Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1082377 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10740 on: June 29, 2014, 03:01:02 am »

That said nothing about fourth-factioners  being a 'myth'.  It clearly stated that they have inconclusive data, as they cannot track multiple accounts currently.  I am not simply imagining things when I am rolling with a successful zerg and we sieze multiple bases, then the population massively dips on (insert faction) and suddenly jumps for (insert other faction), usually including a large percentage of the Zerg I'm currently rolling with.

I can't say if this is the result of multiple accounts or simply toon-jumping, but it definitely happens, and repeatedly over a relatively short time.  (Frequently on a near hourly basis)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:04:58 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: June 29, 2014, 03:30:06 am »

That's what happens when a platoon redeploys to somewhere else.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: June 29, 2014, 04:39:44 am »

He means global population.

I've noticed it happens once it is apparent which side is going to win an alert.

I hate to be the guy but search google for: selling planetside 2 account

You'll see stuff like this: https://ogrr.com/t1ft7/MMO-Marketplace/Other-Games/Selling-planetside-2-account?view=unread

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's apparently big money and it's not really new. For instance a long time ago someone leveled up to 50, did the crafting grind and did a lot of pvp in my Dark Age of Camelot guild basically maxxing the character out. Then they sold the account for several hundred dollars and all of a sudden it was a guy we'd never met. This was back <2000 when I was just becoming a teenager.

There was even a Chinese prison/slavery ring that forced people to play mmos and other online games to sell the stuff on sites like the above that was broken up when a helpful gamer listened to what one of the people being used told them before that person's game 'crashed' to wipe off the easily visible client chat data. The gamer then forwarded it to a helpful government who alerted the Chinese authorities.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:41:34 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10743 on: June 29, 2014, 06:09:58 am »

Hossin is AWESOME for newbie pilots like me. Using NAR and Engagement Radar, I got 6 A2A kills in a mossie!

The Unknown is because HeyJono bailed and jumped to death.

However, soon after that I got borrowed by SOCA and became this:

Spoiler: marks of my SHAME (click to show/hide)

Who knew Amerish was so fertile? >_>

Edit; funnily, I managed to kill a liberator with hellfire missiles while flying backwards and falling towards the ground.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:30:59 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10744 on: June 29, 2014, 06:14:42 am »

Borrowed? You get...borrowed?
* Tiruin throws all her envies at Skyrunner.
I envy that piloting streak ._.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: June 29, 2014, 06:17:44 am »

I had 35 kills streak in a Bulldog Harasser last night, so Harasser > Liberator 8)
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: June 29, 2014, 06:31:13 am »

Does anyone know how well cloaked Vehicle Stealth actually is?

Gonna assume you'll show on radar to everyone as normal if you've been spotted, thats obvious.
But up until the point you get to minimum distance (which is zero at max) from a target when else can they see you?
Are you revealed when you fire your guns?

I'm thinking stealth (which I find very useful for ground attacks on the other conts), might be more useful for A2A on Hossin due to the amount of trees and fog letting you hide and generally be sneaky.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10747 on: June 29, 2014, 09:05:09 am »

Firing guns reveals you but you disappear from the map quicker. Stealth only lowers the distance at which your vehicle is automatically spotted on local enemy infantry's and probably vehicle driver's maps. I don't think auto spot will spot you to other people, they still will have to mash q to do that.

Idea for a new Galaxy turret:

Spoiler: Big ass picture (click to show/hide)

I was going to use gimp to put a flash sitting on top of it as a memoriam to my own tragic attempts at similar heroic exploits but I found something even better lazier with google image search:

The question is will I explode if I tip over reaching for a distant bag of Cheet-Os? Or would I have to turbo off a bad angle first?

For some reason that Flash made me remember seeing a commercial for a safe stair lift for older people a few days ago. When I saw it I remember thinking, that would be pretty cool in PS2. A chair one person at a time can enter like a rumble seat, which gives them a ride up to a vantage point, and can be shot out of so their corpse falls hundreds of feet to the ground or at least down some stairs. It would be a fun thing to be a sniper around once corpse ragdolls are in.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:31:44 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: June 29, 2014, 09:35:14 pm »

The SABR is good but it's hard to click fast enough to fire at 600 rpm. I find it kind of difficult sometimes to accurately track targets while I'm trying to spam the left mouse button as fast as possible. When I succeed the gun is beastly.
600rpm burst fire weapon? Sounds like the Gauss Rifle Burst, which I can fire at the full 600 rpm after a bit of practice and some game mechanics knowledge.
Oversampling

