Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2208296 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile

Okay, so question. Does anyone want to have at a standardizing of the materials for certain creatures for SBII? I figure with all the changes that will be made we'll need to do something to reduce the eventual drag from so much crap to keep track of, especially since I want to try and merge it with a slightly reduced Civilization Forge (until its Alchemy feature is made more useful and less novelty,) and some weaker fortress defense races. I'd do it myself but I have absolutely no understanding of materials beyond mildly modifying metals.

IIRC you can use Rubble to automatically standardize materials in your mod without any real knowledge of how rubble works. Duplicate the file beforehand though, since it can sometimes delete the raws in my experience.

I think it pretty much does delete some files out of necessity unless I read something wrong. Guess I can give it a go myself.
I've seen it delete everything and seen it delete precisely nothing, so I have no idea.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I'm sure this will be absolutely wonderful then.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

That'll be hard. lol   I don't know if you've ever tried to say stuff at the same time as somebody else online before, but when you try to do it in Skype, it comes out as a huge mess due to the tiny fraction-of-a-second lag delays. I guess we could each record ourselves singing it and then send it in, but then you lose the "as a group" feeling and you feel singled out. Or maybe you weren't really serious and I'm taking you too seriously. (also, I imagined a girl singing it. random.)

Honestly, a bunch of untrained amateurs taking turns recording themselves singing an amateur's attempt at setting a tune to amateur lyrics and then syncing it all up afterwards into a horrifying ear-raping clusterfuck seems as pure an expression of the spirit of succession forts as one can possibly achieve. (Holy wow that sentence was long.)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

That'll be hard. lol   I don't know if you've ever tried to say stuff at the same time as somebody else online before, but when you try to do it in Skype, it comes out as a huge mess due to the tiny fraction-of-a-second lag delays. I guess we could each record ourselves singing it and then send it in, but then you lose the "as a group" feeling and you feel singled out. Or maybe you weren't really serious and I'm taking you too seriously. (also, I imagined a girl singing it. random.)

Honestly, a bunch of untrained amateurs taking turns recording themselves singing an amateur's attempt at setting a tune to amateur lyrics and then syncing it all up afterwards into a horrifying ear-raping clusterfuck seems as pure an expression of the spirit of succession forts as one can possibly achieve. (Holy wow that sentence was long.)

Oh I am so double-timing that synthing now. That's the best thing I've read all day.
(I hope you guys don't mind a slow tempo, but these lyrics lend themselves to a slow, kinda swingin' beat~)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Not sure if I have already posted this... but the long awaited fourth installment to the Ringo McClellan series is now:

Spoiler: Fight for Survival! (click to show/hide)

Mmm... In time I'll get around to the fifth bit. Talvi, I didn't forget what I have agreed to do for you, but man it might well take a while. In the meantime, anything you'd like me to contribute to the actual Vanya story? Art? Words? I can do either or hire talented folke in both to do so. A'matter of fact, my significant other might well be able to contribute much high-quality visuals to the Vanya story. Just give me a summary of where we are now and I'll see what I can do.

Mr Frog. There was something I had to ask you, but I don't recall it.

Splint, hi. Thanks for starting Spearbreakers. Continue to contribute stuff n' stuff. ( Tired now, eloquence fading. )

Lolfail, I've seen you roundabout... why don't you write things? You are funny, rather interesting guy. Oh also, you should play my Roll to Dodge. I'll PM you about it tomma. If I remember.

Everyone: Talented artists yes? May I have? Yeah. So like. Illustrations, no? Yea. Show me what you have to offer, assuming you have time. Good luck to everyone on their finals and God bless. I'm gonna sleep before the head-pain makes me unable. Please. Comment on my writing, critique if you like. Stuff and stuff. And stuff. Talvi, are you feeling any better than you were?

Oh I am so double-timing that synthing now. That's the best thing I've read all day.
(I hope you guys don't mind a slow tempo, but these lyrics lend themselves to a slow, kinda swingin' beat~)

Yes lyrics yes. Can and will do. Might not sound too great. Still try. But I can't compose. I'm too broken to do. Never finished training. Timing so quintessential, so complex too. Fractured sentences.... I will have the results soon(-ish) but I will try to sing Talvien's song. Talvien, you had damn well sing your own song too sometime. We'll help establish the music of the thing, but you need to sing it yourself. It is the pinnacle of achievement in such, yes? Yes. And I want to see you show some confidence to your friends. Noone's gonna laugh, so be brave with it.   ( At any rate, noone's gonna laugh at you. If they do, I'm pretty sure Mr Frog will flay them alive. Noone laugh at me either, eh? ) Compose yon' ehrfail, will do the vocals. Yes... Matter o' fact might cross inspire yes? I make an ugly muse, but ah well, since when has something so vain as a face been a factor in the minds of the truly inspired? Pfft. Silly modern music industry and it's silly silliness. Danke schon alle. Gute Nacht mein freunde.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lolfail, I've seen you roundabout... why don't you write things? You are funny, rather interesting guy.

