Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2208296 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

me realizing to my horror that I'm one note short of Mr Frog

O_O Are you sure you could comfortably hit those? It sounded like you were really straining for most of that... Not trying to gloat or make you feel bad or anything, just cautioning against overestimating yourself. You're probably the best singer here regardless of range, so relax.

a disaster that gives a good feel of my range

I actually thought you sounded good here. Heh. 0:06 to 0:20 sounds like a good place for you.

I'm not sensitive enough to quantify your range based on this, though :V  I meant like playing some scales in Musescore and seeing how low/high it can go before you can't match the pitch anymore. That would be the most accurate way to judge, I'd think.

Weird thing is, I could hit it earlier in the day, but I practiced it, trying to make it easier, and eventually my voice started to give out when I hit that note, feeling all raw and scratchy.

Yeah, that happens, especially if you've been overusing or stressing your voice. Shit gets all tense and then you can temporarily lose a bit of range. I'll be kind and call it a tie :>

Do not want. I really don't like the sound of this.

Eh, don't worry too much. Once you realise you have it, it's easily-reversible just by training yourself to use your lower range better. I think.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

TALVIEN YOU SOUND LIKE A DOLPHIN ON THOSE HIGH NOTES! ( My ears... >_< )

me realizing to my horror that I'm one note short of Mr Frog

O_O Are you sure you could comfortably hit those? It sounded like you were really straining for most of that... Not trying to gloat or make you feel bad or anything, just cautioning against overestimating yourself. You're probably the best singer here regardless of range, so relax.

I concur. And I dunno, it maybe the same pitch but it certainly sounds a lot higher... An' like on the lower notes you sounded pretty gravelly, which is a sign of lower spectrum vocal strain. Mr Frog didn't have that, so I'd still class him as having a lower range. Not that it's a competition... ( Right Mr Frog? ) At any rate. I'd quite like to get some good recording equipment so that you all can get a better feel of my voice, since Talvi and Mr Frog know a lot more about music than I do. I'd like a full vocal diagnostic. XD

Edit: Also, Talvien, don't take this the wrong way, but I could listen to you sing all day. ( You and Mr Frog should collab on something also. I like both of your voices a lot. )

Edit Edit: @Talvi: Here's one of my lame compositions. http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/b35d0d7a324c1f552ff04571723d81c11ad67ad8
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:32:18 am by CaptainMcClellan »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@MaptainCmMlellan
Not that it's a competition... ( Right Mr Frog? )

NO FUCK YOU
EVERYTHING IS A COMPETITION
I CHALLENGE THEE TO A FROG-OFF, HE WITH THE FROGGIEST AVATAR SHALL WIN
I WIN
HAHAHA

But yeah honestly I just can't take not being the absolute best at anything or anyone being better than me. If I were a demon I'd be Leviathan, for Envy.

I'd quite like to get some good recording equipment so that you all can get a better feel of my voice, since Talvi and Mr Frog know a lot more about music than I do. I'd like a full vocal diagnostic. XD

Goddammit why does everyone assume I'm an expert and trust my judgement just because I can rattle off facts from Wikipedia and act like I know everything? :V

E:
You and Mr Frog should collab on something also. I like both of your voices a lot.

Flattery successful

@Talvi:

I just listened to that music you posted and what the hell Talvi I had no idea you could even do that. Seriously, that was amazing. HOW DO YOU DO THAT. TEACH ME.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:58:35 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

* shrug * Mr Frog, you just come off as an expert of everything. Probably because of your envious nature. Mmm... I'd likely fall into Wrath strongest, but it's difficult to say because I can be [censored] and vain as well... Well not vain really, because I don't give the damndest what anyone else thinks of me, but proud yes.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

No, I could not comfortably hit those, which is why I basically said, "You know what, screw it" and started singing the song again a few notes higher in pitch. :P Those notes I could comfortably hit. I never said anything about comfortably, though. :P I just wanted to prove I could hit them... but I failed, wore out my voice and it got all raw and scratchy in the lower register. Ah, well. You still win, though. :P You have the deeper voice.

a disaster that gives a good feel of my range

I actually thought you sounded good here. Heh. 0:06 to 0:20 sounds like a good place for you.
Hmmm... Most of that (besides when I was trying to show my highest and lowest points (and that awful falsetto) was comfortable, I just started to waver later on because I got past the "mindless charge headlong into danger" stage and into the "wait a minute, I'm singing on a mic ._." stage.

