Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: How the outside world sees us  (Read 28986 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How the outside world sees us
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2016, 10:02:27 am »

You're obviously hard core if you can sit still for 1 hour or more on one game.

/snark

ChrisLeJohn

• Bay Watcher
  • For your health
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2016, 12:22:13 pm »

When I worked at Gamestop I told a co-worker I played DF and his face twisted in confusion. He then went on to tell the manager that day, I remember, he pointed at me from across the store and said:

"Him...he strikes the Earth!"

Absolutely hysterical.
I just learned how to spell escargot.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2016, 12:53:24 pm »

This game is probably the closest thing that the world has so far gotten to artificial intelligence. The dwarves get angry if they don't talk to their friends enough. This game is unexplainably complex. We are gods to even comprehend this game. Like gods, we cheat, forget the rules, or lose control of what is happning. Then, we leave the world to it's fate, and watch as a world gets created from the ground up. A world with it's own civilisations, goals, peoples, heroes, cultures, and even coinage. This game... Is incredible. I barely understand it. And most of us all probably have a hard time with this game.
But this is not the end...
This is not may be where sanity and all good things die...
But this is not madness...
THIS
IS
DWARF
FORTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

kicks elf off of tree house
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:55:32 pm by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2016, 03:45:54 am »

THIS
IS
DWARF
FORTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

kicks elf off of tree house
I wanna make a gif of that.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2016, 04:16:53 am »

I was quite euphoric about DF a few weeks ago and told almost everyone about it.
So when i asked a buddy from our SoftAir-team, he was surprised that i actually played it.
He told that he tried it a long time ago and just couldn't get anything done as it was way too complicated and frustrating.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2016, 07:57:50 pm »

It took me sitting down for somewhere from a week to a month to learn DF. It's a totally key board controlled game, which is what throws almost everyone off. It's a game that could be played on an OS that doesn't even support mouse use if you wanted. And I think that's where most of the confusion lies. You can't click on the UI like other management games, prison architect for example. Also it's super in depth and has old school 2D/ascii graphics. But the graphics and the UI aren't the reason we play.

For me it's reading a combat log detailing how my squad of ten dwarves heroically fought against the first goblin ambush of the fledgling fort that is barely self sufficient.
Or how I trade exotic creatures from the levees that I will later use to rip them to shreds.
Or how I can lock a vampire in my colosseum and drop captives in there to fight to the death, and after years of death row I consider the vampire "forgiven" and throw them on eternal patrol duty in the surface to fight off the horses of goblin, human, and elf ambushes.
Or how the world is generated in such amazing detail, and as a person who enjoys stories and writing I can appreciate the world building.
Or how I can think of the craziest wildest creature and put it in the game within the hour. And even make it a playable race.

Honestly there a tons of reasons. I love dwarf fortress.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2016, 02:32:09 pm »

At a camping event some guys came over to help my family set up our tent, and when I mentioned that I and my two younger siblings play Dwarf Fortress one of the guys actually bowed before us and said "I am not worthy!" It was kind of hilarious, this late-twenties guy kowtowing before barely-adult me and my barely-teenaged sister (my brother wasn't there at the time). I remember shrugging and going "it's... not that big a deal..." or something. Mind you, this was an SCA event, so probably not quite a representative example of how non-nerds would react.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2016, 02:51:01 pm »

My goodness.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2016, 11:59:59 am »

I'm definitly glad to see how this post has grown. I honestly forgot to check on it for quite some time. Thank you all for contributing! :D

Knightl

• Bay Watcher
  • Slightly mad- A happy mad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2016, 01:05:01 am »

I've played for years with the Phoebus tileset but never used Therapist, it's not too hard to manage idk

Extremely rarely, you'll see peasants without a bed or booze achieve it, because their life is shit.

Julesy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2016, 10:29:28 pm »

My friends basically regard me as elf hitler due to my angry rants about them and my projects which were... "less kind" to the elves. They're happy to hear me talk about it mostly due to its absurdity, but won't touch the game itself due to its confusing graphics. One of them even regards the game as "boring". I tell him he's not in the right mindset to play and you have to be imaginative, but he never listens.

The only person I've ever gotten remotely interested in the game was a Chinese exchange student who often saw me on the Dwarf Fortress subreddit when I'm mean't to be doing humanities.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2016, 07:47:33 am »

That's one thing I don't like about the community. The elf hate. Why? Yes, they're only useful for bringing fruit and exotic animals, but that's still a use. Nowadays, you have to deforest the whole embark in a year to break the tree cap. Elves don't bother me and I don't bother them.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2016, 10:22:16 am »

That's one thing I don't like about the community. The elf hate. Why? Yes, they're only useful for bringing fruit and exotic animals, but that's still a use. Nowadays, you have to deforest the whole embark in a year to break the tree cap. Elves don't bother me and I don't bother them.

A lot of the hate comes from when the tree cap actually worked; it didn't work out of the box for DF2010 or 2012; it only recently came back without DFHack. That combined with trees were single tile and thus only a single log meant real production problems if you didn't have coal with them insulting you the entire way.

I don't mind the hippies THAT much, but I really get ticked off year after year being called a butcher. Though if you actually get the diplomat to show up without chopping a single log, you get a different message then he leaves.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2016, 11:06:50 am »

As far as I'm concerned, they're more delicious than annoying. Cloth is useful if you're bad about maintaining a

Being an elven adventurer is interesting though. A decent mix of challenging and easy, trending towards easy later on. For a megabeast-hunter, it's just as bad an idea as playing ANYTHING small, while otherwise you have crappy gear versus being ignored by mundane animals. And bad gear is easy to fix.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

thoushaltcallmelars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2016, 10:07:29 pm »

Some of the most historical succession games (Boatmurdered, Headshoots, and the like) being from SomethingAwful may have something to do with it, frankly.

The rest of it probably the same problem Nethack has: it has more fans than actual players thanks to the ASCII graphics.
Overseer Lars cancels Fortress Mode; Raging at his own stupidity.

Suffice to say, I shall forever associate all dyers with Bomrek Romekas, The Dyer, who slew four dwarves (and wounded a speardwarf) and a wardog while alive, without weapons, armor, or even clothing, before rising from the dead to rip three dwarves' limbs off. Wasn't even combat with the ghost, just "<ghost> batters <dwarf>" and I look and there's a leg, a sock, and a pool of blood.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11