Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread  (Read 15725 times)

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
Re: Picture Wars, WIP thread
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2017, 06:25:41 am »

Yeah, those look awesome! How did you do sprites that big, Stef? I need to find an efficient way to make a higher quality Cthulhu.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

stefman

• Bay Watcher
  • Techno-commie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2017, 07:49:09 am »

We all know that there's no limits for perfection ;) if you'll take a closer look to those big things, they all are very simple shaded and could use more detail. As for your Chtulhu, there are two ways to improve him. First, try to make his pose a bit more natural. Second, shade him properly. Shading is used to define shape of the object, and therefore a properly shaded sprite is almost always looks better.
It looks like all shading tutorials on PW forums are gone, so it may be worth to create another one from scratch, if anyone interested.
Russians are coming!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2017, 08:11:29 am »

We all know that there's no limits for perfection ;) if you'll take a closer look to those big things, they all are very simple shaded and could use more detail. As for your Chtulhu, there are two ways to improve him. First, try to make his pose a bit more natural. Second, shade him properly. Shading is used to define shape of the object, and therefore a properly shaded sprite is almost always looks better.
It looks like all shading tutorials on PW forums are gone, so it may be worth to create another one from scratch, if anyone interested.
I would, if I knew how to shade properly :P
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2017, 10:26:39 am »

I finally got fed up and switched to Photoshop--I can finally rotate things again! Salvation!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2017, 07:10:37 pm »

@Greatness942, I see you finally figured out how to upload. What was the problem?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2017, 09:18:10 pm »

Instead of doing the .png file URL, I was giving the imgur one.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2017, 10:36:22 pm »

The Spritesheet begins! Spoilered are some fun tests for the army's style. Basically, the concept is the robots just fling themselves at people--literally.

Phase I: Individual robots, chilling, attacking, being wounded. <-- Where I'm at now obvo.

Phase II: A modular robot horde. My inspiration for this comes from this stage of Castle Crashers:

... So, there'll be some segments several robots in length and several deep--the trick here is that instead of making dozens of robots, Ill simply be using silhouettes for those not in the rank nearest us (the viewer) to give an impression of a many ranks deep column.

Phase III: Specials. They're not great with guns. Flailing limbs and poor motor control means the best they can do is wave around their guns while emptying the clip... Which they'll do here. Perhaps a Tankbot kind of unit. Those are my only two ideas right now, but ill work in a third.

Spoiler: "el robotos" (click to show/hide)

Like I said, just a couple of fun tests, but they'll be a lot of whacky movement, flailing, falling, and throwing themselves around. Thoughts?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2017, 01:04:48 am »

Nice sprites, if they are your first PW sprites than amazing. A suggestion for the background is to chose a natural blue color, which is mostly the color your sprites will appear on.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2017, 01:06:27 am »

Thanks--they are indeed my first PW sprites. Is the blue color thing for viewing or practical purposes? Because my background is on a separate layer and I can just remove it whenever!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2017, 01:14:11 am »

It's both for viewing and practical, because you will see how the colors will look when you see them on a map fighting. By the way, would you like to join a match that I will be starting sometime soon?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2017, 01:31:00 am »

If my army is at least partially complete sure! When were you thinking of starting?

stefman

• Bay Watcher
  • Techno-commie
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2017, 01:38:13 am »

Count me in! I want to refresh my matching skills and overcame curse of stalling matches to death.
Russians are coming!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2017, 01:48:15 am »

Count me in! I want to refresh my matching skills and overcame curse of stalling matches to death.
If my army is at least partially complete sure! When were you thinking of starting?
Awesome, counting Grateness and Asgarus who is another guy interested in PW, there is four of you so I guess you can manage together a good timing. I personally won't be playing, because I'm involved in a lot of shit already, but I will PM Asgarus.

Edit: Decided to post my first sprie sheet here, the Orocks. On the right, as some of you remember, are how they looked in the beginning. However I'm not planning on continuing them yet.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:14:02 am by snow dwarf »

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2017, 02:38:40 am »

Okay, going through a little conundrum. I am terrible at hands and feet, and trying to draw Cthulhu is taking a lot of attempts. That, and the dimensions of stuff like his cloak and his hands and feet. So, until I start doing great improvements, I am going to replace him with a different entity. Why am I saying this? Because I am going to show it off, and it's best to let you know just what you're looking at.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2017, 02:49:32 am »

Spriting continues. A little mob test--not perfect, and perhaps TOO organized but you get the general idea! Hopefully this gives a much more complete idea of what I'm going for.

On the to do list:

Phase I:

-- Idling poses

-- MORE movement poses

-- damaged Idling poses

-- damaged movement poses

EDIT: -- attack poses

Phase II:

-- probably an additional four normal mob sections

-- damaged mob section(s)

-- attacking/lunging-forward mob section

Phase III:

-- Killbots, these guys with guns - wildly incompetent.

-- Tankbot, a bigge,r slabbier version of these guys - more a moving wall than a robot.

-- A.I. Core??? Still not sure about this last one, but an A.I. Core could work to help regulate playing mechanics for this army.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:51:13 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13