Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2208303 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

What I drew was just part of a misshapen upper body . Had I drawn the whole thing I would have went with something akin to a slug man, that is a couple jagged rusty limbs either dragging along or resting on said upper body while it slimed its way forward on the mostly formless and lacking in metal bits lump of a body underneath.

Also choose your words carefully next time Mr Frog; I tend to think of golems as humanoid in shape , if not appearance. :P

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

Woot, more Spearbreakers art! Looks pretty awesome. I'll have to get it (and everything else) into the Art Gallery later today. Right now I'm working on Vanya's story - I just finished another chapter, so that's four in the stockpile. I'm going to see if I can crank out a second one today, and after I have one more, I'll start posting. In the meantime, I've been gradually updating the Vanya thread with older chapters, hoping to maybe get a couple more readers in here... I don't know how successful I'll be at that, but hey, it's worth a shot.

@Talvi:

Believe it or not, I was actually intending on giving them variations in body structure (although they all would keep to having a fleshy lower body and metallic upper body) but I decided to focus on getting the default form through worldgen before putting in any others.
Lol, we think alike. Pretty awesome. And I have a suggestion on getting them through worldgen. If they reproduce, set their age of maturity a little lower. (They seem like they'd be asexually reproductive to me, "splitting" like cells, but I don't think there's a way to do that in Dwarf Fortress. :-\ )

Also, I, too, think of a humanoid shape when I think of golems. The definition is roughly "An animated, anthropomorphic being, created by bringing inanimate matter to life", so that pretty much yells "humanoid". I'm not sure what other word you would use for it, though. If I recall, the word is Jewish in origin (how? no idea, I don't remember, besides the fact that in folklore they were always made from mud), so it's been around for a lot longer than D&D games and roguelikes... Random bit of info there, not sure why I brought it up.

Oh, and, also, for detaily-ness... I imagine the bits of scrap metal would likely be rusted. Seems like an awesome touch.

Finally, I really want to model Asea's pulse rifle now... lol
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Screw it, gonna draw another one.

And you might do well unlocking the thread, kinda hard to keep an eye on it otherwise.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Screw it, gonna draw another one.

And you might do well unlocking the thread, kinda hard to keep an eye on it otherwise.
I'm fifty posts in, and nobody's posted there yet - I'm kind of afraid people will. There's a Notify button at top-right that people can click if they want, and it's the first thing I mention in the first post. :P

edit: That's not how I'd originally intended it, but I got a whole page in without anybody else posting, and now, four pages in, it just feels like it'd be weird if anyone did. I'll unlock it anyway, though.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:44:09 am by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you wanna that's fine, it's just I went to put in a ptw so if you posted while I was asleep or something I'd know and not have to look here to check.

EDIT: And now more things inspired by the Trash Golem Concept.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wood barrel shell for one, sparse scrape metal for the other.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Noone liked my gun, did they?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

See, since y'all misunderstood my somewhat-ambiguous creature description, I will now punish y'all with ugly artwork. Let this be a lesson.

I would have given it proper shading and everything but drawing with a mouse turns everything into a long, drawn-out ordeal so I decided not to for the sake of my sanity.

I should probably get a DeviantArt account but I'm not sure how I'd feel about 100% of my initial gallery consisting of bad fanart for an obscure DF thread.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

That thing looks like my bedroom floor.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

Funny, that is almost merciful compared to my room. That is amazing, Mr Frog. More so when I consider it was drawn by mouse, a tedious, finger-numbing, excruciating affair. I feel humbled- I tried that once, and never finished. It was too painful.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you wanna that's fine, it's just I went to put in a ptw so if you posted while I was asleep or something I'd know and not have to look here to check.

Urp. :-\ I suppose there's no point in locking it now, lol

And now more things inspired by the Trash Golem Concept.

Wood barrel shell for one, sparse scrape metal for the other.
I actually really like those. Especially the first one.

Noone liked my gun, did they?
Actually, I said I was extremely tempted to make a 3D model of it. I would, too, but unfortunately I'm already tasked with finishing Vanya's story, so piling more work on myself might be somewhat counter-productive.

See, since y'all misunderstood my somewhat-ambiguous creature description, I will now punish y'all with ugly artwork. Let this be a lesson.

I would have given it proper shading and everything but drawing with a mouse turns everything into a long, drawn-out ordeal so I decided not to for the sake of my sanity.

I should probably get a DeviantArt account but I'm not sure how I'd feel about 100% of my initial gallery consisting of bad fanart for an obscure DF thread.
That's actually very impressive. lol    I like it. It's got a "bad robot" vibe to it, though I like the idea of the gunk pile extending a little farther. Splint's gunk monster would be biological in nature, while yours seems more electrical. Loving the oily trail, though, and I know it's possible for you to actually get that ingame, too (provided there are enemies nearby), so that's a bonus. (It also may be possible for you to get it out of combat, too, but I'm not entirely sure. I never found a way.)

