Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1001156 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5250 on: June 23, 2013, 07:00:43 pm »

It was actually a series of things that led up to him insulting trans people. That game was just one of them.

Read both of his posts here ("Well that escalated quickly", and "Going one step further") to get a better idea as to the situation.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: June 23, 2013, 07:03:56 pm »

If you are talking about the convention thing, unless he actually flat out lied in those post you linked, I can't fault him much for that. He gets reports that things he is not in charge of directly are doing something bad, he replies that he is not in control of them. Flood of hate mail.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: June 23, 2013, 07:10:44 pm »

That's... not what we're talking about. He did get a flood of hate mail for that and no one's faulting him for being pissed. They're faulting him (and he's apologizing for) what he said afterward.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: June 23, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »

Also, reading through that discussion that I missed for some reason:
(I'm not aware of homosexual people disliking transsexual people).

It doesn't get much press outside of LGBT groups, but there are all sorts of things. Like lesbian meetups and things disallowing trans women but allowing trans men to come in. And sexually, most gay men won't touch any trans people while lesbians tend to claim both trans men and women. There are a lot of issues.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: June 23, 2013, 07:16:38 pm »

That's... not what we're talking about. He did get a flood of hate mail for that and no one's faulting him for being pissed. They're faulting him (and he's apologizing for) what he said afterward.
Alright well in the information you provided (which I did read previously, but have read again to make sure) He mentions two more things about that incident.

I said again that if they have a different opinion they are welcome to submit their own panel.
I said if you use the word “cis” don’t bother tweeting me.

Additionally on the day this was uploaded I went and checked his twitter and it had a few more examples in the same vein.

Is that what you mean? Because after that, he talks about what I said a few posts ago.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: June 23, 2013, 07:24:18 pm »

I've lost track of what we're actually trying to resolve here.

The game and the backlash from that panel are both Things that Happened that contributed to Mr. Krahulik making some gaffes relating to trans people which he is now apologizing for. This discussion was/is about his gaffes and about some questions people had about transgender issues. If you want specific gaffes, here's one:
I said I think a game about female masturbation that only has vaginas made sense because women have vaginas and men have a penis.
(it was followed pretty much immediately by an apology, at least in his post)

Not totally sure if I'm answering what you want.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: June 23, 2013, 07:32:57 pm »

THIS IS THE STUPID THREAD
THEREFORE I WILL POST SOMETHING STUPID
I ONCE BELIEVED THAT THERE WERE NO DIFFERENCES IN SKIN COLOR IN THE WORLD
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: June 23, 2013, 07:35:58 pm »

i am not sure in which way this is stupid

this could be surprisingly profound if interpreted in the manner i interpreted it at first

stop sneaking wisdom inside your stupidity you're messing with my miiiiiiind

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: June 23, 2013, 07:39:16 pm »

this could be surprisingly profound if interpreted in the manner i interpreted it at first

See, it's actually really wierd because I knew at least 7 Indian kids in my school and I couldn't tell that they weren't white people.
Sig! Onol

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: June 23, 2013, 07:40:40 pm »

I've lost track of what we're actually trying to resolve here
The root of what I am trying to get across, is this.
I do not believe Mr. Krahulik is a bigot, just ignorant. When someone says something as monumentally stupid as "[only] women have vaginas and [only] men have a penis" they're either ignorant or transphobic. There's no real room for anything else. Mr. Krahulik does not really strike me as transphobic so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and just assume he's ignorant.

The bolded parts are things you added to the quote, he did not say that. And there is a huge difference between saying only and not saying only. The italicized parts are where I believe you are sorta wrong.

It's the difference between maliciousness/massive stupidity and a seriously understandable mistake. But, the information given in this thread and that I have found though light searching does not show what it was.

Your post leaves no alternative, he is ignorant, or he is malicious. And quite frankly, eliminating any other possible interpretation you have left out or bent the truth.

That is what I have a issue with, of course, by the time I actually read your post, it was already quite a bit past the point where I could bring myself to care. But then it was brought back up again by someone else as the truth. Which I objected to.

Not totally sure if I'm answering what you want.

I don't so much want anything from you in particular so much to present a alternative viewpoint that was eliminated from this thread by falsehoods instead of truths.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: June 23, 2013, 07:44:13 pm »

He's admitted he was ignorant and the [only]s in there were definitely implied...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: June 23, 2013, 07:47:56 pm »

See, it's actually really wierd because I knew at least 7 Indian kids in my school and I couldn't tell that they weren't white people.
How the...

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: June 23, 2013, 08:16:43 pm »

He's admitted he was ignorant and the [only]s in there were definitely implied...
Like hell they were. If you don't add the 'only's then suddenly he's neither malicious nor ignorant. He's stating a fact. "People who are physically [sex] have [penises/vaginas]". If they don't, then they aren't. A game about female masturbation has to have vaginas.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: June 23, 2013, 08:25:21 pm »

How the...
No idea.
Sig! Onol

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: June 23, 2013, 08:28:23 pm »

He's stating a fact.
Well, it's not a fact. That's the whole point of the outcry. What it is is a understandable and fairly forgivable mistake.

Or fuck. Maliciousness.

Or Massive stupidity.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 510