Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2208297 times)

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9420 on: October 31, 2013, 09:28:00 pm »

meh i admit my ederichi abomination need work, sorry frog.

if anything, all mr frog need sot do is outsmart chaos (lets face it, the damn dwarf-like void wraith spent so much time in the void he doesnt know much crap anymore...basicly pretty much only a regular dwarf at frist, and at least o powers or ability to interact with the mortal world, now if anyone gets in the void...well thats another story althogether) he primarily just wants to make a mess of everything all for the sake of amusement, and he only goes for the weakwilled dwarves (such as those tramitized by an event:aka doesnt care anymore) or just goes for the metalworkers.

If anything he plays as that middleguy that either helps/hinders/or plain out laughs as he/it makes a mess of things...

such as spawn in the base...oh their locked beheind a door? Look theres armed dwarves nearby! Lets see what happens...
Funny lookign rock? Toss it into the dump or take it to the forge and incorperat it into soem desgins...
Funny people runnign away from gaurds? make a trip-wire a bit ahead of them and watch the confused mess of dwarves land in a cleverly disguised channel dug earlier and then watch as they fight for their lives against zombie-hair...or the fact their own beards get cut off and a caged necromancer is nearby to revive the hair into zombie-hair...making them fight their own beards!

funny looking tunnel being made by a lightrbox and someones going through? Bust the box!

essentially he just likes to make chaos around the place. a real bad prankster/manipulative ass that can be shut out of reality for awhile, but alwasy comes back due to the havok on the reality rip.

just in a diffrent dwarf. If anything the body of the vessel does affect his mind-state, if the vessel is happy then hes less prone to mess with everyones hard work...if hes annoyed or angry...well you can all blame your problems one way or another on him...especally if he manages to find a way back into hell to say hello to the demonspawn...and trying to make a Red Monster Sword out of one of their hides and bones...mostly fail;s spectacularly...

anyway due to being in job corps wont have much time to write, sorry i came out the wrong way...my head goes nuts when i get an idea and it was early in the morning....or was it late at night? gah cant remember...

anyway going to go from 230 to current as soon as i can to get the general idea of what the story is like...and tweek chaosmaker appropriately if thing ssuddenly change...

have fun everyone, and thanks for the invite into the madhouse....im sure somehow im going to make things either worse...or better...at which youll bitch and make it 2x worse then before...like the hospital before mitchs reforms.
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9421 on: October 31, 2013, 09:42:44 pm »

Well Chaos, if he's essentially just a gremlin in a dwarf's body, that's a LITTLE better, but then again I'm not the Frog. Frog?

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9422 on: October 31, 2013, 10:34:52 pm »

hmm yeah sorta like a gremlin...mostly because this was an artifical rip...not a natural one..even then it would only allow him to posses bodies indefinetly...and maybe in storywise influence others...only to a few however (maybe 3-4 others). other then than he just lives to make a mess of the fort...and cause gernal chaos whenever possible, it can be good chaos, or the !FUN! kind. who knows?

besides still havent finished readint the 600+pages of this...spearbreakers is awsome! cant wait for the sequel if you guys all decide on it!
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9423 on: October 31, 2013, 11:20:02 pm »

@Chaosmaker:

I'm going to be chewing on Lolfail for now, so I'll pen you in for tomorrow <3

@Lolfail:

Imma post this in the main thread, as I don't have anything particularly-nasty to say (for once) and so don't have to worry about starting a ‼DRAMA‼, and also because it might help others.

(Ahem)

My biggest complaint here is that you aren't using paragraphs enough. True, like 95% of all English grammar constructs, they aren't strictly necessary -- but, like 99% of all English grammar constructs, they help immensely. I'll post the middle section with line breaks inserted, to give y'all an idea of how much easier it makes it to read:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It can be a bit hard to judge where to put line breaks, but you should always do so to prevent your writing from turning into a Big Ol' Wall O' Text. Basically, put one in whenever something new happens (that isn't directly caused by something you just described), whenever the subject changes, whenever someone finishes speaking, or generally whereever the narration shifts gears slightly. You may need to get a bit draconian when dealing with a huge paragraph such as the one above which is all basically describing the same course of events.

Simply stating who the narrator is whenever it changes works well enough, but I feel as though there may have been a more-graceful way to integrate it, though I'm buggered to think of what it could be.

Your handling of dialogue could be a bit smoother in spots... like here:

At this, the bastard smiled. "A number I may be but your name, I'd like to point out, is an insult. Not even to any opponent; your very name insults you, which is why you prefer 'Old Creator', I presume?"

It would have read a bit more smoothly to my eyes had you put a semicolon instead of a period after "smiled". You do something like this at other points, though, so I'd assume this was a random slip-up.

As far as positive things go, you're quite articulate. You have a fairly-good, varied vocabulary, but you use it properly -- you don't go overboard with the two-dollar words (at least not enough for it to get grating).
    You do seem a bit reluctant to use pronouns sometimes, though -- at one point, you referred to someone as "the bastard" twice consecutively, which jumped out at me. We already gathered that the narrator thinks the subject is a bastard -- no need to state it twice. In situations like that, just use 'he' or such. The thing with using lots of descriptive terms is that if what they're describing has already been brought to the reader's attention, they're just dead weight.

