Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1003507 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #7305 on: November 14, 2013, 04:18:47 am »

The connotations that priests good and witches evil, however, exists in stated media. However you wanna handle that.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: November 14, 2013, 04:25:54 am »

Well if that is true maybe I should expose myself to more media than just Discworld books...

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: November 14, 2013, 06:22:04 am »

Or other than Harry Potter books. Or more generally, a lot of the stuff in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_witches .

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: November 14, 2013, 08:58:46 am »

Now I don't want to offend here, as an atheist I see pretty much all faiths on even footing. If you believe there is something sacred about pointed, wide brimmed hats then at least they are far more useful than that thing the pope wears, but still...
If I were saying believing that because in a video game a priest has certain mythical powers that doesn't mean in real life the christian church has special magical powers, nobody would bat an eye. It would be a sane and rational comment. So why is pointing out that there is a difference between witches in fictitious media and the beliefs of real life wiccans is offensive?

In real life there are not priests who run about healing people with glowing hands. It just doesn't happen, it is fictional, they don't exist, and you understand that I'm talking about a different thing to clergymen right? Well it is the same deal. Not all Witches are of the wiccan verity.
Ah, they don't have healing spells - but haven't you wondered why we have mass wine, incense, holy water and the eucharist? And that's not even considering the stuff our exorcists can do...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: November 14, 2013, 09:43:26 am »

Physically and mentally abuse people who should be in the care of a mental health professional?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: November 14, 2013, 09:46:17 am »

Exactly, they're great at inflicting long-lasting debuffs.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: November 14, 2013, 12:03:50 pm »

Quote from:  A friend
Him: Light takes 24 years to get here from Alpha Centauri
Me: But it's 4,3 lightyears away, shouldn't it take 4,3 years?
Him: No, I did the maths.
Cue me trying to explain to him why it takes 4,3 years for light to reach us from a place 4,3 lightyears away, and eventually being dismissed by "Jeez, why do you keep going on about this?"

Yeah, if I say "no, you're wrong, it works like this" and you say "no im right" I should just fuck off?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: November 14, 2013, 12:14:38 pm »

Quote from:  A friend
Him: Light takes 24 years to get here from Alpha Centauri
Me: But it's 4,3 lightyears away, shouldn't it take 4,3 years?
Him: No, I did the maths.
Cue me trying to explain to him why it takes 4,3 years for light to reach us from a place 4,3 lightyears away, and eventually being dismissed by "Jeez, why do you keep going on about this?"

Yeah, if I say "no, you're wrong, it works like this" and you say "no im right" I should just fuck off?
Slap him. With a book. Preferably a math, science, physics, or astronomy book. Anything by Carl Sagan on Neil deGrasse Tyson would also be acceptable.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: November 14, 2013, 12:16:57 pm »

He told this to me because we were doing some physics exercises about light and so and one of the exercises we had to make was about this (but that one we didn't have to make today, w/e).

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: November 14, 2013, 12:19:35 pm »

What kinds of maths did he do? Everyone knows that the reason it's called a light year is because it takes a YEAR for LIGHT to travel that distance.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: November 14, 2013, 12:20:36 pm »

What kinds of maths did he do? Everyone knows that the reason it's called a light year is because it takes a YEAR for LIGHT to travel that distance.
Maybe he knows nothing about special relativity and thinks that we're moving apart at 6c?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: November 14, 2013, 12:25:40 pm »

Maybe he think space is actually made of Germanium.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: November 14, 2013, 12:33:30 pm »

Although that does remind me, earlier today, on a whim, I did some quick calculations and worked out that between the Earth and the Sun there are about 6*10^24 hydrogen atoms (assuming one atom per cubic metre). That seems like way too large a number, even though it's not really that big considering.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: November 14, 2013, 12:34:38 pm »

He converted lightyears down to kilometres and then divided the amount of kilometers with c in km.

I tried to explain him that a lightyear is a lightyear because it's the distance light travles in a year, but he just vaguely said "we need time, not distance"

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: November 14, 2013, 12:46:52 pm »

Maybe he think space is actually made of Germanium.

with all the secret nazis in space it might as well
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 510