Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1086079 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2205 on: September 02, 2012, 11:55:48 am »

Y'know, all I recall about gun combat in FoM was that it was pretty much entirely won by the best dancer.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: September 02, 2012, 01:02:10 pm »

I don't have a problem with the Infiltrator not having a jetpack. I wouldn't mind it being optional but that's eating into LA territory if you do that, but the cloak is really useful if you know how to play it. Most bases have relatively easily accessible high places, places outside of bases can usually be reached on foot with some difficulty, or you can play as a team and have someone drop you from a gal or lib.

If maneuverability is important to the LA, it's vital to the Inf... the Inf just can not get into fights that it isn't absolutely sure it has the upper hand in, so that involves a lot of stalking and sneaking and yes... just plain sitting there while enemies run past you with you being able to do little more than spot them for team mates. (Which can be very powerful with the right team mates.) Personally, if I were a lib crew, other than having some nice AA around to protect me, the thing I would like most is just some infiltrator looking through the scope or well hidden somewhere and spotting targets for me. This, unfortunately doesn't seem to get the Inf any benefit at the moment, other than the general benefit for a team doing well. I wouldn't mind seeing a Tribes-esque targeting laser that would give indirect fire units(maxes with mortars being the most obvious) a direction/angle to fire at.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: September 02, 2012, 02:03:12 pm »

... But at least it ain't a shooter that makes you miss shots that have clearly hit the target, and actually gives you the ability to do headshots. *COUGH* FACE OF MANKIND *COUGH*

I don't like headshots. The game encourages you to aim for the head, whereas every single armed force on the planet will teach its recruits to aim at the center of mass. Yes, it's just a game, but it does encourage using real tactics. You have to work in a group, lone wolfing won't get you far, combined arms operations are more effective, you have to use cover, covering fire, etc. Yet it rewards you for aiming in completely the wrong way. I find that oddly inconsistent.

I'd rather have headshots than have what was(/is?) happening for the Vanu - you aim at someone's head at close range, and 80% of your shots magically fly out around their head, missing them by some miracle of science, and you die. Raaaaaage.

Responding to the other posts:

I've got the A2G rocket pods on the reaver, and I'm less than impressed. Although they instakill most infantry, you have to get really frakking close to the ground to see them. I've blown up a couple aircraft in the air with them and usually didn't get a kill credit for it. Most of the time they escape or I have to leave due to taking too much damage or running out of rockets (it's very difficult to aim them at something when both of you are moving in the air and there's no visual reference to show how fast you are both going or how fast the rockets are going to come out). Blowing up something on the ground only seems to be possible if it's an AA turret or there's no engineers repairing it, or you get lucky and hit the engineers (and it isn't a deployed galaxy, because if so they just respawn at it). There are also people on the beta forums calling for the rocket pods to be nerfed because they perceive them as killing their stuff too fast. ???

Of course when you have two fighter-bombers with rocket-pods they become quite a bit more effective.

The main use for reavers at the moment is simply flying from outpost to outpost capping them all as fast as possible. Dogfights slow you down, but sometimes the enemy has 6 scythes flying around in one place for no apparent reason and you can't really attack somewhere without getting your ass kicked, especially when it turns out their A2A missiles work now. :P

I have 4 kills and 322 shots fired with the NC mag-shot (and 27.640% accuracy). I think it takes around 8-9 shots to the body to kill an unwounded TR, based on personal experience (so a lot of those shots were people I started shooting and then died before I could kill, even though I was clicking quite rapidly). (I have more kills with the mag-shot than the bolt driver, but I've only fired 18 shots with the bolt driver. I just don't like the bolt driver at all.)

In any case, it's not completely terrible, it's just nowhere near as good as the pistols in the Halo games where you could knock down a person's shields and then take them down with a single headshot.

I think the TR pistol is better, but I have not used it extensively. They don't really need it, though, their HA gun seems like it cuts through shields and health like a chainsaw through melted butter.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:04:57 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: September 02, 2012, 05:52:46 pm »

TR had a fantastic push into nc territory, up to within sight of the nc main.  Spent most of it laying down pain on the reavers and liberators from one of the static aa cannons, which apparently suck abusrdly.  Hitting every shot from cool to heat shutdown doesn't even kill a reaver.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:55:10 pm by Rez »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: September 02, 2012, 06:00:14 pm »

TR had a fantastic push into nc territory, up to within sight of the nc main.  Spent most of it laying down pain on the reavers and liberators from one of the static aa cannons, which apparently suck abusrdly.  Hitting every shot from cool to heat shutdown doesn't even kill a reaver.
Yeah. And even then, that is the best AA weapon available. Skyguard is supposedly equal to that but is rather bugged atm.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: September 02, 2012, 06:03:34 pm »

To be honest, I'll probably buy the MAX AA before the skyguard, since I can spawn or switch to max in a ton of plays that I can't get a tank from.

Does that make the flak cannons worse than the 20mm cannon then?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: September 02, 2012, 06:37:46 pm »

Everyone complains that everyone else is OP because they can't kill them by firing everything they can fire at once.

P.S. You know if you stop before it gets too hot, you can have much less of a delay before you resume firing since you don't have to wait for it to cool completely down?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: September 02, 2012, 06:42:55 pm »

I really like the aa upgrade for the top and rear galaxy turrets

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: September 02, 2012, 06:47:44 pm »

All euros on EU1 add me Scriptwolf or send me a PM through the forums with your name so I can add you into the NC bay12 outfit
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: September 02, 2012, 07:03:18 pm »

It's a static AA flak cannon firing on the lightest aircraft in the NC arsenal.  If that can't take a reaver, mosquito, or scythe down, then they either need less hp or the flak cannon needs more damage.

AA blows, as is clearly evidenced by the fact that light aircraft can swarm the skies over hostile held territory.

Edit: And it's probably that flak cannons just need to do more damage, since liberators and galaxys can do the same thing, except with 2 or 3 flak cannons shooting at them.  Take it easy, the NC reavers armor isn't where people want to nerf it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:30:14 pm by Rez »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: September 02, 2012, 07:45:33 pm »

Oooo 21 Meg patch, what do you bring me?

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: September 02, 2012, 08:00:23 pm »

so i tried using a joystick with a vehicle...it sucks because there is no deadzone option, as soon as the joystick is in the center, it automaticly goes to one of the directions
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: September 02, 2012, 08:51:10 pm »

After a bit of fiddling I managed to get my 360 gamepad to work using joy2key. It's not perfect, but flying mosquitoes is definitely a lot easier. I wasn't having all that much trouble with galaxies, but it's not any harder with the gamepad either. Only thing that bothers me is I can' use the triggers as analogue turn axes. If I just lightly touch them, it's a full key press so while most of my other flight sims recognize light touches, I have to remember to do quick taps if I want fine adjustments.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: September 02, 2012, 10:43:37 pm »

Had some fun on EU1 today. Not enough people on at this time so I stopped.

I wish there was some way to know what areas are under attack. Spent quite a while bombing around on a quad-bike capturing empty vanu bases before I found some team mates.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: September 03, 2012, 01:03:48 am »

it'd be better if I could choose to spawn outside my death hex after I die.  Getting tired of fighting at zuvran west and needing vehicle support, but being unable to make the trek to the crown or crossroads watchtower.

Edit:  As a sidenote, I'd like to play as a vanu just so I can have their ridiculously good MAX AT arms.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:13:43 am by Rez »
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 826