Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2208292 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #9000 on: September 03, 2013, 03:13:50 pm »

Yeah, albeit barely. Buy with luck ill be getting this over with by next week.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9001 on: September 04, 2013, 02:21:41 pm »

9001th post. Guys, how much misery is there yet to be reported?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: September 04, 2013, 05:11:28 pm »

9001th post. Guys, how much misery is there yet to be reported?
Depends on what you mean. I've been using my phone to communicate. Won't have the rig back until late tomorrow at the earliest.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: September 04, 2013, 09:02:11 pm »

Godspeed, good sir!

Also, if it's not too much trouble, when you do get back on could you PM me my dorf's relationships, or at least the thoughts and prefs? Again, it's not a big deal but would be greatly appreciated if you can manage it conveniently.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9004 on: September 08, 2013, 06:27:08 pm »

Alright boys and girls, I have my rig back and within the next day or so I can finally get back to work with this trainwreck of a fortress. Sorry for the delays everyone.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: September 08, 2013, 06:51:35 pm »

Let the games begin continue!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: September 09, 2013, 04:04:47 am »

So, it seems my shiny new graphics card operates on a vastly different resolution and the old graphics, while still nice, are no longer the right size, which was the problem I had with graphics sets before. In response to this, I will be switching over to the phoebus tileset, so to those who hated the old stuff or just didn't have an easy time looking at them, good news for you.

I guess it's fitting, with Savero being a different character. Also, ue to my combination of crash and loss of things, she may turn out a bit different from before.

She will still be incredibly racist towards most elves though.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: September 09, 2013, 07:22:54 am »

Is there a summary available for reading, somewhere? I read a little on first page and in dedicated TVTropes page, but the size of this is beyond me. Are there still caravans arriving to SB? Is this modded version of df? Are there any competent dwarves available for dwarfing?
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9008 on: September 09, 2013, 07:46:20 am »

Is there a summary available for reading, somewhere? I read a little on first page and in dedicated TVTropes page, but the size of this is beyond me. Are there still caravans arriving to SB? Is this modded version of df? Are there any competent dwarves available for dwarfing?

There are plenty of dwarves, just desired profession may not be available. Caravans do still frequent the fortress but the humans objected to us beating their law giver to death for interrupting the noble's military training so we're uh.... Kinda at war with them now. The half dozen trashed caravans probably didn't help.

The short version is this is what happens when you combine a clusterfuck of fantasy and sci-fi stuff by random chance and toss in the fact it's a DF succession game to make the mess worse. Continuity snarls abound, seemingly unrelated stories are both unfinished and rampant, hell was conquered, bonds of e-friendship forged, a zombie army crushed, abominations from the days of 40d revived and made even greater abominations, aliens rained upon the world in rocks and through portals, and a top hatted and bemonocled Canadian frog's patience was severely tried.

In all, generally a hole with a fancy bit of masonry outside it coated in blood of various kinds, littered with bones, and laden with the presence of things both foul and strange.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: September 09, 2013, 08:40:18 am »

The short version is this is what happens when you combine a clusterfuck of fantasy and sci-fi stuff...
Sign me up!

Name: Ergo Fairlodge
Profession: Preferably a siege engineer, mechanic or architect ("Draftsdwarf") if none of these are available, pump operator ("Maintenance dwarf") or something similar fitting the theme will do.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:45:22 am by Tarqiup Inua »
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: September 09, 2013, 08:51:36 am »

We may not have any of that particular skillset but I can always assign a dwarf to it. We're an "as needed" type of place anyways and I'm sure there's something we'll need pumped eventually.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: September 10, 2013, 12:07:29 am »

1st granite, 211

I don't feel so good... Evidently dwarves are not meant to down whole barrels of alcohol in one go and that's why our ancecstors overseas invented the first mugs. Had one hell of a New Year's party that the odd fellows in the black and whte kit tried to shy away from, or at least the tallfolk and barkeaters among them tried to. Pretty sure one of the humans died of alcohol poisoning...

