Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1082398 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #7380 on: May 23, 2013, 07:17:39 am »

Unfortunately, I didn't. But still, it's kinda infuriating that 2-3 consecutive headshots at 70-80m don't kill when it's supposed to be a faction that's all about this kind of shooting. I mean seriously, is there any situation in which NC carbines aren't inferior to every other weapon in the game?
Um.... When there are two of you shooting at one enemy...
NC now days are all about numbers due to the amount of people falsely coming to NC for their promised abilities. So the balance made to them due to Numbers is the only way to win these days. Get a friend and work out fire orders where you move from target to target together... T_T
Or play TR and get over 20 people Killstreaks each life.... (Which I did)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: May 23, 2013, 07:20:11 am »

I played VS when I started and enjoyed using their vehicles and guns, though I hated their spandex purple uniforms so much that I wanted a change. The VS players seemed pretty decent overall (general attitude).

I played TR and fell in love with their guns for different reasons -- spray and pray actually worked more during panic fire moments and they sounded/felt like GUNS. I didn't like the graphics of the guns, but they felt good to use. I did really well with them, too. HATED their community on Mattherson. My first hour was staring in shock at my screen watching the trash talk, then listening to dozens of players screaming at each other over prox chat with so much rage that I didn't even want to play. I'll try again over the weekend maybe.

I played NC and ... well, the gun models are sweet (along with the vehicle models), but they don't quite FEEL right. Maybe it's the sound effects. Maybe it's getting used to the recoil -- hopefully that's what it is, because I'm a little underwhelmed right now. Still not sure about their community on Mattherson since the big update hit and everything is crazy anyway. Mid-long range combat was okay with careful bursts, but nothing I couldn't repeat with the other factions.

I guess nothing really stands out to me when it comes to NC guns. On paper it looks obvious: more damage per bullet, more recoil. In practice it doesn't seem that clear. Eh, I'm on BR 9 or something on my NC. I'll keep practicing.

(Side question: is the Phoenix fun to use? Not asking if it gets lots of kills since I don't care about K/D, but asking if it's just fun to own and worth the SC.)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7382 on: May 23, 2013, 08:06:53 am »

Had a chance to play this morning so I got a chance to see the lattice in action. I'm a bit disappointed that they made it so you have to go through the main facility to capture the other outlying bases around the main facilities, removing any possibility of a smaller force bypassing the meatgrinder, leaving it to the zerg, while strategicly cutting off reinforcements.

Biolabs are now far easier to defend, as excepting very unusual circumstances, the defenders will always keep at least one exterior base. Coupled with the change to SCU shields this makes cutting off reinforcements far harder, if not impossible.

On the other hand I've seen many more massive battles now that you normally only have one or two directions to continue an attack in, so people don't disperse as badly after a base cap. The redesign of the road network has helped, leading to more armour columns.

I've yet to see any MAX's using the new abilities so can't really comment on them, probably start seeing them in the next couple of days as people build up the certs for them.

There seem to be some server instability introduced in this patch, we twice in 3 hours had pretty much everyone in our platoon suffer a disconnect at the same time. I'm hoping that someone hasn't managed to find a way to again use an exploit that existed back in beta that forced everyone in a region to disconnect, that was abused by a few outfits back then.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: May 23, 2013, 08:25:11 am »

Seen one aegis NC MAX, he was just tanking behind a shield while his mates shot at us from behind him. I just NOPED out of there. When used well, in a team, it's pretty good.

Seen one VS Burster MAX use his overload ability. That cleared up the skies pretty quickly.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:29 am »

The Aegis shield is great like that. On it's own it's not too exciting, but in a team it's fantastic cover AND a moving wall to hide behind while pushing out and blasting people.

The VS ability is downright terrifying since it's so popular and everyone wants to try it out. You don't have a lot of time to react when a 6 or more VS ZOE MAX units come charging into your flanks, half of them toting anti-vehicle weapons and the other half melting infantry. It's pretty good. Made me wish I was an HA with a Deci' at the time, wanted to see how squishy they were against a real threat.

The biggest impact I've personally seen of the new TR MAX is keeping the skies clear. Deploy + bursters = lots of burning aircraft. Haven't noticed it on the ground really, but only had a couple fights against TR last night.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: May 23, 2013, 08:53:32 am »

(to him Mercy and Fracture are worthless...)

Oh man.

Being spawn camped is my time to pad whatever my K/D is. I can't believe how many people will sit right outside the shield and try to shoot in without even trying to find cover.

I was doing this in a biolab one day.  There were TR everywhere standing in full view of spawn, picking their noses.  Twenty easy kills or so later I head off to the next fight, laughing all the way to the bank.

It is kinda weird that each faction has it's own shotgun, but they all have the same stats. It does seem like something they could have just NS'd. People might complain about there being 5 NS shotguns though.

Ironically, the only shotgun I have (NC) is the Piston auto shotty.  So much for following the faction philosophy, right?  (PS it was on sale)

I played NC and ... well, the gun models are sweet (along with the vehicle models), but they don't quite FEEL right. Maybe it's the sound effects. Maybe it's getting used to the recoil -- hopefully that's what it is, because I'm a little underwhelmed right now. Still not sure about their community on Mattherson since the big update hit and everything is crazy anyway. Mid-long range combat was okay with careful bursts, but nothing I couldn't repeat with the other factions.

