Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 240177 times)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2009, 03:17:20 pm »

Uhh, can you post a link to the library you use dasleah? My results turned up with a version for python 1.4.1

It's libtcod, as in the first post. You've confused the version number of the library for the version number of Python - libtcodpy (the Python port) is at v1.4.1. I'm using Python v2.5.2.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2009, 03:42:11 pm »

Hmm, good idea.  I still like my 3d array because my map is 3d (because I'm crazy--not recommended), but replacing the vectors with vector*s with null for empty is a decent idea.

I would *not* go so far as to make creatures a linked list.  I mean, I could imagine someone saying "each tile has a pointer to a creature or null, and each creature has a pointer to the next creature on the tile", but that way lies madness.  If you were coding twenty years ago that would be worthwhile, but not today.

Er... it would make more sense for each *creature* to have a pointer to the tile it's sitting on. And what would be the alternative to a linked list of creatures? A fixed array, so you can only have a maximum of X ever? Or are you going to realloc() your creature array whenever you need to add a new one and just hope that you have enough contiguous memory free?

You could just use a vector. Those things do rescale pretty well.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2009, 06:46:05 pm »

Er... it would make more sense for each *creature* to have a pointer to the tile it's sitting on.
I have each critter store its coordinates on itself, but that's equally good.

And what would be the alternative to a linked list of creatures? A fixed array, so you can only have a maximum of X ever? Or are you going to realloc() your creature array whenever you need to add a new one and just hope that you have enough contiguous memory free?

You misunderstand...though I do store my creatures in a vector of Creatures on the map, and a vector of Creatures in each tile, which is close enough for me.  Storing them in a linked list is just as good.

What I was suggesting against is turning each creature into both a creature and a storage data type, where its properties are "name, hit points, next critter in the list".  Eh, I guess that's something you only see in old old game servers, and nothing modern.  Using standard containers is so much easier, and it'll get your game out the door so much faster, with still almost no overhead.

Oh I gotcha - my misunderstanding. Not enough coffee. :)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2009, 08:21:38 pm »

TREEEEEZ!

Fractal Brownian Motion FTW!

I used this, which I'm assuming is fBm.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2009, 08:47:06 pm »

Looking good, Fenris and Dasleah!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2009, 12:53:34 am »

Spoilered for big image...  This dome-on-another-planet isn't too interesting right now, but at least the player can scroll the map with arrow keys, and move "B" with the little useful block of six keys on a standard keyboard.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(better dome uploaded)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:01:46 am by Sowelu »

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2009, 01:01:16 am »

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen a roguelike that used hexagonal movement, nice work.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2009, 01:04:10 am »

Does anyone know any other Tutorials written in the same style as Terror in ASCII dungeon? I have a primer but it's nigh impossible for me to read it and take it in.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2009, 01:04:14 am »

This isn't the first hex roguelike I ever saw, not the one that inspired me, but it's the only one I can find offhand:
http://www.hexatron.com/hexrogue/index.html
The project that screenshot is from is not quite a roguelike, it's a little bit more DF-ish, but it's close enough in terms of graphics and programming challenges.  :D

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2009, 08:00:25 am »

Does anyone know any other Tutorials written in the same style as Terror in ASCII dungeon? I have a primer but it's nigh impossible for me to read it and take it in.

RogueLulz, Part I: Drawing the Map, Walking Around, Basic Monsters and Attacking worked for me (C general Resources of this thread):
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2007/11/29/5715/1869

some day I will you show what I did, but I have yet to implement a pathfinding system and a couple more things... wich I don't really know how to do... I have to make some time to learn to use the micropather library...

Oh... And If someone knows a nice clean algorithm to make animations based on time (like zapping a wand in ADOM) I would appreciate it.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2009, 08:50:31 am »

Having no prior experience in anything vaguely resembling programming or game creation, I've decided to take up this challenge.

Edit: Where do I go to write the code? This is more difficult than it looks.

Edit Edit: Metapad lets me save things as source code. Got that out of the way, now to figure out how to do things.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:03:20 am by penguinofhonor »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2009, 09:36:04 am »

Out of curiosity, what language are you using, Penguin?
!!&!!

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2009, 10:02:35 am »

Now I'm facing the rather perplexing challenge of deciding how to generate Valhalla. I want it to look like a hall, but it's the only structure that the player will ever see, so it must be interesting.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2009, 10:46:54 am »

If it's the only structure in the game, perhaps consider hand-crafting it?  Or perhaps a combination of hand-crafted parts combined with generated corridors and the like.

On the subject of roguelikes with hex grids:
They certainly look very good, though I think the grid ought to be oriented so that the player can move in a straight line from left to right, while up and down are diagonals.  I think this feels most natural unless the game moves vertically. (vertical hex-grid shooter or tower defense or something)

Also: Possible ASCII tower defense. Is this awesome? (Y/N)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2009, 12:22:42 pm »

Oh... And If someone knows a nice clean algorithm to make animations based on time (like zapping a wand in ADOM) I would appreciate it.

Assuming you're using some sort of sprite-based animation, you could load all pictures into an array, set a variable to 0, load the first picture using the variable and increment the variable by one. Rinse and repeat, by putting the code that increases the aforementioned variable in the loop that gouverns the game.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 72