Anyway, it seems that, along with a hangover from hell- uh... Hmm. Not sure if that saying is applicable anymore since hell's an actual place... Bleh. Either way my head hurts and apparently I won the yearly overseer hat drawing. Apparently getting passed out drunk doesn't qualify one to abstain from such duties. Not really sure how being a stonecrafter qualifies me for that miserable post but I suppose I have to do it.

2nd Granite, 211

I fucking hate this job already. Apparently Corai's been copying all the overseer notes on the Duke's orders. For the love of Armok, half of this crap doesn't make sense or seem like the ravings of barely sane or more worryingly, sober individuals. It's already rather late and I've spent most of today trying to organize this mess. Why dear journal? The Duke walked right into my apartment late this morning and literally dumped all this paperwork on my head while I was engraving my personal mugs.

How anyone from the initial expedition survived after the second year, much less the seemingly endless string of disasters ranging from sleeping sickness and explosions in livestock population to full blown assaults by the undead, the hive king of the spawn (whatever the hell a hive king is,) and even that insane invasion of hell itself last year, is beyond me.

It doesn't help that both at lunch and dinner I saw Sergeant Lefton talking to himself about time and breaking something like there was someone else discussing a broken clock or something. I may as well copy down the basics of this place since Corai's going to be poking through this year's journal entries for the next poor bastard.

5th Granite, 211

We have piles of fuck all backpacks around here and the Duke just put out a mandate for more. I dunno if he's an idiot with strange fetishes or if he's just pulling random production mandates out of his helmet. I hear it's the latter to keep us on our toes but still. I think we may have more backpacks than dwarves, which considering what I've read in the old logs, isn't all that surprising. I was wrong, I looked into it and we only have 61, soon to be 64.

Oh, and I also found out why we're always filling boxes with mugs.

We have over 4000 of the fucking things.

4470 to be exact. That's something ot the order of 38 mugs per dwarf if I did the math right.

7th Granite, 211

Hopper was bringing Fischer some food and found one of her dogs dead. It was curled up in one of the baskets near her bed so it was probably old age.

I gotta say, for a war dog to die of old age in this place is a pretty impressive feat! Also got word that No-Hair gave birth to a boy who, compared to his mother, looks like a little ball of fuzz. Apparently she and her husband have very odd naming patterns and named the little sprog "Much-Hair." To each their own I guess.

9th Granite, 211

Decided to have a look at some of the engravings in what used to be some mass grave. Terrahex and Mr Frog did most of them from what I can tell.

Decent enough I guess. I remember reading something about paranoia regarding the grizzlies being in league with the spawn, but considering it's our local emblem and is on damn near everything, I dunno if there's really much stock in that.

Good chunk of the month is down, and the FB traps are moving along nicely. I'm going to shoot for an update a day if that's alright with you guys. Tarquip, if gender isn't an issue I can have you dorf'd in fairly short order.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: September 10, 2013, 03:12:43 am »

Tarquip, if gender isn't an issue I can have you dorf'd in fairly short order.
Sure, I'll play along! Let me know how it went... and make me a screenshot of stats, if you would, please! :-)

(though I could live without it)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:18:55 am by Tarqiup Inua »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: September 10, 2013, 04:22:14 am »

A broken clock, eh... Interesting...
So if...
Then... But she...
Would..?
No... Yes...
Damara... Horukra'z...
Vijha... Time...
Time...
Time...

Time...

In unrelated news, happy to see the fort's up and running again!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: September 10, 2013, 05:18:14 am »

Tarquip, if gender isn't an issue I can have you dorf'd in fairly short order.
Sure, I'll play along! Let me know how it went... and make me a screenshot of stats, if you would, please! :-)

(though I could live without it)

I'll provide one with the next update.

And yes, it is back up and running. Kinda sucks that I almost finished (or got half way anyway) when I lost it before, but eh. We're rolling along nicely!
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 815