Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1082374 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8310 on: October 24, 2013, 05:00:42 pm »

I didn't notice a huge fps increase when I was on test last night but I may have been running with more intense graphics settings. I was GPU bound more often than not, though.

Well the optimizations are, afaik, aimed at decreasing cpu load. If you have a gpu bottleneck, the optimization will probably do very little. Also, but this is just something I heard so who knows, part of the changes is putting more of the load from cpu to gpu, so I imagine that could even cause a performance drop in that case.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8311 on: October 24, 2013, 06:31:33 pm »

I sure hope that's not the case. My CPU is significantly better than my GPU, since the GPU's the only major part I haven't gotten around to replacing on my computer yet. Still, I'm looking forward to the potential bump in player membership that'll come with the patch. I suspect a lot of the NC on my server are from China and the like, since after a few patches killed the frame rate for a lot of people we started bleeding members pretty quickly. We went from having the only server with NC capable of standing their own to VS dominating everything with impunity in a short span of time.

In other news, I recently unlocked the second burster on my MAX and it's freaking awesome. I get so many certs from sitting near a fight doing AA. I've also discovered the joys of slug rounds with dual MAX shotguns. It's kind of funny seeing infantry poke out at mid-range expecting to get a few easy hits off on me and nailing them to the ground with a few quick shots. I've gone from getting an average K/D ratio of 2.0 - 3.0 with just infantry to 6.0 - 10.0 just with my MAX.

I'm working towards unlocking extended magazines for my bursters, and then I'll go for longer range MAX shotguns since grinders are pretty inaccurate. It'll only take me 3400 certs to get there, 4400 if I want extended magazines on the new shotguns, too...

MAXes sure are expensive.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8312 on: October 24, 2013, 06:45:58 pm »

Last time I MAXed, I ran slug scat on one arm and hacksaw on the other.  It gives a bit of variety.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8313 on: October 24, 2013, 08:04:31 pm »

So i bought a Trac-5S installed a NV scope, flash suppresor and slapped a smoke grenade launcher on it.

It has the awesome ability to control both allies and enemies during fights because people for some reason just LOVE rushing through or at smoke.
Sure it provides cover but that's why i take the NV scope along with the launcher.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8314 on: October 25, 2013, 02:31:32 am »

So i bought a Trac-5S installed a NV scope, flash suppresor and slapped a smoke grenade launcher on it.

It has the awesome ability to control both allies and enemies during fights because people for some reason just LOVE rushing through or at smoke.
Sure it provides cover but that's why i take the NV scope along with the launcher.
Now to combine the smoke launcher with AI mines -> Profit.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: October 25, 2013, 02:32:52 am »

Don't know if its because I have everything set to low but smoke doesn't seem to last that long to me.

Although if I'm a engi I can just shit out an ammo box and go cheech and chong on the enemy positions

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: October 25, 2013, 02:45:04 am »

Some dudes on the Planetside subreddit said that TR AI MAX weapons had a CoF nerf of about 40%, so I checked it out in the VR.

I couldn't tell if that was true, but I started dinking around and discovered that they've altered the arc for the Pounder grenades. They're zeroed significantly further away, I think around 100m or so, and the grenades don't retardedly cross paths with each other midway through the air.

So not only is it now easier to hit vehicles from further away, interestingly enough, it's also now easier to hit infantry at all ranges. The direct damage of the pounders was nerfed (it 4 shots infantry instead of 3 shotting them), but being able to hit stuff seems to make up for it.

Now when I pull my Pounder MAX when I'm feeling bored or daring, I can be slightly deadly instead of hilariously handicapped.

Hurrah for stealth buffs.

If only you could alternate between smoke grenades and the regular grenades.

Don't know if its because I have everything set to low but smoke doesn't seem to last that long to me.

It doesn't last very long anyway.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: October 25, 2013, 03:45:34 am »

I couldn't tell if that was true, but I started dinking around and discovered that they've altered the arc for the Pounder grenades. They're zeroed significantly further away, I think around 100m or so, and the grenades don't retardedly cross paths with each other midway through the air.

That's interesting. I wonder wether they have given the NC max Falcons a similar treatment, being another anti vehicle weapon suffering from horrible convergence.  I wouldn't mind switching over to those if they improved them, I dislike the Ravens.

