Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1086050 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10545 on: June 03, 2014, 05:37:33 pm »

The 3.4x Red Dot sight reticle will now show up better at night.
.... it's almost like they heard my little rant

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: June 03, 2014, 05:51:57 pm »

Ew, 3.4x zoom.

Fun fact: all the non-overlay scopes, which are the 1x, 2x, 3.4x, and 4x scopes, are misaligned by a few pixels depending on your field of view setting and probably your resolution.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: June 03, 2014, 05:57:52 pm »

Yeah pretty much, it's espeically bad while you're moving because the sight is painted onto the model and it bounces around instead of staying in the center of the screen like normal

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: June 03, 2014, 09:34:15 pm »

I know most people are pretty adamant that the factions are all pretty much balanced, but if you HAD to pick out the faction that you consider superior (even if only very slightly), what would it be?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: June 03, 2014, 09:43:42 pm »

I've only played one faction so I can't give you a good answer, but it does sound like TR get screwed over in certain ways (They don't like their MBT's at all and the MAX ability is apparently pretty meh). It seems to me that VS, at least on Waterson, generally has 'better' players overall, but that's not really what you're asking... The NC seems to complain that their ESF is pretty crappy in that it's a large target that's pretty slow. Nobody likes the Jackhammer it seems, and people don't find the Lasher very useful (and by lasher I mean the VS faction-specific heavy weapon, that's what it's called right?)

So, I guess you could say that the balance comes from certain things being really crappy for people...

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: June 03, 2014, 10:08:01 pm »

IMO, the TC is the weakest, with NC and VS fluctuating on which is more powerful depending on what SOE decided to balance that week.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: June 03, 2014, 10:47:07 pm »

I know most people are pretty adamant that the factions are all pretty much balanced, but if you HAD to pick out the faction that you consider superior (even if only very slightly), what would it be?

Vanu

Full disclosure: I've barely played in the last two months or so, things might be different now.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: June 03, 2014, 11:30:23 pm »

Second Vanu. No bullet drop is kinda awesome for long range, and the Lasher is kinda hilarious. Will it absolutely tear crap to shreds like the TR and NC heavy weapons? No. However, it is a no bullet drop machine gun of exploding orb death that can really play havoc with doors and other choke points. Plus it can be hilarious to shell a Sundie with it. The ESF is a bit of a skeet target, but our MBT is fun and can end up anywhere. I've seen them on top of the odd spawn room at times.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: June 03, 2014, 11:56:43 pm »

Vanu by just a little bit, but it's not as bad as it was a few months ago. I choose Vanu because they have the only really good anti infantry tank secondary and don't hesitate to use it. I don't think they should change it, they should just give the other empire specific AI weapons large magazines so they can be used to hinder infantry at long range in the same fashion. A large magazine could even be an over buff for the marauder; hard to tell with the C85 because it would still be a shotgun at long range. To be honest I'm not too familiar with either. C85 is still thought to be quite bad so I never get to gun one and I don't play my TR character except to login for welfare certs.

People still complain about Orions but the flavor of the month seems to have switched back to Liberators and to a lesser extent Magrider PPA spam.

The prowler could use a boost, I think maybe if it was faster it would be better. It has lockdown but it's an odd fit with the fastest empire specific tank. Maybe it could be changed to lock the turret horizontally in a fixed position while still being mobile.

The TR max with chainguns isn't so great beyond infantry slaying, but with pounders it's pretty good at multiple roles. Their max lockdown can be ok in some narrow circumstances like shooting out of a doorway that has a limited line of sight inside like that set of stairs leading up to the left of the SCU shield gen in a biolab but it's asking for a HA to rocket you there, or a C4 from above most places.

I like the Reaver but I use Dogfighting frame which seems to have slightly less of a problem with ground fire. I only have it because I picked it up early. It works okay with stealth armor because it's easy to get 10m from someone's tail if you aren't autospotted and stay on it while you aim for two magazines of airhammer. Other frames are probably better.

Airhammer is the worst of the AI noseguns for AI due to only being okay at close range and unusable against infantry at more than that. The upside is it's pretty good versus air. This is unlike other empire's anti-infantry noseguns, but ONLY if you can get close is it useful. It does a lot of damage to libs but a competent gunner will have no problem nailing you if you aren't dodging when the lib turns it's belly to you. It can be used at long range to plink libs and galaxies because they are big, slow, and much clumsier in the air than esfs, so you can at least tap them from long distance with many of the pellets while you fly closer. Don't expect to win a hover fight with esfs using it; you'll want to try to get close and that means trying to dodge bullets as you fly towards them as they hover and shoot at you. Your best bet is staying in flight mode and afterburning with stealth armor onto someone's tail while they are unaware of you or away from enemies that have spotted you. If there are friendly air in the area and you use dogfighting frame like me, you can try out turning an ESF trying to nosegun you until they are intercepted. Otherwise you should afterburner with airhammer away to friendly lines  if you are being shot at.

