Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6002 6003 [6004] 6005 6006 ... 10988

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13446059 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #90045 on: November 15, 2015, 10:59:18 am »

Yay, a laundromat within walking distance opened up.

When my mother dropped me off, she suggested I get a haircut. Yes, my hair is pretty long. It's also cold outside. My hair is not getting cut until Spring.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90046 on: November 15, 2015, 11:15:44 am »

I met a guy named Arthur once.  Last name, no joke, was King.
I could have sworn there was a book series called 'Arthur King' but I can't seem to find mention of it on the internet. Weird.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90047 on: November 15, 2015, 11:33:26 am »

Isn't one of the characters on TV series The King of Queens named Arthur King?

EDIT: Finally getting around to copying my old hard drive to the 2TB drive. ETA is continuing to increase, over 8 hours from this post. Then again, it'd probably go faster if one wasn't using a jury-rigged SATA-IDE converter and the other wasn't also using a SATA-IDE-USB converter and plugged into a USB 2.0 slot. :-\
I can't use either drive in this state.

PRE-EDIT-EDIT: Just dropped down to 5 hours.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:40:59 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90048 on: November 15, 2015, 02:26:43 pm »

Good luck, I've been meaning to recover an old drive too...  I keep putting it off.  Guess it's mostly stable, in storage, but still.

I just read "tenpines" as "tenpenny's".  In a Fallout game, but still...
Also I realized that seconds are roughly the same duration as a healthy (by our standards) heartrate, but couldn't find any indication that that was the inspiration.  Apparently the ancients just liked making things divisible by as many numbers as convenient.  (2, 3, and 5)

As someone who loves 7, and is used to using binary/base 2, this is somewhat remarkable.  I get the logic, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #90049 on: November 15, 2015, 02:42:55 pm »

The average fairly healthy heart rate is 80 beats per minute, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #90050 on: November 15, 2015, 02:54:24 pm »

The average fairly healthy heart rate is 80 beats per minute, though.
Heart rate is one of those things that while the "average" is pretty specific, it covers a huge range. Generally anything from 60-100 can be considered a normal "healthy" heart rate, depending on the person. People in my family, for example, tend to rest really low, often down in the low 60's, while I have some friends who rest all of the way up in the upper 80's; it's just a case-by-case thing mostly.

It's still far enough off I wouldn't subscribe seconds to heart rate though, especially since the actual way we got seconds is that we had hours first from the ancient Egyptians (who defined it as 1/12th of the day/night), then divided that into 60 smaller pieces called "minutes", then divided each of those a second time by 60 to get "second minutes", which we abbreviated to "seconds" over time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90051 on: November 15, 2015, 03:05:58 pm »

I had heard that much of our numbers and measurements of time(such as 60 seconds to a minute) are based on Zoroastrianism systems. (the article does not show that, but it is still interesting to read)

I don't remeber where I heard that.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90052 on: November 15, 2015, 03:09:07 pm »

I heard it on Wikipedia
Not on your link!  On the page for Seconds, checking for their inspiration.  The page says Persians, but as far as I understand, that means Zoroastrians.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90053 on: November 15, 2015, 03:22:20 pm »

Speaking of Batman, that's where I have to go today.
Disappointingly the place name apparently isn't pronounced quite the same as the superhero, but fuck that I'll sing the Batman themesong whenever it's mentioned anyway.

Rage/WTF: Couldn't get to sleep. For hours. After I went to bed at a reasonable (by my current standards) time, through great force of will.
I maybe dozed a little but I don't think I got any proper, deep sleep.
Really need to make the effort to fix my sleeping patterns someday soon. My housemates usually stay up really late, though, and it's so easy to wind up doing stuff with them instead of sleeping. Also my current videogame climate means my sleep pattern probably isn't gonna improve for a long time. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #90054 on: November 15, 2015, 03:44:44 pm »

It seems no one has noticed me switching avatars. I can't decide if it's a good or a bad sign.
._.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #90055 on: November 15, 2015, 03:51:46 pm »

It seems no one has noticed me switching avatars. I can't decide if it's a good or a bad sign.
what a nineball

seriously though, it's very rare for an avatar change to merit comment even when it is noticed, so i wouldn't worry about it
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90056 on: November 15, 2015, 03:59:14 pm »

Nobody notices Cirno
Cute and eager as she is.
(Nitori best)
She/they

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #90057 on: November 15, 2015, 04:40:11 pm »

Shikieiki is muh waifu tho
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #90058 on: November 15, 2015, 04:55:37 pm »

Probably because since I always associate people with their avatars I can't recall who you were before. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #90059 on: November 15, 2015, 04:56:54 pm »

Oh! Oh! I changed my avatar too. Don't think anyone mistakes me, though - I have a rather memorable username :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 6002 6003 [6004] 6005 6006 ... 10988