In other news, I recently unlocked the second burster on my MAX and it's freaking awesome. I get so many certs from sitting near a fight doing AA. I've also discovered the joys of slug rounds with dual MAX shotguns. It's kind of funny seeing infantry poke out at mid-range expecting to get a few easy hits off on me and nailing them to the ground with a few quick shots. I've gone from getting an average K/D ratio of 2.0 - 3.0 with just infantry to 6.0 - 10.0 just with my MAX.

Try the Mattocks, it's what I've been running and it delivers. Most accurate max shotty available, having accuracy and range similar to the jackhammer wich is another awesome weapon. Put some slugs in there for more range if that's what you want, but I run them with standard pellet shots. Reliably kill targets 30 meters away no problem, and one shot targets close range provided your aim is on. Just don't spray and pray, the cone is to small for that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 03:47:24 am by Jelle »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8318 on: October 25, 2013, 04:58:32 am »

I'm working towards unlocking extended magazines for my bursters, and then I'll go for longer range MAX shotguns since grinders are pretty inaccurate. It'll only take me 3400 certs to get there, 4400 if I want extended magazines on the new shotguns, too...

MAXes sure are expensive.

They were so good, the forum whined until SOE nerfed 'em.  I hardly use my Duo-Burster MAX now, and I had just bought the extended mags for both when the nerf-hammer fell.

In other news, I'm going back to hunting Vanoobs, when you shoot them, they have the decency to die......if they're in the mood that is.  You can shoot the TR until you've gone through a few magazines and all you accomplish is getting their attention, then it's run and/or die.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:00:38 am by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8319 on: October 25, 2013, 05:26:49 am »

Actually i do that because i'm running an engie with AI mines. Throwing mines around is kinda natural for me so i didn't mention it.
Basically i'm running either engie or HA... and i use HA only for AV/AA duties with either skep or grounder.
Everything else? engy engy engy.
Might explain my pretty bad K/D ratio of 0.9 since engies don't really get any combat abilities like flying (LA) or extra shields (HA).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: October 25, 2013, 09:07:40 am »

Are you kidding? Engineers are hands-down the best camping class with the right setup especially in places like biodome tele rooms. Just get the carbine with the UGL, set up your turret to cover your back, drop your ammo box, and pop people with rifle grenades whenever they show their heads. I've gone up to absurd session KDRs doing that, especially when running with an outfit to help block other entry routes. Pretty much any time you find a pitched fight, find a good vantage point and start putting grenades into clusters and around likely corners.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8321 on: October 25, 2013, 09:50:31 am »

They were so good, the forum whined until SOE nerfed 'em.  I hardly use my Duo-Burster MAX now, and I had just bought the extended mags for both when the nerf-hammer fell.

Oh yeah, I'm quite aware. NC MAXes still consistently under perform compared to the other MAXes just because of our poor AI and AV weapons. Whenever I see another MAX, I simply use my charge ability to get the heck out of there. It's no contest. I've pumped entire clips of my extended mag, slug Grinders into ZOE MAXes and still not killed them. It's ridiculous.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: October 25, 2013, 10:03:35 am »

Oh yeah, I'm quite aware. NC MAXes still consistently under perform compared to the other MAXes just because of our poor AI and AV weapons. Whenever I see another MAX, I simply use my charge ability to get the heck out of there. It's no contest. I've pumped entire clips of my extended mag, slug Grinders into ZOE MAXes and still not killed them. It's ridiculous.

NC complaining about their MAXes? HAHAHAHA. Try playing VS MAXes. They're shit for absolutely everything, and they didn't even get their special ability from PS1 to make them slightly less shit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: October 25, 2013, 10:13:15 am »

You're not ZOEing hard enough.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: October 25, 2013, 10:38:58 am »

Get Aegis shield. The trick is to raise the shield once you're empty and reloading, then lower it once you're ready. You can keep reloading while holding the shield.

NC complaining about their MAXes? HAHAHAHA. Try playing VS MAXes. They're shit for absolutely everything, and they didn't even get their special ability from PS1 to make them slightly less shit.

No, can't figure it out. Are you trolling or genuinly think vanu maxes are shit?
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 826