Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1003541 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1665 on: October 01, 2012, 11:08:33 pm »

Ja. Ich bin schule bus.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: October 02, 2012, 01:46:16 am »

Speaking of missing courses, what the hell happened to having Latin taught in high school?
Nothing, why?

Ja. Ich bin schule bus.
Beep beep.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: October 02, 2012, 04:58:26 am »

My high school only offered French and Spanish. I took the former and had a blast all three years.

...Wait, you only start learning languages in high school over there?
Love, scriver~

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: October 02, 2012, 05:06:11 am »

I took spanish for two years in middle school, but it's not required over here. All you need to do is take two years of a language in high school to graduate. But I'm pretty sure that varies from state to state.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: October 02, 2012, 05:56:47 am »

My high school only offered French and Spanish. I took the former and had a blast all three years.

...Wait, you only start learning languages in high school over there?
We're Americans(I think?) we only learn other languages to tell people to stop speaking 'em, don't make me bust out the Team America theme.
That said, my school didn't have latin but my school's had a pretty steady stream of budget cuts, so that was probably one of the classes lost. It's a shame too because I kinda wanted to learn latin.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: October 02, 2012, 07:05:50 am »

My school has Finnish, English, Swedish, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Latin. I'm only fluent in the first two, as for Swedish my skill in it mainly consists of "Jag pratar inte Svenska." I did study French in grades 3-5, but remember nothing of it.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: October 02, 2012, 07:10:00 am »

* kaijyuu is a dirty monolinguistic.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: October 02, 2012, 07:18:28 am »

Oh hell naw, don't tell me Monolinguistics are a dirty minority, too?! I cop enough flak for being heterosexual! D:

[/notquiteserious]
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: October 02, 2012, 07:33:45 am »

I'm taking German 1.

All that we've relly been taught are greetings, goodbyes, basic commands (plural and singular), basic questions and answers, months, days, colors, descriptions of temperature, and a shitload of other adjectives.

I can try to piece together basic sentences. (Mein Shulefarben bist dunkelblau und gold. ?)

Also, so many things are sexual references in German. You don't say "Ich bin gut." That means "I'm good. In bed." You say "Mir ist Gut." Me is good?
You don't say "Ich bin (whatever the word for hot is. hei(esset)?)" That means "LET'S DO IT RIGHT NOW!" I do believe it's "mir ist" again.
You need to call people "gro(esset)" (big) or "klein" (small). You don't get any points for guessing what it means if you call someone short or long.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: October 02, 2012, 08:42:12 am »

Learn to speak Chinese, German, English, and Afrikaans, and you'll be able to speak with probably over half the world population.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: October 02, 2012, 09:06:50 am »

That's kinda amazing to think about. Lots of language convergence (and I suppose population explosion of certain language speakers) means we're about a billion times closer to a universal language than ever before.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: October 02, 2012, 09:08:38 am »

Forget that, the worst part of German is that "my friend" is romantic and "the friend" is platonic.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: October 02, 2012, 09:49:03 am »

At best, I'm trilingual. At worst, bilingual. And only one of the three is considered lingua franca. Hooray me!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: October 02, 2012, 09:51:01 am »

I'm bilingual if you are speaking about speaking the language fluidly (Dutch and English), trilingual if you dont count latin and are a bit loose with "speaking the laguage fluidly" (French) and... Quadlingual (?) if you count Latin.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: October 02, 2012, 10:01:27 am »

Learn to speak Chinese, German, English, and Afrikaans, and you'll be able to speak with probably over half the world population.

Forgot Spanish. That's more than a continent worth of people.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 510