or two of the zombies attention and kill them it away from the others, if I can't do that and get the attention of more instead to lead them away, continue killing or leading away until the building's empty, then loot the corpses if there are any and look around the building.
Pat continues to follow the weird costume guy it isn't until halfway threw the trip Pat starts thinking of WHY he is following this fellow maybe its cause they allure a aura of confidence that compels Pat to follow him, maybe its cause he is attracted to the prospect of looting a bank and all the riches inside, it may even be that Pat subconsciously feels more comfortable sticking around with oddballs. Pat gives a small chuckle. Regardless of reasoning Pat continues to follow the weird costume guy to the destination.

Continue awkwardly following weird costume guy from a meaningful distance scavenge around the bank assuming he clears it out run away back to the farmhouse in the most cowardly way possible if he should perish.

Standing before the small bank, Zip-E-Zebra considers his personal arsenal. Between them, the Kukri Knife was easily the superior; it could go through a skull or hack of a limb with ease, while the Sickle could only put stop a zombie with a well-aimed decapitation. The Sickle's main form of damage would be through slicing and bleeding, something better suited against living foes.

[1+1] The mascot chucks a rock at the feet of one zombie, attempting to draw it alone to him. As the zombie turns to face him, it lets out a loud groan, attracting its brethren who generate noise themselves. Furthermore, one of the zombies breaks into a charge, revealing itself as a Sprinter. They're all stopped by the heavy metal front door of the building; a Thinker might have realized that pulling on the handle would be easier than trying to force the heavy door open with pure body weight, or it might realize it can slip through the broken glass windows located at the middle of the door. But these zombies lack the brainpower and are stuck by the obstacle, causing it to vibrate but not budge, the Sprinter frantically banging its fists on the surface.
So far, the tactic has resulted in a small pack of restless zombies close to one another.

In addition to a newfound sense of comradery in shared work, another shared feelings comes between the two of them. It's the lingering sense that often falls upon the most industrious members of a group, the inkling that the two of them are putting in more effort and focus to the long term survival of the whole group than the others. Both of their plans thus far have been meticulous and serious, while other people seem to be content going on "adventures" or engaging in personal side-projects...

It was a feeling Caroline was all too familiar with. This was part of the reason why she got into sports in the first place. Sure there were the star players and celebrities, but everyone had a part to play and they all played it well, unlike in other groups. Without the rest of team, the stars would have went nowhere.

The next day came and there was more work to be done. As much as Caroline wanted to work on the watchtower and create a flat platform she could stand on (rather than risk slipping off the slanted roof), she knew that she didn't have the materials or tools for it. The forest was filled with wood, but we needed axes, saws, nails and hammers in order to make proper use of it.

The people in the countryside have always been a more self-sufficient lot. Repairs need to be done frequently and so most folk carry the required tools. Search the barn for the above supplies and if they aren't found, search the neighbors houses and farms. If those also give zilch, then try to find either a hardware store or a farming goods store. It would be crazy to imagine a rural town without one.
(( OOC:  I typically prefer 3rd person responses, but it's been looking good altogether so far anyway! ))

It was a known and true fact that if you wound up doing dirty work outside, you better damn well be wearing something on your forehead. Sweat builds up, trails down, gets in your eyes; nasty stuff. You do NOT want to reach up and wipe it, especially not when cleaning up animal droppings. So, Sam gets a bandana out of his back pocket and ties it securely around his brow before getting too far into the job. He wanted to do away with the vest, too, but respect for his erstwhile co-worker stopped that cold.

After the barn job is done, Sam makes a new note on the bulletin board: "Barn cleaned up - still need water - no freezer = NO COWS/PIGS! need power or smoke the meat, or waste it in a day :( - ~Sam"

And for good measure, because the markers are there, he draws a little stick figure of two spotted cows side by side, with a clock and arrow sign and '1 day' written between them. The cow the arrow points to has its eyes (and entire body) crossed with X'es, with little flies flitting about its rotting body.

Sam helps Caroline go search for tools (and also food & supplies) around the area. Having a flashlight, he might be useful there. Definitely hang on to the rusty shovel; he might need it soon. "Y'know, if we need wood," he starts, aiming to strike up conversation, "we can just break up some furniture in the house, no need to go get it raw. Though I guess you could whittle down some straight staves and lash 'em with baling wire, that'd be an okay platform. Farms gotta have wire; no tying hay bales up without it."

