Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1494616 times)

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #2820 on: February 10, 2012, 10:15:54 pm »

Dear zeitgiest of drillmines,

Having at one point in my life, long before I was raised to my most deserved position among the nobility, been a common dwarf like yourself, I have had ample opportunity to observe these so called "unfortunate accidents" that you and others like yourself so euphamistically referr to. I have taken upon myself to never pull any strange lever in any room that has any of the following characteristics, no matter how lavishly furnished:

A mysterious sulfury smell.
Uncharacteristically warm in temperature.
Freshly carved or laid stonework, especially if it looks out of place.
A faint but lingering odor of charred flesh, blood, or vicera.
A mysterious cloying dampness.
A faint smell of mildew.
Is very distant from my bedroom or the food stockpile.

You will not be tricking me into releasing a hellish hoarde of shriveled crundles into the room with me, or into inadvertantly drowning myself, or into performing an unfortunate smelting accident.

Now kindly get to work making me a crystal glass bed and a slade armor stand to go with the crystal glass window I wanted. I intend to host some important guests soon, and I can't stand that they might discuss that wretched mayor's brass armoire instead of my far more appropriate and sublime furishings.

Perhaps the mayor would be interested in pulling that lever? He's not terribly important anyway, you petty rabble will just elect another to replace him, like always.

Luxuriously yours,
Baron of drillmines

Your highness,

Actually, that lever controls the magma floodgates that will allow us to power our magma glass furnaces. Also everything else that runs on magma.

So kindly pull it, before the latest moody dwarf goes berserk for lack of precious metals. 'Cause if he does, we're putting him in your room while you sleep.

Sincerely,
The Peasants of Drillmines
...Yes. Yes, that's exactly it.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: February 11, 2012, 05:58:42 am »

dear Urist mcpesant:

please don't haul the clown corpse up the stairs. it's made of fire.

sincerely: Jaxler

I will ask you, however, to please refrain from throwing body parts that you're on your way to bury. While I am highly amused that the corpse piece landed neatly on top of the coffin it was intended for, the fact that you threw it meant that it was instantly forbidden.

Sus cancels Read forums: Laughing His A██ Off.  :D
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: February 11, 2012, 06:27:59 am »

Dear Pony McMiner:

When there is exactly one tile that is going to fall in a controlled cave-in, please refrain from causing that cave-in from directly underneath that very tile.  I had to savescum because of you and all your friends, tantrum spirals aren't as Fun with only 20 instead of 200.  That and a tantrum spiral death before the fort is even in its second year is just lame.

Sincerely,
Overseer of Rainecho

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: February 11, 2012, 08:41:17 am »

To the Miners of Hamebalanced currently involved in Project Excavation:

How the hell do you guys keep causing cave-ins?  You sodding idiots are channeling down into solid ground, so that shouldn't happen!  Yet somehow it keeps happening on a semi-regular basis with an average of one or two of you dying or crippling yourselves every two-to-three days.  If there wasn't some 250-odd dwarves sitting around doing nothing that can act as replacements, I'd be concerned.

Sincerely;

Your confused overseer.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: February 11, 2012, 10:31:35 am »

Dear Urist McWeaponsmith,

A fey mood, you made me so happy. But a lead short sword. Really, what were you thinking. Now, with your newly acquired legendary skill, please make some usefull weapons too.

Yours gratefully,
The Overseer
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: February 11, 2012, 01:19:16 pm »

Dear Military

There is a seige outside. Go kill it. Don't just sit there and drink. You can drink AFTER all of the goblins are dead.

Your's truly
Overseer
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: February 11, 2012, 01:20:54 pm »

dear urist mc-our-only-miner

doe rabbits can't kill you so don't jump into the moat whenever you see one.

I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: February 11, 2012, 06:25:16 pm »

How the hell do you guys keep causing cave-ins?  You sodding idiots are channeling down into solid ground, so that shouldn't happen!
Designate only one z-level to channel at once.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: February 11, 2012, 08:02:42 pm »

How the hell do you guys keep causing cave-ins?  You sodding idiots are channeling down into solid ground, so that shouldn't happen!

That's what I've been doing, hence my confusion

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: February 11, 2012, 08:07:15 pm »

To refuse haulers

Please stop attempting to stockpile those dead animalmen, the military isn't done making them stop moving yet.

The administration.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: February 11, 2012, 08:23:56 pm »

Hey, don't worry. I had a legendary miner who made the sky cave in on him.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: February 11, 2012, 08:34:26 pm »

I have this happen so often I refuse to channel in anything but 1-tile strips.

What happens is that the idiots loveable dorfs channel out every tile but the one they're standing on, leaving them on a little island.  They either then sit there with their thumbs up their asses or decide to be proactive, and by that I mean channeling out the rock under their feet.  Sometimes they're lucky and just take a little roll.  Other times, this causes a mini-cave-in and a dwarf that essentially committed suicide by digging himself a hole.  It can also happen when a fellow "helpful" dwarf is also channeling, and while miner #1 is occupied with channeling out a tile, miner #2 decides that underneath miner #1 is the perfect spot to channel next...

Of course, I'm assuming this is the cause, as that's always what's happened when I have stupid channeling cave-ins.  Could be wrong though.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: February 11, 2012, 08:40:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dear UristMcWidow

I know your husband was just killed by a cave-in of water, somehow, but that's no reason to throw a chair at one of our axe-lords.  Now he's angry and appears to be coming after you.  You may not get a chance to read this before your blood is painting the walls, but if you do, know that this is entirely your fault.

Sincerely,

your thoroughly entertained overseer.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: February 12, 2012, 04:15:20 am »

What happens is that the idiots loveable dorfs channel out every tile but the one they're standing on, leaving them on a little island.  They either then sit there with their thumbs up their asses or decide to be proactive, and by that I mean channeling out the rock under their feet.  Sometimes they're lucky and just take a little roll.  Other times, this causes a mini-cave-in and a dwarf that essentially committed suicide by digging himself a hole.
Strange. I never had any "mini-cavein". Always (at least for me) dorf that dig under his feet lands unharmed and stunned for a while and thats it.

Of course, I assume that there is 2 z-level of solid ground and only 1-z level of channel designantion on upper z-level, also one-width tile of 2-z solid ground surrounding hole being digged. No trees.

This cannot went wrong, how you manage to mess it up I have no idea.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: February 12, 2012, 08:34:17 am »

Dear UristMcPeon,

I know everybody enjoys a good fist fight every now and then. However, I would posit that picking a fight with the Sheriff/Militia Captain and his +iron battle axe+ may not have been a winning move. In fact, it seems to have been a fast track to a closed-casket funeral.

Idiot.

P.S. Sheriff Dredd, you are familiar with the concept of non-lethal measures, yes? Might consider employing them one of these days.

-mgmt.

(On second thought, nicknaming my Sheriff "Dredd" may not have been the best idea... :/ )
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 504