Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 751 752 [753] 754 755 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1082374 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11280 on: September 14, 2014, 04:25:26 pm »

OK but how often you get into a situation when driving a Vanguard where somehow you stumble into a anchored Prowler and are so far away from cover that the prowler can kill your vanguard before you can reach any cover even after using the "i win" shields... that can't be that often.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:28:02 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11281 on: September 14, 2014, 04:57:42 pm »

Not often, because I only pull the vanguard for armor columns. It's too slow and inflexible to just drive around like the mag/prowler/lightning. On the other hand, I play roaming lightning quite a lot - and coming across a prowler camping on a hill and not noticing immediately is something that happens. Magriders might be able to chase me for a hex and kill me, but a lockdown prowler can do it in just a few seconds.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:20:28 pm by Rex_Nex »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11282 on: September 14, 2014, 09:58:12 pm »

A-tross
The first shot recoil multiplier is what really sets the SABR apart from just about any other weapon I've used in Planetside, and both the Reaper and Tross have 1.5 and 1.33 FSR respectively, while the SABR only has 0.75. The great thing about the Reaper and the Tross is that they have 167 damage at maximum range, they are essentially little siblings to the lauded NC6 Gauss SAW.

Honestly, the whole reason I like the SABR so much is because of how similar it is to the NC1 Gauss Rifle, which I've used quite a lot, so it just felt more natural for me to use as opposed to the Cycler.
I was thinking of starting up in PS2. Any class/faction tips or recommendations for someone just starting out? :)
  • What server are you on?
  • Without membership you get three characters by default, and there are three factions to choose from, so it's impossible to make a 'wrong choice'.
  • Personally medic is my favorite class, but engineer doesn't need to rely on teammates being hurt/killed to get experience, as long as they're firing their guns (in or out of battle). If you choose medic you need to get the medic tool upgraded at least to the second-to-last upgrade. While the last upgrade is very nice it is very expensive for a newbie, and when you revive with a non-maxed-medgun you can squeeze a bit of healing points on people you revive (as they won't have full health) which means more ribbons, which means more XP, which means more delicious CERTS. The downside is you can't go and revive 5 guys in a chain and continue on like I usually do with the full upgrade, as you don't have to stick around to heal each one.
  • Although, your playstyle may vary, always try to be in a squad whether that means being in large platoons (my preferred choice) or in a smaller squad that does smaller fights, people may have 'squad boosts' activated that grant more XP, and XP-based interactions with squad mates (spotting an enemy that a teammte ends up killing, reviving a teammate etc.) gives more points than a random pug. Plus, you get a bit better sense of direction with objectives, and you can ask people questions. Typically people are friendly to newbies as far as I can tell. Be sure to have voice enabled, even if you don't have a microphone, as most communications in the game comes over voice chat (well, the important comms anyways)
  • Don't get the 'command channel' certification in the 'squad leader' certification list, and if you do have it muted permanently forever till the end of time to infinity.
NC MAX
One of the things I've noticed after having spent time playing as all three factions... rarely have I seen NC pull maxes for anything other than a MAX crash or a biolab. I don't really find NC MAX to be that enjoyable, as my only real option for enemies out of spitting distance is the Falcon (default AT weapon), and while I haven't tried the Mattock I can't imagine it would fare much better. Plus, the other two MAXes just feel a bit better simply because you can hold the mouse button(s) down for a constant stream of death for several seconds, while the NC MAX you have to click each time (with the exception of the Hacksaw), and while that may seem to be more of an annoyance than anything the fact that they're such short range just makes it that much worse. it's a shame because the objectives in most bases are inside buildings, where an NC Max would excel, it's just the typically open nature of the rest of the base and actually getting to that point that makes the NC Max so vulnerable. People don't want to be unable to fight back against threats out of their range on the way to the objective, so they don't bother pulling them in the first place... at least that's how I imagine people think.

It also seems that, at least with the platoons I run with the most, the NC tend to favor infantry play over combined arms. They will get 'stuck in' a fight and won't pull vehicles as they are lost, which leads to them being pushed back when enemies mass redeploy or send in their own vehicles. It just seems that NC is more conservative with their Nanites than the other factions, which is silly since they regenerate so quickly the way they are now.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11283 on: September 14, 2014, 11:01:35 pm »

Don't get the 'command channel' certification in the 'squad leader' certification list, and if you do have it muted permanently forever till the end of time to infinity.
...why? I do occasionally see stupid things in VS orders shout-chat (if anything appears from it in the first place), but that makes it sound kinda pointless.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11284 on: September 14, 2014, 11:14:02 pm »

Every person who's brought up command chat as a topic in game seems to regret ever getting it.
Plus, you can do better for 100 certs

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11285 on: September 14, 2014, 11:32:04 pm »

As far as my limited experience goes command chat is fascinating to listen to (Vanu, Emerald). It's usually very serious and lets you get a peek into how the higher ups are deciding the flow of battle. I actually managed to help win an alert by requesting reinforcements over command chat. (<3 minutes and only one territory, the difference between winning and losing, was being capped).

