Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I'm going to start working on a New race for fortress mode in MDF, which is wanted more?

Elves... we need tree hugging hippy forts!!!!!
- 16 (29.1%)
Goblin... Let the demons rule the land!!!!
- 4 (7.3%)
Necromancers... Build your own tower and fill it with your undead servants!!!
- 24 (43.6%)
Repair the Werebeasts... More savage beastie goodness!!!!  maybe even a fort mode!?!?
- 1 (1.8%)
Repair the Titans... so they will come and destroy your fortresses again!
- 6 (10.9%)
Repair the Night Creatures... we need more kidnapped children!
- 0 (0%)
Vampires... flesh out their game play so they drink more blood and even may have a fort mode!?!?
- 4 (7.3%)
Something different to replace one of these?  Let me know what you think would be cool?!?!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: June 20, 2017, 09:37:53 am

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29

Author Topic: Modified ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.29 (43.05 x64)  (Read 85245 times)

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
Re: Modified ☼MASTERWORK☼ v1.29 (43.05 x64)
« Reply #375 on: September 25, 2017, 08:17:43 am »

Nah I've been on both sides, I get it.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 27, 2017, 01:32:46 pm »

Its nothing personal here either... I've just actually seen it get asked when the answer was 2 posts above it.  It seems like when we have a bug with stuff we can't fix (its not ours and it would take me a week to get caught up enough on the memory layouts to understand the basics of it), It comes back up over and over.

Then every once in a while someone tosses in something that hasn't been messed with in over year... You start working on it and someone else comes along (you know that guy who is standing around drinking coffee and looking over your shoulder), and he says oh yeah... that... Its a bug that I noticed around since 42.06, over a year ago... that guy I just want to scream at.  That's how we ended up with 3 races completely disabled... They had been broken for over a year, no one had said anything, and a complete rework from the ground up is needed to fix its problems.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 27, 2017, 01:40:04 pm »

That being said, the last Therapist build posted by Clément in the Therapist thread works perfectly fine for me and solves the castes bug:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.msg7570014#msg7570014

Also make sure to read this:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.msg7571098#msg7571098

Nice info... I hope that works for everyone else... I may go and upload that version to the github.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 29, 2017, 09:46:40 am »

How much still exists from ye olde d34 of masterwork? Like, the carp cult for dwarves? Or the evil dark church cult building that can turn a dwarf into an unnamed one?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 30, 2017, 08:33:13 pm »

How much still exists from ye olde d34 of masterwork? Like, the carp cult for dwarves? Or the evil dark church cult building that can turn a dwarf into an unnamed one?

Heh Carp cult yes... evil dark church cult building no... and as far as the rest of ye olde... well a lot of it was deprecated before I touched it, anything missing on my end was removed because it no longer worked either.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 01, 2017, 01:03:11 pm »

Hey, a question about magma/water wells:

They create an aquifer below them. That much I got, can get them to spawn the desired liquid.
But what is the "turn off sink" option for? It doesn't stop generating the fluid, even if I deconstruct the well. I tried to flood a layer with water for deep underground farms, had a cavern drain with a built bridge over stairs to control the flow, but it wouldn't stop flowing, and the aquifer would stay there permanently.

What am I doing wrong? Could it be because I chose the 7 depth water generation? If I pick 1 depth water generation it never spreds from the aquifer tile.

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 02, 2017, 10:32:50 am »

4 depth magma generation was the same. It never stopped, but didn't 'overflow' either.

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 04, 2017, 07:19:56 am »

Update: I'm starting to think that my magma-spawning adventurer might have been a bug connected to magmawells. Because the magma spawned with the magmawell 'pattern' - N,S,E,W - and with a depth of 4, which is the spawn depth I used in my previous fortress (that the adventurer started in).

ALWAYSANGRON

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 06, 2017, 01:04:42 am »

Is embarking as Orcs normally stable for anyone else? I crash nearly constantly as Orcs.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 07, 2017, 03:24:09 am »

magmawells and waterwells have always been buggy... their settings are persistent to a point across reloading maps.  to turn them off you had to turn them off on each direction not the turn off all sinks option which never worked as far as I can remember.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Avacado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 10, 2017, 03:58:24 pm »

Is embarking as Orcs normally stable for anyone else? I crash nearly constantly as Orcs.