Well, I can't be bothered looking for LFTON's main story arc but perhaps I could point you to my Interlude miniseries?

Part 1: The Sisters
Part 2: Kyh's Sorrow
Part 3: Kaishi!
Part 4 is in the works, still need to do some research into the fields of quantum spacetime.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:54:59 am by Lolfail0009 »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

Quote from: Captain McClellan
I still think it's an acceptable break from reality. The thing I'd be concerned about is a break of flow. Those lyrics are long enough to break the flow of a chapter, 'specially with how short some of your chapters tend to be. An insert should never outweigh the rest of the content in a chapter. Mr Frog is probably right. Pick out the parts that are most emotionally significant to Vanya.
    D: ...Short? Really? :-\ None of them (at least the ones past chapter 8) are shorter than 3000 words... and that's about half of the 40,000 character limit. I knew they weren't long, but short? :-\ really? huh... well, I guess could be, relatively speaking...
    However, that also means that the song (180 words) is just 6% of the length of one of my chapters, so it wouldn't necessarily interrupt the flow.
    It does break the suspension of disbelief, though. I can remember lyrics to songs pretty easily, if I've heard them enough:
Spoiler: demonstration (click to show/hide)
    But Vanya only gets to hear her song once. Yes, I've established that her memory is uncommonly good (and attributed it to Mr Frog's experiments/training), but keep in mind that she's also dancing while part of the song is playing, and then crying, and also preoccupied with her thoughts. (Yes, Vanya dances. In my notes, that's even the name of the scene: "Vanya Dances".)

I lol'd. I agree quite heartily. It'd be extremely amusing. If I'm singing, though, you're singing too. >.> It took me forever to talk myself into humming that little bit that's somewhere in the thread.

I imagine the lyrics might be relatively slow, but the music itself would probably be upbeat and pretty fast. That's just in my head, though. Also, for the record, you can switch up the verses however you see fit. I couldn't decide between using the chorus three times, or using it twice... And couldn't decide whether I wanted to cut two of the stanzas out of there or not.

@McClellan: I think I missed one of your posts... I'm going to have to go back through and search for it. In the meantime:

Mmm... In time I'll get around to the fifth bit. Talvi, I didn't forget what I have agreed to do for you, but man it might well take a while. In the meantime, anything you'd like me to contribute to the actual Vanya story? Art? Words? I can do either or hire talented folke in both to do so. A'matter of fact, my significant other might well be able to contribute much high-quality visuals to the Vanya story. Just give me a summary of where we are now and I'll see what I can do.

Talvi, are you feeling any better than you were?
I'm feeling much better now, thanks to you guys. I'm finally getting into the swing of things again. :P Wish I'd come here first off, even though I do feel somewhat embarrassed for dumping everything on everybody. >.>
    And... don't worry about how long it takes. :P If it gets here at all, I'll be tickled pink. (not literally.)
As to contributing to the actual Vanya story... Read it first. :P And don't skip to the last chapters I'm posting, either. XD I could spoil the whole thing for you, but then some of the plot twists just fall flat. (I don't always put in plot twists, but when I do, I prefer Spearbreakers Bitters they tend to be biggish.) And I'd love art. :P I'm curious about these high-quality visuals you speak of. There are a few places that sorely need a piece of art... like Urist and Vanya sharing their almost-kiss in the gorlak cave (seems like a pic-worthy moment).

