Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1085901 times)

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile

But it's a free-to-play game, so that makes no sense.  Unless they are planning of region-locking it on principle, which to be fair is stupid.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:36:28 am by draco1234 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I can sorta understand region-locking for action games.  World of Tanks, Vindictus, Tribes, and Planetside 2 would all have such ping requirements as to make out-of-country play impractical.  But... it seems like people with poor connections would naturally not play.  They don't need someone to tell them what country they live in, they can risk playing poorly on their own.  So I have no idea why you would actively restrict your target audience.  Seems like the best way to make less money is to appeal to less people.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The region locking was abandoned pretty quickly back in February. No mentions of that or the European group in more recent news. It's something you would do if there was high risk of failure (European producer takes the risk for that region while you charge them a license fee, using that to cover the risks in the US) so before the hype got going I could sort of understand it. A fair few weaker generic Korean MMO grind fests do the same. Wouldn't have made sense for PS2 though.

IRC geeks interested in my opening a room on Freenode, or do you have a server you prefer?

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile

If it's been scrapped, thats alright then.  And the ping difference playing on US servers for me isn't too bad, because there tends to be quite a large difference on ping on EU servers anyway. 

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile

Anyone have a source that region locking has been scrapped? I kind of want to stop sobbing now.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

Yes Dariush, we know you enjoy living in an older time when IRC dominates and region locking is considered a valid business venture.  The rest of us will resume living in 2012 where we can use our house phone to send a message into space, bounce of 3 satellites and a massive tower and transmit realtime data signals so that our cell phone will ring and we can find where we left it in our other pants.  Technology man.  Get with the times.
Wait what? What relation does your post have to anything?

Freenode would be best, yes.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That does sound rather archaic... hope it is scrapped, I'd hate to see us all split!

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone have a source that region locking has been scrapped? I kind of want to stop sobbing now.
http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuopc/posts/list.m?topic_id=47694

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile

http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuopc/posts/list.m?topic_id=47694

Aaahhh thank you Palsch.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well i saw that i dont know if i understand right o.O.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

The one thing I'm concerned with is that ProSiebenSat.1 Games is a german company and many games get heavily censored for german release. I'm hoping this doesn't mean we European players are going to be getting a censored version of the game.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile

Wow way to go Sony what a massive fuck up, well I don't really give a shit I refuse to make another account with some shitty company.

And I don't Like the sound of a subscription, sounds like we are going to have to pay for this service >:(
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the All Access pass is just a super subscription to all their subscription based games, Planetside 2 should still be Free

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Funny how the game are taking a Free-to-play approach but the account service has to be paid by month, isnt it hidden cost thing? If you have to pay for your account and the game is free, i think they cannot advertise it as free without incurring legal stuff dont they?

Edit: So basicly there is a new company in the accoutning and publishing system, but the player can still join any freacking server they want. I dont mind then as long i can play with fellow b12er :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:30:30 am by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really don't think the all access pass is related at all to Planetside 2
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 826