Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1086052 times)

QuiteFranklyMyMaN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #6615 on: March 20, 2013, 03:03:15 pm »

I own this game... stay away... far far away....

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: March 20, 2013, 03:17:52 pm »

In terms of Vanguard secondary weapons, how does Enforcer versus Halberd stack up.  I played around with them and looked up the numbers, and it looks like Enforcer has a bit faster projectile speed while Halberd gets a wider blast radius and less projectile drop.  Has anyone used both enough to form a solid opinion on them?

I used the Enforcer a good bit back when the projectile didn't drop and it was pretty incredible, but now I'm not so sure.  Also from a physics standpoint, faster but more drop makes pretty much zero sense.

You can test them in VR, enforcer feels better to me though.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: March 20, 2013, 03:32:09 pm »

I did play with them in VR, where it's actually quite difficult to get a feel for splash damage.  They clearly have equal impact damage, though.

I could always just grab the Kobalt, though- that thing is murder for infantry.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: March 20, 2013, 03:50:14 pm »

I did play with them in VR, where it's actually quite difficult to get a feel for splash damage.  They clearly have equal impact damage, though.

Kobalt, because basilisk is total crap past 50 meters.

I use the Kobalt on my flash, I'll just park on a hill near some infantry battle and start spraying em down.

Also I noticed the flash has a prox radar certification, and the base level is 25 meters, so you're covering a circle 50 meters in diameter... that's pretty good, just park it on the wall of building opposite the opponents spawn, and you got radar.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: March 20, 2013, 04:15:41 pm »

Kobalt, because basilisk is total crap past 50 meters.

I use the Kobalt on my flash, I'll just park on a hill near some infantry battle and start spraying em down.

Also I noticed the flash has a prox radar certification, and the base level is 25 meters, so you're covering a circle 50 meters in diameter... that's pretty good, just park it on the wall of building opposite the opponents spawn, and you got radar.
Flash's prox radar is extremely good- it works for all faction members, not just yourself. Other vehicle's radar (Except the ESF) work only for the vehicle's owner, and I think only while the person is in the vehicle (I might be wrong on that last point). Basically it can give your entire faction a huge edge in any base battle if you manage it hide it in a nice spot.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: March 20, 2013, 04:21:55 pm »

I have both the Kobalt and Fury for the Flash.  Fury's great for hit and run attacks, and can do reasonable damage to armor from the rear (but if they see you you're toast.)  The Kobalt as a mobile turret works well, since it has such nice range.

I need to grab the first rank of prox radar and play with it for a while.  I get the feeling that's a rarely used trick.

Has anyone used the Flash shotgun in a real battle?  Even playing with it in VR, it seems like it'd suck.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: March 20, 2013, 04:34:12 pm »

I have both the Kobalt and Fury for the Flash.  Fury's great for hit and run attacks, and can do reasonable damage to armor from the rear (but if they see you you're toast.)  The Kobalt as a mobile turret works well, since it has such nice range.

I need to grab the first rank of prox radar and play with it for a while.  I get the feeling that's a rarely used trick.

Has anyone used the Flash shotgun in a real battle?  Even playing with it in VR, it seems like it'd suck.
I saw a guy using it as an infiltrator so he could cloak to get behind people, give them a blast and book it out of there. While amusing, it didn't seem to be worth the effort- more of an annoyance to stray infantry than a valid tactic to impact a battle, though I could see it being a good way to clear off engineers from repairing a sunderer. I suppose you could try farming respawners that way.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: March 20, 2013, 05:20:22 pm »

Yeah it doesn't reduce damage from other aircraft or missiles so it's not helpful in an A2A setup, since engaging another aircraft while inside their flak zone is suicidal anyway.

I certed vehicle stealth after that video and I've been playing with that on, just for the bonus of not being detected by proximity detection or prox/scout radar.

Everyone on the planetside forum preaches the vortek rotary as the highest DPS/lowest TTK/(other statistics), but I've had a lot more success flying the default gun (M20 mustang).

It does amazing amounts of damage, but is a fair bit less accurate than the Mustang, which means the Mustang is better for shooting fleeing ESF's. The Vortek is mostly useful for close-to-medium range dogfights since it you need it to be on target for quite a bit shorter time than the Mustang to destroy the enemy ESF. I enjoy those dogfights, so I always run with the Vortek and rocket pods.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6623 on: March 20, 2013, 05:50:26 pm »

Wow, the Gauss compact S is really cheap today. On sale for 125 SC. I had that just as free SC bonus from joining the other station games, so I couldn't help but get it haha.

