Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 240115 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #1125 on: January 08, 2010, 06:21:07 pm »

I hope not, the lag combined with the odd controls makes it hard for me to play adventure mode. I could never really get into it.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: January 08, 2010, 07:59:55 pm »

I hope not, the lag combined with the odd controls makes it hard for me to play adventure mode. I could never really get into it.

The resolution of those issues is bound to be nearer-term than the grand unification of adventurer and fortress mode anyway, so I wouldn't worry.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 08, 2010, 11:07:10 pm »

Yeah, the Toady told us that the final destination is to totally merge both modes. But we go offtopic too far.

Oh sweet; I've always personally thought that that's the way it "ought" to be. Nice to know Toady agrees.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: January 09, 2010, 10:57:30 am »

Kind of old, but I was reminded by a post about it (the title really, not the subject). There is already, in a way, culture in DF. In fact, I once had a goblin group who just about always wore iron masks. I pictured them as sort of like the samurai armor masks to make them look scarier and more threatening.

I thought it was pretty cool and I'm looking forward to more instances of distinct cultures in DF.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 09, 2010, 02:23:21 pm »

You know, that can probably more easily be explained by randomness than by culture, but I can't blame you for wanting to believe otherwise.

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: January 09, 2010, 02:56:29 pm »

I just noticed that thrown rocks are more effective than I thought before. At least if they hit the head. (Which they hadn't really done before)

Here I snuck up on a guard and threw a single rock in his head.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I long for aiming to be implemented.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:59:23 pm by AfterShave »
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 09, 2010, 05:42:21 pm »

If it is implemented, it'll probably be a little like the aiming system in Fallout 1 and 2, only we won't know the percentage chance of hitting a place. ;D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: January 10, 2010, 03:18:20 pm »

Playing as a kobold adventurer and trying to customize its name, the game will tell you the language is unintelligible and can't be translated.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: January 10, 2010, 04:25:16 pm »

Not an adventure mode thing, but I just noticed that decorating buckets with bone can give them a handle. I have a bunch of masterwork copper buckets with goblin bone handles now.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: January 10, 2010, 05:07:12 pm »

Both that kobold and that handle thing are a nice touch. Man, I love this game.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 10, 2010, 08:29:22 pm »

You know, that can probably more easily be explained by randomness than by culture, but I can't blame you for wanting to believe otherwise.

Actually it is true, different civilizations have different styles of clothing.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: January 10, 2010, 08:53:40 pm »

Different entities perhaps, according to their raws, but different civilizations based on the same identity? [CITATION NEEDED]

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: January 10, 2010, 09:11:52 pm »

Different entities perhaps, according to their raws, but different civilizations based on the same identity? [CITATION NEEDED]

That's what those COMMON, UNCOMMON, and RARE arguments at the end of the armor/clothing tags in the entity file are for.

Those tags dictate the likelihood of whether a civilization is able to produce those clothings. You can see this for yourself by mucking around with the file and checking the clothery/leatherworks in Fortress Mode.

Presumably, civilization citizens have equal chances of being generated with any clothing item their civ allows them to have.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:14:54 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 10, 2010, 09:16:49 pm »

I'm not sure if we're on the same page here. How would that make this anything but random? Yes, one of your civs might end up with more masks than usual, but I don't see how that could be called culture, unless there were non-random factors involved.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: January 10, 2010, 09:43:51 pm »

I'm not sure if we're on the same page here. How would that make this anything but random? Yes, one of your civs might end up with more masks than usual, but I don't see how that could be called culture, unless there were non-random factors involved.

One word: IMAGINATION! :P

So what if it was random, but its nice to have them show up with something a bit different once in a while.

It wasn't just more masks than usual, it was every single member from that civ. Plus we're talking about military units rather than civillian units (merchants for example) here.

Things are going to be more complex (well, a little biit, not a whole lot) in the next release culture wise.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 95