Basically what you want to do is click to fire the gun once, then immediately click and hold until the first round in the second burst is fired, then click and hold until the first round in the third burst is fired etc. sort of like a pulse clicking motion if that makes sense. It is more difficult to do with high RPM weapons (TR), but it applies to any semi-auto/burst weapon I'm aware of so you can practice doing it with slower weapons like sniper rifles/pistols first to get the concept down, then move on to faster weapons. It's still better to have a full auto gun more often than not, because you can easily fire bursts with them or even single shots much more easily than people probably could in reality. However, with a burst weapon you have to use bursts even if you want a single shot unless you consciously switch over to single shot mode and then back against when you know you need burst fire, which you can't always predict. If the (NC assault rifle) burst weapon had some other kind of advantage over the base weapon other than first-shot accuracy I would use it all the time, but as it stands I can do the job just as well with the full auto version. If it had more attachments or smaller bloom when firing quickly then it would be a different story.
By the way, free NS-11P (platinum! medic rifle! shiny!) code: SummerReward
Thanks. I don't really use NS weapons and I already have the NS-11 but this is a neat little thing, and it's free =p
Idea for a new Galaxy turret
I don't think gliders would work very well in PS2, even though I know you're not being serious, hehehe. Gliders are more of a stealthy insertion thing, and with lattice links and no reason to ever go behind enemy lines there's no reason to have a stealthy insertion somewhere. Besides, even if you did have to go behind enemy lines there's likely to be nobody there in the first place because everybody in PS2 is a front line soldier, there are no player-driven logistics at 'home base' or even AI.
The question is will I explode if I tip over reaching for a distant bag of Cheet-Os? Or would I have to turbo off a bad angle first?
Tip Assist

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10749 on: June 29, 2014, 09:43:14 pm »

The glider would be a sitting duck to any ESFs in the area. Slow maneuvering with no weapons or heli-hovering? Yes please.

Speaking of vehicle attachments, I'd like if they added special addons to sundies like the artillery piece or mobile phalanx turrets or jump pads or grav lifts. All of these can only be used when the sundy is deployed, and the sundy doesn't have guns or AMS, and lower capacity. Maybe the jump pad could have an AMS, though. It would make the sundy much more versatile!

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10750 on: June 29, 2014, 09:58:05 pm »

Speaking of vehicle attachments...
When you mention these things I can only imagine the Suny basically becoming an all-purpose siege engine, similar to the kind that would be used in castle sieges in medieval times... siege towers (grav lifts) trebuchets (the artillery piece, or modern indirect fire artillery/mortars).

People have said that there needs to be more indirect fire weapons in the game. Just make a weapon with a lower muzzle velocity and high weapon arc and give it some spotting abilities with someone with binoculars of some sort and presto.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10751 on: June 29, 2014, 11:00:39 pm »

It would be nice if spotted targets pop up a targeting display on the artillery to shoot at. Obviously the display shouldn't br totally accurate, but it would be better than trying to guesstimate what's going on with no vision.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10752 on: June 29, 2014, 11:01:40 pm »

If only the tutorials actually taught how to aim at distances of 'greater than in front of you and fire'. :-\

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: June 30, 2014, 01:14:12 am »

If only the tutorials actually taught how to aim at distances of 'greater than in front of you and fire'. :-\
Play Vanu
It would be nice if spotted targets pop up a targeting display on the artillery to shoot at. Obviously the display shouldn't br totally accurate, but it would be better than trying to guesstimate what's going on with no vision.
It would be fairly simple. The reticle of the indirect fire weapon would display azimuth and elevation, and when someone points out a target on the map it would display what azimuth and elevation you need to hit that spot. Either that or have it so that when you shoot it displays a sort of splash on the minimap.

The current vehicle reticles should behave like the aircraft reticles, where the notches for aiming go from the center towards gravity instead of from the center down to the bottom of the screen. It usually isn't a big deal until you're on the side of a slope and it can be difficult to judge how much of a slope it is.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: June 30, 2014, 02:18:26 pm »

Speaking of killstreaks, check them timestamps:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That was some densely packed TR. I had two runs like that, third time they had tank mines :( At least it still got me 2 kills when I ran into it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 826