Now I just need 100 free certs to unlock the grenade launcher and I can give that sucker a try. Been in a lot of situations where having a grenade launcher would have been useful, like running up on 5 guys standing in a huddle looking the other way. With regular rounds I managed to shoot two before they turned and got me, with grenade launcher? Probably could have blown all 5 up with a single grenade. I just hope the gun is as good as the base gun I've been using.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: March 20, 2013, 06:23:11 pm »

Paul: 2 words: smoke launcher

Grenade is probably better for cert gains and I understand the appeal. However, smoke is great for moving up a whole squad that is pinned down; as long as you can convince them to run towards the smoke. If by yourself though, grenade launcher would be quite the equalizer.

Smoke also will stop flanking infantry from having a surprise firing lane to mow down a whole group of friendlies. This is greatly useful as a medic.

Also if you are lucky enough to be engaged in infantry zerg vs infantry zerg fights in somewhat open ground, enjoy your ability to block line of sight to whatever portion you choose. Of note is bridge assaults; by smoking the bridge ahead of you, you can advance and shoot enemies as they emerge from the cloud. Anytime you see a swarm of enemy infantry it never hurts to launch a smoke into their midst as it will reduce their effective return fire.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:25:06 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: March 20, 2013, 06:24:04 pm »

Yeah it doesn't reduce damage from other aircraft or missiles so it's not helpful in an A2A setup, since engaging another aircraft while inside their flak zone is suicidal anyway.

I certed vehicle stealth after that video and I've been playing with that on, just for the bonus of not being detected by proximity detection or prox/scout radar.

Everyone on the planetside forum preaches the vortek rotary as the highest DPS/lowest TTK/(other statistics), but I've had a lot more success flying the default gun (M20 mustang).

It does amazing amounts of damage, but is a fair bit less accurate than the Mustang, which means the Mustang is better for shooting fleeing ESF's. The Vortek is mostly useful for close-to-medium range dogfights since it you need it to be on target for quite a bit shorter time than the Mustang to destroy the enemy ESF. I enjoy those dogfights, so I always run with the Vortek and rocket pods.

Well for a close-in dogfight the M30 Air Hammer looks awesome, but I get the feeling its not great unless you've got the magazine size upgraded. Maybe that's why there are people calling for it to be nerfed.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: March 20, 2013, 06:50:01 pm »

Fair warning about the grenade launcher: It's buggy as hell.

Sometimes it stops resupplying ammo, sometimes you can't interrupt its reload. And you have to be far enough away for the grenade to arm and detonate (though plunking people in the face with an unexploded grenade and killing them is gratifying from time to time).

The uninterruptible reload is killer; multiple times have I come face to face with a single enemy infantry, only to miss with the grenade launcher and get killed because I was jamming the 1 and 3 keys and it just goddamned refuse to switch to the pistol or the primary weapon.

It is insanely frustrating to use at times.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: March 20, 2013, 07:45:46 pm »

Fair warning about the grenade launcher: It's buggy as hell.

Sometimes it stops resupplying ammo, sometimes you can't interrupt its reload. And you have to be far enough away for the grenade to arm and detonate (though plunking people in the face with an unexploded grenade and killing them is gratifying from time to time).

The uninterruptible reload is killer; multiple times have I come face to face with a single enemy infantry, only to miss with the grenade launcher and get killed because I was jamming the 1 and 3 keys and it just goddamned refuse to switch to the pistol or the primary weapon.

It is insanely frustrating to use at times.
The resupply bug seems to happen specifically if you get killed and revived by a medic with it equipped- it's really frustrating to essentially have one less weapon every time that happens, specially in base assaults where the grenade launcher tends to be the most reliable thing for breaking an indoor firefight stalemate. Aside from that quirk, I tend to avoid using it unless there's ample amount of cover, it's just too risky to attempt using in a wide open area or close quarters where there isn't enough distance to activate the explosion.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: March 20, 2013, 07:49:10 pm »

That's what we need the Thumper for.  (And the Rocklet Rifle.)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6629 on: March 20, 2013, 08:41:16 pm »

The engineer toolkit is buggy too. If you die with it out you can no longer use it until you relog. So the bugs don't worry me too much.

I got the grenade launcher, but haven't got any kills with it yet. Got a bunch of kill assists, but it never seems to outright kill anyone.

I suspect most people are running flak armor, which is why the grenades aren't killing people. Does a direct hit vs flak armor still one shot them? I could have sworn I landed a direct shot on a guy but he just ran off before I could swap back to rifle. It would be nice if instead of having to switch guns you could have a hotkey that just fired and reloaded grenades, so you could fire off a grenade and immediately start firing the rifle and choose to reload the grenade launcher later.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 826