I'm not sensitive enough to quantify your range based on this, though :V  I meant like playing some scales in Musescore and seeing how low/high it can go before you can't match the pitch anymore. That would be the most accurate way to judge, I'd think.
True. I'll have to test myself against musescore... which means I'll have to be inside. No way am I taking my laptop outdoors. :P

I'll be kind and call it a tie :>
No, no - you win fair and square, your voice is much deeper than mine.

I dunno, it maybe the same pitch but it certainly sounds a lot higher...
See?!?! I told you! Lol   My voice is pretty deep, but it sounds a lot higher for some reason unless I put force behind it to give it that "dramatic" tone that Mr Frog has.

An' like on the lower notes you sounded pretty gravelly, which is a sign of lower spectrum vocal strain. Mr Frog didn't have that, so I'd still class him as having a lower range. Not that it's a competition... ( Right Mr Frog? )
No, no, I was definitely straining. Mr Frog wins Deepest Voice Award. I wasn't trying to prove that I could hit them comfortably... just that I could hit them, and I couldn't even do that. :P Eh, well. Like I told you, I'm a baritone, not a tenor. Maybe that's a large range, though? I don't know enough about ranges to know.

At any rate. I'd quite like to get some good recording equipment so that you all can get a better feel of my voice, since Talvi and Mr Frog know a lot more about music than I do. I'd like a full vocal diagnostic. XD
My specialty is sheet music. I can read it and get a feel for how it sounds, but I'm not able to pick out notes by ear - that's a rare talent, and if I understand correctly, can't actually be learned. (Can't remember where I read that, though, or what it's called. Probably Mr Frog.)

Edit: Also, Talvien, don't take this the wrong way, but I could listen to you sing all day. ( You and Mr Frog should collab on something also. I like both of your voices a lot. )
Heh. :P Thanks. I still don't like singing in front of other people... And it isn't fun being a baritone. :-\ The only way to really have fun and sing comfortably is to vocalize and make up your own melodies as you go along like I was doing. Sometimes I actually ignore the lyrics and just vocalize along with the lyrics, while I'm outside - with the volume up all the way, though, so I can't hear myself. XD (That was a first, though, with those two pieces I recorded yesterday - I didn't have music playing while I recorded.)

Also, I'd love to collab with Mr Frog. :D Would be fun. Still need to get him on Skype, though. >.> I think I posted that my skype name is Talvieno somewhere.

Edit Edit: @Talvi: Here's one of my lame compositions. http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/b35d0d7a324c1f552ff04571723d81c11ad67ad8
You would like MuseScore. It's free. Get it. I'll even walk you through using it, though it's deceptively simple. All you really need to know is to push "n" to place notes, after that it's intuitive.
Now, a review of sorts: On the 7th measure, immediately following the first start repeat barline, something seems a little off... I'm guessing that's intentional, but it sounds odd to me. The same with the bit at the end of measure 20... Besides that, it's nice. :) I'm curious, will it not let you play notes of varying length at the same time (i.e., have a whole note alongside four quarter notes)? Also, does it permit the use of ties in areas other than across barlines?
Definitely wouldn't call it lame, btw. Oh, and, not everyone can write sheet music. :D It's actually a rarer skill these days...

Quote from: Mr Frog
NO FUCK YOU
EVERYTHING IS A COMPETITION
I CHALLENGE THEE TO A FROG-OFF, HE WITH THE FROGGIEST AVATAR SHALL WIN
I WIN
HAHAHA
That was awesome. I lol'd.

But yeah honestly I just can't take not being the absolute best at anything or anyone being better than me. If I were a demon I'd be Leviathan, for Envy.
I have a little bit of this... it's more of a twinge of envy when someone is better than me at certain things (usually just computer tech, for some reason).

RE: Catholicism discussion:
I think Envy is probably my worst too.