Still, he's nervous; he knows it'd be better to have at least one more person, and even a hunting rifle like Caroline's can be a liability at times. But he's happy to carry loot and keep an eye out if that's what it takes.

[3] Sam finds that his bandana has been shorn in half, probably at some point during his escape from back home. He's able to use it to wipe his forehead, but it no longer works as an intended clothing item.
After making some additions to the Bulletin Board, Sam joins Caroline in her quest for tools. The barn has already been searched for anything of use, so eyes are on the neighborhood.

[1] Caroline and Sam move from decrepit house to decrepit house, keeping an eye out for anything of use, especially tools. As they cross the street, a gunshot rings out and the two of them rush for cover behind a minivan. "Damn! Youse all come here to ruin my fuckin day yeah?!" The car is struck by a few more bullets, shattering windows and setting off the blaring alarm. Once the shooting stops and they hear the sound of their assailant running, the duo flee the neighborhood, as soon it'll be overrun with zombies from all adjacent areas.

[2] "Tim's Hardware Store" is full of the undead, at least twenty, and from their vantage point looks pretty cleared out anyways, as if multiple groups had already loaded up from the store before.
Upon their inglorious return, Walter Briggsby informs the two of them that  "Cattle Castle" is a rural goods store over in Blesgate but he reiterates that he would stay away from that town "unless absolutely necessary."

About an hour after the sun goes down, everyone's Walkie-Talkies buzzes. The voice on the other end is female and scratchy, like a life spent either chain smoking or death-metal screaming.

"This for anyone else in the Edinburg area: lay off. We've been seeing other people running around, doing whatever. Listen clearly, our territory is the westside of Edinburg. That's Mercado, the college, the neighborhood, the library and the baby store. Don't cross these areas unless you want to get shot, we are not people to be fucked with. We don't need help, we don't need Jesus or meditation or any other hippie bullshit. If you have guns, booze or bikes then we can talk about trading. But if not, just mind your damn business.

Respond to this in thirty seconds or I'll mark this down as a dead channel."

Everyone residing at The Farmhouse consumes a Ration from the Stockpile.
The Stockpile is empty. Personal Rations will begin to be consumed. Personal Rations may be added to the Stockpile.

Everyone else consumes a Personal Ration.

Spoiler: Stockpile (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Information (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Player Characters (click to show/hide)
I've noticed people working together in teams, that's good! I'm thinking about better ways to mechanically incorporate. Here are a few options:

A. Keep it as it is.
B. Two or more people working on the same task give +1 to the roll.
C. Two or more people working on the same task give +1 to the roll if at least one of them is skilled at it regarding their Occupation, Special Item or other Proficiency.
D. Each person working on a task gets their own roll.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Rebuild - Day 3 [9/10]
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2021, 03:40:51 am »

Hey Chris, maybe you can use this golf club as a crutch? I’ll go try and find some rope or vines to help with securing it to your leg. Wait, if only the ankle is hurt, maybe if I find things to tie it in place a lot to where it isn’t bent wrong? I’ll see if anything in this First Aid Kit helps before going and trying a thing that might not work, you should still have the golf club though for defense and maybe helping with support too
Willow gives Chris the Golf Putter
Willow uses the First Aid Kit to try helping Chris heal from his wounds. If this doesn’t take the entire day, she also goes out and looks for rations, ropes and vines, paying attention to what kinds of plants are growing well here for reference on what types of food to grow and when seeds will be ready

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2021, 07:07:17 am »

"Well shit, that didn't work."
Try to stab the zombies through the broken glass in the door until they're all dead, if that succeeds loot the corpses and bank, if it fails or seems to dangerous to do start looking inside some of the other local businesses for anything useful, and look at and inside the abandoned cars, there's bound to be a few around that can still run and I'm wanting to get a hold of one.
I've changed my mind!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 05:07:22 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2021, 12:22:25 pm »

