Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 495136 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2760 on: October 27, 2013, 09:56:00 pm »

Whos turn is it? I haven't been very active lately
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: October 27, 2013, 10:08:08 pm »

Whos turn is it? I haven't been very active lately
After my turn is yours.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: October 28, 2013, 01:19:42 am »

Gnorm's turn, with the new race, the clockworkers, gnomes, Lords of Dead and many other wonders is added! Thank you. Playtesting results will be put on front page as soon as they're reported, and then we can get to bugging him about bugfixes. :)

Next up - yes, it's you, kopout. How's it looking for you?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: October 28, 2013, 01:22:34 am »

Also, after Putnam's turn, it turns out we were at 714.9 kB. I added that. Gnorm's brings us to 786.1, a productive turn in data.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: October 28, 2013, 02:41:08 pm »

The new version is here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8087

The version contains a few bugs that have been noted on the download page, but they have been worked around and the game is perfectly playable. I'll be out with the bugfixes soon, but I'd recommend starting some play-tests, both to find new bugs and to attract attention to this mod.

Cool!  It looks like there's a few bugfixes on GitHub that didn't make it into your initial version, though.  I just merged your raws into the master branch on GitHub, could you please download it back so that all the fixes will be included in your bugfix version?  (Ps. Kopout, could you please do the same?  Thanks!)

Pps. Also, Kopout, I can't remember if I already asked this before, but since it's your turn now, would you mind including these tweaked announcements in your turn?  (You can just say "OK" and I'll merge them into the "master" branch on GitHub -- that's what I envisioned it being for: collecting third-party contributions and half-finished stuff during a turn.)

Also, I really should make those wood gem fixes I mentioned earlier, I've just been kind of busy lately.  I'll post about them here once I've got them fixed.  Unless someone else finds the time to do it sooner, of course.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 02:56:15 pm by vyznev »
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Zorg Master Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: October 28, 2013, 06:41:25 pm »

I think I'll do a play test for this version. I hope I can contribute by trying to spot bugs.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: October 28, 2013, 09:08:22 pm »

Cool!  It looks like there's a few bugfixes on GitHub that didn't make it into your initial version, though.  I just merged your raws into the master branch on GitHub, could you please download it back so that all the fixes will be included in your bugfix version?  (Ps. Kopout, could you please do the same?  Thanks!)
Will do, and don't worry about anything. I honestly forgot about the raws you posted, though I will add them to the bug-fix, and I hope to be just as efficient for the final release of my turn as I was for the initial.

By the by, you seem to be a more experienced modder than I. If it is not too much trouble, perhaps you could look into the clockworker raws to see as to why they refuse to follow designations?

EDIT: I'm having trouble with the format of the merged files. I appreciate the effort, but I'll merge them myself.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:49:07 pm by Gnorm »

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: October 29, 2013, 01:36:04 am »

EDIT: I'm having trouble with the format of the merged files. I appreciate the effort, but I'll merge them myself.

OK.  Out of curiosity, what kind of trouble?  If I knew what it is, I might be able to fix that for others.
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: October 29, 2013, 01:41:17 am »

OK.  Out of curiosity, what kind of trouble?  If I knew what it is, I might be able to fix that for others.
When the merged raws are downloaded and run in Notepad,t the text is untraversable and tangled, so much so that it would be easier to do it myself than to try to navigate the files.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: October 29, 2013, 02:16:39 am »

Don't use Notepad.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: October 29, 2013, 03:38:35 am »

When the merged raws are downloaded and run in Notepad,t the text is untraversable and tangled, so much so that it would be easier to do it myself than to try to navigate the files.

Ah... I think it's probably a newline issue.  If you download the raws using a Git client on Windows, it gives you Windows line endings (CR+LF), but if you just download the zip file you get Unix-style line endings (LF only) by default.  Notepad doesn't recognize those as line breaks.  (Wordpad does, as do most third-party editors.)

Anyway, I think the easiest solution is to just make Git always use CRLF line endings for text files; that way Notepad will be happy, and Unix editors should cope.  I think I managed to do that (and fixed one broken data file in the process); could you download the zip file from GitHub again and check whether it's more Notepad-friendly now?

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: October 29, 2013, 04:44:25 pm »

Just noticed an issue with Gnorm's raws: the files plant_kopout.txt and plant_koput.txt are duplicates of each other.  Duplicate raws are bad for you, m'kay? :D

I've fixed it on GitHub; please download the latest version, or at least delete plant_koput.txt from your copy to avoid any surprising alligator housing incidents.

Also, the files c_variation_glass_angel_STL.txt, creature_disease_insects_STL.txt and creature_syntest_STL.txt are missing an [OBJECT:foo] tag (in the latter two it seems to be commented out), while in interaction_good_happy_weather_STL.txt the tag is misspelled (underscore instead of colon).  I think that means that DF will ignore anything in those files.  Is that intentional?

(Ps. As you might've guessed, I'm working on a DF raw sanity checker script. Will put it on GitHub once it's a bit more complete. At the moment, those are exactly the issues it will detect.)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: October 29, 2013, 04:45:47 pm »

Actually, we were perplexed as to why good weather wasn't working, as we intended to have that and sandstorms. Good find!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: October 29, 2013, 04:47:45 pm »

(Ps. As you might've guessed, I'm working on a DF raw sanity checker script. Will put it on GitHub once it's a bit more complete. At the moment, those are exactly the issues it will detect.)

You mean like this?

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: October 29, 2013, 05:21:26 pm »

Actually, we were perplexed as to why good weather wasn't working, as we intended to have that and sandstorms. Good find!

OK, I can fix that typo.

I also finally figured out what all those "nothing" creatures that show up in the arena mode list are. Zanzetkuken, would you mind if I add a [NAME:] tag to your generic base dragons while I'm at it?  (It shouldn't show up in-game anyway, since they don't have any biome tags.)

You mean like this?

Cool, that looks a lot better than my half-assed Perl script.  I'll have to download and play with that.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 261