The Jackhammer is a great gun, if you use NC heavy often you should get it for use in buildings. I don't use it much but it's great as it has enough range to go across a room with damage unlike a normal pellet shotgun. The Lasher is also great but for different reasons. It's probably the best infantry usable suppression weapon in the game. It's really good in large numbers because you just can't go near doors covered by more than one lasher to pop in and out.

Liberators seem a little too strong now, but not by too much. The skyguard/liberator relationship seems a little off in the liberator's favor because liberators will usually be able to disengage whenever they feel like it's a good idea while a skyguard without a building or cave to hide in is going to die to a tankbuster lighting them on fire with one magazine and then the gunner taking them out. Skyguards and other AA stack really well though because in addition to a Skyguard being harder to spot against the ground than aircraft in the sky often aircraft won't have time to find cover from them before 'melting' if the AA is concentrated enough. I guess I'd make the gunner's screen shake when being hit by flak. If that's not enough of a nerf, I'd make the Liberator more maneuverable to help avoid flak and make tankbuster do less damage as a consequence. The belly guns seem fine to me except the C-75 Duster, which by all accounts is by far the worst of the bunch. If it's that inaccurate it should have a huge outer radius that doesn't damage armored vehicles. If that makes it too good severely limit it's ammo pool and resupply time so it has to resupply very often and for longer in exchange for being very effective when not flying to reload.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:28:08 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10554 on: June 04, 2014, 12:23:09 am »

On a bit of a tangent, does anybody know how the spotting mechanic works? I tried to do a bit of searching but I suppose I'm not searching for it the right way. When you spot somebody, does it spot for every friendly in the same region, for everybody in sight range of the target, or is it proximity to the person doing the spotting? It seems like a scout on a hill spotting enemies for his teammates that are a fair distance away would be ineffective if the information didn't actually reach his teammates. For that matter, what about the 'marker' implant, does it follow the same rules? Say, an enemy is standing on the other side of a rock as a friend of yours is, and you're 300 or so meters away, if you spot or shoot him with marker implant, does he show up on your friend's minimap?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: June 04, 2014, 12:28:10 am »

On a bit of a tangent, does anybody know how the spotting mechanic works? I tried to do a bit of searching but I suppose I'm not searching for it the right way. When you spot somebody, does it spot for every friendly in the same region, for everybody in sight range of the target, or is it proximity to the person doing the spotting? It seems like a scout on a hill spotting enemies for his teammates that are a fair distance away would be ineffective if the information didn't actually reach his teammates.

Everybody.

This assumes the guy getting spotted renders. Otherwise they don't show up.

For that matter, what about the 'marker' implant, does it follow the same rules? Say, an enemy is standing on the other side of a rock as a friend of yours is, and you're 300 or so meters away, if you spot or shoot him with marker implant, does he show up on your friend's minimap?

I assume so but I don't know for sure.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: June 04, 2014, 12:32:30 am »

Okay, it's just the reason I ask is because I spot everybody I see. Constantly, even if I'm in a more CQB environment and I am in the middle of shooting them I will spot them, but it seems very few other people seem to bother. Plus, sometimes I'll spot enemies and nobody will make the effort to go after them. I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or if people just have really bad situational awareness...

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: June 04, 2014, 12:36:08 am »

Has anyone tried Decoy Grenades since they improved them? I was thinking about unlocking them and fooling around.

Okay, it's just the reason I ask is because I spot everybody I see. Constantly, even if I'm in a more CQB environment and I am in the middle of shooting them I will spot them, but it seems very few other people seem to bother. Plus, sometimes I'll spot enemies and nobody will make the effort to go after them. I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or if people just have really bad situational awareness...

I have to stop myself from spamming my q button when there is no one around to spot for or when I'm trying to sneak around.

Anyone else think the default NC voice sounds like the guy who does the voice of this cartoon character?

Spoiler: Jeff Fischer (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:42:40 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10558 on: June 04, 2014, 01:39:52 am »

Decoy grenades do absolutely nothing. :P

Seriously, all they do is alert people in the area that someone is here. Better to just not be discovered at all.

Speaking of discovery, I'd love if they'd release a silencer attachment for the revolver sidearm...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: June 04, 2014, 01:47:45 am »

Has anyone tried Decoy Grenades since they improved them? I was thinking about unlocking them and fooling around.

They make gun sounds and the grenade shows up as a dot on enemy minimaps. The dot doesn't move around like a player does, but it otherwise might fool people into coming into your general vicinity.
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 826