That thing looks like my bedroom floor.
Heh, mine looked worse, once upon a time.

Funny, that is almost merciful compared to my room. That is amazing, Mr Frog. More so when I consider it was drawn by mouse, a tedious, finger-numbing, excruciating affair. I feel humbled- I tried that once, and never finished. It was too painful.
Mr Frog is a god. *nods solemnly* Seriously, the main issue I had with using his program was that I'm so terrible with the mouse, which is part of why it always blows me away when he posts art up. lol    (Also why I'm totally okay that he never found time for the other stuff he was going to do.)

By the way, whatever happened to that piece of art you were working on that was based off something I said at some point, the "mystery piece" you held a sort of contest to see who could guess what it was, and nobody had the slightest clue?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Splint's gunk monster would be biological in nature, while yours seems more electrical. Loving the oily trail, though, and I know it's possible for you to actually get that ingame, too (provided there are enemies nearby), so that's a bonus. (It also may be possible for you to get it out of combat, too, but I'm not entirely sure. I never found a way.)

I guess I designed it to have a sharp cutoff between the rotten-hamburger-gunk and metallic portions of its body because it looks creepier. Like, the metallic parts are just jammed into its body.

And, yes, it does in fact leave a trail of toxic black sludge everywhere it goes, thanks to the magic of interactions:

Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Drip sludge]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:BODY_LOWER]
[CDI:MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SLUDGE:SPATTER_LIQUID]
[CDI:TARGET:C:SELF_ONLY]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:0]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:FREE_ACTION]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:100]

The lack of a usage hint means it will do it automatically even when not in combat.

(Also why I'm totally okay that he never found time for the other stuff he was going to do.)

Urk. Sorry.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By the way, whatever happened to that piece of art you were working on that was based off something I said at some point, the "mystery piece" you held a sort of contest to see who could guess what it was, and nobody had the slightest clue?

I think this was it:

I found something I meant to post awhile ago. Like, before the drawing I did of Mr Frogs room. Thought I'd post it up while I knew where it was:

Hopefully, I can finish a few other things... no promises, though.

Edit: The quote is hard to read, so I'll put it below:

Quote from: I can't find the original quote on OP, & can't remember who said it...
That would only be logical, but this is Spearbreakers, where logic dictates you must add a mug to all equations.

If you were the one who said that, I'll edit the post so I can give credit where due.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Splint's gunk monster would be biological in nature, while yours seems more electrical. Loving the oily trail, though, and I know it's possible for you to actually get that ingame, too (provided there are enemies nearby), so that's a bonus. (It also may be possible for you to get it out of combat, too, but I'm not entirely sure. I never found a way.)

I guess I designed it to have a sharp cutoff between the rotten-hamburger-gunk and metallic portions of its body because it looks creepier. Like, the metallic parts are just jammed into its body.

And, yes, it does in fact leave a trail of toxic black sludge everywhere it goes, thanks to the magic of interactions:

Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Drip sludge]
[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:BODY_LOWER]
[CDI:MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SLUDGE:SPATTER_LIQUID]
[CDI:TARGET:C:SELF_ONLY]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:0]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
[CDI:FREE_ACTION]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:100]

The lack of a usage hint means it will do it automatically even when not in combat.
Gah, that's brilliant. *headdesk* I could've used that so many times if I'd thought of it, but it never even entered my mind. lol

also, you're right, your version is definitely creepier. I can imagine it animated in a jerky, jumpy, claymation style... it would look totally terrifying.

Urk. Sorry.
lol, Seriously, don't worry about it. I've made you promises I couldn't keep, too, so I guess we're even now? :P

That would only be logical, but this is Spearbreakers, where logic dictates you must add a mug to all equations.
Oh!!! That was Hanslanda, not me. Really funny guy, and the creator of Urist, Vanya's first romantic interest. Real fun to work with. He hasn't been around in a long time, though - he mostly stays on the lower forums now, when he's on at all.
Love that picture, by the way. I almost set it as my desktop, but couldn't find a way to crop it where it still looked good.

Also: Just finished the fifth Vanya post, which means I have a good stockpile up, and I'll post the next chapter (as well as a link to the last) after somebody posts next. I'd like to put it in its own post, rather than sticking it to the end of this mess here.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:11:10 pm by Talvieno »

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks. Don't know why I thought it was you, though... opps.  :-\
GENERATION 32:

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't worry about it, it's fine. :)

And now, for the first time in... far longer than it should've been... Vanya's Journal. lol

Link to previous chapter
Vanya's Journals, Chapter 58: False Freedom
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:17:55 pm by Talvieno »
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 815