Alex seems frustrated. Surely there was something worth salvaging in this supermarket! Maybe trade goods or luxuries like soaps and chemicals, or shopping carts to carry supplies!
Either way, he marks on his map that the site is empty, and checks his map for the next closest source of supplies to head on his way to.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 07:18:42 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2021, 02:14:31 pm »

i vote for b.  calvin attempts to find a machete.  then, he breaks into several houses and loots all the food and possibly useful stuff.  He is also very careful to stay away from rival gang territory.
Calvin also adds these things to the billboard:
  • garden
  • Farm animals
  • zombie repellant
  • inventions lab
  • wheelbarrow
  • Outer defenses
  • More secure base
  • find/dig well
  • Smoker
  • Pickup truck
  • Storage
  • Scrap items (for inventions)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 08:17:13 pm by BlackPaladin99 »
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2021, 07:57:55 pm »

Hey Chris, maybe you can use this golf club as a crutch? I’ll go try and find some rope or vines to help with securing it to your leg. Wait, if only the ankle is hurt, maybe if I find things to tie it in place a lot to where it isn’t bent wrong? I’ll see if anything in this First Aid Kit helps before going and trying a thing that might not work, you should still have the golf club though for defense and maybe helping with support too
Willow gives Chris the Golf Putter
Willow uses the First Aid Kit to try helping Chris heal from his wounds. If this doesn’t take the entire day, she also goes out and looks for rations, ropes and vines, paying attention to what kinds of plants are growing well here for reference on what types of food to grow and when seeds will be ready

Thank you, I appreciate it!

I go outside and look for more lab supplies or weapons, Plus rations. I also keep a look out for anything seemingly useful.

I research all known facts about zombies and try to come to learn about them.

Lastly, I try to find some nice furniture or comfort appliances and put them in my room.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2021, 09:16:38 pm »

Upon hearing his walkie talkie go off Pat fumbles for his walkie talkie and replies to the voice "Oh uh alrighty got you loud and...clear just be a bit more quiet next time please?"

Pat sighs his position surely blown he walks up to the weird costume guy "Hey im err Pat I uh saw you back at the farm and kinda followed you here not in a uh weird way or anything just walking ya know uhm anyway I notice you seem to be er having trouble dealing with the zombies maybe we could uhm stone them to death or something? I mean its just a suggestion much safer then getting up close you know." Pat throws stones at the heads of the zombies in a attempt to kill them from a safe distance how much energy he puts forward into it depends if costume guy joins in or not. Loot the bank if the zombies are successfully slain run away like a coward if they break threw the door somehow.

OOC: Also im leaning on D simply cause that leads to the most !!FUN!! in my experience with these types of games. (see MOOK for a example)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 03:21:50 am by Fluffe9911 »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2021, 10:43:52 pm »

(( OOC:  If two people cooperate on a task, flip a coin, and use whomever's side comes up. If Sam rolls 6 and Caroline rolls 1, but Sam's coinflip came up, his roll is used. It's like Advantage/Disadvantage, but with a "too many cooks spoil the soup" element to it. ))

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2021, 05:18:07 am »

Pat sighs his position surely blown he walks up to the weird costume guy "Hey im err Pat I uh saw you back at the farm and kinda followed you here not in a uh weird way or anything just walking ya know uhm anyway I notice you seem to be er having trouble dealing with the zombies maybe we could uhm stone them to death or something? I mean its just a suggestion much safer then getting up close you know."
"Oh hello, I guess stoning them is better than trying to stab them through the broken door."
Join Pat in throwing rocks and bricks at the zombies inside the building, if they all die loot the bank and the bodies, if they don't die run, no matter what happens in the end start looking at the cars around the bank and see if any of them could be driven.

(I also vote D.)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2021, 07:12:01 am »

(( OOC:  If two people cooperate on a task, flip a coin, and use whomever's side comes up. If Sam rolls 6 and Caroline rolls 1, but Sam's coinflip came up, his roll is used. It's like Advantage/Disadvantage, but with a "too many cooks spoil the soup" element to it. ))
I think this is a good idea except it kinda discourages teamwork. I think that if multiple people are working on something the highest roll is used.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2021, 08:35:50 am »

I think this is a good idea except it kinda discourages teamwork. I think that if multiple people are working on something the highest roll is used.

Yeah, I agree.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5