I could probably find more little things to bitch about if I really tried, but I just took my sister trick-or-treating and I'm tired. I don't know much about the story you're writing, so I'll refrain from commenting on the subject matter, as I'd have no idea what I'm talking about.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9424 on: October 31, 2013, 11:23:45 pm »

@Lolfail:
-snip-

Thanks a million :D
I'll remember for when I write for SBII.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9425 on: November 01, 2013, 01:07:15 am »

Will Mr Frog (as a character) be returning in Spearbreakers Two.

Unrelated, I was thinking of writing as a Scythoid captured by the dwarves of Spearbreakers Two, comments?
"In case of stairs, use fire"

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9426 on: November 01, 2013, 01:29:35 am »

sounds intresting, not sure what it is...mostly only on page 230 right now, will read more tomorrow. hope spearbreakers 2 comes out soon! will refine my char allot more by then. basicly i just jumped the gun...sorry again.

Still looking to see what crazy shit goes down in spearbreakers 1....and if its going as i think its going. it probably will surpass deathgate in the sheer madness that happens, at least your save file wasnt eaten by terry as we call it. (read the deathgate story if you dont know what terry is)

those poor, poor madened dwarves stuck forever in that save limbo, trapped by a chaos-god forged from the sheer crazyness of the crap thats happened.

Good luck guys and happy holloween!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9427 on: November 01, 2013, 01:40:23 am »

@Cynm:

I'm pretty sure at least one Mr Frog (yes, there are in fact two running around) managed to make it through the flustercluck unscathed (can someone who's been following along better confirm this for me?). Whether one or both can reappear in the sequel depends on the narrative choices made by Splint et al, but he should be able to survive for quite a while, as high gnomes age very slowly -- he's ~240 years old at the very least, and appears middle-aged at the very oldest.
    I'll try to have them back for the sequel, in light of how ridiculously-popular Mr Frog seemed to be, but I also want to try writing a new character if that's okay with everyone.

Since both Mr Frogs are persona non grata at any place under the control of either of the major megacorporations and would likely be targeted by the remnants of Eris for helping take down Joseph (I think? Did that happen?), they'd probably try to stay in the shadows and manipulate things behind the scenes. They're responsible for a lot of bad, and I recall a significant part of their character being wanting to right the wrongs that they'd caused under Ballpoint, so they'd probably focus on doing that. I'm thinking some sort of covert operations group lead by the two Frogs for the purpose of either researching and eradicating the Spawn, fighting Ballpoint, or both.

Can anyone tell me where each of the two Frogs were at the end of the story, and whether they were aware of each others' existence?

Also, a scythod character would be fun to write, but make sure you actually understand the scythod before trying to write one (LESSON ONE: there is no 'i' in 'scythod'). It may be best to post a sample of how you think you'd like to write it before trying it for realsies.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9428 on: November 01, 2013, 01:47:41 am »

As far as I know both Frogs are still alive and both are aware of each other's existence. Frog two, the one in Spearbreakers, does not know where Frog one is. Frog two is aware that he is a clone. Frog one is still at Too Perfect Guy Who's Name Escapes Me's headquarters.

That is, if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:49:13 am by Cynm »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9429 on: November 01, 2013, 01:58:27 am »

Now I really want to write a (non-canon) Zedo V Scythod fight... Perhaps later.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9430 on: November 01, 2013, 02:03:54 am »

Okay. I think Frog was supposed to have killed Joseph in one of Talvi's last stories (according to Talvi), but I don't think he ever posted it. I'll just have to work under the assumption that Frog2 successfully killed Joseph and that both he and Silena managed to escape back into Everoc and possibly reunite with Frog1. Eris and its ideology still more-or-less exists, but is severely-neutered with their psychopathic (if-brilliant) leader put down.

Also, I just had a horrible idea...

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9431 on: November 01, 2013, 02:12:20 am »

Also, I just had a horrible idea...

Spheal of Approval!

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9432 on: November 01, 2013, 02:31:26 am »

My two cents.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9433 on: November 01, 2013, 02:52:08 am »

Mmm... Mr Frog doesn't do Science Vs Magic. As far as he's concerned, "magic" is just another word for science anyways. You must remember that Frog comes from a different world, and repeatedly refers to magical phenomena as though it's something that's just as well-understood and documented as magnetism and gravity. The only reason he doesn't use magic himself is because, to be blunt, he sucks at it -- he has very limited reserves of magic power, and the smallest spell exhausts him.

A loophole in your argument is that Mr Frog doesn't respect or care for anyone save for himself. He is intensely-arrogant and self-absorbed, and keeps pawns rather than friends. If Silena was still hanging around Frog2, she'd probably object, but she's about as good at making a point as I am at being tactful.

Still, the fact that it's my character only means so much. If Splint objects, or a bunch of other people object, I won't do it; Mr Frog (and Spearbreakers in general) is meant to be read about and enjoyed by people other than myself. It was really more of a random idea than anything else. I'm a bit on the fence now, as well; maybe Frog would be okay with feeding off people (nonfatally, or so he'd try) so long as it was for a greater purpose, maybe he wouldn't.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9434 on: November 01, 2013, 07:18:04 am »

If memory serves the copy has become a much more stabler and "normal" individual due to prolonged exposure and operation with the Everoc natives while the original is the one who is the one with questionable personal morals and whatnot.
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 815