(Side question: is the Phoenix fun to use? Not asking if it gets lots of kills since I don't care about K/D, but asking if it's just fun to own and worth the SC.)

There are some good NC outfits on Mattherson- TENC and CML are both well-coordinated and that's where the SA goons mostly play as well.

And hell yes it's fun to use.  Chasing down tanks with it is great.

Seen one aegis NC MAX, he was just tanking behind a shield while his mates shot at us from behind him. I just NOPED out of there. When used well, in a team, it's pretty good.

What?  Teamwork in an online shooter?  Surely you jest.

Sounds like between lockdown bursters and the Striker, bringing air against the TR is going to be an exercise in futility.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: May 23, 2013, 10:11:41 am »

You know what the Lattice proves to me now days. It just proves what we have always known on Briggs...
TR and VS target NC 1000x more then eachother...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: May 23, 2013, 10:21:28 am »

D117 and GIGS are also very good outfits on NC Mattherson, with D117 being the larger of the two and GIGS being outstandingly effective in large part due to their leader despite not having a lot of prescence usually.

EDIT: Blue Lions are pretty good too and often run public squads.

TAS has large numbers, but I've noticed they have a core of skilled players and leaders while a decent percentage seem to be childrens. I don't have anything against childrens, but they often don't have the years of FPS experience older peoples had the opportunity to achieve. Also TAS will advertise that they are recruiting in every public TAS platoon ever run, though that is only a temporary annoyance and the fact they run so many public squads makes up for it, as some teamwork is better than individuals as long as the task at hand is not ghost capping. In addition they are improving gradually, though this is somewhat difficult to ascertain oftentimes as they are always adding new players to their ranks, for which I salute them, as long as the new ones are being informed how to spot with q and about the differences between sometimes broken /re and /yell.

One thing that could be of use for NC Mattherson is greater cooperation between TAS leadership and GOONS, when GOONs are rolling en force. Though I'm sure it will pain the latter a bit to make the attempt, if TAS leadership is not too fractious when GOON tries to coordinate I think defending the right places while others are attacked by a squad or two would make alerts turn out much better.

EDIT: With lattice though we'll see if that's as good idea as it was before. I haven't tried it out yet.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:59:22 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7388 on: May 23, 2013, 11:44:29 am »

You know what the Lattice proves to me now days. It just proves what we have always known on Cobalt...
TR and NC target VS 1000x more then eachother...

Fixed for cobalt :P

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: May 23, 2013, 12:26:51 pm »

Soo... my new PC came just today and i'm somewhat interested in playing one of those things called new games...
(After i finish Dark Messiah of Might and Magic of course)

So my first second guesses (due to a distinct lack of new games for somewht obvious reasons) were WoT and PS2.

Could anyone tell me the following:

1 - EU Server with highest # of B12 people.
2 - What faction those people generally play.
3 - What can i buy for 55 Euro (i got a coupon with the graphics card).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: May 23, 2013, 12:43:59 pm »

Can't tell you the first two, but the answer to the third is quite a bit, actually.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7391 on: May 23, 2013, 01:05:38 pm »

Looking at how much they are charging for station cash, you should get around 5,500 SC for your euros. If you wait and purchase weapons when they appear on the daily deals for half price at 350SC each that translates to 15 weapons. That is plenty to equip you for any role. You can also get 150SC free by signing up to a couple of SOE's other online games which would tip you into enough to get you another weapon. Only purchase weapons that cost 1000 certs to unlock to make the most of your SC. Also note that certain weapons can be used on any character regardless of empire if you purchase them, which can make them more favourable to purchase if you think you are going to try out different empires.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:08:04 pm by Metalax »

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: May 23, 2013, 01:06:44 pm »

Soo... my new PC came just today and i'm somewhat interested in playing one of those things called new games...
(After i finish Dark Messiah of Might and Magic of course)

So my first second guesses (due to a distinct lack of new games for somewht obvious reasons) were WoT and PS2.

Could anyone tell me the following:

1 - EU Server with highest # of B12 people.
2 - What faction those people generally play.
3 - What can i buy for 55 Euro (i got a coupon with the graphics card).

Back at launch, most EU players went for Miller, but I can't say how many of those are still playing.

I'm playing on Miller myself, though I've been pretty inactive for the last week or so due to being busy with RL and playing other games. I'm playing NC, and we could certainly use some new NC, we're underpopulated compared to the other factions, though it's been improving slightly recently, I think. I'm in the outfit Digital Legion a wonderful collection of mostly Brits with small sprinkles of other nationalities (me and a couple of others being the Swedish sprinkles). If you want to join an outfit, and I really recommend doing so since it makes the game so much more enjoyable, I can recommend us. :P
Entropy is not what it used to be.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: May 23, 2013, 02:56:45 pm »

Not only the NC is underpopulated on Miller, Silfurdreki. Vanu as well. :P

Damn TR win-with-numbers style. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: May 23, 2013, 03:06:27 pm »

Until recently the NC owned everything on Ceres. Now it appears it is the TR.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 826