Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any Tips For The Layput Of A Fortress  (Read 1896 times)

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any Tips For The Layput Of A Fortress
« on: August 10, 2018, 12:44:44 pm »

Just dont feel my fortresses are very well designed,
It will probably take you 10 seconds to read this digital text on your monitor. And then ponder its metaphorical meaning.

Slaves To Kek God Of Creation
Chapter II: Meme Magic

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Any Tips For The Layput Of A Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:23:33 pm »

There's a lot that could be discussed, but I'll just start off by saying that I've really taken to the idea of a multiple tile central staircase.  I usually ring that with rooms with workshops that are specialized by level so that work is reasonably efficient.  That is, smelting and forging go on a level together, weaving and dying go on a level together, and so on.  I usually make living spaces on a level together, branched off on four wings away from the central staircase, although I branch out to a second level of living space if needed.

More recently I've tried for more organically designed forts that are a combination of above and below ground along mountainsides, but I haven't designed a fort like this in a way that I like yet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:03:04 pm »

There's been many threads on this before; try searching for fortress design.

That aside, as far as efficiency goes probably the most important thing you can do is raw materials close to workshops. Ex, if your smelter is going to melt 200 pieces of gear and 100 magnetite boulders(heavy!), it'd be best if the magma smelter was built above ramps/stockpiles for those on one side so he only needs to walk 1 tile to retrieve next item. Doing this instead of having central stockpile of magnetite the enclosed by walls smelter retrieves from is more helpful than making the furnace operator sleep in the most distant corner of the map hurts.

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 02:09:27 pm »

There's a lot that could be discussed, but I'll just start off by saying that I've really taken to the idea of a multiple tile central staircase.  I usually ring that with rooms with workshops that are specialized by level so that work is reasonably efficient.  That is, smelting and forging go on a level together, weaving and dying go on a level together, and so on.  I usually make living spaces on a level together, branched off on four wings away from the central staircase, although I branch out to a second level of living space if needed.

More recently I've tried for more organically designed forts that are a combination of above and below ground along mountainsides, but I haven't designed a fort like this in a way that I like yet.

Maybe it would be better to specifically have dwarves living quarters on the floor of there specific profession and then assign them a room. Then have one floor with temples a museum and a library. Then have a big meeting hall somewhere on a middle level of the fort with a meeting hall, special quarters, a crypt, a water room with an aqueduct leading from a river or an aquifer so you can get water during the winter.

And for the forts entrance have it be a long 5 wide hall way which has at least one turn with guard dogs. With fortifications for walls and a barracks all around the tunnel with ballistas.

Well I think I have a fort design thought out. Thanks man.
It will probably take you 10 seconds to read this digital text on your monitor. And then ponder its metaphorical meaning.

vvAve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 02:26:40 pm »

I am currently trying to design an entire fort to upload into quickfort. My levels go like this:
  • Maze with traps
  • Barracks
  • Tavern/food
  • Wood industry
  • Stone industry
  • Furniture stockpile
  • Cloth industry
  • Soap/Hospital
  • Finished Goods stockpile
  • Meat/Leather
  • Metal industy
  • Farms (To set up a challenge and I don't like how dug out soil looks like)
  • Water/Magma reservoir
  • Cave outpost
Did I forgot anything? Also, where would you put places like nobles chambers, library or temple in my layout?

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 03:51:37 pm »

I am currently trying to design an entire fort to upload into quickfort. My levels go like this:
  • Maze with traps
  • Barracks
  • Tavern/food
  • Wood industry
  • Stone industry
  • Furniture stockpile
  • Cloth industry
  • Soap/Hospital
  • Finished Goods stockpile
  • Meat/Leather
  • Metal industy
  • Farms (To set up a challenge and I don't like how dug out soil looks like)
  • Water/Magma reservoir
  • Cave outpost
Did I forgot anything? Also, where would you put places like nobles chambers, library or temple in my layout?

1. A 5-9 tile wide tunnel with traps and guard dogs and barracks (With quarters for military and a lever room) and ballista with the trade depot at the end with the finished goods stock pile surrounding it.