Your results may vary with other factions and servers.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11286 on: September 15, 2014, 09:25:11 am »

Thx Ozy for th advice!

I tried again last night, and the mystery of all enemy units rubber banding around subsided after about 10 minutes (oddly). I ran around as an engi for a while and then hopped in an AA turret and sort of watched action unfold from afar, pot shoting a few flyers and getting a feel for the action. Eventually I felt a little braver and decided to instant action into a squad. We advanced on a barracks and captured it briefly, before a shit ton of vehicles swarmed in and repulsed us, eventually a bunch of enemy fliers flew in and started harassing the spawn where we were located and we had to defend out points.

Usually I'm not too bad at fps, but my newness was definitely shining last night, even when I seemed to have the drop on people, my gun didn't seem to do enough damage before they were able to spin around and knock me down. I imagine their shields are much more upgraded than mine. I don't think I managed a single kill, though I did grab some assists :P
It was pretty late, so I decided to call it quits, all told I probably ended up with about 15 certs, which I guess I should dump into the medigun when I have a chance?

Despite being horrible, I had fun and will definitely give it another go tonight :)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11287 on: September 15, 2014, 09:29:04 am »

If you plan to use Engi a bit more, put them in the repair tool first. Otherwise yeah, medigun. Left click to heal, right click to revive, the higher-ranked the medigun is the less health they'll be missing on revive.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11288 on: September 15, 2014, 09:56:28 am »

I was getting bored of the SAW and EM6 and decided to try out the GD-22S - what a delight! Controllable recoil, great muzzle velocity, quick reload, and hot damn an LMG with actual hipfiring potential. 50 rounds is plenty enough for me, especially given it doesn't take half a year to reload like the other LMGs. Definitely recommending it!

Haven't tried the other cqc LMG (anchor), but it looks very similar, so I'd like to try that too - not sure which has less recoil (thats probably what would matter most), but the listed stats do favor the gd-22. Dat 2.2 sec short reload.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11289 on: September 15, 2014, 10:11:29 am »

You can't upgrade the capacity of your shield in PS2 Knave. Everyone has the same shield in regard to class (infilitrators get slightly less, heavies special ability is an "overshield" they can deploy). The shield upgrades that are available are just the recharge timer. There is an equipment called nanoweave that increases your health, but it's very minor and wouldn't matter if you got the drop.

What likely happened was that you don't know how to control your gun. You can't just point and shoot. Your DPS will drop significantly as your cone of fire increases from sustained fire. Most guns (especially long range) require burst shots. Easiest way to get used to this is to practice on the VR continent on dumby enemies (go to a warp terminal at a warpgate).

A quick tip for medics is to activate your area heal ability (unless you replaced it with the shield deploy thing) when getting the drop on an enemy. It'll actively heal you while you take shots, effectively letting you survive a shot or two more, which could make the difference, especially at medium to long range.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11290 on: September 15, 2014, 12:03:47 pm »

You can't just point and shoot

Sorry something in me has to smile and laugh when someone says that about a shooter.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11291 on: September 15, 2014, 12:13:02 pm »

Well you can full auto even at medium range with a lot of guns (pretty much everything with a compensator), but it takes a while to learn how to control the recoil, so short bursts are good advice.

Anyway, as far as certs are concerned, those 15 you got is ~15min of running around just rezzing people, so definitely go medic. Also, buy rez grenades when you can and upgrade your grenade bandolier for medic, and then just look for huge fights. You can get a dozen rezzes at once, at 90XP each (200xp = 1 cert), if you find a good meatgrinder.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:16:38 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11292 on: September 15, 2014, 12:52:09 pm »

Is there a point to upgrading the resist shield more than a couple times? I know it's cheap, but it looks like all it does it make it last longer/recharge faster - which is pretty pointless when you're never going to flick it on that long anyway.

Not sure whether I like it - using it with max ASC is cool and all, but I feel like I'm expected to flick it on every fight, and a heavy with his shields up is like a giant beacon of light. With NMG/nanoweave I'm usually tanky enough to take a few hits without needing to put on my overshield or my overshield losing any effectiveness. With resist you need to be at full shields/hp as often as possible.

On the other hand, ASC is awesome.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11293 on: September 15, 2014, 03:23:10 pm »

IIRC the resist value of resist shield increases the more you level it, I might be misremembering this though

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11294 on: September 15, 2014, 03:41:49 pm »

Adrenaline shied is supposedly the best one.
Resist shield increases the ammount of damage resistance with every level but it's meh now after the nerf it got. Furst the nanoweave got changed making it less synergetic and then resistance stacking was cut altogether making it pretty meh all the way.

It used to be coll being albe to just stand in a hail of lolpods with flak armor and resist shields on but it's not the case nowdays.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 751 752 [753] 754 755 ... 826