Quote from: McClellan
Yes lyrics yes. Can and will do. Might not sound too great. Still try. But I can't compose. I'm too broken to do. Never finished training. Timing so quintessential, so complex too. Fractured sentences.... I will have the results soon(-ish) but I will try to sing Talvien's song. Talvien, you had damn well sing your own song too sometime. We'll help establish the music of the thing, but you need to sing it yourself. It is the pinnacle of achievement in such, yes? Yes. And I want to see you show some confidence to your friends. Noone's gonna laugh, so be brave with it.   ( At any rate, noone's gonna laugh at you. If they do, I'm pretty sure Mr Frog will flay them alive. Noone laugh at me either, eh? ) Compose yon' ehrfail, will do the vocals. Yes... Matter o' fact might cross inspire yes? I make an ugly muse, but ah well, since when has something so vain as a face been a factor in the minds of the truly inspired? Pfft. Silly modern music industry and it's silly silliness. Danke schon alle. Gute Nacht mein freunde.
Aw, flapping carp pancakes. >.> I can sing, but I just about die doing it. Nervousness + shy + embarrassment. At least I don't have as big of an ego as I did before my voice changed, I guess. But, finnnnneeeee. I'll do it. lol   And I won't laugh at you either.

erhail shall make excellent musics, I am sure. I attempted it this morning, and it was a shabby attempt. I came up with a melody for the lyrics, but sadly, couldn't find a time signature that fit it quite the way I wanted it to. (It wound up ending at a bizarre cross between a 4/4 and a 5/4.)

@Lolfail: I need to read that stuff. :P Today's been a bit busy for me, but I'll be sure to get everything read soon.

(also, random and unrelated to everything: I appear to have an attachment_modifier (in raws terms) to any music that contains a piano.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:05:24 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mr Frog. There was something I had to ask you, but I don't recall it.

I had a witty response to this, but I forgot it.

If I'm singing, though, you're singing too. >.> It took me forever to talk myself into humming that little bit that's somewhere in the thread.

Of course! Besides, after hearing the unmitigated hilarity that is Mr Frog attempting to sing, you probably won't be nearly as afraid of embarrassing yourself.

And I'd love art. :P I'm curious about these high-quality visuals you speak of. There are a few places that sorely need a piece of art... like Urist and Vanya sharing their almost-kiss in the gorlak cave (seems like a pic-worthy moment).

Ugh. I wish I could grant this wish myself, but this sounds wayyyy too complicated to attempt to draw with a mouse.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

Talvieno, it's good to hear you're feeling better! :D

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

erhail shall make excellent musics, I am sure. I attempted it this morning, and it was a shabby attempt. I came up with a melody for the lyrics, but sadly, couldn't find a time signature that fit it quite the way I wanted it to. (It wound up ending at a bizarre cross between a 4/4 and a 5/4.)

*giggles* Ok, I see where you may or may not be confused because I cannot explain anything for shit (this has been proven IRL several times)

My username here is pronounced as you would expect it; Lol-fail. (If I could change said username to EightTimesNine, I would :/)
However, the character of mine named Lolfail's name is pronounced Er-hail.

...When I post my next Interlude chapter, I'll go through all my writing and Ctrl+H the names.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd offer my skills with a tablet for that piece mentioned earlier, but I... Splint no good with that sort of thing.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd offer my skills with a tablet for that piece mentioned earlier, but I... Splint no good with that sort of thing.

Tablet! Yes! I should save money to get a tablet! THAT WOULD BE LITERALLY PERFECT. THERE WOULD BE NO END TO THE SHITTY FANART I'D POST.

Any advice/recommendations, Splint?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really don't have any other than they're expensive (which is a given,) and that the one I've had is years old. I guess I'd recommend a wacom one, since mine's lasted me so long.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

I really don't have any other than they're expensive (which is a given,) and that the one I've had is years old. I guess I'd recommend a wacom one, since mine's lasted me so long.

Seconded. Wacom is an excellent brand. Also, Mr Frog, I have to use a mouse or a vertical touch-screen to digital art. ( When I remember that I have it, that is. ) It's really not too bad and it lends itself to certain artistic styles quite well.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

Well... I just recorded myself singing six different songs... after working up the nerve for it... annnnndddddd it turns out the mp3 player I was using to record has a bad mic, and it's all buzzy.  ::)

edit: songs on the list were:
  • Lights (ellie goulding)
  • Percussion Drum (white rabbits)
  • Mad World (gary jules)
  • To Build a Home (the cinematic orchestra)
  • You are the Moon (the hush sound)
  • Kiss From a Rose (seal)
only Mad World and You are the Moon seem to have partially survived... probably because I was singing more quietly for those. Also, I shouldn't have listened to the recordings because my nerves came back after I had. lol

On the plus side...  I got a lot of work done with the story today. I had to rewrite a couple chapters after I discovered a plot hole, but that's a good example of why I keep chapters stockpiled and don't post them right after I finish them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:31:52 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 815