2. Non-specific industry/s with its own respective stock pile and quarters for the dwarves who work in said industry.

3. Non-specific industry/s with its own respective stock pile and quarters for the dwarves who work in said industry.

4. Non-specific industry/s with its own respective stock pile and quarters for the dwarves who work in said industry.

5. Non-specific industry/s with its own respective stock pile and quarters for the dwarves who work in said industry.

6. Non-specific industry/s with its own respective stock pile and quarters for the dwarves who work in said industry.

7. Lever-room, tavern, meeting hall, temples, crypt, museum, library, hospital, medical dwarf quarters, furniture stockpile, aqueduct (leading from aquifer, river or caverns), prison, colosseum, statue garden, and quarters for special dwarfs (Nobles, manager etc.)

8. Non-specific industry/s with its own respective stock pile and quarters for the dwarves who work in said industry.

What ever you want to do in caverns. EDIT: Set up farms and sheep and tanning and buthering in the caverns.

Before you can get lava furnaces just have regular furnaces for your metal industry a few levels above the magma level so later on you can upgrade you furnaces.

Between all the numbered layers have at least 3 blocks between them. Also if you want mine carts place everything with them in mind. So you have 4 wide corridors throughout the fort. Place and atom smasher on each floor to get rid of rocks and corpses and worn out items. Also place gates on each level to block stuff off.

EDIT: Also dont be afraid to be creative.

EDIT: I meant 3 layers between floors not 2.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:23:21 pm by PlatinumSun »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 04:03:05 pm »

Tips from me:
 1) Keep your butchers near your animals AND your refuse Quantum stockpile, it saves a lot of time and rot
 2) Building Vertical Piles of rooms may sound inconvenient, but when you consider that a stack of rooms seven deep takes less time to climb down through then a horizontal line does to walk past, while also requiring far less doors it starts to make more sense.
 3) Its a good idea to train your military dwarves near any entrance you breach into the caverns, it will save you a few dead dwarves when a jabberer decides to wander up your central stair case.
 4) Stone is heavy- Your stone stockpiles should be near your Masons and smelters because of that.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 09:45:23 pm »

Think cube. Big horizontal layers look impressive, but they're inefficient. Instead, spread your fort over many z-levels, with lots of stairs or ramps. Try to keep your planned spaces less than 30 tiles square.

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 12:03:46 am »

All these tips are good for maximizing efficiency, but you people are forgetting to account for the #1 killer of fortresses: FPS death.

Fortresses designed around multiple Z levels are horrible for FPS, especially ones with a central staircase, since it seems that preference is given to pathfinding on the current level this has been disproven thanks to Fleeting Frames. However, going down a level is still better than a sprawling hallway that takes you across the map. The most efficient design, FPS-wise, would be compact, with short hallways leading directly from one place to another- Side rooms are bad for FPS, since the pathfinder needs to look at them before moving up the hallway. A wide open space is better for pathing than a mazelike series of rooms, so keep that in mind when creating bedrooms.

You can play around with this site to see a demonstration of the pathfinding algorithm that dwarf fortress uses: https://qiao.github.io/PathFinding.js/visual/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:37:35 am by SpeardwarfErith »
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud: Hello Ago. Life is, in a word, death.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!
The iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!

Battle Royale Mode: A DFHack Script

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 12:26:55 am »

Is there?

Quick test with this setup:

||

Ordered two construction jobs at the end of tunnels.

Right one was marked for construction later, and was construced while moving over leftmost floor:

||

Returned over floor, then left one was constructed, moving into trench.

||
(screw blinking, I had to reshot that five times)

Then returned over ramp trench.

It seems preference for using left tunnel of two equal ones overrides whatever malus is there for z-level changing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:28:35 am by Fleeting Frames »

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 12:38:34 am »

Try it again with stairs, ramps are a whole different mess.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud: Hello Ago. Life is, in a word, death.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!
The iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!

Battle Royale Mode: A DFHack Script

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 12:44:23 am »

You can play around with this site to see a demonstration of the pathfinding algorithm that dwarf fortress uses: https://qiao.github.io/PathFinding.js/visual/
Which algorithm on that page does DF use?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 12:52:33 am »

Try it again with stairs, ramps are a whole different mess.
k

Setup:

||

Right:

||

Same as with ramps, moved to build from the left, returned through stairs on the right.

Left:

||

Same as before, moved to construct through stairs, returned over floor.

vvAve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 01:10:31 am »

Between all the numbered layers have at least 2 blocks between them
For water, magma and mechanisms I assume?

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 08:57:13 am »

Basiclly. Also it gives you more room and you wont accidently dig holes in your floors. Also 3 layers not 2.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 08:59:06 am by PlatinumSun »

Pages: [1] 2