Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 76

Author Topic: Maximum Spin's Supernormal Mafia: Game Over, Vampires and Reptilians Win  (Read 27408 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum Spin's Supernormal Mafia: Sign-Ups: 9!
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2024, 09:21:49 am »

And how do people know when I'm scum (so I can avoid it this game!!)?
Tricmagic is the one who can answer this question in a useful way while you still won't be able to avoid it even after you heard it. I can feel it.

Just like you were the one who could do that for webadict and webadict for Tric. Thank you both.

If you want to know if I'm scum, ask Crystalizedmire or Sofanthiel. They'll see it from a mile away. Or listen what Imp thinks and assume the opposite.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2024, 10:05:15 am »

Psh, I didn't even lie that much last game!
Someone thought you joking about being a mason was a real claim, so there was some incidental lying happening!

Tric is scum if he doesn't do insane things.  Basically, if you're thinking to yourself that Tric is scum, he's probably not, and vice versa.  If you say to yourself "Why would anybody do X?"  that's the sign.
Do you think the "my role!!" town meta still holds for Tric? And how do people know when I'm scum (so I can avoid it this game!!)?
Not enough charts, Charts prove you are dedicated to sorting out the information and demystifying it. Not something scum wants.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2024, 10:16:18 am »

Someone thought you joking about being a mason was a real claim, so there was some incidental lying happening!
The reason why lying works really well is that the groups tend to come to similar conclusions, since they discuss the game and trust each other.  It means you can find them by watching what conclusions are shared.  Who believes what is very important.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2024, 10:46:02 am »

The reason why lying works really well is that the groups tend to come to similar conclusions, since they discuss the game and trust each other.  It means you can find them by watching what conclusions are shared.  Who believes what is very important.
Good point. I will tell some lies in this game for sure. I enjoy a good fake claim as town. This post where I pretended to be Poirot, as a town player, was all lies.

Not enough charts, Charts prove you are dedicated to sorting out the information and demystifying it. Not something scum wants.
Maybe. I swear I've done charts a few times as scum but I can't bring any examples to mind. The games blur together.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2024, 11:38:05 am »

That Poirot claim was funny, but I firmly believe that lying is pretty much always bad for Town, because it sows more paranoia and confusion. It's hard enough for Town to trust each other if they all play it straight.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2024, 12:17:34 pm »

Lying can be okay as town if you have a clear rationale you can point to when you finally come clean. Even better if you've breadcrumbed the real truth. There needs to be some purpose. Lying about your role name and ability names can be a good idea too in a BYOR in case there are scum abilities that rely on knowing that specific wording (as indeed was sort of the case in Fallacy's last BYOR).

In the first mafia championship game I played in (the second year they ran it), I think there were five or six fake cop claims from different town players, all trying to shield the real cop. The rationale was sensible there, as there were only two or three power roles in the whole of town.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2024, 12:21:04 pm »

That's an interesting point. I've been thinking lately that scum daychat is a trap that makes people play differently than they would as town, but I haven't rolled scum in more than half a decade, so...

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2024, 12:24:16 pm »

I think if players have a fun place they're talking, then they're going to talk less in the thread. I think we even saw that a bit with you and Jim as masons and subsequently, some players (though mostly through paranoia) felt you and Jim could be read as mafia.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2024, 12:27:58 pm »

A little. I was pretty vocal once I escaped PFP hell, but I probably would've aired more of my thoughts in the thread if I hadn't had someone to bounce them off of -- which might not have been for the better! My Secretdorf reflector kill theory was better off not voiced, for example.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2024, 12:34:49 pm »

By the way, signups are closed, I'm about half done with role design, and then I'm gonna ask if Meph will look them over.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2024, 03:30:50 pm »

And how do people know when I'm scum (so I can avoid it this game!!)?
Tricmagic is the one who can answer this question in a useful way while you still won't be able to avoid it even after you heard it. I can feel it.

Just like you were the one who could do that for webadict and webadict for Tric. Thank you both.

If you want to know if I'm scum, ask Crystalizedmire or Sofanthiel. They'll see it from a mile away. Or listen what Imp thinks and assume the opposite.
I actually didn't think you were scum until you were eliminated
she/her

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2024, 03:53:13 pm »

Yep, Qua is the towniest town-town that ever towned.  Have fun with 'im.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2024, 07:11:45 pm »

We need to rank all the players in order of how super they are and how normal. Normality one will be hard to judge given we're all strange people who decide to have structured arguments on and old web forum for fun.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2024, 07:14:11 pm »

But we need to remember that each of us, ourself can only claim to be vanilla town, right?  Cause...

I've also decided that the only role anyone is allowed to claim is vanilla town. :)

But we can say anything about anyone else, right?

I think nqt is pure as the driven on snow vanilla town.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2024, 07:41:11 pm »

But we need to remember that each of us, ourself can only claim to be vanilla town, right?  Cause...

I've also decided that the only role anyone is allowed to claim is vanilla town. :)

But we can say anything about anyone else, right?

I think nqt is pure as the driven on snow vanilla town.
Does that mean I can't claim SK and get out of the day early?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 76