@Talvi:

I just listened to that music you posted and what the hell Talvi I had no idea you could even do that. Seriously, that was amazing. HOW DO YOU DO THAT. TEACH ME.
o.o Uh... Teach you? How do I do what? I don't understand... You just... put down notes? :-\ I get that you're indirectly complimenting me, and really, that makes me feel pretty good, but I don't get what I'm doing that's special. :P I thought it was kind of obvious you could write music in MuseScore... that's what I got it for.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:59:17 am by Talvieno »
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, I could not comfortably hit those, which is why I basically said, "You know what, screw it" and started singing the song again a few notes higher in pitch. :P Those notes I could comfortably hit. I never said anything about comfortably, though. :P I just wanted to prove I could hit them... but I failed, wore out my voice and it got all raw and scratchy in the lower register. Ah, well. You still win, though. :P You have the deeper voice.

You're still the better singer :p

Hmmm... Most of that (besides when I was trying to show my highest and lowest points (and that awful falsetto) was comfortable, I just started to waver later on because I got past the "mindless charge headlong into danger" stage and into the "wait a minute, I'm singing on a mic ._." stage.

I know that feel, bro. Also, yeah, if you're a dude it's probably best not to falsetto unless you're intentionally trying to camp it up :V

True. I'll have to test myself against musescore... which means I'll have to be inside. No way am I taking my laptop outdoors. :P

May be best to also note where your optimal range is. For example, I can technically sing roughly D2-C4, but I sound increasingly-awful as I go up past C3.

No, no - you win fair and square, your voice is much deeper than mine.

Mmmm... can I clear up a possible misconception here? When referring to voices, "Deep" and "Low" aren't the same thing, technically speaking (at least according to a voice coach I spoke with). Referring back to the Fach system, the primary difference between hoher bass and bassa catante (I think, please do not quote me on this) is that hoher bass is deeper while bassa catante is light and lyrical (but still low). Exact same pitch range, different depth of tone and such.

My specialty is sheet music. I can read it and get a feel for how it sounds, but I'm not able to pick out notes by ear - that's a rare talent, and if I understand correctly, can't actually be learned. (Can't remember where I read that, though, or what it's called. Probably Mr Frog.)

Well, it seems theoretically-possible for one to teach themselves that this is what a C2 sounds like, this is what a C#2 sounds like, this is what a D2 sounds like, and so on, but it'd be really hard.

Also, I'd love to collab with Mr Frog. :D Would be fun. Still need to get him on Skype, though. >.> I think I posted that my skype name is Talvieno somewhere.

I don't believe I have the Skype on this box... and, as Splint (I think) has noted, the half-second lag between systems would complicate things greatly.

o.o Uh... Teach you? How do I do what? I don't understand... You just... put down notes? :-\ I get that you're indirectly complimenting me, and really, that makes me feel pretty good, but I don't get what I'm doing that's special. :P I thought it was kind of obvious you could write music in MuseScore... that's what I got it for.

I know how to use MuseScore, silly, but I just don't seem to have any actual ability to compose. :V  Drives me nuts.

Well not vain really, because I don't give the damndest what anyone else thinks of me, but proud yes.

I'm pretty sure believing oneself to be above shame and reproach is as prideful as one can get. That's what every narcissist thinks.

@Talvi:

Can we get some Vanya up in this bitch in the near future? It's starting to niggle at me that we've barely had any actual Spearbreakers content in the last ~50 posts.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Well not vain really, because I don't give the damndest what anyone else thinks of me, but proud yes.

I'm pretty sure believing oneself to be above shame and reproach is as prideful as one can get. That's what every narcissist thinks.

Hmm... I've thought for a while now that I'm dangerously close to narcissistic. If so, I am the worst kind of narcissist, a self-depreciating one. >.< At any rate, I'm far from above shame and if someone reproaches me by calling out a legitimate flaw, I may not accept it right away and I may lash-out a bit, but I will ( after a few minutes ) concede they are correct, admit my flaw, and make genuine steps to amend it. Well, okay, more the first two things than the third. Largely because my largest flaw is my all-consuming laziness which subverts most attempts at self-betterment by constant procrastination and/or quitting far too easily. Really and truly, I'm a whole gamut of human flaws. ( I possess a few of the virtues, but not near enough to even remotely balance. Nonetheless, people seem to think I'm worth keeping around, so I use that to make myself feel as though I'm worth sticking around, irregardless of whether or not I truly deserve to keep living. Honestly though, before you go thinking anything you might not, I deserve to die far less than I deserve to live, simply due to the challenge living provides me. O'course, there's always the threat of eternal damnation, which one has to presume is worse than anything this life can throw at you, but sometimes I think the temporary peace of the in-between might be worth it. Then I remember it's really, really not. If nothing else, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. At least you guys keep me from all the woeful self-examination and malevolent existentialism. Though to be honest, those only hit me in moods. And to be honest again, I'm rambling. I'm gonna cut this off now before I make an even bigger idiot of myself than I already have. ) My bravado is largely a farce Mr Frog, but a necessary one for me to be able to function. So... yeah. A melodramatic narcissist. Should be fun to have me around. I know just this morning one of my friends was commenting on how amusing I am to watch when I've been wound up.