I tend to get crashes with Migration waves/new months, yeah.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 16, 2017, 02:49:37 pm »

PTW
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 18, 2017, 11:39:57 am »

magmawells and waterwells have always been buggy... their settings are persistent to a point across reloading maps.  to turn them off you had to turn them off on each direction not the turn off all sinks option which never worked as far as I can remember.

Now that explains why there was a single-tile level 6 magma aquifer on a sand layer floor on one of my embarks.
Fun times were had.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 19, 2017, 08:02:45 am »

Now that explains why there was a single-tile level 6 magma aquifer on a sand layer floor on one of my embarks.
Fun times were had.

Yeah,  the list of bugs with this that I have heard were many:
1.  once a tile area is designated as magma/water its nearly impossible to get the opposite to spawn in same location - in other words lets say you messed up and put down a magma well and spawned a tile of magma where you wanted water... Then you go back and switch the well, and try to put down water... It would come out magma again.
2. even if you go and dig out a new floor above it/below it and try to put water there... it would still come out magma, it seems to extend vertically about 3 levels up and down from its initial drop point.
3. but there is hope.  If you place it high enough above the floor say 10 above an underground chasm... well you can drop both water and magma from that spot as long as you give enough time between the two for all the water/magma to get at least 5 levels below you.
4.  try to build a magma well 2z above water has same issues.
5. all stop never works... and I looked at the code several times no clue why, I think its the work around to make sure it doesn't stop natural spawns that keeps it from working. stop the spawns individually.
6. all spawns are not guaranteed to be still going if you exit and reload.
7. if you pull the well before stopping the spawns... You are never going to be able stop that spawn... even putting the well back down, may not work 90+% of the time.
8. If you retire a fortress with one on, you may open a new embark and have a spawn going at the same x,y,z as the one you left on.
9.  Wherever your spawns were on the map in the previous embark, even if they were off, and emptied (always build an emptying system is advisable...). If you try to spawn the opposite at that location, you will get the previous spawn, most likely.  (Really noticable if you build embarks in similar ways causing this issue, to occur a couple of times for me).
10. occasionally left over spawn data will cause all sorts of weird things such as random magma rain.

This is why I prefered the orc fluidcaster to all the others... It was a fixed amount, that after you learned the pattern you could control...  no spawn points.  If you had at least 1 floor drop between the fluidcaster and the place you put lava, you could use the fluidcaster to spawn the opposite on same location:
Code: [Select]
z=0  Fluidcaster
z-1   empty space for fluidcasting
z-2   empty space to provide room for fluidcasting to escape.
z-3   water room on top of...
z-4   lava room that is now a casting floor...
add in runoff control to 3 and 4, 4 could run to tunnels to fuel magma shops and 3 could run to a well basin to provide water.
with careful planning and a few obsidian to start the process an orc fort had all the magma it needs, generally I would have z-4 have a channel down path on one edge to fill my magma shops through z-5, than my z-3 would extend opposite direction a tunnel that would then drop into a fill room for excess water with an over fill tap to edge of map with an engraved fortification to allow out flow.  even would build my farms their along that tunnel then put up walls after being mudded and enter from other side.  About 3 months of digging and operating fluidcasting and I'd have a fairly decent source of lava, water, obsidian, etc.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 20, 2017, 06:50:43 am »

Just reporting a few issues I have found related to skill libraries and guilds:

-Pressing doesn't give skill bonus on the farmwork library; persistant through various forts.
-Pottery and glazing also seem to have this issue (I'll double check it, might be only one, but I'm quite sure it is both)
-There could be others I don't remember or haven't found. I'll make a new fort for this purpose and report back.

-Sometimes dwarves in guilds don't seem to get the experience boost, for some reason. Military guilds seem to work fine (I could be wrong, it seems guard dwarves take very long to level up armor related skills). Craftsdwarves guild don't seem to impose positive attributes to potters, too. For someone playing with -50% learning rate it is kinda annoying to invest time and material on getting gold only to get no bonus from them. I have a weaponsmith on my last fort, he has created about 300 copper warhammers already, and is still lvl 9. My potter definitely is not getting benefits from the craftsdwarves guild. A description for what jobs apply to what guild on the guild selection menu would be golden.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 29