Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 24 - Year ??? It's over  (Read 20973 times)

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
Re: Dominions 4 Round 24 - Year ??? It's over
« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2016, 10:59:16 am »

I suspect the reason 1 PD provinces don't randomly discover and eat scouts is that beating 50 + 2d25 (open-ended) with just 2d25 (open ended) is just so unlikely it almost never happens.
0.08% chance. So scouts in <15PD (assuming the passive patrolling can't go below 0, can't be bothered to look it up) provinces have a half-life of 866 turns.

Hmm. You'd think that with the number of scouts in a given game, this'd happen occausionally. Scratch that, you'd have to have excessive numbers of scouts. And every now and then one would be eaten by something else, anyway.

The easy way to check this would be to dump a poorly stealthed commander with a hundred units on a 1 PD province and wait. If it's discovered, then we know.
Check out my books at O and H Books

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2016, 12:14:30 pm »

Yeah, there's no patrol roll without 15 PD or at least one patroller. I was rather certain of that already (see above), but to thoroughly beat the dead horse, I took a non-stealthy commander with a shademail haubergeon (giving a grand total of 20 stealth) commanding 1360 need-not-eat stealth-40 troops and put them in a hostile province with 1 PD. They sat there for well over 100 turns undetected. Probably not 200 turns - I rather badly lost count - but well over 100. Two of the fire ants under his command died of old age, actually. I then took them next door to a province with 14 PD. I only went by the results of 1 turn in that province - because really, 1358 troops on a stealth-20 commander, plus his 560 hamadryads would start getting homesick for the province next door - but they were undetected. I then pushed the PD up to 15. Unsurprisingly, they were instantly detected.

Conclusion: those Bacabs + bats were most definitely in provinces with 15, 16, 17, or 18 PD.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 13, 2016, 12:23:03 pm »

"quite well organized" is actually 6-18PD, so it probably was 15+...
Ah, that explains it. PD guesstimate messages are not something I have memorized, it doesn't really come up all that often. (Sorry Gigalith, but I knew 6 was were it changed and though it was 6-14. Seemed like a reasonable leap of logic.)

That was part of it, but things were already kinda tense due to us being in the caves (which you appeared to not like, and were slightly aggressive about), and us (or maybe just me) not realising just how bad Ragha/Marignon had it. If I'd noticed the latter earlier, and you hadn't said what you did about the former, then we probably would have been allies.
And there goes me failing diplomacy again, I just more or less just gave up those two provinces once we got a tentative peace treaty.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #213 on: December 13, 2016, 12:56:48 pm »

That settles that, then. I'm not upset about the mishap anyway--we couldn't have known if we were on safe provinces.

The moral is that putting 15 PD provinces here and there can act as an anti-stealth army landmine. Or, heck, just have a scout set to Patrol. (It'd be cheaper, actually.)
Check out my books at O and H Books

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 13, 2016, 06:44:01 pm »

Err HP? Agarthan humans are pretty standard, just -2 precision and 50% darkvision, everything else is human average. (Blindfighters and Entrance Guards excluded of course, but those guys are elites using Full Plate, even crossbows have issues with that.)
Their crossbow-resistance has EVERYTHING to do with their armor + kite shield combo. (I will admit that claiming crossbow-proof was a bit much. But still very resistant.)
And yeah, you're very much right, I went too crazy with Alchemists, would've been better served with shunting my Enchantment research elsewhere this match. (Or actually using skelespam. Or more exploding skeleton horses... Didn't really try hard enough on those to get an opinion...) And trust me, I didn't really think on the horrific precision, as an Agartha player, friendly fire happens often anyway, but your troops tend to be able to take it better than theirs... (No seriously, I didn't think anything of it. There's a good chance that you tilted the balance from 'Well it's hurting you more than me...' to being actively harmful to my odds of victory... And then there was Mini who did Storm + Mist, now if only I got Darkness off in those fights, 1 precision for EVERYONE!)

All in all, made too much of a departure from tried and true army support and far too much into blasting. Thank you for your analysis. (Again, seriously, thank you, LA Agartha was the Agartha where my strategies were still mostly theoretical, had very little practice against actual players with it.)

(Also Archers CAN'T be given Fire Rear orders, if you gave them Attack Rear they would forget their bows and charge... But irregardless, you actually came to a different conclusion than me, I took less casualties once I switched to heavier x-bows due to them actually being able to take hits (and gold issues)... The light x-bows are really only for use against those you don't expect to perform counter-battery and expansion... They die so quickly if they get attacked or shot at...)

HP is more relevant to blindfighters and Iron corpses than your standard infantry, sorry. But your standard infantry were never the sticking point compared to the corpses and blindfighters. Archers on HOLD AND attack rear will shoot the back ranks before charging, which is very important for using T'ien C'hi and horse tribe cavalry. Sorry for getting the name of the order wrong.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 14, 2016, 03:16:50 am »

As suggested I started a Topic for Round 25.

Details will be set there, we are fairly open ended. Add your suggestions and I'll throw em all in a poll. Like  Dawn of Bridges v3

Edit: Btw, anyone got any lessons this game taught them they want to share?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 10:48:25 am by ThtblovesDF »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]