EDIT: Speaking of narcissism... Go here, do this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138012.0
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:56:18 pm by CaptainMcClellan »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Our opinion differs on that slightly. :P

I know that feel, bro. Also, yeah, if you're a dude it's probably best not to falsetto unless you're intentionally trying to camp it up :V
Yup, but I was just curious to see exactly how high I could go... I just wasn't expecting a smooth transition to falsetto.  :-\ I expected there to be some kind of "jump" somewhere. (I never play around with that part of my vocal range, so I didn't know. Plus, I don't like listening to myself much, so.)

May be best to also note where your optimal range is. For example, I can technically sing roughly D2-C4, but I sound increasingly-awful as I go up past C3.

It makes sense. I still need an opportunity.

Mmmm... can I clear up a possible misconception here? When referring to voices, "Deep" and "Low" aren't the same thing, technically speaking (at least according to a voice coach I spoke with). Referring back to the Fach system, the primary difference between hoher bass and bassa catante (I think, please do not quote me on this) is that hoher bass is deeper while bassa catante is light and lyrical (but still low). Exact same pitch range, different depth of tone and such.
You're right, I was using it wrong... You're both deeper, and lower, than me. So I'm still technically correct. XD

I don't believe I have the Skype on this box... and, as Splint (I think) has noted, the half-second lag between systems would complicate things greatly.
I didn't really mean singing at the same time - rather more of just talking. :P I get not having Skype, though, so no issue.

I know how to use MuseScore, silly, but I just don't seem to have any actual ability to compose. :V  Drives me nuts.
...oh. :-\ Well, I guess... hmm... huh. Okay, when I write music, I listen to what I have so far, and then imagine how my mind expects it to sound next... and then, once I have that firmly in my head, I write it out with notation... Sometimes I have to listen to what I already have a couple times to be sure. I'm entirely self-taught... I've been interested in music since I was four, I just never really got into it because I never had the resources available until I was much, much older.

@Talvi:

Can we get some Vanya up in this bitch in the near future? It's starting to niggle at me that we've barely had any actual Spearbreakers content in the last ~50 posts.
It's coming. I'm just waiting for Reudh to give the go-ahead (I used one of his characters in the next chapter, and I don't want to get his character wrong).

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile

Our opinion differs on that slightly. :P
@Talvi:

It's coming. I'm just waiting for Reudh to give the go-ahead (I used one of his characters in the next chapter, and I don't want to get his character wrong).
Naturally it would...

Yay! I'm really glad to hear there's more story coming. (Even if I haven't yet read the story we have... at least not completely. )

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the meantime, I have done a dafuq.

Spoiler: click to enlarge (click to show/hide)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

In the meantime, I have done a dafuq.

Spoiler: click to enlarge (click to show/hide)

Dafuq's definitely the word for it :P

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That old pic of Joseph makes me want to die ._.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uhhhh... why? :-\ I rather liked it...

edit:
And yay for bizarre desktop background (I fixed a few things (sort of... you can at least see all the pictures now. :-\)). reedit: don't use it as a desktop background. :P Can't tell where your icons are.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was originally hoping to make a background for the wiki, as we've needed one for some time now... But we don't have a single image that adequately screams "SPEARBREAKERS"... So I got the bright idea to just mush a bunch of images together with a panorama editor... And it didn't have quite the same effect as I'd hoped.

double edit: looks like I uploaded the wrong pic.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:56:38 am by Talvieno »
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 815